Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

So many recent shoals deaths make sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Would it ruin the "fun" of the distortion/abyss game to have Abyss:1 completely littered with exits but no chance of a rune? Maybe there's already no chance of a rune.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Isn't the easier solution just to make abyss:1 reasonably survivable for almost any character that gets sent there? No loot, plenty of up and down exits, no balrogs or zymes or liches, none of that. The real abyss starts on 2.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

You get literally no skill boost though since the odds of finding gear worth using that is also cursed is super low.

Ash would tell you if it's cursed before you put it on though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

man, bog bodies and sea snakes are really not that big a deal

Sea snakes look at me funny and give me red poison.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I miss getting XP for killing the ballistocyte colonies. It was like a treasure hunt. :(

It was the best. It never should have been removed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darth Windu posted:

Wait, they took that out?? What the what!!

Because weird people would abuse the system somehow and it bothered devs for some reason.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If hunting down spores for points is pointless tedium, I just don't know what you guys enjoy in this game.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Basically, get a panic button as fast as you can. If your only combat option is tabbing, you'll run into situations like that early on with low stats and skills. If you don't cast, get some heavy armor, and if you do, don't be shy with your utility spells. Hell, train evocations some so you can get some reliable wand offense. If your equipment slots are severely restricted, you're probably fast, so run away at the slightest sign of trouble. The number one issue I see (and am sometimes guilty of when I get complacent) is going "ugh I don't want to run away or burn important resources, I'll just keep tabbing."

I think he's talking about dying to the very first monster you see, basically in sight of the starting stairs, without the opportunity to grab any of the things you're talking about.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
.16 looks sharp, guys. New tiles are rad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Venom mage is is completely inferior to wizard. The best spell it gives is meph cloud, which wizards get in addition to blink and conjure flame. Veno mages can't do anything to early monsters that have rPois, but wizards can deal with them easily via conjure flame.

And repel missiles. Venom Mage has the bolt spell, that's the only advantage and it's not a good one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Not My Leg posted:

Sting is actually a powerful spell for the early game. It's damage is the same as magic dart plus it poisons the target, allowing you to kite stronger enemies. Still, venom mage has the huge weakness to poison immune enemies, and poison doesn't exactly scale well into the late game (but you can always take venom mage and then train conjurations instead of poison).

E: What Angry Diplomat said.

No, sting's a really good level 1 spell but I'd still rather have magic dart based on range and versatility.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Their apts are -1 across the board. That's terrible. Their mutations range from 'Fantastic' to 'mediocre' and while you can get a game-making set of mutations, Vegas's money is on you getting a moderately helpful set that may or may not scale into the endgame. The price you pay is all the bad stuff that comes with being demonic, and none of the great stuff, with the 4th or 5th(?) worst set of apts in the game. Their unfocused nature also means that you aren't given a direction to go with them, which is just another layer of difficulty to deal with.

This is kinda old at this point, but Ds are like the easiest race to get going, and I suck at the game. The -1 apts are perfectly fine. Decent, even. And mutations are usually stupid good. You get full item slots -1 (unless you win the lottery and get antenna) and if you get a 2nd tier mutation early you can probably guarantee getting to lair just based on that. Ds rule.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The easiest race to get going is probably a Minotaur, Gargoyle, or Kobold, probably with a Berserker background. Maybe Troll? -1 Apts are not 'perfectly fine'. They are functional. They work if you know what you are doing. If you are new or newish or we'll say, 'winless' in the game, there are much, much better choices. Wanna hit people with a sharp object? Mi is almost always a superior choice, Wanna use a specific weapon, say an Axe? Hill Orc works better. If you wanna throw spells at a bro, there are better choices. If you want to cast for a specific school, there are better choices. No matter what you want to do, there are better choices. Yeah, -1 Apts isn't damning, but this is a game of relative strengths. -1 is really bad compared to what other purpose-built races offer. If you are an experienced player, then there is a totally different story at play here and flexibility becomes more important than focus, but I'm talking about actual 'easy' races for someone who isn't sporting 10s of wins. Ds is not one of them, barring some exceptional mutation combinations that can carry a player through midgame.

I've won 3 times and I've been playing for like 5 years. I'm terrible at the game. DS aren't that hard. They have totally manageable apts and good stats, you just can't try to hybridize immediately or cast from 5 different schools right off. BUT you can (and usually do) get a mutation at level 2 that's game changing. I think they're good and definitely one of the easier races.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
All the other Ds mutations are passive though, which I like. Making one active would be weird.

My solution would be to make spines 1 -> spines 2, spines 2 -> spines 3, and give spines 3 extra damage corresponding with your scales mutation. Acid for yellow scales, fire for molten, etc... Brown...damage for brown scales.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 9, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

Did hellfire tossing get taken out at some point? I only ever saw that one a few times but I thought it was cool that you could gain the ability to chuck hellfire at people in exchange for a big chunk of HP.

I forgot about hellfire. I think I got that exactly once and it was totally underwhelming at the point in the game I was at. I think it was my last mutation.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Beeme posted:

code:
A: antennae 1, thin skeletal structure 1, nightstalker 1
With all this talk of Demonspawns I ended up making a DsMo, hoping for claws and/or monstrous, but I'm at XL4 and my mutations look like this. Should I ditch my fists and take a stabby weapon?

Honestly, you could do whatever you want with that build. Antenna and night stalker are both good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Torpor snails should be renamed Waste All Your Blink Scrolls Because of This Dumb Enemy Snails.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

You have no idea how happy this post makes me.

They're so annoying. Torpor Snail + a single death yak is like a death sentence for even the burliest Lair-capable character. Or burn all your incredibly precious pre-lair consumables.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Haste is probably better than blink against them, do torpor snails move slowly like other snails did?

If you have haste castable by L:2 you're doing something I'm not.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

I meant a potion. In terms of escaping while slowed, one haste potion can likely do what it would take many blink scrolls to do, depending on where the stairs are.

I didn't have one. And the snail itself isn't so tough, it's the other non-slow monsters around.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah, if you didn't have one you're out of luck. I believe with a haste potion + slow you'll move at your regular speed, which should generally let you run from speed 10 monsters like death yaks(especially once you get out of range of the torpor snail), or fight faster monsters like spiny frogs.

Torpor snails seem like a good monster but the scenario in question hasn't really come up for me, I still seem to encounter them alone most of the time.

Same here, until today and it hosed me up the fucker.

And it was a DsMo of Makleb (running off of the recent convo) with claws 2 and guardian demons and I just got powered by pain and I was a STEAMROLLER.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

oneof3steves posted:

All of shoals clear with no demon trident.
What the hell game.

That's not really uncommon, is it? I guess maybe a little.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Makhleb's invokable spells only depend on Invocations, right? Not fire spells, or spellcasting, or anything like that?

correct

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think you go up there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The solution to torment/hellfire/whatever being unpredictable is obviously save points.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

bisonbison posted:

In non-extended opinions, I think the earliest spot in the game that could use a revamp is the Lair/Orc transition from early to mid-game. Lair is really long and monotonous, but with pretty good danger curve. Orc is optionalish, but boring/easy and then not.

Stupid idea of the day that does not fix O/L: each game, flip a coin on which will spawn in D, and make the other a sub-branch of the other on one of the first 3 floors.

One idea I had once after seeing the Orc "spider" vault was to have passageways back and forth between lair branches and Orc, or somehow mix them up a little. That would be neat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ogres rule when you find amazing poo poo early.

Just found the lair entrance and my dude's found:

4 Cure Mut potions (and I quaff id'd another)
1 potion of XP
a ring with {rF+ MR++ SInv}
+9 dire flail {crush, MR++} (god gift)
+7 Giant club {holy, rF-} (god gift)

and a bunch of other good rings, rPois, decent robes, etc. I could have MR++++++ if I wanted.

And I was killed by a couple of spiders outside of the branch entrance!

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 13, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Draconian ghosts are horseshit.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hall of Blades being in elf makes too much sense. Good to see it back.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Playing a DS in trunk, 1st two mutations are horns and claws, but I didn't get the monstrous message. Is this a bug, or do they just not announce monstrous anymore?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I legit don't understand how anyone streaks casters multiple times, cause it seems like pure luck in regard to this. Its perfectly possible for the first group of enemies to be a pack of jackals, you to waste all your mp without a single kill, and then what? You're hosed. Nothing you could of done about it.

Yet I know there are players that streak tons of stuff all the time, so what are they doing to avoid this?

Better to be lucky than good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Started a DsMo, got nightstalker, found a ring of invis and a Dith alter all by D:2. I guess I see where this one's going.

Edit: It went in a sewer, where I died.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 19, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darox posted:

fightmans

Where did this poo poo start? Is it a yospos thing or something? It's really not very cool

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Mattybee posted:

Octopodes are, I swear to god, the least fun thing I have attempted to play in Crawl.

Know what would make them a lot better? cloaks. There, I said it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

have one of the aoe skills randomly dredge up bits of coral in unoccupied spaces that impedes movement and maybe causes very minor contact damage to any enemies next to them

coral is formed from the compressed bones of dead critters, it only makes sense

Coral is a living organism that makes an exoskeleton.

amuayse posted:

So are we talking like someone benevolent(ish) like Poseidon or Nodens or weird and alien like Kanaloa/Cthulhu type of god here.

Yes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

I thought they were going to make a bunch of new random vaults that gave you equivalent loot not just move it to another branch.

Now it's a completely optional branch inside a completely optional branch inside a completely optional branch!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Stelas posted:

I get the rough idea but I'm not seeing how even a MiBe layered in +5 armor does a whole lot against three Depths enemies when he's level 2. They took one look at my berserking, hasted rear end and one-shot me anyway.

I'm sure that's the intention, but Crawl's enormous variance on damage and the randomized spawns kind of screw with the whole idea.

Maybe a MiBe is the wrong choice for that layout. Try an HO anything of Qazlal. It's easy that way. Zig Sprint's the only one I've won.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

Letting players know what affects their damage, and telling them how much damage they're doing, would be a good thing IMO.

It's the single best change that could be made to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

Like if the messages changed to "You sock the monstrous demonspawn for 47 damage!!" instead of "You sock the monstrous demonspawn!!"? Would that take something out of it?

I wouldn't even mind a number that pops up over the monster when you hit it.

• Locked thread