Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Well I just watched that VSGl slip away while I was napping. Oh well there will be plenty of Nemelex to go around.

Congrats to roctavian on a nice win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Does TSO suppress my poisonous stinger mutation or is he going to put me in penance every melee aux attack?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

Does TSO suppress my poisonous stinger mutation or is he going to put me in penance every melee aux attack?
You voluntarily choose not to use the poison stinger while following TSO.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks kaschei

I'm a purple draco transmuter. Started out with Xom and got a nice mutation set and he gave me like 4000 gold. Donated half the money to Zin so i dont got hosed up again by my joking friend. Can't use my transmuts atm but it has been going OK and now my plan is to go TSO after xom gets mollified...

Hope i'm not missing anything :newlol:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think divine mutuations can ignore rmut, but I don't know if that includes Zin's divine rmut! And it would only be when xom decides to give you mutations and not when e.g. he decides to give you miscasts that give you mutations.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

This is the best way to get through Tar:7, I'm sure glad I brought cTele with me

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

kaschei posted:

I think divine mutuations can ignore rmut, but I don't know if that includes Zin's divine rmut! And it would only be when xom decides to give you mutations and not when e.g. he decides to give you miscasts that give you mutations.

Zin already protected me multiple times from all of Xom's random mutation effects after conversion, but yeah not sure about contamination etc.

Is there a way to see if you got the mollified message without scrolling endlessly thru the combat log? I might have missed it already.

E: Well here goes nothing!

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 30, 2014

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Oh hell yes, just ascended that guy for my second streaked win and for this very brief amount of time I'm ranked as the number 3 player in the tourny.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Humans Among Us posted:

E: Well here goes nothing!

It could possibly work out if i stayed with zin a lil longer and didnt die in spider 2 like a chump...

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

This is not good news for my .15 DgWn Slingmaster, though. Maybe I'll just go for three runes :ohdear:

EDIT: Speaking of Slingmaster, here's a question.I have 17 slings and no other weapon skills. Brand Weapon + a greatsling cost about as much as a scroll of Acquirement for me. Does my single-minded sling focus mean I'm likely to get a nice strong Greatsling with Acquirement? Or is it still smarter to go for the sure thing, even though it'll be weaker and I'll have to enchant it?

hito fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 30, 2014

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

spacejung posted:

Well I just watched that VSGl slip away while I was napping. Oh well there will be plenty of Nemelex to go around.

Congrats to roctavian on a nice win!

Thanks man! I've got a 100% winrate so far this tourney, let's see if can strea-h hahahaha probably not

edit: dead by killer bee! daang

Roctavian fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 30, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brannock posted:

I'm seeing an unreal amount of OOD monsters in 0.15 release that I don't ever remember seeing in 0.15 trunk and I played a lot of 0.15 trunk this summer.

For instance, a cyclops on D:10 (who died on two reflected large rocks :mmmhmm:)

A d:10 cyclops is only one floor out-of-depth, to be fair. (They normally start spawning on d:11.)

hito posted:

This is not good news for my .15 DgWn Slingmaster, though. Maybe I'll just go for three runes :ohdear:

EDIT: Speaking of Slingmaster, here's a question.I have 17 slings and no other weapon skills. Brand Weapon + a greatsling cost about as much as a scroll of Acquirement for me. Does my single-minded sling focus mean I'm likely to get a nice strong Greatsling with Acquirement? Or is it still smarter to go for the sure thing, even though it'll be weaker and I'll have to enchant it?

Acquirement is extremely unreliable. I'd go with the greatsling. Your call, though!

(I'd also probably start investing in other skills; raising skills past mindelay gives a pretty poor reward on investment, with most weapons.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
protip:cure your rot by standing next to a chaos knight ghost

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I thought i was going to get a win under 50k this time, but even though the turn counter on the gui said something like ~47800 turns after I won it said I took 51888 turns. What the heck? Am I completely misunderstanding what the counter thing means, cause it seems useless to me now.

e. If I knew I was over 50k I wouldn't have picked up the orb and probably gone for a few more runes instead.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

PleasingFungus posted:

Acquirement is extremely unreliable. I'd go with the greatsling. Your call, though!

(I'd also probably start investing in other skills; raising skills past mindelay gives a pretty poor reward on investment, with most weapons.)

The debate was sort of decided for me when I found a Brand Weapon scroll in a Bailey instead of a shop, as well as a buttload of Enchant Weapons. I'm still using the Hunting Sling because it's still destroying everything, but I'm probably about to go get the Greatsling. (And I was indeed chilling at 12 Slings until I found a manual of Slings.)

And don't worry, Slings are just the only *weapon* skill I have. I have a lot of Armor, Shields, Fighting, Evo as well. Basically I'm roleplaying a Gundam, running around, being invincible, and killing everyone with my chaingun slingshot. It's pretty rad.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

I thought i was going to get a win under 50k this time, but even though the turn counter on the gui said something like ~47800 turns after I won it said I took 51888 turns. What the heck? Am I completely misunderstanding what the counter thing means, cause it seems useless to me now.
Short answer: uncomment "# show game turns" in your rcfile.

The turns relevant for scoring (and the 50k turns banner) are player turns. If you attack three times with the dark maul, that's three player turns. If you attack three times with a quick blade while hasted, that's three player turns.

Since a few versions ago the show_gold_turns counter has defaulted to "game turns", which shows the absolute amount of time since you started your game (other than things like chei's step from time, I guess). More useful if you want to know how long it's taking you to swing your sword, less if you want to know how many turns you have to spare to win under 50k or whatever.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

e. If I knew I was over 50k I wouldn't have picked up the orb and probably gone for a few more runes instead.

Hit E while playing to see your turn-count.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

I can't think of a better place to appear...

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

TZer0 posted:

I can't think of a better place to appear...

Nice quickblade. Did that actually generate as random loot or did you convert from a gifting God?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Am I right in just assuming that TSO's aura has the opposite effect to Dith's, and would wreck any chance of being stealthy?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Wolfechu posted:

Am I right in just assuming that TSO's aura has the opposite effect to Dith's, and would wreck any chance of being stealthy?

It doesn't make you completely unstealthy, but it cuts your stealth significantly (by half maybe?). Usually that's not a problem, because TSO doesn't allow attacking enemies who haven't noticed you.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Character won!

Not My Leg posted:

Nice quickblade. Did that actually generate as random loot or did you convert from a gifting God?

I got it through a scroll of acquirement.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Not My Leg posted:

It doesn't make you completely unstealthy, but it cuts your stealth significantly (by half maybe?). Usually that's not a problem, because TSO doesn't allow attacking enemies who haven't noticed you.

Yeah, I'd forgotten that aspect of it. Not even an issue right now, playing a stealthy VSGl, but was intending to just grab a quick and dirty 3-runer if I get that far. I remembered pondering long and hard about coverting on another character though, but couldn't quite remember the specifics of why TSO was a bad career move in these cases.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Got Ruthless Efficiency II, the not using potions/scrolls until lair:8 banner. Got pretty hairy, because I had a cursed -1 chainmail and a cursed +0 handaxe on, and nothing to do about it. Also a cursed +1 evasion ring with a +6 one that I couldn't put on! Glad it's over. Had to really roll the dice against a komodo dragon and a spiny frog, slowed and poisoned with 7 HP left after zerking. Killed them both in one lucky hit, certainly shouldn't have made it through that one.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Is it even worth it for a Troll to Bladehands ?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

Is it even worth it for a Troll to Bladehands ?

They're still stronger than claws.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

dis astranagant posted:

They're still stronger than claws.

There are much better things you could be doing with that XP investment on a troll.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Wolfechu posted:

Everything in TSO halo, except you and maybe other holy stuff? is backlit and both visible and easier to hit, just like being under the effect of corona or fedhas sunlight or glowing due to contam. TSO makes you immune so that you're not easier for other stuff to hit.

Everything in umbra except you (if you follow Dith or Yred and have certain piety level) and profane servitors has a penalty to hit. I think being backlit cancels the umbra and makes you backlit? but I don't know!

I think both things have the quirk of affecting spell accuracy, so TSO is particularly good with rod of inaccuracy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Midgame melee superman:

There is not much that lives through more than a single swing

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

So many recent shoals deaths make sense now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Arrhythmia posted:

Hit E while playing to see your turn-count.

Or %!

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Man, just lost a dude who was doing pretty well in V:5. You can pack a Rod of Destruction and a Wand of Lightning specifically for Vault Wardens hiding behind stuff, but you can't make 'em hit.

Is there a more accurate cleaving evocable? Like is Fire secretly more accurate than Lightning for some reason?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think lightning is the least accurate bolt, to partly account for the fact that lightning bounces and its range doesn't reduce on hit. Fire/cold/draining are all equally accurate as far as I know.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Lightning bolt needs an accuracy bonus against anything in metal armor, or against anything made of metal.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Lightning bolt needs an accuracy bonus against anything in metal armor, or against anything made of metal.

That is not how magic works! It doesn't bounce off of metal walls, though (it grounds out).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Brannock posted:

There are much better things you could be doing with that XP investment on a troll.
Yeah, it's like getting haste castable in a three rune when you already have a wand of hasting and half dozen recharge scrolls. It's just not going to help as much as the other stuff you can do with that experience.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A bailey spawned an artifact steam dragon armor.

I'm playing a pale draconian.

:negative:

EDIT: Because I had to ID it - the cursed -3 steam dragon armour of the Valley {+Fly rPois Slay+6 Stlth--}

I guess I feel a little better now.

EDIT2:

Quiver which item? (- for none, * to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Quivering T - the cursed -3 steam dragon armour of the Valley {+Fly rPois Slay+6 Stlth--} for throwing.
Tossing away (i - inventory. (,) - cycle): T - the cursed -3 steam dragon armour of the Valley (quivered) {+Fly rPois Slay+6 Stlth--}
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line
You toss away the cursed -3 steam dragon armour of the Valley {+Fly rPois Slay+6 Stlth--}.
You hear a sizzling splash.

:911:

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 31, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Give it a proper burial, then.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kaschei posted:

Yeah, it's like getting haste castable in a three rune when you already have a wand of hasting and half dozen recharge scrolls. It's just not going to help as much as the other stuff you can do with that experience.

With typical troll stats it saves you about 10 levels of UC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

With typical troll stats it saves you about 10 levels of UC.

Is that compensating for the extra 0.2 or so delay also? How much experience does it take to cast blade hands reliably with typical troll stats, and do you want to rely on having that spell up instead of, say, phase shift, which probably saves you about 10 levels of dodging?

• Locked thread