Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Started playing a few rounds yesterday and having fun. :) my first attempt was a Gargoyle (suggested by the game) Fighter (went for something simple to get my feet wet) that got nuked by an Orc Priest on Dungeon 3; I wasn't used to using items at the time yet and forgot to try reading/quaffing stuff. My next few attempts were a Demigod Conjurer to get some experience with magic, I picked Demigod so I didn't have to think about God choices. The first attempt went decently, I made it to Dungeon 9, I think? That one died because I went down a floor and ended up surrounded by 4-5 enemies and I tried taking them on at the same time instead of stairdancing :downs:

The Demigod Conjurer attempts after that didn't go so hot so I switched to Spriggans, first an Enchanter who died because I didn't plan anything for damage output and then some Assassins with Ashenzari. The second assassin run was my best so far, I made it to Dungeon 9 and died on Lair 1 to Fennar because I decided to try and take him on directly (that's how my first Spriggan Assassin died too, I thought going melee with an Ogre would be a great idea even after he knocked out half my HP in one shot :downs:) I also found and cleared Sewers and Ossuary :toot:, but I missed Bailey because it spawned on the same floor as Ossuary. Overall it was a fun run so I'm going to run a few more Spriggan Assassins and try to beat the game with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Wednesday posted:

You're gonna go far, I can tell. What server/username are you on (or local?) I'd be down to spectate and advise sometime.
I'm on CSZO under WormsOfCan.

PleasingFungus posted:

I'd probably recommend having another go with spriggan enchanters. Your mechanism for damage output is ensorcelled hibernation into stabbing, and then dazzlespray into stabbing, and then enslave into murder everything. (these all complement each-other pretty well.) if your hexes aren't working, simply run away.

Your call, of course!
:doh: Now I realise I ran a Spriggan Warper, not an Enchanter. The strats for Enchanters sound similar to the fun bits of an Assassin though (The instagib messages are great - You carve the ____ like a ham!!!) so I'll give that a shot.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

If anyone wants to dispense advice or watch me make potentially terrible decisions, I've started a Spriggan Enchanter run.

Edit: Done for today!

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 23, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Made it to Dungeon 7 with my Spriggan Enchanter. Still getting used to actually combining my spells with stabbing and lots of questionable decision making on Dungeon 6 as the two people giving me advice can attest to, especially after I put on a cursed ring of loudness. :v: I stopped right after spotting Dowan and Duvessa so that'll be something fun to look forward to next time.

Meanwhile, I have a choice to make with my weapon: I'm going with Ashenzari again, and I found the cursed dagger "Somew" {stab, Str+4}, but I also have a +1 dagger of venom. I don't have any scrolls of remove curse at the moment either so if I take the cursed dagger I'll be stuck with it for a while. I don't know how good Str+4 is compared to poisoning.

Dungeon 7 currently has a few uniques running around, Prince Ribbit along with Dowan/Duvessa. There's also a killer bee... somewhere on the floor. My attempts to sleep/enslave Prince Ribbit haven't worked so far, should I keep trying on him or just ignore him? I assume for Dowan/Duvessa I should try sleeping/confusing/enslaving them, or is that not going to work?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Whether you kill Duvessa or Dowan first should depend on your build. You can always tp away from Duvessa's berserk but that can be a waste of a limited early game resource. Even when he gets his death power up, Dowan is still a squishy whimp that can easily be beaten to a pulp. So if you can kill Duvessa right next to Dowan, you can smash his face in before he gets a chance to do anything dangerous.
Based on my previous runs with Spriggans, if I were to take them on I would take out Dowan first because my previous Spriggans died taking too much damage from magic. I have Ensorcelled Hibernation/Confuse/Dazzling Spray/Enslavement, and based on a previous post I'll try enslaving one of them. Otherwise I'll just follow the suggestion of ignoring them and moving on :v:

On a related note, I have a Book of Dreams and 6 spell levels to spend. Mass Confusion sounds like it has some potential in the future but right now I have a failure rate of 80% or something. How's the utility of the other spells? (Flight/Phase Shift/Shadow Creatures/Darkness)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Araganzar posted:

You will want flight for utility and to avoid missing attacks on water.

Phase Shift is incredible for your character. You should have a ton of dodging and dex and it's a straight EV adder.
Sounds like these two are worth investing in at some point. I'll pick up flight for now, but Phase Shift has a 100% failure rate right now. In the meantime, my Spriggan Enchanter run continues as I try to take on Dowan and Duvessa and hope I don't gently caress up horribly!

Edit: Done!

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 24, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Made some good progress with my Spriggan Enchanter today :toot: Unfortunately I wasn't able to enslave Duvessa so I went down and started Lair. I found the Labyrinth in the process (thanks Ashenzari!) but I don't remember getting much loot, mostly wands I think? Picked up three books during the run as well: Book of Unlife, Book of Minor Magic and Book of Warp.

Met a few uniques in Lair, killed Maud, Snorg and Ijyb but ran away from Fannar and Rupert and did a lot of confuse/sleep/enslaving of yaks, elephants and black mambas. Also rats. Lots of rats. I killed 63 of them apparently :stare: Got 4 stars of piety with Ashenzari and made it to the end(?) of Lair (Lair 8), finding the entrances to the Spider Lair and Slime Pit in the process.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

The Singing Sword is great.
Can we have a Bard class that starts with a cursed Singing Sword equipped so I don't have to go searching for it to hear its dulcet tones? :allears:

(Obviously they also start with Song of Slaying memorized)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Time for some more Spriggan Enchanting! I'll be attempting the Slime Pit this time.

Edit: Done for today! So much for Slime Pit :v:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 28, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Dual wield decks and draw two cards per turn. :haw: Speaking of decks, how does the Illusion card work? Does the summoned copy of the player wield whatever the player was wielding when the card was drawn?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Dexters Secret posted:

How do you look at the item's in-game description? I much have missed that.
Click on the item/select it while you're in the inventory.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

kaschei posted:

It prompts you to wield a weapon when you draw it, and the illusion copies you after you wield it. I think it lets you wield for free also?
Hmm, I've only drawn it while using Nemelex's Draw One ability and didn't prompt me so it might be automatic in that case? If it ends up using a ranged weapon (e.g. blowgun) does it just fight stupidly or does it have its own ammo stash that it uses? I'd swear it was barely doing anything in my Nemelex attempts but I haven't messed around with it much.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Joseph is really good at chucking slings. My offline Spriggan Enchanter got wrecked by him in Orcs. There was also a group of kobold demonologists that I had to run from. I cleared out an entire floor including Erica but I ran like lightning from a pack of three of these guys. :stare:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

So I just had a ridiculous streak of luck (both good and bad) with my Beogh Gladiator Orc run. First I get 3 *s of piety and get some orc followers on D:9... only to run into a ghost of my previous Spriggan Enchanter who proceeds to confuse me in melee range of both himself and my orcs. I had a potion of cancellation at the time but I forgot to use it, so I first try just waiting out the confusion, at which point he brings me down to half HP, and then try to evade him and end up in penance since it looks like I'm going to die otherwise.

At this point I remember what the potion of cancellation does, so I quaff it, but then he stabs me with a dagger of venom while I have no tools to cure the poison. I'm clearly not going to survive if I hang around so I read my only option, a teleport scroll (which succeeds despite the fact that I got a blurry vision mutation from quaffing a potion of mutation from an earlier troll monk ghost evasion attempt.) It sends me... to a room with about 7 orcs, including a priest and a wizard. And a kobold, I guess.

Now, I'm still poisoned and I'm at single digit HP so I quaff a potion of haste, then read *another* teleport scroll to get out of dodge, .ing my turns and somehow don't get killed yet. This teleport sends me in a tight corridor with a bunch of gnolls, so I go nuts killing them and start running for the nearest stairs. While this is all happening, I'm now at 7 HP and my entire HP bar is yellow, and I have no potions to cure the poison so I'm thinking even if I somehow make it up I'm going to die. I reach the stairs... and my poison expires leaving me at 3 HP.

At this point I rest up, and go back down to explore. I find a shop in a lava filled room with a + shaped path, and Beogh summons his wrath trapping me with orcs blocking every exit. Thankfully, one orc was just blocking the path to a door so I was able to fly to it with a potion. Several turns of running from them and now I'm at the entrance of Orc Mines and out of penance, and manage to get a orc priest and a bunch of orcs to kill my Spriggan Enchanter ghost.

That's my crawl story for today. :shepface:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

My Beogh Orc run ended tragically to a crocodile/big slime creature beatdown in the swamp, but I made a lot of progress exploring! I managed to find the entrance to the Vaults for the first time and I'm getting more used to using all the toys I find. Having a swarm of orc followers fighting was the funniest experience I've had so far.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

It finally clicked for me how to properly use Apportation: Drag loot away from uniques without waking them up. :v:

In the meantime: I found an Armour of the Dragon King in a shop for 4493 gold. Is it worth getting for a Spriggan Enchanter? I can't actually afford it yet but I'm wondering if it's worth saving the cash for.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

gently caress no. Check the encumbrance rating, then look at your Spriggan's puny strength. Do you think he's going to be able to cast and fight effectively in something that resembles two slabs of rock in dragonscale pattern?
That's what I figured. I could really use that rPois for Snake Pit though... :(

scalded schlong posted:

Please scrimp and save and finally buy the second heaviest armour in the game and then look what it does to your stealth and spellcasting and post your reaction in this thread.
That requires me not to die in Snake Pit without a source of rPois though :v:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Roctavian posted:

Snake Pit is certainly scary without rPois, but consider the vectors for becoming poisoned:

bites, spit, parrow, ritualists with toxic radiation. Did I miss any? Of those, only poison arrow is severe. Your biggest worry should probably be "blink allies encircling" and the subsequent constriction damage you'll take.
I haven't even heard of that other thing, I left at floor 2 after a botched attempt against a ritualist. Swamp seems more manageable at the moment.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Well, I just started luring out everything from the Lernaean Hydra's hideout. Haven't died yet! :shepface:

Edit: Proceed to get caught by a shambling mangrove and burning through two heal wound wands, a heal wound potion and a golem summon to survive.

Edit2: Cleared everything except a hydra and the Lernaean Hydra, I don't see the rune anywhere.

...is the Lernaean Hydra sitting on it?

Edit3: It sure is! Apportated that bugger and got my first rune! :toot:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 2, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

FR: Can the morgue also print out every spellbook/spell we've encountered? My Spriggan Enchanter died in the vaults and I suspect I should have gotten some higher tier spells to handle the elves that were in it (and possibly for Snake:5.)

A few post-mortem questions:

- How long can Dazzling Spray carry me through the game? It served me pretty well in Swamp, but wasn't as reliable in Snake Pit. When I explored D:15/Depths there were some enemies I had to lure out and spend my entire MP on (skeletons in particular.)
- What are good offensive spells for a Spriggan Enchanter build?
- Brand Weapon/Enchant scrolls: How many backups of these kind of scrolls should I have?
- Exactly how strong is a wand of disintegration compared to fire/cold? I can't find any info on this.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

code:
You finish putting on the +1 buckler of Failure {Str+3}.
I'll take it. :v:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

code:
Found an uncursed hammer.
Found two uncursed hammers.
You see here an uncursed hammer.
Found seven uncursed hammers and an uncursed hammer of protection.
Crazy Yiuf the Enlightened comes into view. He is wielding a quarterstaff of chaos.
Found the hammer "Arcanum" {drain, +Blink}.
Found three uncursed hammers.
:crossarms: Missed oppurtunity to have "Crazy Yiuf's Discount Hammer Shoppe" spawn too.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Got a Spriggan Enchanter with good gear that (mostly) cleared Lair, going to start Orc next. Looking for info on:

-Should I keep the 3 daggers on hand or will the quick blade be enough on its own? Is it worth dumping all my enchant/brand scrolls on it?
-What spells should I prioritize learning from the book of Power?
-How's my skill distribution so far? Anything I should focus on?

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.1 (tiles) character file.

jj the Nimble (Spriggan Enchanter)                 Turns: 30973, Time: 01:55:01

HP  77/77        AC  6     Str  4      XL: 14   Next: 73%
MP  37/37        EV 31     Int 21      God: Ashenzari [****..]
Gold 1236        SH  0     Dex 17      Spells:  6 memorised, 23 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     s - +6 quick blade (curse)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     v - +2 robe "Strayrofe" {rF+ rC+}
rNeg   + . .     rCorr    .     (shield restricted)
rPois  +         rRot     .     (helmet restricted)
rElec  .         Spirit   .     x - +1 cloak (curse)
SustAb .         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  .                        (no amulet)
MR     ++...                    L - cursed ring of positive energy
                                j - cursed ring of poison resistance

@: studying Dodging, very quick, very resistant to hostile enchantments, very
stealthy
A: unfitting armour, see invisible, herbivore 3, speed 3, slow metabolism 2
a: Scrying, Renounce Religion

Hand weapons
 a - a +3 dagger of speed
 s - a cursed +6 quick blade (weapon)
 M - a +2 dagger of electrocution
 T - a +0 dagger of flaming

E - a book of Power   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Fulminant Prism                   Conjuration/Hexes            4
   Iskenderun's Mystic Blast          Conjuration                  4
   Venom Bolt                         Conjuration/Poison           5
   Bolt of Magma                      Conjuration/Fire/Earth       5
   Iron Shot                          Conjuration/Earth            6
   Orb of Destruction                 Conjuration                  7

Skills:
 - Level 10.4 Fighting
 - Level 12.2(15.3) Short Blades
 * Level 2.2 Armour
 + Level 14.0(15.9) Dodging
 - Level 8.5(10.8) Stealth
 - Level 13.7 Spellcasting
 - Level 6.0(8.3) Conjurations
 + Level 10.3(12.4) Hexes
 - Level 3.5(5.6) Ice Magic
 - Level 8.4(10.6) Evocations

You have 23 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Corona                Hex            ######.      1%          1    None
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Hex/Ice        ######       1%          2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            ######..     1%          3    None
d - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       ######..     1%          3    None
e - Enslavement           Hex            ######..     1%          4    None
f - Fulminant Prism       Conj/Hex       ######....   1%          4    None

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

The quick blade came pre-cursed (found it on the Lair:8) and I found some poison/curare needles with a blowgun so I might uncurse it for that option.

Edit: +7 quick blade of protection! :toot:

Jeffrey posted:

I would probably train more stealth, I like getting it to 15 before stopping for a bit, and with a +5 aptitude it's a lotta bang for your buck. I've seen players get that to 27 by zot in a 3 rune. I've never trained armor on one, does training armor get you AC when you're in a robe? I would probably curse your bootleg robe of resistance since you have no hat. I also say enchant that cloak to +2, every little bit helps.

What to branch into is something I'm far from an expert in so I'll leave that to someone else. Is that the only book you've found?
Robe's already cursed, it doesn't show in the quick view for whatever reason :v: I'm just training armor under the assumption that I should have some non-zero skill in it.

I'm pretty sure that's the only book so far (re-iterating having the option to dump all identified spellbooks would be pretty swell!)

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 6, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Does a Fulminant Prism stay if you go up/down a floor? I tried a stairdancing strategy with Prisms but I never got any explosion/You feel more experienced messages. It could have been destroyed early but confirmation will be useful if I decide to try it again.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

drat. In the meantime I started Shoals and found a few spellbooks along with a spellbook store. I don't have enough money to buy more than one spellbook so I picked up a few spells in the meantime. Am I overloading myself on support spells? I've got 5 spell level left at the moment.
code:
a - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            ######..     0%          3    None
e - Enslavement           Hex            ######..     1%          4    None
f - Fulminant Prism       Conj/Hex       ######....   1%          4    None
g - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
h - Flight                Chrm/Air       #####.....   1%          3    None
i - Mass Confusion        Hex            ######....   1%          6    #####..
j - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ###.....     3%          1    None
k - Tukima's Dance        Hex            ######..     0%          3    None
l - Darkness              Hex            ######....   3%          7    ######.
The book shop, for relevance (I have 893 gold):
code:
[Shop] Woloos' Book Shop
  a manual of Short Blades (1545 gold)
  a book of Battle (unknown) (560 gold)
  a book of the Dragon (unknown) (1260 gold)
  a book of Transfigurations (unknown) (770 gold)
  a book of Death (unknown) (980 gold)
  a book of Control (unknown) (910 gold)
  a book of Transfigurations (unknown) (770 gold)
  a book of the Dragon (unknown) (1260 gold)
  a book of Wizardry (unknown) (420 gold)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I want to give props to Ashenzari for letting my Spriggan Enchanter nab the Shoals Rune with minimal fuss by scrying in every room, letting me avoid Mara, Polyphemus and Ilsuiw. :toot:

Now I have to experiment to see how to even set foot in Snake:1 or try and get the Slime Rune (already got all the way down to Slime:5 and cleared everything, although I have a ton of annoying mutations.) The entrance of Snake is surrounded by a dozen or so monsters including an electric snake and naga casters :stare: I think either Mass Confusion or Darkness to reduce my LOS are my only options short of just throwing my arms up and doing Vaults or something.

My mutations for anyone who's curious:
code:
You have a pair of small horns on your head.
You tend to lose your temper in combat.
You are clumsy. (Dex -2)
Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body.
Your body is slowly deteriorating.
You are frail (-10% HP).
Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You are weak. (Str -2)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

And my Spriggan Enchanter falls to the Royal Jelly's cohorts... I underestimated the damage from those acid bolts and panicked. :smith:

Oh well, time to start a new run :v:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

I found quite a few spellbooks on this Spriggan Enchanter run. :shepface: Recommendations?

Edit: My lair branches are Shoals/Snake Pit if that matters.

code:
 q - a book of Geomancy   

Sandblast                          Earth                        1
   Stoneskin                          Transmutation/Earth          2
   Passwall                           Transmutation/Earth          3
   Stone Arrow                        Conjuration/Earth            3
   Petrify                            Transmutation/Earth          4
   Lee's Rapid Deconstruction         Earth                        5
 y - a book of Beasts   

Summon Butterflies                 Summoning                    1
   Call Canine Familiar               Summoning                    3
   Summon Ice Beast                   Ice/Summoning                4
   Summon Mana Viper                  Hexes/Summoning              5
   Monstrous Menagerie                Summoning                    6
   Summon Hydra                       Summoning                    7
 E - a book of Fire   

Ignite Poison                      Fire/Transmutation           5
   Fireball                           Conjuration/Fire             5
   Bolt of Fire                       Conjuration/Fire             6
   Delayed Fireball                   Conjuration/Fire             7
   Ring of Flames                     Charms/Fire                  7
 M - a book of Transfigurations   

Stoneskin                          Transmutation/Earth          2
   Ice Form                           Ice/Transmutation            4
   Statue Form                        Transmutation/Earth          6
   Dragon Form                        Transmutation                7
 N - a book of Dreams   

*Ensorcelled Hibernation           Hexes/Ice                    2
   *Flight                            Charms/Air                   3
   Phase Shift                        Translocation                5
   Shadow Creatures                   Summoning                    5
   Mass Confusion                     Hexes                        6
   *Darkness                          Hexes                        7
 O - a book of Flames   

Flame Tongue                       Conjuration/Fire             1
   Throw Flame                        Conjuration/Fire             2
   Conjure Flame                      Conjuration/Fire             3
   Inner Flame                        Hexes/Fire                   3
   Sticky Flame                       Conjuration/Fire             4
   Fireball                           Conjuration/Fire             5
 Q - a book of Burglary   

Swiftness                          Charms/Air                   2
   Passwall                           Transmutation/Earth          3
   Passage of Golubria                Translocation                4
   Lee's Rapid Deconstruction         Earth                        5
   *Invisibility                      Hexes                        6
   *Darkness                          Hexes                        7

Skills:
 * Level 10.8 Fighting
 - Level 10.4(13.6) Short Blades
 - Level 9.3(11.5) Dodging
 + Level 16.2(18.0) Stealth
 - Level 10.9 Spellcasting
 - Level 3.1(5.1) Conjurations
 - Level 12.8(14.8) Hexes
 - Level 4.8(7.1) Charms
 - Level 3.4(5.4) Ice Magic
 - Level 3.0(5.0) Air Magic
 - Level 8.3(10.5) Evocations

You have 6 spell levels left.

c - Confuse               Hex            ######..     1%          3    None
e - Enslavement           Hex            ######..     1%          4    ##.....
f - Invisibility          Hex            ######..     6%          6    ######.
g - Darkness              Hex            ######....   30%         7    #######
h - Flight                Chrm/Air       #####.....   4%          3    None

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Going back to my online SpEn run, come watch me (try not to) splat in D:14-15 :v:

And I ended up making it all the way to Spider:5 on top of clearing D:14-15! :toot:

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 11, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Alright, I managed to get down to Spider:5 somehow without any rPois and this is my rune vault:

Here's my current loadout. Is there a strategy I can pull off right now or should I move on to a different branch?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

The minotaur wields the +9 dagger of Chilly Death {freeze, rPois rF- rC++ MR+}.
It glows with a cold blue light! The minotaur closely misses you. The minotaur gores you!
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You reach into the bag... ...and things crawl out!
The minotaur unwields the +9 dagger of Chilly Death {freeze, rPois rF- rC++ MR+}.
The minotaur wields an uncursed longbow.
The minotaur shoots a poisoned arrow. The poisoned arrow hits you!!
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...
You motherfucker :argh:

cheetah7071 posted:

"You open the box of beasts like a pillowcase!"
http://crawl.develz.org/info/index.php?q=implemented+bad+ideas Number 6.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

The game has given me 5 wands of frost so far with this run. Is it trying to tell me something...?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Finally managed to get a game with 1 rune again. I managed to clear Elf:1-2 thanks to invisibility, but Snake Pit is getting troublesome because of Aizul on floor 3 and hexes working unreliably against nagas/anacondas. I have 8 magic levels so I'm deciding between getting Discord and getting Cause Fear; Discord is at 21% failure at the moment.

My current plan is to clear out some floors of Vaults by relying on invisibility, then... maybe some floors of Slime? Any tips for either of the three floors?

code:
jj the Eclecticist (Spriggan Enchanter)            Turns: 63509, Time: 04:42:34

HP  78/91        AC  4     Str  8      XL: 17   Next: 67%
MP  40/42        EV 29     Int 25      God: Ashenzari [******]
Gold 728         SH  8     Dex 22      Spells: 12 memorised,  8 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     O - +8 dagger (speed) (curse)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     u - +2 robe {rN+} (curse)
rNeg   + + +     rCorr    .     j - +0 buckler (curse)
rPois  .         rRot     .     (helmet restricted)
rElec  .         Spirit   +     e - -3 cloak "Theataoc" {rC+ rN+ Stlth+}
SustAb +         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
Gourm  .                        Y - cursed amulet of Prescription {Spirit Str+4 Int+2}
MR     ++...                    U - cursed ring "Illih" {rN+ Dex+5}
                                L - cursed ring "Phu Qoc" {SustAb Slay+1 Stlth+}
Missiles
 c - 3 throwing nets
 h - 6 tomahawks of dispersal (quivered)
Magical devices
 t - a wand of heal wounds {zapped: 2}
 x - a wand of confusion (15)
 A - a wand of digging (17)
 B - a wand of cold (2)
 N - a wand of hasting (5)
 Q - a wand of heal wounds
 R - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 2}
 V - a wand of disintegration (8)
Comestibles
 E - 12 bread rations
 W - 11 fruits
Scrolls
 g - 2 scrolls of enchant weapon
 m - a scroll of vulnerability
 n - 3 scrolls of recharging
 q - 2 scrolls of silence
 s - 10 scrolls of remove curse
 y - 4 scrolls of magic mapping
 D - 8 scrolls of teleportation
 F - a scroll of holy word
 G - 5 scrolls of amnesia
 K - 2 scrolls of summoning
 S - a scroll of fog
Potions
 b - 2 potions of magic
 d - a potion of porridge
 f - 2 potions of resistance
 i - 5 potions of brilliance
 k - 6 potions of heal wounds
 l - 5 potions of curing
 p - 7 potions of agility
 w - 2 potions of flight
 z - a potion of invisibility
 I - 5 potions of cancellation
 J - 6 potions of restore abilities
 P - 6 potions of might
 T - 2 potions of haste
Books
 a - a book of Enchantments   

Tukima's Dance                     Hexes                        3
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        4
   Silence                            Hexes/Air                    5
   *Deflect Missiles                  Charms/Air                   6
   *Haste                             Charms                       6
   Discord                            Hexes                        8
 o - a book of the Dragon   

*Flight                            Charms/Air                   3
   Bolt of Fire                       Conjuration/Fire             6
   Dragon Form                        Transmutation                7
   Dragon's Call                      Summoning                    9
 r - a book of Debilitation   

Corona                             Hexes                        1
   Slow                               Hexes                        2
   Inner Flame                        Hexes/Fire                   3
   *Enslavement                       Hexes                        4
   Leda's Liquefaction                Hexes/Earth                  4
 C - a book of Death   

Corpse Rot                         Necromancy                   2
   Sublimation of Blood               Necromancy                   2
   Agony                              Necromancy                   5
   Dispel Undead                      Necromancy                   5
   Excruciating Wounds                Charms/Necromancy            5
   Bolt of Draining                   Conjuration/Necromancy       5
 H - the Almanac of Curses
   (You found it on level 1 of the Snake Pit)   

Corona                             Hexes                        1
   *Ensorcelled Hibernation           Hexes/Ice                    2
   *Confuse                           Hexes                        3
   Summon Guardian Golem              Hexes/Summoning              4
   Mass Confusion                     Hexes                        6
Miscellaneous
 v - a lamp of fire
 M - a lamp of fire
 X - a sack of spiders {used: 4}
 Z - a phial of floods

Skills:
 - Level 10.9 Fighting
 - Level 9.6(13.9) Short Blades
 - Level 10.4 Dodging
 + Level 13.7 Stealth
 - Level 1.8(4.0) Shields
 * Level 18.1 Spellcasting
 - Level 8.2(12.7) Conjurations
 - Level 12.1(16.2) Hexes
 - Level 10.0(14.2) Charms
 - Level 5.1(9.5) Translocations
 - Level 5.6(10.1) Ice Magic
 - Level 9.1(13.4) Air Magic
 - Level 11.3(15.5) Evocations

a - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           ######..     1%          4    None
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Hex/Ice        ######       0%          2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            #######.     0%          3    None
d - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       #######.     0%          3    None
e - Enslavement           Hex            #######.     1%          4    None
f - Fulminant Prism       Conj/Hex       #######...   1%          4    None
g - Invisibility          Hex            #######.     1%          6    ###....
h - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          6    ###....
i - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
j - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
k - Flight                Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          3    None
l - Haste                 Chrm           #######.     1%          6    ###....

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

hito posted:

I bet you could frag Aizul with evocables and finish snake, as long as you drink resistance for rPois.
I ended up stabbing him to death with a scroll of silence. :geno:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

code:
You pick up the serpentine rune and feel its power.
You now have 2 runes.
:hellyeah:

Time to do Vaults I guess!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Haven't died yet in Vaults, and I found the Crypt entrance. Going to check it out a bit and try not to splat. Anything worth knowing with this loadout?

code:
jj the Eclecticist (Spriggan Enchanter)            Turns: 98697, Time: 07:23:09

HP 104/104       AC  4     Str  8      XL: 20   Next: 84%
MP  45/45        EV 38     Int 26      God: Ashenzari [******]
Gold 1261        SH 10     Dex 23      Spells: 14 memorised,  2 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     O - +9 dagger (speed) (curse)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     u - +2 robe {rN+} (curse)
rNeg   + + +     rCorr    .     g - +2 buckler (curse)
rPois  .         rRot     .     a - +2 hat (curse)
rElec  .         Spirit   +     e - -3 cloak "Theataoc" {rC+ rN+ Stlth+}
SustAb +         Warding  .     (gloves unavailable)
Gourm  .                        Y - cursed amulet of Prescription {Spirit Str+4 Int+2}
MR     +++..                    U - cursed ring "Illih" {rN+ Dex+5}
                                L - cursed ring "Phu Qoc" {SustAb Slay+1 Stlth+}

Magical devices
 r - a wand of paralysis (6)
 s - a wand of cold
 t - a wand of heal wounds (4)
 x - a wand of confusion (10)
 A - a wand of digging (12)
 B - a wand of cold (2)
 N - a wand of hasting (5)
 Q - a wand of fireball (2)
 V - a wand of disintegration (4)

Scrolls
 j - 2 scrolls of identify
 m - 2 scrolls of vulnerability
 n - 3 scrolls of recharging
 q - a scroll of remove curse
 y - 5 scrolls of magic mapping
 D - 9 scrolls of teleportation
 G - 5 scrolls of amnesia
 K - 2 scrolls of summoning
 S - 2 scrolls of fog

Potions
 b - 2 potions of magic
 d - 2 potions of porridge
 f - 2 potions of resistance
 i - 6 potions of brilliance
 k - 6 potions of heal wounds
 l - 8 potions of curing
 p - 8 potions of agility
 w - 2 potions of flight
 z - a potion of invisibility
 I - 5 potions of cancellation
 J - 7 potions of restore abilities
 P - 6 potions of might
 T - 2 potions of haste

a - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           #######.     1%          4    None
b - Ensorcelled Hibernat  Hex/Ice        ######       0%          2    None
c - Confuse               Hex            ########     0%          3    None
d - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       #######.     0%          3    None
e - Enslavement           Hex            ########     0%          4    None
f - Fulminant Prism       Conj/Hex       #######...   0%          4    None
g - Invisibility          Hex            ########     1%          6    #......
h - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          6    #......
i - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
j - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
k - Flight                Chrm/Air       #######...   1%          3    None
l - Haste                 Chrm           #######.     1%          6    #......
m - Discord               Hex            ########..   1%          8    ######.
n - Silence               Hex/Air        #######...   1%          5    None

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

What does that +9 do, anyway? What are the big differences between a +9 dagger and a regular cutlass?

Edit: Found a cutlass of electrocution, and branded a bunch of cutlasses (flaming/slicing.) Made it down to Crypt 3 but the mansion ending has a lot of magic resistant enemies, not going to tempt fate. Made it down to Vault 5 too and frenzied the welcoming party :haw: The rest of the floor is pretty tense though.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 16, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

:eyepop:

:eyepop:??? Worth swapping out a ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Make Apportation smite-targeted; if enemies are between you and an item the item deals damage :v:

code:
You apportate the +6 sacred scourge. The cacodemon convulses! The balrug convulses! The vampire convulses!

• Locked thread