Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I'm relatively new to the game, so I wasn't sure... is this some sort of bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

OK, I need some advice on how to deal with "Unseen Horrors." My two best runs so far have ended on D:8 and D:10 respectively - BOTH TIMES right before I made it to the entrance to the Lair. I'm playing a Deep Elf Conjurer.

The first time, I had no idea what to do and just basically was beat to death by the thing. The second run, I thought I was more prepared by having a scroll of fog. When I used the scroll, it allowed me to see the thing, but I was unable to target it with my magic. I tried to polymorph it with a few HP left, but that did nothing to it and it killed me.

vvvvv aw gently caress me

meatpath fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 28, 2014

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I would rather play console, but the tiles version map is hard to pass up because I can get a quick view of the overall layout of the current floor. Is there anything like this in the console version?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

edit: nevermind, found it

meatpath fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 5, 2014

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Any general tips for TrMo? I've been playing one lately, bouncing between Okawaru and Cheibriados. Furthest I've gotten is Shoals:5 (Okawaru) after clearing Lair 1-7 and part of Lair 8, but I was ambushed on Shoals 5 and just couldn't get away from a mob. I'm not really having a reliable way to restore life after taking a big hit other than trying to run/stair/blink/teleport away and just wait.

Some general questions I have for this build:

1) What kind of armor should I be shooting for long-term? I've been using enchanted robes and cloaks, mostly, because a lot of armor pieces I find are 'too small.'
2) Should I worry about training throwing? I wondered if some type of ranged ability would have helped me in the Shoals, but throwing stones so far doesn't seem very effective (haven't taken it very far).
3) I've been assuming I should just focus on unarmed for the duration, but should I worry about training any other type of weapon? Okawaru gave me a nice crossbow on that run, but it didn't seem feasible to worry with it at that point (I was level 14 I think).
4) Should I be putting stat points into anything other than strength?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Kekekela posted:

1 - Some kind of dragon armor, also a shield.
2 - Yes, large rocks hit like trucks.
3 - Just unarmed.
4 - Dex is probably better.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

2. Definitely develop throwing. With throwing and large rocks, you can deal out insane damage at range. I had a TrBe that occasionally one-shot Stone Giants with thrown large rocks. It's basically the long-range counterpart to the Troll's deadly melee.
3. Okawaru likes to give out a range of tempting crap to get you to split your XP/waste your time. Trolls have crap aptitudes at most things and are generally better off focusing on what they're good at: unarmed combat, throwing and fighting.
4. Put all your points into Dex. Trolls start with sufficient strength and dex provides better returns in the form of EV increases. You might want to put a point or two into Str near endgame if you want to wear Gold Dragon Armor and don't yet have the strength to overcome the encumbrance penalty, but for early game, Dex is far better.

Thanks for the advice, especially about the large rocks. One problem that has been unsolvable for me so far are the Hydras in Lair. I learned the hard way that Tr claws just make them worse. I just took my first one out with three large rock throws. :fuckoff:

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

TrMo - is Labyrinth generally worth it? I've read you need plenty of rations, which I don't want to waste. On the other hand, I do not have stellar equipment at this point, either. This is on Lair 6.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Ran it with no problems, did not find any loot I could really use, though. But at least I know I can take out the minotaur with ease at this point. Went in 'engorged' and didn't have to use a ration at all.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Am I hosed here? I've never seen any of these enemies before.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

apple posted:

They should go down fairly easily with slouch, but I'm guessing from your MP you haven't trained invocations much? You should fix that ASAP!

Yea, I had not really done much with invocations...

So, my run just ended:

quote:

82397 meatpath the Grappler (level 15, -6/149 HPs)
Began as a Troll Monk on Oct 7, 2014.
Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
Mangled by a four-headed hydra (9 damage)
... on Level 5 of the Swamp on Oct 8, 2014.
The game lasted 03:37:49 (23777 turns).

Definitely the furthest I've been so far. I cleaned out Lair 1-8, a Labyrinth, and had access to the Swamp, Slime Pits, and Snake Pit. I opted for the Swamp, first. Floors 1-4 were not difficult, and I didn't have any major close calls that couldn't be handled. Then came Swamp 5. I don't know how many loving Hydras I faced on that floor alone, but I killed 21 in total (and I think 20 of those were in the Swamp). At least 8-10 of those were on the fifth floor alone, along with the Lernaean hydra, probably about 10 swamp dragons, and a pack of spriggans (including a druid) I had to deal with. In the end, I just burned too many consumables and eventually was surrounded by two hydras and a bunch of wisps.

I know I failed to train invocations, and I probably was not quite ready to deal with the fifth floor, but I also do not see how to adequately deal with the hydras as a TrMo. Large rocks do fine, but I only found nine of them in this game. I burned through them and had to use regular rocks, which I used to just plink away at the hydras. This takes forever to kill them. Is there another way of dealing with them reliably?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

This is my karma for whining about hydras so much the other day.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I didn't have any problems with the hydras, but the death yaks got me on 8. :( It was a stupid death, though, my own fault.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I would like to join a group for this, but I've never made it past XL 15. :sweatdrop:

I'm meatpath on CAO.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

murtidash posted:

I Love You! and I are going to be starting a new team for the tournament, team terribad. Right now it's just us but anyone is welcome to join as long as you're able to play a few games.

Right now it's just the two of us.

Team Terribad
-------
1. Murtidash
2. I Love You!
3. Open
4. Open
5. Open
6. Open

I want innnnnn. I'm meatpath on CAO and CSZO (I only really play on CAO, does it matter?)

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Is it normal to find a gold dragon armor on the ground in D:2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Seems pretty rare, which is neat. Guess I'll try and use it. TrMo.

• Locked thread