Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Haifisch posted:

Rollcall for my tournament team, Mutaholics Anonymous.

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN Haifisch
^This goes into team members' 0.15 RC file. Make sure it's the very first line!

code:
# TEAMMEMBERS ...
1: Tarezax
2: gunofdis
3: legoman727
4: SirSamVimes
5: Monsoon
Post ASAP to let me know you're still alive and paying attention to crawl-type things. If you don't post by Sept 4, you're booted off and some other lucky soul(s) can get in. Many will enter, few will win. See store for details.

(Tournament teams finalize mid-day Sept 6, hence the cutoff. The tournament itself starts tomorrow afternoon. :derp:)

Please sign me up if someone drops out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

legoman727 posted:

So, looks like Mutaholics Anonymous needs a sixth player, so if anyone's interested in eating the purple, poke Haifisch.

DIBS.

I'll add #TEAMCAPTAIN Haifisch to my rcfile as soon as I am back at my computer.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

quote:

The +2 Plate Armor of Atheism {Dex +5 Int +3}

:smug:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I just saw the team name "99 problems but abyss aint one", goddamn.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

Who gives a gently caress about the contamination as I'll never be taking this thing off :stare:

I'm pretty sure that that thing was forged in Mordor.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Do Boots of Running and the Hat of Pondering cancel each other out?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I kind of hate that you can walk down the stairs into situations like this. That's a lot of HP to lose right away. If I didn't have a blink scroll I'd be straight up dead.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 2, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I've found it. The Worst Vault.

It's an Abyss Vault... full of Abyssal Rune mimics.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

Maybe one of them is real better check.

It was, thankfully. Otherwise, that would have been the dickest move in the history of dick moves.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Hit by a reaper with a +2 flaming scythe for FIFTY THREE damage. Through 28 EV/20-something AC.

DE_unreasons

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

My Tomb death just got even more annoying because in retrospect, I had Death's Door memorized and my action should have been to cast it, not reach for a healing potion.

(Although 53 damage from a reaper still seems high.)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Aww yeah, 15 runes. HECj. Got Robust at some point and the extra HP compared to a DE helped.

11486126 LogicNinja the Talismancer (level 27, 11/224 HPs)
Began as a High Elf Conjurer on Sept 2, 2014.
Was the Champion of Vehumet.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 15 runes on Sept 3, 2014!

The game lasted 08:33:37 (143889 turns).

Full dump.

After wrecking a couple of DECjs (my second Z:27 and Tomb, respectively), this feels good.

note: Dis is the loving worst, please remove Dis

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

"the +12 trident "Licegoat" {pierce, +Fly Str+3}"

I think "Licegoat" is the single best randart name I've seen in Crawl.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

One enhancer boosts spellpower in a nice way, but is definitely not worth changing your whole build for. Spellpower isn't nearly as big a deal if you're not a blaster anyway.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Sigmund, Grinder, Edmund, and Yuif on the same level.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Alright, just ascended a DeCj and I swear I end every 3 rune caster that doesn't stumble upon the gear to just roll over the game with this mental state, so I'ma make a mad post about it since I usually cool down and am less mad in an hour, but right now, I'm really mad, so...

You know what pisses me off: High level casters.

Now, you can trip over the right kind of gear to make the end game trivial, but if you don't, the way spells and resources are treated makes it a test of your mental fortitude more than anything else.

See, what ends up happening is that every spell you cast has series implications. Huge implications. If you miss a crystal spear, that is 16% of your resource pool and unless you are just clearing 'trash', that's going to have an effect on how you approach battle. Is that a good thing? I don't know, but it makes it a goddamn headache to clear Zot, because if you have 16 mana and an orb guardian is staring you down, I sure as hope you either one shot that son of a bitch, or you don't miss, because otherwise, you have to burn some kind of consumable. God forbid it's on Zot 5, because you can *easily* tp to your death and blink is unreliable. At the point you need to lean on sif, some other channel source, or magic pots. Now, you can say, 'well, you should have prepared', but the fact of the matter is that no matter what you do, everything surrounding casting is so unreliable that you can't guarantee almost any result. Sub can net you 30 mana or 1. Channel at 24 invocations is 8 mana or 1. Crystal ball and you are rolling a different kind of dice.

So what do you lean on? Well, you lean on what is reliable: Level 9 spells, but even those usually sit at 1% miscast and failing one of those casts is just as brutal as anything else. But lets say they don't fail, then what: Well, then better be ready to fight half the floor with your super limited mana pool or stair dance for the next 15 minutes because gently caress if you aren't going to have to fight 10 dragons and 30 draconians, which is totally impossible on one bar of mana.

Which brings up another problem: Single Target is so inefficient. Almost comically so. Even if two fire dragons are on the screen, it is more efficient for me to cast firestorm than it is for me to hurl a spear, nevermind that spear has a chance to miss. The trade off you are really making here is 'noise' vs 'reliability/efficiency'. And you are playing with a fifth of your mana at a time, so hope you don't gently caress up!

I dunno how you fix it. Making it so high level conjurations can't miss under certain circumstances would be a good start. Even something as simple as, 'Crystal Spear can't miss at point blank range' would be enough. You pay 8 loving mana for the thing, you might as well get something out of it. Creating an 'efficiency' skill that reduces the cost of spells might mean you don't have to lean on some kind of channeling or MP-on-kill mechanics (which are also unreliable). Also, setting miscast chance to 0 once if gets below 2% naturally seems like a pretty good idea. The end game is just a never-ending clusterfuck unless you have fantastic gear when you can just tank poo poo and not care, but if every turn means -40 HP for you, then missing spells is a huge, huge deal.

This is all madposting, so we'll see how much of this I agree with in a day, but fuuuuuuck.

I play a lot of casters, and overcommitting and running out of MP is a problem just like overcommitting and running out of HP is for melee dudes. MP management is one of the tradeoffs casters make for not having to be next to poo poo to kill it and for being able to kill it in big groups at once.

There are two gods for pure casters, Vehumet and Sif. Vehumet's MP regen is remarkably consistent, to the point where Firestorming a group of enemies refills your MP when you've used some of it. Sif's channel is also very consistent if you've pumped Invocations.
(All postgame casters need staff of energy/sif + crystal ball or Wucad Mu, but postgame is a different beast.)

Single-target spells are rather MP-inefficient but are still frequently the best choice (things next to you, things immune to fire if you have Firestorm, etc).

I mostly play with Vehumet, and I certainly don't feel like each spell is serious business. I'll get my MP back from killing poo poo, or kill poo poo then back off a bit and hit 5 to refill it. If I run out of MP while something mildly threatening is still alive. If I run out of MP while I'm in real danger then I should have run away instead of running my MP dry (in theory, of course, I'm as guilty of "I'm sure I can survive ONE MORE TURN while conjure flame kills it..." as anyone).

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

This is my core complaint though. There is no reliability in casting, and the stakes on *every* spell are way, way high because of the relationship between max MP, available MP regen options and spell cost. It's not an overcommitment if you throw 3 spears at an orb guardian and the all miss. That's just lovely luck, but under certain circumstances, it's the kind of luck that will end a game on the spot. That is my complaint: Casting is very high stakes, and completely unreliable in all aspects, even in the post end-game. There is no stability in it and if you are ascending a character that's living on the edge to begin with, that lack of stability can kill a character no matter how prepared you are, no matter how little you commit to.
I mean, occasionally crystal spear will miss (use Iron Shot for greater accuracy), and occasionally 3 in a row will miss. But missing (or doing very low/no damage) happens to melee characters too, and they have to be in melee to do it. Orb guardian next to you? Cast Haste and run away. Use Blink and go up the stairs. Want to have no miss chance? Use Fireball or one of the l9 spells.

Being at 0 MP doesn't mean you're dead. Also, don't go down to 0 MP, use your last MP to escape*. Casters have access to spells like Blink, Controlled Blink, Swiftness, haste, Death's Door... the melee guy is more survivable in melee range, but if he missed that Hellion and got hellfired three times he has only consumables for escape options.

If accuracy is a real problem maybe you should be using Poison Arrow or Iron Shot vs that Orb Guardian instead of LCS.

*I'm really bad about this. "I'll just keep running from the death yak until I've regenned 4 MP for Sticky Flame then cast it and keep running... I'm sure it'll be fine."

I guess I see casting characters as *more* reliable, not less, because you have so many more options than melee guys. You can use Fireball not to miss, you can use LCS for massive damage, you can switch between Iron Shot and LCS and OOD depending on distance and desired MP efficiency, accuracy, etc, you can smite target with some spells (like Freezing Cloud or Firestorm)...

I mean, if I see an ettin at the edge of my screen as a DEFE type, I just Bolt of Fire it and often one-shot it, sometimes two-shot. Sometiems two bolts will miss in a row... and it's still 4 squares away from me. If a melee guy gets unlucky with an ettin, there goes a huge chunk of HP.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 7, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

This isn't totally true though either. I just ascended a minotaur who had a slew of utility spells castable. Infact, it was only after I cleared Zot 5 that I decided to do 15 runes. If I had distributed stats differently and planned accordingly, I could have had controlled blink in <5% chance to fail on a melee idiot with a -4 in spellcasting. It's another reason why melee, at least in a 15 rune scenario (less so in 3), is so much more reliable. Not only do your attacks which hit for silly amounts of damage and are 'free' more reliable than any non-level 9 spell, you still can have access to some of the most powerful translocations and charms in the game. That dude has 4 int and can cast haste for god's sake.
OK, sure--by contrast, the last couple of casters I 15-runed had Firestorm and Glaciate and Shatter, Necromutation and Death's Door, and a host of other spells. Most of my postgame casters dabble in melee via 20-something Earth, high Evo, and a Staff of Earth, and have no problem meleeing chaff (although I rarely find it necessary).

My postgame casters certainly don't feel unreliable. They feel hugely powerful but vulnerable due to their low HP pool. When you're mashing out level 9 spells, accuracy isn't really a problem. When you have 55-60 MP, and get some MP back with each kill, you can afford to whiff a few Crystal Spears. Dropped into the middle of Hellion Island? Death's Door and Shatter the lot of them. Next to a Pan Lord? Haste, Glaciate, move a bit, Firestorm, Firestorm... you can respond much more flexibly to more threats than melee characters can.

quote:

I mean, is it a bad thing that casters seem to unreliable? I dunno. I haven't dropped a caster in zot for probably over a year now, so there is something to be said for that, but it is mentally taxing like nothing else. It's a test of my patience and how willing I am to take advantage of the game. I feel less like I'm solving a problem and more like I'm twisting the mechanics of the game to my advantage to get to the next floor. It feels like abuse -- Very tedious, very slow abuse, and while I can't point directly at it a given thing and say, 'This is it. This is the problem. This is the solution', something doesn't feel right and I feel like every time I have to go through that struggle, I get a little bit closer to figuring it out.
Maybe one day I'll have a definitive answer.
I am not a very careful player. That is an enormous understatement. And yet, I find it much easier to get in over my head and dead as a melee guy than as a caster. What do melee guys do when there's three ice fiends on screen casting Torment and a Hell Sentinel blasting them with iron shots or hellfire? Not get into that position through LOS management, probably. Meanwhile, a caster has Necromutation up to be Torment immune and just Firestorms the lot of them, killing the ice fiends, then kills the Hell Sentinel in a couple of spells. Casters just plain have more options and emergency buttons.

I'm really not sure where you're getting "unreliable". It sucks to miss 3 crystal spears in a row, but it's not a death sentence, and if it is your mistake was made several turns ago. It sucks getting hit by a near-max-damage LCS from what you thought was a safe amount of HP, but that happens to everyone (melee guys have more HP but also lose more HP). For reliability you have never-miss, huge-damage spells with great side effects (fire tornadoes or Glaciate's slowing/ice blocks) that can give you back more MP than it takes to cast them (Thanks, Vehumet!).

The Hells are tedious because you basically need to regenerate HP and constantly mash the Crystal Ball and Staff of Energy buttons, but the Hells are obnoxious for everyone.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 7, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Kekekela posted:

I feel like I'm reading this thread in a parallel universe

You shut your whore mouth. :colbert:

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 7, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Just to clarify this here, casters scale absurdly well with gear. The difference between great gear and 'meh' gear is the ability to walk through zig 27 and being forced to play carefully through zot 1-5. Walking around in great gear does render you a demigod of the Crawl world. A lot of how much you have to twist the game depends on your gear and god.

I disagree again, I think gear is much more important on melee characters. For melee guys your killing power and all of your escape/survivability/utility tricks come from gear. On casters they come from spells. Get basic resistances on a caster and you're good to go because your killing power and escape/survivability/utility come from spells*.

*Spells are "gear" in a way, of course, since you need to find the book.

e: Apparently I'm now a Crawl meme. In a way, I've secured my immortality by dying so much. But when I 15-rune my current DEFE, you'll see. You'll all see! Ahhh-ha-ha-ha-ha!

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 7, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Mr. Despair posted:

code:
Revert "Increase the abyss rune chance on levels A:4 and A:5"

As pointed out in #8906, this commit actually decreased the rune chance
on all levels
Is another pretty good one. Was broken since july :buddy:

That makes me really mad.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I just watched magicpoints open his inventory on an OpSk to reveal a Macabre Finger Necklace and zero rings.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I suppose what technically got me killed was my amulet of guardian spirit but I'd never run out of mp before.

Oh man why would you wear Guardian Spirit when you have spells like Death's Motherfucking Door? :confused:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

kaschei posted:

I would think that with a tiny HP pool you would be more scared of hellfire than torment and so would avoid necromutation. Guardian Spirit is a decent defense against torment in itself (20% of your "HP" were immune to torment - getting tormented twice would take you down to 45% instead of 25% if you could hold back on casting. Getting tormented twice more would only take you down to 26.5%).
When you've got 160 HP or whatever being Tormented still really loving hurts.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Especially demonspawn. Demonspawn is the most fun species(firstly for the muts, secondly since the obvious typical 'postgame' gods of TSO/Zin aren't options so you have to figure something else out as a melee dude)

How do I Ds? I can't freakin' get one off the ground. The slow levelling plus -1 apts just leave me wallowing in mediocrity.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Train weapon skill until you hit mindelay?

But what if I get claws? :smith:

I think the problem is just that I'm Bad and need Mi apts or Vs bite or Gr AC to make melee dudes work.

Playing a DgEE (...more of a FE now, found a Book of Flames early and Annihilations spawned in a shop) and Dg is hard! The apts make things rough.

I did find Arga and PDA, so I should eventually hybridize. Not sure how or when, though. After Firestorm, I guess? But at that point, why bother?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

kaschei posted:

Protip: try not to get hit by enemies with glowing weapons as any race
That's a lot of enemies to never be hit by. As a melee dude.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

kaschei posted:

Believe it or not the first one is not always holy/electrocution/distortion and doesn't always instantly kill or abyss you.
But when one does, "oh, your fault for meleeing something with a glowing weapon".

quote:

And "melee dude" means "dude that intentionally cripples himself by not picking up throwing or evocations to have a way to deal with stuff that's annoying at range" and even then doesn't mean "dude who cannot run away"
Obviously, but the more throwing/ranged/evo you pump the worse your melee is, and that's on a Ds who have crappy apts.

Which isn't to say it isn't good play for characters to pick up a ranged option. There's plenty of stuff in Crawl you don't want to just melee even as a MiBe, whether it's hard hitters or OOD spawns. It's just ridiculous to expect people to play like every branded weapon is The Worst Possible Brand, but we've had this conversation a million times and apparently you still think that's good design so ¯\(°_o)/¯

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

kaschei posted:

I would honestly recommend a human over a DE because -2HP is very unfriendly and you can cast just fine with human aptitudes.

I would never recommend a human over a DE because human apts/MP compared to DE make playing a caster a lot harder.

HEFE is a little more robust than DE and works well. If you want a tough caster without DE apts, try GrFE--the HP is the same but your huge AC and resist make survivability less of a problem (except for Orc Priests, gently caress Orc Priests).

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

kaschei posted:

I consider death to be a bigger impediment than aptitudes and mp but maybe I am just a bad DE. My last died on D:6 to a giant spore that did nearly my max HP in damage, IIRC
Then OgFE is the way to go, clearly. ;)

I'd say that losing the occasional DEFE to a giant spore or something is gonna be better for a new caster player than constantly lacking killing power (which is what HuFE feels like to me). Once he's got the gist of the caster game he can switch to HEFE or something if he wants more HP.

e: Hu is a hard race in general, Crawl rewards specialization pretty well. Not necessarily indicative, but Hu is towards the bottom end of the "races most won" for the current tournament, for example.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Spider is kind of a boring slog, huh.

Vaults:1 as an {rMut rF+ rC+} amulet and an {rMut Dex+5 Int+2} amulet. Crawl really is about difficult decisions.

Also:

The worst bazaar. :(

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

So I started a FeSu and the third one is somehow at Lair?

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/LogicNinja/LogicNinja.txt

I've never played Su before so any advice is appreciated. A potion of XP got me my Dodging so that was nice. Lightning Spire seems really strong. Sif will start giving me books by the end of Lair, which I can hopefully get through with Ice Beast/Lightning Spire.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Just did Elf 3 as an XL14 Felid Summoner.

Welp, that was harrowing.

(Only died once.)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

I had this, I walked through the zot trap. Shatter on Z:5 sounds scary but godspeed.

You haste, make some noise, and run off. Works like a charm.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Captainsalami posted:

Logicninja parachute account are you? :v:

Guys I am pretty sure that I am not the only person ever to splat in extended.
E: I am the king of dying on D:1-2 though.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 10, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I splatted like a couple dozen VsAr... I don't know what's wrong with me, I 15 runed VsBe no problem and VsAr is just a VsBe who gets Trog later...

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Just splatted a HECK in Zot:5. It was by far the hardest thing I've ever gotten that far. The actual death itself was my fault, I got so sick of Xom's poo poo that I just stopped thinking about things and mashed buttons, but drat, Xom was a complete dick and I was sick of him.

On Z:5, Xom Abyssed me. When I got back, he teleported me into the orb chamber, where 10 guardians, 2-3 OOFs, and some draconians were hanging out. When I read a teleport, just before it went off, he... swapped my claymore (the only claymore in the game) with the +0 glaive some draconian was holding.

It was supreme Xom dickishness.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I could see someone arguing that is good design, but it just feels cheap to me. I want extended to be fun and dangerous all of the time. I want to feel challenged by it. I don't want to be tricked into playing sloppily because its so goddamn boring. Its a fault of the player, but its one that is to be expected. So I'd say Hell and Pan need some serious trimming to cut out all the bullshit and focus on the real threats.

That's roughly how I feel about D:1-3, only it's not that things aren't challenging, it's that the RNG is so high and that you don't have any resources to use tactically yet, d:2 adder is basically "welp sure hope one of these is curing".

e: I'm splatting KoFis right now, D:1-2 adders are the loving worst, it's awful. Jackal packs right outside your door, d:1 halberdgnolls, kobolds with elec daggers, all likewise terrible.

son of e: Yet another d:1 adder poisoning. fr: remove adders tia

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 11, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

What is the meaning of this :mad:

Boyz II Mennas
Of Mice and Mennas
The Red Mennas
The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. A Mennas.
Two and a Half Mennas
The Mennastry of Love
Mennasty Girls
The Phantom Mennas
Mennas in Black

e: Yes Prime Mennaster.
(Mennaster? I drat near killed'er!)

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

RIP KoFi of Qazlal.

This guy found nothing better than a +1 morningstar all game and the +5 slaying ring was the only reason he ever got anywhere (and the only decent loot). Set foot in Elf, spent literally one turn there, got sent to the abyss. Cleared L, D, O, went to Shoals (better than snake...) and wound up gettng petrified by Jorgrun, then shattered down to -1 the turn before teleport went off, despite flying. RIP.

• Locked thread