Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This looks terrible right from the start, with clunky interface, horrible art direction and situational-seeming items. At least you don't have to do a minigame whenever you want to hack something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think you owe it to your viewers to memefy every single sign you come upon. Make Chicago the lolcats capital of the world!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fairly sure Ubisoft does this so they can sell affiliated merchandise (worked with AssCreed). The fact that it kills any immersion that remained after the terrible artifacting and the protagonist's perpetual cold is obviously secondary.
I'll second that the part where you remotely detonate grenades and drop boxes at people by camera looks fairly fun. Makes me wish they'd expand the whole Rube Goldberg machine of death concept instead of throwing in mechanics simply for the sake of them being there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

The idea that someone can remote detonate grenades you're carrying - through the same system as your employers use - is just absolutely goddamn terrifying.
Suddenly I'm reminded of that broadcast from Blood Dragon warning enemies of a shipment of faulty grenades that don't explode unless you yell "Grenade out!". Followed by a broadcast apologizing for any casualties caused by the previous broadcast.
Can't seem to find it on video though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's just mediocre. Thing is... aggressively so.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tomanton posted:

Clearly whatever they were doing worked since they have a blockbuster hit on their hands and hopefully the Aiden of the sequels will have more depth.
Or they won't and this game ends up being a case of genre-defining mediocrity like Halo. Bad games selling copies is generally a bad omen.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Like AssCreed. Although they manage to pull a good game out of that once in a while.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

I googled just to see what kind of retard weapons are those... Watch Dogs wiki suggest that some weapons (like the AK) have the exact same model as in Far Cry 3. Nice job on the recycling.
Really, when you have a game about a gravely rear end in a top hat of a protagonist performing bullshit magic and coating it with this week's technobabble, least you could do is steal from Blood Dragon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
^AssCreed 1 level of innovation, totally next-gen.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This part really looks like Saints Row. It's like... you're playing a good game. Hell, Ubisoft should take a lesson and do a non-serious AAA game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't think the thought of ever actually climbing the things occured to me past the tutorial. I mean, you get access to aircraft from the get go, why not use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, in a game about technobullshitmagic and surveillance everywhere, they don't do the stupid illegal auction electronically?

LoonShia posted:

Mechanically, this game could be an open-world Deus Ex game, if shooting didn't have to be your first response to every situation you approach.

Making it more viable to camera-stealth your way through your objectives would be a start, along with giving you more of an incentive to not kill everyone you meet.
Deus Ex and its ilk live on detailed area design, you need to put some care into making those alternate routes possible.
That something Ubisoft stopped doing long ago.

• Locked thread