Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Ugly John posted:

TEAMCAPTAIN is uglyjohn (on CZSO)
Any skill level welcome, play and die and play again.

I'm good at this (all I do is die), can I play? Also being on TZero's team would rock, we are pals.
SibleyIrresistible in cszo.

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Poulpe posted:

Maces convert into axes really well, just swap if you aren't like 20 exp levels into maces already.
Unfortunately I'm heavily invested into unarmed with claws and I just wielded the mace out of curiousity. :v:

Confusing Touch is nuts and one of my favorite spells ever.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

vOv posted:

Yeah, it annoys me how you can either have way better information presentation or a quick response rate.

I play in console but leave webtiles open, spectating on another monitor. I get the best of both worlds. Sometimes the webtiles display does lag the console one. (I'm primarily looking at console but if I want to chat I'm getting better at parsing webtiles.)

What I really like about console is seeing the whole map - I'm not used to the (relatively) tiny amount of tiles displayed at any one time on webtiles, and having to hit X and move around frequently to know where to run away to.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I play in console but leave webtiles open, spectating on another monitor. I get the best of both worlds. Sometimes the webtiles display does lag the console one. (I'm primarily looking at console but if I want to chat I'm getting better at parsing webtiles.)

What I really like about console is seeing the whole map - I'm not used to the (relatively) tiny amount of tiles displayed at any one time on webtiles, and having to hit X and move around frequently to know where to run away to.

If you right click and hold on the thumbnail map on webtiles you can look around without having to navigate around a little cursor :eng101:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Poulpe posted:

If you right click and hold on the thumbnail map on webtiles you can look around without having to navigate around a little cursor :eng101:

My hands aren't on the mouse though - that is a better ui but still not great for crawl I think? It's hard to beat having all the information cleanly presented on one screen.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

My hands aren't on the mouse though - that is a better ui but still not great for crawl I think? It's hard to beat having all the information cleanly presented on one screen.

Completely fair, and to each his own. I just "grew up" on webtiles, I guess, and I can't imagine going back and trying to remember that b is a harmless bat and s is the vicious death yak v:v:v

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Ugly John posted:

Right then. New team, tentatively named Crawling's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose (until someone thinks of a better one). TEAMCAPTAIN is uglyjohn (on CZSO).

You've got a spot if you want it.

As do you.

Deal! :)

Adding your name to my rc once I've fixed up my server.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Poulpe posted:

Completely fair, and to each his own. I just "grew up" on webtiles, I guess, and I can't imagine going back and trying to remember that b is a harmless bat and s is the vicious death yak v:v:v

Yeah I hear you - it'd be similarly hard for me to remember that "little picture of goblin looking thing A" is a harmless goblin and "little picture of goblin looking thing B" is a dangerous gnoll. I just wish there were a better way to see enemy weapons in console, because having those at a glance in tiles is great.

Maybe inverting the background and foreground color on monsters with polearms would be sufficient.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Maybe if there was a button to toggle a full-screen map it would
be nice.
Also having the message list show more lines, because -more-
it's annoying.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Ugly John posted:

Right then. New team, tentatively named Crawling's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose (until someone thinks of a better one). TEAMCAPTAIN is uglyjohn (on CZSO).

As do you.

Deal! :)

Adding your name to my rc once I've fixed up my server.

Edit: my ingame-name is the same as my forum name. I can also be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TZer0/

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 12, 2015

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Ugly John posted:

I will join if you change the name to "Bennu's Sick Encumbrance Patch"

spacejung on CAO

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010

Ugly John posted:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my DCSS user name is chukamok. Whatever you decide for the team name is fine with me.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Ugly John posted:

As do you.

I think you still have a spot left if I'm counting right. I'll join and see if I can get another win this tourney. lorbis on CAO.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

spacejung posted:

I will join if you change the name to "Bennu's Sick Encumbrance Patch"

spacejung on CAO

Sure, but you're going to have to tell me what in the world this refers to.

So, Team Bennu's Sick Encumbrance Patch (probably):

#TEAMCAPTAIN uglyjohn

Members:

code:
1. chukamok
2. TZer0 (same name?)
3. SibleyIrresistible
4.  lorbis
5. ???
Still one spot open, looks like! (or I'm bad at noticing things)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

Unfortunately I'm heavily invested into unarmed with claws and I just wielded the mace out of curiousity. :v:

Confusing Touch is nuts and one of my favorite spells ever.

I'm very glad to hear that you're still finding use for it! I worried that my nerf had ruined it forever.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Ugly John posted:

Sure, but you're going to have to tell me what in the world this refers to.

So, Team Bennu's Sick Encumbrance Patch (probably):

#TEAMCAPTAIN uglyjohn

Members:

code:
1. chukamok
2. TZer0 (same name?)
3. SibleyIrresistible
4.  lorbis
5. ???
Still one spot open, looks like! (or I'm bad at noticing things)

Hey, don't change the name and not include me! Here is a banner:

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

spacejung posted:

Hey, don't change the name and not include me! Here is a banner:

Haha I knew I was forgetting something. :doh:

That's a full lid!

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

quote:

You are now Xom's teddy bear.
"Catch!"
Something appears before you!
You see here a faintly humming pearl dragon armor {god gift}.
I'm an Octopode :negative:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Colour posted:

I had this problem occasionally in chrome as well, but it would go away after an hour or so.

Been a night, still happening.

Sage Grimm posted:

Try other browsers, see if they also have the same issue?

Other browsers don't even seem to want to load Crawl.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Fun fact #1: Okawaru (and assumedly other gods) can gift you weapons of distortion.

Not-fun not-a-fact #2: gently caress you, Okawaru.

Probably would have made it out if I had actually picked up the rmut amulet that I specifically went back to my stash to get.

Is there any restriction on how early you can be gifted a distortion weapon, aside from having enough piety to receive gifts period?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

Fun fact #1: Okawaru (and assumedly other gods) can gift you weapons of distortion.

Not-fun not-a-fact #2: gently caress you, Okawaru.

Probably would have made it out if I had actually picked up the rmut amulet that I specifically went back to my stash to get.

Is there any restriction on how early you can be gifted a distortion weapon, aside from having enough piety to receive gifts period?

Nope! However, finding a distortion weapon early is much better anyway, since you can then adjust your skills to make use of it properly, instead of having to rip it off like a band-aid.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Don't wield-id weapons you wouldn't be okay with for "awhile". This means low base damage and weapons outside of the school you've raised. I know you want to know what that cool seeming randart mace is but just say no.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are shields actually more worthwhile now? I just found this: +8 large shield of Pathos {rF+ rN+}

The LearnDB says it's as good as dodging now, but I'm skeptical.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I just had the most satisfying win ever. Sonja drained me down to 0 in all skills on the way down, and I Shattered her on the way up with the orb!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are shields actually more worthwhile now? I just found this: +8 large shield of Pathos {rF+ rN+}

The LearnDB says it's as good as dodging now, but I'm skeptical.

1 SH is now very roughly as good as 1 EV. (Slightly less.) Shields skill gives as much actual defensive power as it did before (that is, half as much "SH" as before SH was rescaled), but shield enchantment is worth twice as much as it used to be.

In general, large shields still aren't very good for races without low shield skill thresholds (ogres*, trolls, formicids - and possibly nagas & centaurs*), since other races need to invest 25 skill to remove large shields' penalties. I'd have to see your specific situation to give better advice.

*Probably shouldn't use shields with these, either

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shields have secretly been pretty nice for basically always.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's a naga stabber with about 10 skill in shields anyway. I always go shield with nagas, and now I guess it'll just be easier!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Don't wield-id weapons you wouldn't be okay with for "awhile". This means low base damage and weapons outside of the school you've raised. I know you want to know what that cool seeming randart mace is but just say no.

I actually kept it for a few levels of Lair, but I personally find it to be an annoying brand so I risked it earlier than I should have. Blink frogs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So on my mifi, what would my shield skill actually need to be to remove the penalty for a large shield? Less than 25?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, minotaurs need 25 skill for large shields. Only large races(naga ogre troll centaur formicid) do not.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 12, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Mystery Prize posted:

I'd give anything to see Octopodes get a "grows a body" mutation.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Mystery Prize posted:

Use a scroll on it, just to be sure.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Use a scroll on it, just to be sure.

I went back up and picked it up, just for you.

quote:

the +6 pearl dragon armour "Xiargh" {rElec MR+ SInv Str-4}

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mystery Prize posted:

I went back up and picked it up, just for you.

That's probably the best piece of body armor I've ever seen.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That's funny, does it not have rN+, or does it just not list base armour attributes in the properties?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

That's funny, does it not have rN+, or does it just not list base armour attributes in the properties?

Doesn't seem to list it; rN+ is passive on pearl dragon armor, though.

Edit: If I could wear it, I'd let you know :(

Double edit: nvm Xom abyssed me and I died to a Hellion

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 13, 2015

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Just found the Shield of the Gong on my HoFi of Qaz. Leaving the stairs ever is overrated. :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

That's probably the best piece of body armor I've ever seen.

quote:

+11 pearl dragon armour of Creativity {rC++ rN+ Stlth+}
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20141117-061815.txt

Think I picked that up in Pan though so I didn't even get much use out of it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I know some people here have been able to make OgHu of Dith worth, what's the strategy for Lair? I was able to cruise just by throwing rocks and nets at things through D:10 but a single blink frog basically destoyed me since I couldn't hit it for poo poo and it dodged all my rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I Love You! posted:

I'd give anything to see Octopodes get a "grows a body" mutation.

level 7 transmutation/hexes, grows body slots, with intrinsic confusion/stun power that targets like glaciate, gains unique flavor messages for stabbing.

• Locked thread