Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Sage Grimm posted:

- Distorted <foo>
- Banish the Haters
- Abysmal Planewalkers/Corruptors/etc
- Wriggling Masses of Primal Chaos (ADOM callback)
- Abyssal Apostles Anonymous

Not in the team, but: 99 problems but abyss ain't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Good to see everyone is RC'd up and ready to lose. Did we ever agree on a new name?

Far as I know, we were sticking with Seven Tentacled Salute. I've blown my creativity on the Abyss team, but suggestions are always good.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Haven't abandoned Seven Tentacle Salute, btw; won't get home till about 11PM Central. Expect many splats later tonight. I notice we're in sixth place already. Keep it up guys :)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Am I right in just assuming that TSO's aura has the opposite effect to Dith's, and would wreck any chance of being stealthy?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Not My Leg posted:

It doesn't make you completely unstealthy, but it cuts your stealth significantly (by half maybe?). Usually that's not a problem, because TSO doesn't allow attacking enemies who haven't noticed you.

Yeah, I'd forgotten that aspect of it. Not even an issue right now, playing a stealthy VSGl, but was intending to just grab a quick and dirty 3-runer if I get that far. I remembered pondering long and hard about coverting on another character though, but couldn't quite remember the specifics of why TSO was a bad career move in these cases.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I passed you again Floodkiller :slick:

I was gonna 15-rune, but after I got 5 I just couldn't be assed. Honestly I just get really sick of playing blasty-type spellcasters.

You know, for being a 'fairly bad players' team, we've kind of broken our mission statement at this point ;)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Mennas gestures angrily at you. You feel insulted, how rude!

Mennas just flipping you off would be pretty much in-theme. The game already implies it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

rureasons.txt

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with this GrMo of Ru, but it's fun. No evocables is the only handicap I regret taking, I figured it would just set your evocations to 0 similar to armour, not make you incapable of using them.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Jeffrey posted:

I think it's more like, troves in pan where you can't go get stuff from your stash, but they spawn asking for a bunch of stuff that is definitely in your inventory.

Trove: All your potions

That sounds like the sort of thing that'd encourage people to start stashing poo poo again.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-689-g516c4f7 (webtiles) character file.

3390928 Wolfechu the Grand Master (level 27, 180/180 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Monk on Sept 19, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Zin.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 6 runes on Sept 20, 2014!

The game lasted 06:19:43 (96275 turns).
Well this was the biggest loving comedy of errors in a long time. Figured I'd try Ru, because why not. Picked sacrifices more or less at random, mortified to learn that 'no evocables' doesn't mean just setting evocations to 0 like armour or dodging, it means no wands ever. Nevertheless, perservered and found it reasonably easy to beat things to death with my bare hands.

Other highlights:

- Took one sacrifice in whichever one removes some spell schools. No transmutations knackered up my plans of statue form. To be honest, ended up barely casting through the game, ended up solving most things with punching.
- Cleared out Slime before realising I couldn't use a wand of digging. Thankfully had LRD castable, but gave me a nasty turn for a moment.
- No amulet of rMut, anywhere. Cleared Elf, Slime, Crypt, V5, nothing. Even did a few levels of Pan out of desperation, eventually gave up and thought 'gently caress it, bring the 4 potions of Cure Mut I've got to Zot 5 and hope for the best. Halfway through Z:5 I remember I could just switch to Zin. Immediately did so, and then just legged it.
- 10K in gold, 21 shops (which seems way over the average), only 2K spent on anything worth getting. No book stores at all. Several evocation stores, just to rub it in.

Ru seems... kinda fun, actually. Not something I'll rush to, but not the slog I was expecting. Other than the no wands snafu I didn't seem too crippled, the aura was more helpful than not, and apocalypse got a fair amount of use. I suspect Ru might be tougher on a race that's not easymode like Gr.

E: Oops, morgue file for anyone who likes the details.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 20, 2014

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

silentsnack posted:

Depends on how well you manage your resources, or fail to. Left the most pathetic Zot:5 firestorm ghost in an entirely avoidable trainwreck: tired of hiding to slam rations so I swapped rF+ spear for staff-o-energy and things snowballed from there, teleported from triple-OOF into an electric golem tagteam. Died carrying 3 potions of resistance and 16x heal between potions and wands(plural!) Then again I don't really play to 'win' so I'll probably keep having fun while forgetting/neglecting resources and being stupid.

It was hilarious getting Wild Magic 3 on a Vehumet dragon... Wild 1 is manageable but 3 is just :psyduck: WHY CAN'T I STOP EXPLODING?

Pathetic or not, this ghost killed me good last night. There were probably at least eight things I could have done, not least of which was using sanctuary, but no, I decided to run shrieking for the stairs. So now your ghost has a MfBe backing it up with a +9 electric bardiche.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

shift+Z for manual targetting.

Wait, how are people targetting visible monsters? I think I use shift-Z for everything...

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I seem to remember there's a command, like how Ctrl-X shows you a list of all objects in LOS, but for a whole floor. Does this exist, or am I driving myself insane with false memories?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

kaschei posted:

Ctrl+f .

Also, ". && foo" doesn't work, but you can filter to the current floor with ctrl+f @foo

Ahh, I bet it's that filter I'm thinking, rather than a key combo, thanks.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

like I have over 1500 games, play like poo poo, generally speaking, and have never been killed by a mimic. I've never even seen someone get killed by a mimic

The only mimic I recall getting killed by was on a clusterfuck abyss banishment. Killed by an exit from the abyss-mimic. That was particularly cruel.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Quite a while back, someone posted a fix for rcfile autopickups so that, say, centaurs wouldn't keep picking boots up, or whatever slot your species can't use. Anyone have that code handy, or in their rcfile?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Kekekela posted:

Add to the top of your auto pickup function:
https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=9049

Many thanks, I'll crowbar this into my settings tonight.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

FR: Crab species that uses body armour as a shell.

Serious question though, is it a priority for anyone on the dev team to fix the LearnDB so its not a pain in the rear end to use? Used to be you could just search for stuff but now you have to manually scroll down a huge list.

FR: Fold the learnDB into the search functions on webtiles so you can just look up entries if you're playing online. No, really, is this possible?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Did something happen with autopickup in trunk? Started a char today and they won't automatically pick up anything unless I add them manually. And then keep adding each item I identify one by one. Even gold's not getting picked up unless I specify. And nope, I haven't hit Ctrl-A...

My rcfile, in case it's anything obvious:
http://dobrazupa.org/rcfiles/crawl-git/Wolfechu.rc

I can only see one recent change that even mentions autopickup, but it doesn't look like it'd break it.

Any ideas?

E: Still no idea what was causing this, but it seemed to be only me affected; ended up stripping out and replacing the autopickup code and it's fine now. Putting it down to having a crufty 5 year old rcfile.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 17, 2015

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

LogicNinja posted:

So what the heck happened to autopickup and why does everything start as "do not pick up", hitting \ a-p, r-z, A, B at the start of every game sucks.

I had the same deal, ended up replacing that part of my re-re-re-edited rcfile with the standard text for the autopickup section, and it's fine now.

Cause? No idea. Some minor syntax change, I'm guessing.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

LogicNinja posted:

Thanks, removing the "autopickup gloves/boots/hats if I'm not wearing one" function worked. Shame, I liked that function.

Yeah, I was using that too. Someone smarter than me will come up with a new version before long, I'm sure.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Buttbot is the first crawl language I might just leave enabled forever.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I will never tire of grumbling about being murdered by an (oldschool) exit-from-the-abyss mimic.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

So a thought I've been having with the Ely changes, for a minor bit of flavour:

Early characters (i.e. those who haven't discovered the temple yet), that are in mortal peril - either getting their asses kicked and at x% of their HP, or even at less than 1HP, an actual near-death thing - have a smallish chance for Ely to ask for their worship and they'll be saved. This'd work something like how Beogh worship does, with a temporary ability to worship, which would go away if the tension drops down enough.

If they accept, either have whatever's threatening them become neutral, or give them the equivalent of a HW potion in healing. After that, they're a card-carrying worshipper of Ely, and have the usual choice of sticking with it, converting to TSO or Zin (not amazing for early game), or converting to someone else and dealing with wrath. Or of course, declining in the first place and hoping they can tough it out and survive anyhow.

I dunno, I think if this had like a 10% chance of happening, it'd be too rare for people to game, but useful enough for early characters in a bad situation to consider.

Hell, I could see there being several gods with different circumstances you could do this with - Lucy with an unlucky early banish, or Nemelex if you find an incredibly statistically rare item pre-temple. But Ely seems like a last minute offer of healing would be the most in-character.

So anyway, explain to me how this'd be terrible and how HAMs would exploit it. ;)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

World Famous Whore posted:

As far as I know, the good gods don't give two fucks if you abandon them for another god as long as it ain't evil (Lugonu, Kiku, Yred, and Makhleb) so if you were not planning on going with one of them you are pretty much always going to take Ely up on their offer.

Of course my memory may be wrong, so who knows?

And there it is, I think you're right. For some reason I was thinking they didn't get pissed only if you switched to another good god.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Well, I wasn't expecting that. How long has Slime Temple been in rotation?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

kaschei posted:

Last time I had like four "eh" name ideas and someone came out of nowhere with 99 Problems but Abyss Ain't One and I just don't know what to do with my life after that

That was me, and it was the peak of my team-naming career. Never had a good idea since.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Gonna be doing my own team this year since I can't really call myself a bad player with 12 wins since the last tournament (I'm still bad). I'm thinking it will be a gimmick team instead: either aim for banners or eat all purple with no exceptions.

Team name will be Where The Ugly Things Are.

I'm up for this if you're getting old band members in; I still think of myself as a bad player, but I'm at 22 wins and the vast majority are in the last 12 months.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Anyone got any idea how many teams we actually have at this point? We're usually pretty well represented, but it feels even more so this tournament.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Who cares MarvinPA, elliptic and basil are all on a team together so its not like anyone will win. :v:

Does elliptic play on console or something? It threw me when I spectated him the other day, and he doesn't show up on the list of people in the chat pane. He strikes me as being oldschool enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yeah, including me tho

I dont think it matters, anyone else know?

Five plus the captain, yeah.

• Locked thread