Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

TZer0 posted:

I can't think of a better place to appear...

Nice quickblade. Did that actually generate as random loot or did you convert from a gifting God?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Wolfechu posted:

Am I right in just assuming that TSO's aura has the opposite effect to Dith's, and would wreck any chance of being stealthy?

It doesn't make you completely unstealthy, but it cuts your stealth significantly (by half maybe?). Usually that's not a problem, because TSO doesn't allow attacking enemies who haven't noticed you.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

PleasingFungus posted:

There are a few; people have been talking about a bailey-tier "demon pit" portal vault, for example. People have been talking about that forever, though. I don't know that there's any portal vaults coming out in the near term; maybe sometime before 0.16's release?

I like the idea of making Wizlab a guaranteed portal vault each game. They're always interesting but it feels like they almost never show up. There could also be some kind of air and earth themed "caves" to go along with fire and ice, but a portal vault full of gargoyles sounds horrible.

I tried a healer for the first time yesterday (technically third, but the other two died before XL 5). I'd have to rank it up there as one of the oddest classes to play. With high invocations you can completely neuter some threats, but because you are devoting skills to invocations and receiving reduced experience, you are also completely unprepared to deal with other threats. For example, I could one shot the Lernaean Hydra with greater healing, but spider was a brutal slog because literally every non-unique is immune to Ely's powers.

The food game is also weird, because your powers are actually quite hungering and anything you pacify doesn't leave a corpse (unless something else kills it). My food management was careless enough that I started to get legitimately concerned about running out of permafood if I kept going. I ended up dieing in Vaults because the enemies had outpaced my pacification abilities and my skills weren't up to snuff otherwise.

I feel like one big improvement to Ely would be to give her failure messages similar to the newish hexes failure messages - give a message based on the percent chance of success overall, rather than based on the individual roll.

Now back to playing VSBe until I win. I would probably have won already if the combo wasn't so powerful that it makes me do stupid things to get banners. I did manage to get Speed Demon II though, so that's something.

E: Forgot one thing. How the hell would someone manage to get Ruthless Efficiency III. The only thing I can think of is a melee character who uses nothing but Oka gifts and evocables, otherwise you're bound to put on something lovely and cursed at some point. Even with Oka gifts you could end up putting on something lovely with Contam, but that's not quite as crippling. Also, I guess you just hope that you put on Amulet of rMut before Amulet of Inaccuracy.

E2: PleasingFungus will eventually point out that I misread Ruthless Efficiency III. It's get a rune without scrolls or potions, not win a game.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 2, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

PleasingFungus posted:

Tragically removed along with chunk sublimation, I believe. (Just as beef jerky simulacrula were removed when chunk simulacrula went the way of the undead dodo.)

When on earth would you want to wear rMut before getting your first rune? Unless you were doing something insane like abyss-diving for the rune, I guess...?

You wouldn't, but my point was that every time you put on another amulet you risk it being your last, because it might be cursed. I suppose malmutate isn't really a risk in a three rune game until Zot, and you can probably deal with getting malmutated in Zot though without too much trouble, as long as you don't get teleportitis 3 or something.

I suppose the Ds of Makhleb is a decent idea. The Ash idea is funny, but wouldn't you eventually get excommunicated because of piety decay? I guess you could just choose to give up a slot to cursed equipment.

E: As PleasingFungus will eventually point out, I misread Ruthless Efficiency III. It's get a rune without scrolls and/or potions, not win a game.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 2, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

PleasingFungus posted:

Once you get your first rune, you can use as many scrolls and potions as you like!

I'm an idiot. I thought III was win without using any scrolls or potions, and that II was get a rune.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 2, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Actually, some kind of crazy distortion-causing Abyssal Dragon could be a really awesome end/postgame unique. Are there any uniques that show up only in the deep Abyss, yet?

Have it as a postgame unique and have it banish you directly to Abyss 4 or 5 so that it's not just an annoying joke.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

pathetic little tramp posted:

I have not been able to play in the tournament this time around, sadly, because it's been a crazy week and a crazy weekend before that. I may have time tomorrow. It looks like no one has gotten Lord of Darkness III or Lorekeeper III yet so maybe I'll spend tomorrow trying to get those.

Lord of Darkness III: Win a game without having entered the Temple, the Orcish Mines, the Lair, or the Vaults (+50 tournament points).

So, you have to win the game by basically diving down to depths for all your XP needs, then getting the abyssal rune as your first, then hoping you have enough wherewithal to survive two rune branches of Pan. I could see maybe using an AK for this as it would make that first rune simpler plus you could use corrupt to maybe ninja the runes in Pan, but I feel you'd have to Abyss scum a little bit to get yourself Pan-survivable and that would mean major Lugonu piety loss. Also you'd probably have to determine you're going to take on Gloorx Vloq's floor + the demonic rune and leave Cerebov/Mnoleg/Lom Lobon to rot.

Lorekeeper III: Win without raising any skill to 13.

Hahaha gently caress. Uh, Deep Elf Red Mage I guess, get every spell school to 12.5, worship Dith to get away from everything. Or maybe Mummy Red Mage so it takes forever to build anything.

Ooh, good question, it's gotta be the natural skill level, I imagine.
vvvvv

I'm determined to get Lorekeeper III. I actually had a pretty promising run at it until I forgot shields was turned on and raised it to 13.0 (then I got pissed and splatted going for a different banner).

Once I figured out that Ruthless Efficiency III only required getting a rune, not winning, I decided to take a run at that. Used some shops to get good equipment, was progressing nicely. Oh, I'm hungry, better hit 'e', 'y'... *r*, *u*. drat it.

I feel like Lord of Darkness III is difficult, but not impossible. I think that doing Depths underleveled would probably be the most difficult part. Clearing to D:15 without entering Orc or Lair is usually doable, if ill advised, but the difficulty spike on entering Depths is huge. There's a ton of XP in depths though, so if you can get through it you should be pretty well set up (if a little light on equipment). Once you clear Depths, Abyss is your only realistic option, and it should be mostly survivable. Once you have the Abyssal rune you can scum the Abyss for XP because you hate fun.

As I already said, I'm not going to get any wins this tournament because my hubris demands I try to get banners that are well beyond my ability to obtain.

Unrelated to all of that, what are good endgame AC/EV/SH numbers (either individually or combined) to shoot for on a melee fighter using shields?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

BigFactory posted:

And repel missiles. Venom Mage has the bolt spell, that's the only advantage and it's not a good one.

Sting is actually a powerful spell for the early game. It's damage is the same as magic dart plus it poisons the target, allowing you to kite stronger enemies. Still, venom mage has the huge weakness to poison immune enemies, and poison doesn't exactly scale well into the late game (but you can always take venom mage and then train conjurations instead of poison).

E: What Angry Diplomat said.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Ciaphas posted:

Note to self don't forget to put on your rPois buckler before entering Snake.

:sigh:

Oh well. New character time. I like mutations, but I don't much like spellcasting. I don't want to play a MiFi or whatever again; anything I should try?

VSFi, Gl, Mo, Be, As. Go Trog or Oka, get quickblade, kill everything before extended, do the TSO->Zin switch, kill everything else. Can obviously get use out of utility spells, but my 15 rune win was a VsBe that didn't cast, cleared 20 floors of a Zig too. Can also do a stabby one with Dith.

CeHu. Supposed to be easy, I just die though.

If you like casting that's more like melee, DrTm. You cast spells, but the spells are so that your hands make better swords.

OpMo (not really, if you're an unarmored octopode there's no reason you wouldn't eventually be using spells).

E: For mutations, Ds*, or *CK.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Decided to try out a HODK, and man, Yred's gifts are really strong in the early-mid game. A profane servitor in Orc isn't exactly fair, and now I'm running around Spider with a profane servitor, two bone dragons, a soul enslaved Orc High Priest, and a death cob. I know Yred drops off, and becomes practically useless in extended, but before that, he's pretty great. I also like the play style, it's like being a summoner without the trouble of actually having to summon things.

I'm wondering about my mutation set. On the good side I've got rF+, rElec, MR+, and Thin Metallic Scales 1 (+2 AC). Those are some fantastic resistances, but I've also got Frail 1 (-10% HP) and No Device Heal 1, which aren't great on a melee fighter (Hill Orc). Thoughts? I'm inclined to say the good outweighs the bad and not cure them.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 11, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Is there a place I can see all the invocations titles together? Also, what exactly are the criteria for invocations titles? Invocations as your highest skill, ****** of piety (not sure if that's required) and Invocations was the last skill to 27, first skill to 27, something else?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Prism posted:

The criteria for getting an Invocations title are Invocation being your highest skill and piety level. Gozag checks money on hand instead of piety. I don't know what Xom checks, if anything.

That's basically what I thought, but I was most confused about what "highest skill" means when you have more than one skill at 27. If, for example, I have fighting and Invocations at 27, do I get an invocations title, or do I get Conqueror.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
code:
3006914 NotMyLeg the Grim Reaper (level 27, 237/237 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Death Knight on Sept 11, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Yredelemnul.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Sept 12, 2014!

The game lasted 07:47:36 (75460 turns).

NotMyLeg the Grim Reaper (Hill Orc Death Knight)   Turns: 75460, Time: 07:47:37

HP 237/237       AC 47     Str 23      XL: 27
MP  43/45        EV 15     Int 20      God: Yredelemnul [******]
Gold 4358        SH  0     Dex 12      Spells:  7 memorised,  4 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     B - +9 executioner's axe (chop)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     J - +8 fire dragon armour
rNeg   + + .     rCorr    .     (no shield)
rPois  +         rRot     .     T - +2 helmet "Ymijaj" {rPois rN+}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     a - +0 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth-}
SustAb .         Warding  .     M - +2 pair of gloves {rC+}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     o - +0 pair of boots of the Orb {Str+3 Slay+2 SInv}
Gourm  .                        b - amulet "Xyharo" {rMut +Inv rElec}
MR     +++..                    e - ring "Orghao" {rPois rN+ Slay+3 Stlth-}
                                L - ring of Robustness {AC+8}

@: extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: icy blue scales 1, thin metallic scales 1, agile 1, blink 1, fire resistance
1, frail 1, magic resistance 1, electricity resistance, no device heal 1, placid
magic 1
a: Blink, Animate Dead, Recall Undead Slaves, Injury Mirror, Drain Life, Enslave
Soul, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility
0: Orb of Zot
}: 5/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, abyssal, gossamer
It's not a high score or anything, but a win is a win. Third ever, first in the tournament.

I probably could have gone TSO or TSO->Zin and taken on extended, but I'm tired and felt like I'd rather just take the win than try to pick it back up tomorrow.

Next, grabbing an easy combo and trying to streak dying to an adder.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
My HODK win had an interesting run through Zot. I didn't run into a single OOF or Ancient Lich on Zot:1-4.

I then cleared the outer areas of Zot:5 and one half of the right lung without a singe OOF and only one Ancient Lich.

Entering the second half of the right lung, I got this.

code:
 72622 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 72622 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: Your spells are a little easier to cast, but a little less powerful. [an orb of fire]
 72626 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 72626 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 72639 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 72639 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 72644 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 72648 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 72649 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 72650 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 72658 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 72660 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 72664 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 72669 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 72677 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
Fortunately, I still had my Yredelemnul horde following me around, so a couple profane servitors and bone dragons were able to soften up the initial wave (didn't kill anything, but at least took the OOF health down). I was also able to use silence to help neuter the ancient liches.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jeffrey posted:

I'm pretty sure the shield of the gong is even louder than qazlal, an alarm trap every time you block something instead of a fireball every turn. In other words....do it!

e: vvv No but gong is a regular shield.

According to the wiki,

Alarm Trap - 12 (equal to a shout)
Fireball Exploding - 15 (Qazlal @ Max Piety)
Singing Sword - Up to 35
Shield of the Gong Block - 40 (Really loving Loud)
Alarm Trap - 40

E: Surprise, the wiki is wrong about alarm traps.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 13, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Prism posted:

I think that might undersell Qazlal by a little; aren't the storm clouds louder than 15 when they actually electrify something? I got told that once but I don't know how accurate it is.

That's entirely possible. I can't find anything on it, and don't feel like looking at code, but a lightning bolt (like the spell) generally makes 25 noise.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

kaschei posted:

traps.cc 675
code:
noisy(40, pos, msg.c_str(), source, false);
I will have to look later to see how storm clouds work but the normal noise due to qazlal storm is
code:
noisy(min((int)you.piety, piety_breakpoint(5)) / 10, you.pos());
aka up to 16 noise at ***** and above

slouch definitely doesn't, it looks like step from time does.

Of course the wiki was wrong. Corrected above.

Anyone have advice on Xom? I know that you can do things to manipulate Xom's level of entertainment, but is it necessary/worth it. I'm playing a TrCK and my strategy so far (on L:3) has been to just ignore the mechanics, accept the good, deal with the bad. Aside from trying to keep interest from falling to "BORED" is there anything I should do differently?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Apparently all of the uniques decided to hang out on D:4 today.

code:
  2695 | D:4      | Noticed Pikel
  3375 | D:4      | Noticed Menkaure
  3403 | D:4      | Noticed Eustachio
  3845 | D:4      | Noticed Prince Ribbit
  4407 | D:4      | Noticed Duvessa
  4407 | D:4      | Noticed Dowan
  5302 | D:4      | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
  5371 | D:4      | Noticed Sigmund

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Even if I disagree with some of the ideas, I think putting out ideas to improve extended is good. One problem though, is that if you are focused on replacing/fixing torment, I think you're missing one of the big issues with extended. This problem isn't "torment and hellfire are bad mechanics", it's that torment and/or hellfire are the primary threat for 10 runes. Even if hellfire and torment are good ideas, making them the centerpiece of the entire postgame gets exhausting and repetitive.

Changing the mechanics of torment and hellfire just means you have some other overused threat. What the postgame needs is more variety, not a different form of repetition.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 21, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
How does the Mummy intrinsic Necromancy spell boost work? Is it just a wizardry bonus at levels 13 and 26, if so, how much of a bonus?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Prism posted:

I agree with most of this.

If you do have to take on Dowan and Duvessa at the same time, try to kill Dowan first. Duvessa berserks when Dowan goes down, but Dowan hastes himself and gets new, more dangerous spells. As a Spriggan, I'm fairly certain his Stone Arrow can one-shot you if he gets lucky enough to hit with it.

But yeah, just leaving the area alone is a perfectly valid strategy. Nothing says everything has to die immediately, and you're sneaky enough to be able to pull that off with no problems.

Also, if you can separate the two, you can kill Dowan, let Duvessa berserk, and then run upstairs. Duvessa will only berserk once, so if you can avoid it she just goes back to being normal. Note that Duvessa won't berserk until she enters you line of sight, so if she's off screen when you kill Dowan you'll have to find her, let her berserk, and then run upstairs.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

BigFactory posted:

I wouldn't even mind a number that pops up over the monster when you hit it.

Stars should appear over the monster. More stars means more damage. The scale is non-linear, but also not logarithmic.

Seriously though, I don't see any reason not to announce damage done, but I also can't think of a time when I really needed the information. I do think it could be helpful to have weapon descriptions tell you "damage per aut" or something similar, because it's not particularly intuitive to determine whether a +9 vorpal spear does more damage than a +0 vorpal glaive. I know even that has issues, like what about accuracy (who cares) and what about elemental resistances (just display dpa for non-resistant, non-vulnerable enemies).

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

LogicNinja posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that. I guess it doesn't stop unless they notice you?

I've noticed it too, but I can't find anything in the changelogs. You can definitely still auto-explore into sleeping enemies without waking them up, so it's not just when they notice you. I'm thinking it's something like if the monster notices you, if you get within a certain number of spaces of the monster, or if multiple monsters enter LOS then it stops auto-explore. That's just a guess though.

If the guess is right, it seems like a bad change. There are plenty of times (all of the times?) that even though a monster hasn't noticed you, you still don't want to close any distance. You may just want to duck back around a corner, you may want to use ranged attacks, or, if you're a stabber, you may want to find a better approach. Since this doesn't appear in the changelogs I wonder if it's a glitch, but I don't have a current game to demonstrate it with.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

PleasingFungus posted:

talked with some people on crawl-dev about this. consensus was that it's probably one of three things: na^chei walking (which is slow enough that a single move will often cause this), this 18-month-old bug, or you being crazy. I'd give it about even odds between the three.

The very strange thing is that the bug is reproducible - I assume it only hasn't been fixed because people are terrified of touching the travel code. Understandable, but...

In my case I can say it definitely wasn't the first (not a chei follower and the monster was still asleep, so it wasn't an issue of the monster moving), probably was the second (I've noticed it several times recently and never before the past couple weeks, so maybe the change magnified this bug), and I'm 99% sure it wasn't the third (but that's what a crazy person would say).

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jeffrey posted:

The computer figures out the number fine, and it would be easy to show damage each turn, but presenting the information in a way that actually makes it more clear is what's difficult. It's not like it's a simple range from 0-36 where all numbers are equally likely - numbers in the early part are more likely than numbers in the late part. The distribution might look something like this:

(not a crawl graph, just an example)

So, given the above graph, they could print 0 to 350, or whatever the mean/median is, but that doesn't tell the whole story. You are a whole lot more likely to get between 50 and 100 than over 150. I imagine the devs are wary of putting down numbers if they will tend to confuse players more than they help.

It is definitely frustrating that crawl doesn't have a nice, simple system like Sil does - it'd be nice if Linley had the foresight to do that from the start. However, the system present now works pretty well even if it's opaque. Redoing the whole thing just to end up where you started with a fun, balanced game is a ton of effort just to make the damage numbers more presentable.

It still should be pretty easy to just calculate the average damage (per swing/per aut/per whatever) and display that. It's more useful than a range that means "your number will be somewhere in this range, but it's heavily weighted to an amount you don't know." I would think that even with a complicated formula underlying the whole thing, determining the average should be easy. Also, I would just ignore enemy dependent factors like AC, EV, resistances, and vulnerabilities and just use the number for a hit on a 0 AC enemy with no resistance or vulnerability.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Thug Lessons posted:

You would pretty much have to redesign the entire melee system to get something that was both distinct from 2h and balanced out of dual wielding.

I could see something working that slots dual wielding as some combination of a shield+offhand attack. Make it something like a parrying dagger, it adds a small amount of Shields, but also preserves a small amount of off hand damage, while also being something wielded, meaning it can have bonuses and brands (probably weighted toward shield brands and bonuses, rather than weapon brands).

The main tradeoff between one handed and two handed is shield v. damage. As people have pointed out, if the tradeoff between one handed and dual wielding is also shield v. damage, then there's no difference between two handed and dual wielding (except multiple brands and bonuses, which just means dual wielding is a better form of two handed). By making dual wielding something different, some shield + some off-hand damage, it at least fills a slightly different role. For balance, the shield would have to be less than using an actual shield, and the bonus damage would have to be less than the one handed off-hand damage (or it would all have to require ridiculous skill investment), but it could work.

That said, I'm just throwing out ways to make it work as something interesting, I don't actually think dual wielding adds to the game and tend to agree that it is a Bad Idea.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

kaschei posted:

I can't find anything on this. Except, from ranged_attack.cc:
code:
 141     // TODO: adjust_noise

861 void ranged_attack::adjust_noise()
 862 {
 863 }
:laugh:

I'm not code diving right now, but if the wiki is to be believed, ranged attacks create noise at both the launch site and the impact site as follows:

Launch Site Noise
code:
Launcher 	Loudness

None    	0
Blowgun 	0
Sling   	1
Bow 	        5
Longbow 	6
Crossbow 	7
Impact Site Noise
code:
Missile 	Loudness

Needle 	        0
Stone 	        1
Dart 	        1
Arrow    	1
Bolt    	1
Large rock 	14
Sling bullet 	1
Javelin 	5
Throwing net 	3 
E: Also, according to the wiki, impact site is always the last square reached by the ammo. So a bolt of penetration makes noise where it stops traveling, not at every square it hits an enemy.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 30, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Dexters Secret posted:

This is the third time I've made it to the entrance of the Depths. Every single time I go through that door I get pasted on my casters. Basically in order to survive I need to be constantly, constantly casting, because I can't go back through the entrance, because if I do, I will get pasted going through because all the monsters will be waiting by the door.

How the gently caress do you survive this place?

Don't remember if you are playing online, but if you are, people might be able to give a more specific advice if you posted a morgue file. In general, you survive depths by not entering it until later. The general advice on progression through the dungeon is something like this:

D to Lair
Lair:1-7
Lair:8 unless it is giving you problems (dire elephants can be tough)
D to Orc
Orc:1-4
[Lair 8 if not already done]
D:15
Lair Rune Branch A:1-4
Lair Rune Branch B:1-4
Easier Rune Branch End
Harder Rune Branch End
Vaults:1-4
Depths
Third Rune (usually V:5, Abyss on some characters, Slime if you really know why you are doing it now instead of later)

You can make some changes to the roadmap (Orc before Lair, get one rune, then use Vaults for XP) but it generally works pretty well.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Dexters Secret posted:

I just experimented with starting out as an air elementalist as a Formicid. Much better than you expect. Because of their high resistance to electricity, they can bounce their shocks off the wall to double hit enemies without worrying about damaging themselves. And they can use their racial dig to create perfect terrain. Swiftness gives them good escape.

Problem is, of course, their terrible aptitudes regarding Conjuration and Air Magic.

I'm really running out of ideas on how to make this species work for me. I really like them, conceptually, but it seems like they're really reliant on getting certain drops to even take advantage of their strengths. Trying to get both a 2 hander and a shield is a tall order in itself. Abyssal Knights, the only background that will give them a somewhat reliable distance maker, doesn't give them either of these. Frustrating.

Formicids do not have inherent rElec. I think Gargoyles are the only starting race that has rElec as an intrinsic from XL 1 (Black Draconians get it at XL 7).

Here are some god ideas for formicids (a race I love to play, but haven't won).

Zin - Tough going in the early game (but great in Orc), but gives Sanctuary, hands down one of the best escape powers in the game. Recite is really fun, but doesn't come into its own until late.

TSO - You know what's better than shields, more shields. Another God that's a little rough early on, but summoning divine help is always good.

Lugonu - Blinking is good to create some distance and run, but the real reason you're going Lucy is for self banishment. It really is a great panic button escape (of course, then you're in the Abyss).

Chei - Step from time is comparable to Sanctuary in terms of a panic button, push it, all the enemies go away. Also, Chei makes you an unstoppable force, right up to the point that being slow gets you killed.

Fedhas - Grow plant, walk through plant, plant becomes wall, plant lets you escape.

Qaz - You know what's better than shields, even more shields (wait, that sounds familiar), also rMsl. Qaz is not going to help you escape anything, but he will make it so everything just comes to you. Pump Invocations.

Makhleb - Always good for melee. Pump invocations.

Trog - A weird choice for a Formicid since you lose out on berserking, but Trog's other abilities are good, especially brothers in arms.

As for background, your thing is big weapons with big shields, so fighter probably makes the most sense. Gladiator gives you some nets for early killing/escape options if that's where you're having trouble. (Obviously AK if you want Lucy, and if you walk a little you can usually find an exit from the Abyss and preserve that early piety).

E: Some general thoughts on playing a Formicid. You can shaft yourself, remember this and use it. Yes, it might dump you into a bad situation, but a chance of ending up in a bad situation is better than a certainty of being dead. Use your free digging to create murder holes where only one enemy can attack you. If you're facing enemies with smite attacks or reaching attacks, dig a diagonal hole off of your murder hole so that only one enemy can see you at a time.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I like the new icons for rings, it's like they're trying to trick you.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Prism posted:

Wait, seriously? That's amazing. I really gotta try transmuters someday.

It's real.

FR: Players in Hydra form should be able to wear multiple amulets.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 5, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

BigFactory posted:

Always do Lair before Orc, Pvc. Scott, even if lair is deeper.

Although it seems like Orc is always deeper these days. Used to be the other way around.

I believe that .14 (maybe .15) changed the Lair and Orc placement so that Orc now usually spawns deeper than Lair, but it's not guaranteed. Something like Lair spawns on 8-11 and Orc on 10-12?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Plus a FeFi only gets some unarmed and dodge, since they cant use the weapons and armor that fighters start with. Gotta work on that magic the hard way!

E: though I suppose FeBe could potentially be worse.

E: Trying out a FeFi. Just stabbed a dog to death on D:4. A+++

FeBe is actually pretty good. I mean, it may be one of the worse Berserkers, but Berserkers are really strong. I feel like "no trog" would actually have to be a rule for a lot of challenge combinations, otherwise just running to a Trog altar is a good strategy.

FeFi of Gozag?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Okay, I splatted a few MuCKs, but I'll jump on the FeFi bandwagon.

E: One dead already because I accidentally chose FeMo.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

apple posted:

H.A.M. FR: make everything other than running towards the adder sub-optimal, saves the player from having to think about running up the stairs

FR: Give adders mesmerize.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jeffrey posted:

Wait do the boots of the assassin let you stab with ranged weapons? I imagine not, but an ogre who sneaks around and quietly chucks large rocks at unsuspecting monsters sounds awesome.

I think that they do, but in the "you stab the kobold with your arbalest" way, not the way you want.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

PleasingFungus posted:

Historical background: Shoals was in development for quite a long time before it actually made it into the game (iirc 0.2 to 0.6?),

It really is a unique mechanic, for all its flaws!

That's not to say it couldn't be better, of course. I have a standing plan to investigate "crawl lite tides": only switches between shallow water and land (never creates/removes deep water) & moves significantly faster, such that it's a tactical factor in combat.

Sounds like lazy tides to me.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Since we're talking about the in game documentation, I have a very minor comment. A few spots (okay, at least one spot) in the manual refer to "resting and searching" when discussing using '.', 's', and '5'. Should probably be changed just to resting since searching for hidden doors isn't a thing any more.

Also (kind of related to hidden doors by a really big stretch of the imagination), are regular dungeon floors supposed to generate with completely disconnected sections? I know they can generate with vaults that have undiggable walls and have to be accessed from above/below, but I thought completely unconnected sections of dungeon was a thing of the past. In my game the unconnected room was still accessible from below, so it wasn't a problem, but I thought it was odd to see an isolated room just hanging out by itself.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

PleasingFungus posted:

Sort of, kind of. Orc is allowed to have that kind of thing, but generally the level generator frowns on it. I'd need to see more to say whether it was a bug or not.

Yeah, I expect that in Orc, but this was definitely in D. I only saw it because I happened to read ID Magic Mapping.

Unrelated, anyone tried the new Irradiate spell. Vehemut is offering it and not sure if it's useful. Probably should just take it for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

dis astranagant posted:

It's like Iron Shot with even less range (only hits adjacent dudes) and a chance to give you cancer.

My initial impression is that it would be a pretty good offensive spell for a transmuter, since transmuters expect to get up close with enemies. As a DECj glass cannon, I'm not sure I want to be in a position where it's useful.

E: Kind of wishing I was a better hybrid race right now, since I have +14 slaying before Lair.

• Locked thread