Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wasn't an entire season of BB so incredibly racist that CBS would air Offensive Content warnings beforehand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Casting someone racist and homophobic is still probably better than casting someone unstable like Brandon Hantz.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Wasn't an entire season of BB so incredibly racist that CBS would air Offensive Content warnings beforehand?

Yes, but they didn't know that the people sucked before the show started.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
Therefore, knowing John Rocker is a gigantic rear end in a top hat is a step ahead for CBS casting!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

The first season? Either they cut a lot or it must have been pretty light because I just watched it and all it had was a few "I don't know what my army buddies would think of me if they saw me friends with Richard considering he's... you know..."

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Met posted:

The first season? Either they cut a lot or it must have been pretty light because I just watched it and all it had was a few "I don't know what my army buddies would think of me if they saw me friends with Richard considering he's... you know..."

He's talking about Big Brother. Specifically the season from last summer.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The big difference between BB and Survivor is that CBS can edit Survivor to make John Rocker look like a decent guy, while the Big Brother live feeds prevent them from doing that. Additionally you have a lot more downtime on Big Brother to be a racist.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

GaussianCopula posted:

The big difference between BB and Survivor is that CBS can edit Survivor to make John Rocker look like a decent guy, while the Big Brother live feeds prevent them from doing that. Additionally you have a lot more downtime on Big Brother to be a racist.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to a cleaned up "John Rocker is a good guy who got a bum rap" edit from the show. On Big Brother we see what the people are like whether CBS wants us to or not. I'm sure there have been plenty of vile people on Survivor (Clay from Thailand springs to mind) but all their worst moments get swept under the rug.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I'm not looking forward to a cleaned up "John Rocker is a good guy who got a bum rap" edit from the show. On Big Brother we see what the people are like whether CBS wants us to or not. I'm sure there have been plenty of vile people on Survivor (Clay from Thailand springs to mind) but all their worst moments get swept under the rug.

If Colton's worst moments didn't get aired, I can't imagine what they could be.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

If Colton's worst moments didn't get aired, I can't imagine what they could be.

"Well you see, there's a difference between black people and n---" /editorlungesatthePC

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I know editing is a big part of it, but I also feel like that undersells the (generally) great casting on Survivor. During the big BB15 controversy last year, I read an article that pointed out that the cast of Big Brother is a group of people with so few life commitments that they can give up 100+ days to be on a reality show considered trashy by even reality show standards, all for a comparatively small prize and almost no compensation if they don't win. Compare that to Survivor where they are only gone for a month and a half and can still leave with decent money even if they lose, and it's no wonder that the people willing to go on Survivor are generally saner and better people.

Maybe if we could see live feeds of the island I'd feel differently, but I'd bet Survivor casts are generally much less racist, sexist, and/or ignorant than BB casts. I mean as a quick sanity check for this idea, Survivor has a much higher percentage of non-white, non-male winners than Big Brother.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah Survivor has a long history of casting better human beings than Big Brother...

Definitely not editing.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
I thought Clay got a bum rap by the jury house talking poo poo about him that wasn't true? Also Brian definitely takes the cake for most awful human being on that season.

Fairplay owns, dead grandma is probably the best lie ever told on Survivor. The best part being that if he made it to the end he would have won.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I love Fairplay on the show, off the show he's a total sleazebag.

Just listen to the episodes of RHAP where he's in a hotel room bed with a prostitute the whole time, or the one where he's so drunk he can barely speak and rambles on for almost three hours. It got so bad he's one of the only people that's been banned from RHAP, even if I think Rob reversed the ban a year or two later.

Edit: Almost missed an opportunity to link Danny Bonaduce knocking Fairplay's teeth out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHHuojbVw8Y

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 1, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

BGrifter posted:

I love Fairplay on the show, off the show he's a total sleazebag.

Just listen to the episodes of RHAP where he's in a hotel room bed with a prostitute the whole time, or the one where he's so drunk he can barely speak and rambles on for almost three hours. It got so bad he's one of the only people that's been banned from RHAP, even if I think Rob reversed the ban a year or two later.

He was on twice this year and he seemed to have cleaned up his act a lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GaussianCopula posted:

He was on twice this year and he seemed to have cleaned up his act a lot.

I'm actually really glad to hear it. He was a pretty screwed up guy for a long time. Last I heard his marriage fell apart and he was pretty much living inside a bottle. That three hours of drunken rambling was really sad.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

BGrifter posted:

Last I heard his marriage fell apart and he was pretty much living inside a bottle. That three hours of drunken rambling was really sad.

Every word of this now perfectly describes Russell Hantz.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I remember him coming down to the local geek con in Auckland and nobody was in his queue. He had a bunch of survivor items on his desk with exorbitant price tags.

$1000 for Fairplay's buff

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Oh poo poo, I just remembered that Colton's fiance died in a work related incident not long ago. I'd say it's karma but eh...

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

It's been too long since I've watched Thailand but I don't remember why everyone hates Brian. I just remember him being ultra manipulative and everyone fell for his good guy schtick. Do people just hate a villain winning?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mills posted:

It's been too long since I've watched Thailand but I don't remember why everyone hates Brian. I just remember him being ultra manipulative and everyone fell for his good guy schtick. Do people just hate a villain winning?

"Former Survivor: Thailand winner Brian Heidik was arrested early Tuesday morning and charged with battery and cruelty to animals after he shot a puppy with a bow and arrow."

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/survivor-thailand-winner-brian-heidik-arrested-for-shooting-puppy-4210.php

Most people frown on shooting puppies.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I just meant within the show. People disliked him before that incident. I can't remember the reasons!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

He reminded me of the stereotypical used car salesman.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Yes he was a manipulative greasy used cars salesman, I get it, why did he not deserve to win? My recollection is that he outplayed like a motherfucker.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Mills posted:

Yes he was a manipulative greasy used cars salesman, I get it, why did he not deserve to win? My recollection is that he outplayed like a motherfucker.

You asked why people hated him, not why he didn't deserve to win. v:shobon:v

I actually agree with you that he deservedly won his season and I imagine most people would, but the final four all sucked/were boring and it was a pretty awful season in general for a few reasons. I don't care if a good or bad guy wins as long as they are entertaining.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Doflamingo posted:

Oh poo poo, I just remembered that Colton's fiance died in a work related incident not long ago. I'd say it's karma but eh...

Gross. Don't say that.

Brian deserved to win Thailand 150 to 200%.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Season had some problems though. That Ted drama sucked. Shii-Ann boot owned.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Caleb's death sucks and is absolutely terrible.

Grindgate, however, was hilarious and unironically the high point of Thailand.

And I think Clay actually would have won, but Helen told Ted about some kind of racist comment which is specifically why Clay lost that vote, and the game. That led to stricter Ponderosa rules. But really, Clay winning is the only thing that could have made Thailand even worse.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I find the whole concept of Ponderosa is counter to how I think the game should work. Sequester every jury member and don't let them talk to each other. The only information they should have as an individual is what they knew when they left, and what the final contestants are smart enough to explain to them.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Mills posted:

I find the whole concept of Ponderosa is counter to how I think the game should work. Sequester every jury member and don't let them talk to each other. The only information they should have as an individual is what they knew when they left, and what the final contestants are smart enough to explain to them.

Jeff agrees with this but has stated that they just don't have the resources to do it.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

That sucks. :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dont think I finished Thailand and I have zero desire to rewatch it but if I remember it correctly I felt Brian was the deserving winner but he just was sleazy as hell and that made him no fun to watch at all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It was also really frustrating watching the dummies he was up against buying every lie he fed them hook line and sinker.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Doflamingo posted:

This doesn't even make sense? It's Karma that a nice guy died because his boyfriend was a douchebag? Like what?

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

It was also really frustrating watching the dummies he was up against buying every lie he fed them hook line and sinker.

It was almost like an early RI!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Propaganda Machine posted:

And I think Clay actually would have won, but Helen told Ted about some kind of racist comment which is specifically why Clay lost that vote, and the game. That led to stricter Ponderosa rules. But really, Clay winning is the only thing that could have made Thailand even worse.

I believe I remember hearing that Brian was actually the one who fabricated some sort of story about Clay saying something racist in order to discredit him since he knew he wanted to take Clay to the end with him as a goat. Ted was actually good friends with Clay during the game and wanted to vote for him to win, but after hearing the rumors about "Clay being a racist" switched his vote to Brian.

Also, I am pretty sure that both Brian AND Clay were called out for saying something racist, and the Clay one was a fabrication while the Brian one was actually true but he deflected it somehow. (I believe Brian said, regarding Ted and the fact that Vecepia won the most recent season that they watched, "We can't let two of them win in a row.")

I'm not trying to adamantly defend Clay because he sure came off as a bigoted little troll certainly capable of saying racist things, but I'm just reporting some of the info I've heard after the fact.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I feel like I should go rewatch Thailand.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
To be fair, the early game is full of funny. Grindgate was amazing, and Sook Jai was a complete mess.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
thailand was one of my least favorite seasons the last time I binged the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

JakeP posted:

thailand was one of my least favorite seasons the last time I binged the series

Thailand mostly sucks and is only watchable because of how Heidik plays the game and because the Ted/Ghandia poo poo is hilarious. Although, to be honest, the more I watch that season, the more I start to feel like Heidik looks so good because of the incompetence of everyone else.

• Locked thread