Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jeffrey posted:

Haste is probably better than blink against them, do torpor snails move slowly like other snails did?

They move at 70% speed (14/15 aut per move), which is juuust barely faster than a slowed player of most races.

RIP old slug strategy:

(Except it still works against Gastronok, of course!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BigFactory posted:

I didn't have one. And the snail itself isn't so tough, it's the other non-slow monsters around.

Yeah, if you didn't have one you're out of luck. I believe with a haste potion + slow you'll move at your regular speed, which should generally let you run from speed 10 monsters like death yaks(especially once you get out of range of the torpor snail), or fight faster monsters like spiny frogs.

Torpor snails seem like a good monster but the scenario in question hasn't really come up for me, I still seem to encounter them alone most of the time.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Snails are actually a pretty significant threat now ya, i think their pretty cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah, if you didn't have one you're out of luck. I believe with a haste potion + slow you'll move at your regular speed, which should generally let you run from speed 10 monsters like death yaks(especially once you get out of range of the torpor snail), or fight faster monsters like spiny frogs.

Torpor snails seem like a good monster but the scenario in question hasn't really come up for me, I still seem to encounter them alone most of the time.

Same here, until today and it hosed me up the fucker.

And it was a DsMo of Makleb (running off of the recent convo) with claws 2 and guardian demons and I just got powered by pain and I was a STEAMROLLER.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
All of shoals clear with no demon trident.
What the hell game.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

oneof3steves posted:

All of shoals clear with no demon trident.
What the hell game.

That's not really uncommon, is it? I guess maybe a little.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I ran into a torpor snail on probably their first day in trunk before they got their new tile and looked like just a regular snail and before I knew what they did. It was with a pack of death yaks, so I thought, "oh well, better get back to the stairs... wait... why are these death yaks so fast, oh god, what's happen...wait when did I get slow status? dead"

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Torpor Snails should cast blink when you get close.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Hitting a torpor snail should proc a distortion brand effect on the player doing the hitting.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Holy poo poo blade hands + finesse is disgusting. If I can close to melee with anything in the game, it is going to die in 2 aut. The vault 5 ambush was like the teahouse scene from kill bill. All of you who can still walk are free to go, but your limbs belong to me now.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 10, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Vaults guards are probably the single best set of enemies in the games and I've never loved to hate enemies as much as I hate those guys. They all interact so well with the dungeon, each other, and with the other monsters in the Vaults.

I splatted a Shattering draconian in V:5 thanks to getting careless with vault wardens and I ain't even mad.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah I love/hate the vaultbros more than any other enemies in the game. The V5 ambush feels like the little pixel-men set out with the intention of loving you entirely up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Curses, I was racing a number of people for the last Nemelex Choice for VSAr but frobop managed to finish before me by over an hour. Thought I was being sneaky with going for the Abyss rune over his choice of taking Vaults on. Ah well, one step closer to finishing off all gods and all races.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
And in banner news, someone finally got Lord of Darkness III:

http://kr.dobrazupa.org/morgue/0.15/joy1999/morgue-joy1999-20140910-103646.txt

}: 3/15 runes: abyssal, demonic, magical
The game lasted 02:31:31 (44637 turns).

Sweet Mercy Jones

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

gently caress spider lair and arachne :(

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

And in banner news, someone finally got Lord of Darkness III:

http://kr.dobrazupa.org/morgue/0.15/joy1999/morgue-joy1999-20140910-103646.txt

}: 3/15 runes: abyssal, demonic, magical
The game lasted 02:31:31 (44637 turns).

Sweet Mercy Jones

Hey, it's the same dude that did it in the last tournament. With the same runes picked up too!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BigFactory posted:

They're so annoying. Torpor Snail + a single death yak is like a death sentence for even the burliest Lair-capable character. Or burn all your incredibly precious pre-lair consumables.

See the issue here isn't the torpor snail, its the death yak.

gently caress death yaks forever.

Brannock posted:

The Vaults guards are probably the single best set of enemies in the games and I've never loved to hate enemies as much as I hate those guys. They all interact so well with the dungeon, each other, and with the other monsters in the Vaults.

I splatted a Shattering draconian in V:5 thanks to getting careless with vault wardens and I ain't even mad.

Yeah all the Vault guards are pretty cool...except sentinels. I loving LOATHE sentinels and their stupid mark ability. Its infuriating.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Just pretend that mark is banish and deal with them appropriately!

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Crystal spear, crystal spear, crystal spear, goodbye LVL25 VsMo of my heart

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Makhleb's invokable spells only depend on Invocations, right? Not fire spells, or spellcasting, or anything like that?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Makhleb's invokable spells only depend on Invocations, right? Not fire spells, or spellcasting, or anything like that?

correct

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Well gee, gently caress you too Crawl.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think you go up there.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Win #4! Blade hands is filthy bullshit, augmentation is filthy bullshit. I should be in jail for this run. Probably could have gone post-game but ehhh I really didn't feel any desire to deal with the Hells and Tomb again.

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-356-g69021a9 (webtiles) character file.

1487513 squane the Slayer (level 27, 247/247 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Monk on Sept 9, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Sept 10, 2014!

The game lasted 09:53:04 (102917 turns).

squane the Slayer (Demonspawn Monk)               Turns: 102917, Time: 09:53:04

HP 247/247       AC 26     Str 19      XL: 27
MP  38/38        EV 35     Int 20      God: Okawaru [******]
Gold 4929        SH  0     Dex 23      Spells:  1 memorised, 21 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +       - Unarmed
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     G - +6 faerie dragon armour {Dex+2 Int+4}
rNeg   + . .     rCorr    .     (no shield)
rPois  +         rRot     +     L - +1 helmet of the Land of Plenty {rPois SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     A - +2 cloak
SustAb .         Warding  .     g - +2 pair of gloves of Death Resistance {rC+}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  .                        x - amulet of resist mutation
MR     ++++.                    b - ring of Shreeferu {rElec rPois rC+ rN+ MR++}
                                o - ring of Thadaab {rF+ rC- Str+4 Stlth+}

@: studying Unarmed Combat, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments,
unstealthy
A: hooves 3, icy blue scales 3, fire resistance 1, foul stench 2, spiny 3,
augmentation 3, rot immunity
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, silver, gossamer

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

you sure that's how you wanna do this buddy

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Sage Grimm posted:

Curses, I was racing a number of people for the last Nemelex Choice for VSAr but frobop managed to finish before me by over an hour. Thought I was being sneaky with going for the Abyss rune over his choice of taking Vaults on. Ah well, one step closer to finishing off all gods and all races.

No hard feelings I hope. Those VS Nemelex Choice combos go rather quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if VS gets nerfed next version.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I splatted like a couple dozen VsAr... I don't know what's wrong with me, I 15 runed VsBe no problem and VsAr is just a VsBe who gets Trog later...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I passed you again Floodkiller :slick:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Shard1697/morgue-Shard1697-20140910-201308.txt
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-27-gbdb0435 (webtiles) character file.

2273602 Shard1697 the Cryomancer (level 27, 221/221 HPs)
             Began as a Purple Draconian Conjurer on Sept 9, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Sept 10, 2014!

The game lasted 08:56:44 (122051 turns).

Shard1697 the Cryomancer (DrCj)                   Turns: 122051, Time: 08:56:44

HP 221/221       AC 24     Str 15      XL: 27
MP  24/45        EV 19     Int 30      God: Vehumet [******]
Gold 2495        SH 18     Dex 13      Spells: 11 memorised,  7 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     a - +2 quick blade "Jael" {pain, rPois rF+ MR+ Dex+1}
rCold  + + +     Clarity  .     (armour unavailable)
rNeg   + . .     rCorr    .     J - +5 shield {reflect}
rPois  +         rRot     .     U - +2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rF+ rC+ MR+}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     Y - +2 cloak "Prupnat" {rElec Int+3 SInv}
SustAb .         Warding  .     o - +2 pair of gloves
rMut   +         Stasis   .     W - +2 pair of boots {run}
Gourm  .                        k - amulet of resist mutation
MR     +++++                    A - ring of poison resistance
                                x - ring of Yqargheh {rC++ rN+ MR+ Int+3}

@: very slightly contaminated, hasted, studying Translocations, deflect
missiles, very quick, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, very
unstealthy
A: breathe power, unfitting armour, antennae 1, big wings, stinger 1, sense
surroundings 1, cold-blooded, AC +13
a: Breathe Dispelling Energy, Fly, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 5/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, abyssal
I was gonna 15-rune, but after I got 5 I just couldn't be assed. Honestly I just get really sick of playing blasty-type spellcasters.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I was gonna 15-rune, but after I got 5 I just couldn't be assed. Honestly I just get really sick of playing blasty-type spellcasters.

:argh: Guess I'll break out my secret weapon: ANTS!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Frobop posted:

No hard feelings I hope. Those VS Nemelex Choice combos go rather quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if VS gets nerfed next version.

Definitely no hard feelings. Your choices were better focused towards winning quickly than mine; I was scrambling for damage output during the rune roundup. A lucky acquirement scroll managed to solve that nicely, though.

And I already stole last slot for another Nemelex Choice (MfAM), doing it twice would just be greedy. :)

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

so: https://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/commit/69021a94958be8dd43a32be556eb2da9078cab1a

Seems like I should now be able to specify a subset of race+backgrounds and randomly select from them, but can someone smarter than me explain how to actually do it?

Say I'd love to rotate between HuFi, TrMo, FoFi for starters?

Also maybe this isn't live on cszo yet?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Help Crawl Thread!

I've got a goofy ol' Minotaur Fighter with equal skill in polearms and maces (~16) with:

+6 demon trident of electrocution
+0 eveningstar of freezing
+2 demon whip of freezing

What should I be using here? I feel paralyzed by indecision and don't want to raise any more weapon stats for fear of wasting (more) experience! However I just got my third rune and don't want to push any farther without leveling weapons!

(FWIW I'm with Qazlal to shore up my lacking resist drops and can't readily swap gods just yet)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Poulpe posted:

Help Crawl Thread!

I've got a goofy ol' Minotaur Fighter with equal skill in polearms and maces (~16) with:

+6 demon trident of electrocution
+0 eveningstar of freezing
+2 demon whip of freezing

What should I be using here? I feel paralyzed by indecision and don't want to raise any more weapon stats for fear of wasting (more) experience! However I just got my third rune and don't want to push any farther without leveling weapons!

(FWIW I'm with Qazlal to shore up my lacking resist drops and can't readily swap gods just yet)
Stop leveling weapon skills, they're all at min delay. Train fighting to get HP and do more damage. Those are all great 1-handed weapons but the dtrident has the best brand for most of the game and the highest enchantment. Use that but when you see an rElec enemy that's at all scary swap to either of the others, I prefer eveningstars but demon whips are good too.

Multiple weapon skills are expensive and pointless. Good luck!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Given the three, I'd say it's between the demon trident or eveningstar, they're pretty much equal here for a 3-rune game. With investment from enchant weapon scrolls the eveningstar will edge out the trident however and it's the best one-handed mace you'll find. If you don't care about shields then taking polearms will be a better investment as bardiches aren't too uncommon after handling Vaults.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
If my only goal in a run is to cast tentacle death portal before I die would people recommend starting warper or wizard? Warper seems the obvious choice but wizard starts with a really great spellbook and a little of translocate and summoning both.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

kaschei posted:

Multiple weapon skills are expensive and pointless. Good luck!

Yeah, I got maces up to 15 about right before Lair, and then found the demon trident and went "Welp! There's no way I'm not using this!" Thanks! Fighting has been my "max this instead" stat, yeah.

Sage Grimm posted:

Given the three, I'd say it's between the demon trident or eveningstar, they're pretty much equal here for a 3-rune game. With investment from enchant weapon scrolls the eveningstar will edge out the trident however and it's the best one-handed mace you'll find. If you don't care about shields then taking polearms will be a better investment as bardiches aren't too uncommon after handling Vaults.

Are bardiches better than demon tridents? I thought Demon Trident was the kind of be-all-end-all polearm.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's the most flexible; it's the best one-hander polearm you can find. Bardiche wins out in terms of base damage and for some, the best defense is a strong offense. Things can't hurt you if they're dead.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Poulpe posted:

Yeah, I got maces up to 15 about right before Lair, and then found the demon trident and went "Welp! There's no way I'm not using this!" Thanks! Fighting has been my "max this instead" stat, yeah.

Are bardiches better than demon tridents? I thought Demon Trident was the kind of be-all-end-all polearm.

Demon tridents are the best one handed polearms, a bardiche will do a lot more damage if you get it to mindelay(which will take a lot more polearm investment.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

You're with Qazlal, you've got rMsl inherent. You don't need shields. Go two-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

IronicDongz posted:

You know, for being a 'fairly bad players' team, we've kind of broken our mission statement at this point ;)

• Locked thread