Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Does swiftness work for merfolk in water? This and more important questions after a short break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

I just want to say that David Bowie's Procedural Death Labyrinth is the best name.

God drat.

:drat:

Thanks! I was struggling to come up with one and that's what I got, glad you like it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 29, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

these necrophages are really getting under my bark

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I assume they have autobutcher in their rcfile.

It is a travesty for that photo to have the mouse in it though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah, I use ascii primarily because I have way more practice quickly parsing english letters than I do small pictures of monsters. I'm not gonna preach it I just play faster and like it better that way. Tiles is also a little more laggy I find, but I still use it for spectating because it's convenient to have it in a browser tab.

Also with ascii I can make a terminal window big enough to show the entire map without having to scroll around, hugeterm forever. I definitely wish there were a better way to show monster weapons in ascii but what can you do?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

As of 0.15, you can use ctrl-t to toggle between monster glyphs & the weapons they're holding. (In console.)

Still not nearly as good as tiles, of course, but might be an improvement for console players? Probably less tedious than x-ing everything.

...whoa. My ideas for it involved the monster list. What I do now is ctrl+x and look to see if there is anything dangerous that I need to find with x, but this way sounds better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm pretty sure there's an rcfile setting to log the chat but I could be wrong.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pitch posted:

Why is Slime disqualified from the Ruthless Efficiency banner? How would that be cheesable?

Jiyva gets you the rune for free.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pitch posted:

There's not always a feature freeze, or trunk isn't always put on hold during the tournament?

Yeah in older tournaments there was an adjustment period where you'd play with fun new features for a few weeks, like no more nausea, and then have to go back to not having it for the tournament.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I like polearms with ally gods, which makes merfolk a reasonable choice. Minotaur and Hill Orc always work.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Does the CBRO server count in the tournament? I might try playing there, it is a bit closer to me and maybe will be less laggy than cszo.

shhhh you're breaking the first rule of CBRO

Yeah it works and it is great, it has like a fifth of the population of other servers(maybe more than that during the tournament but still).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Davzz posted:

Playing as an archetype that's really hungering for a Gozag worshipper doesn't seem like an optimal plan... unless you're playing a mummy or something.

Spriggans don't eat meat anyway, it'd be fine with one of them. Regardless of aptitudes, Spriggan Conjurer is quite viable if you want to go that route. I haven't actually played as Gozag though, he seems like he needs work.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Why the gently caress is ranged combat so laggy? I just got killed because I was lazily trying to mash through a generic draconian monk, then couldn't stop attacking when I dropped to low health because apparently I had a bunch of attacks queued. Normal combat doesn't lag nearly as much but whenever I use a ranged weapon it seems to drag so much.

You can speed up the animations by setting the "view_delay" field, which defaults to 600 - I don't know if this works for everything and I'm hesitant to say anything concretely because I have not tried it myself.

EDIT: While we're talking about cool commands that we spend forever not knowing about, I played for a long time without using ctrl+G, always cycling through the X maps to go to different floors. I'm...glad it's there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

By this argument, you'd want autopickup for chunks to be off by default.

Only if you make auto_eat_chunks also auto eat potions of blood for non-vampires. Think about it in terms of keystrokes, not nutrition.

...I won't complain if that is actually changed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Blood potions should probably only be created by vampires and not an item that spawns at all for others, like ash and curse scrolls.

EDIT: Haha, the wiki says "Alternatively, you may wield a potion of blood to fuel a casting of Sublimation of Blood." Is that (still) true? Also I guess ghouls would lose a way to cure rot, doesn't seem like that big a deal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Speleothing posted:

The whole point of the autopickup menu is to not need to mess with the rc file.

The whole point of the rc file is to not need to mess with the autopickup menu every game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Are we barfing rcfile stuff in the thread now? My turn!

I don't mind picking up the first of these things(which will be unid), but I generally don't want a second:
code:
ae += wand of (confusion|enslavement|flame|frost)
ae += wand of (magic darts|random effects|slowing)
ae += <of slaying
Pick up secondary armour for slots you don't have anything in:
code:
# Armour autopickup by rwbarton
{
add_autopickup_func(function(it, name)
  if it.class(true) == "armour" then
    local good_slots = {cloak="Cloak", helmet="Helmet", gloves="Gloves", 
boots="Boots"}
    st, _ = it.subtype()
    if good_slots[st] ~= nil and items.equipped_at(good_slots[st]) == nil then
      return true
    end
  end
  return false
end)
}
Pick up ammo if you have ranged skills trained, stones if you have sandblast, arrows if you have sticks to snakes:
code:
# Ammo autopickup, adapted from egopickup by rriegs
{
local pickup_missile = true
local pickup_snakable = true
local pickup_sandblast = true

local function init_spells()
   local sp_list = {}

for _, sp_name in ipairs(you.spells()) do
      sp_list[sp_name] = true
   end

return sp_list
end

local function ammo_pickup(it, name)
   local class = it.class(true)

local sp = init_spells()

local top_ranged_skill = math.max(
      you.skill("Slings"),
      you.skill("Bows"),
      you.skill("Crossbows"))

if pickup_missile then
      -- Pick up ammunition needed by our skills
      if class == "missile" then
         if you.skill("Slings") > top_ranged_skill / 3 then
            if name:find("stone")  then return true end
            if name:find("bullet") then return true end
         end
         if you.skill("Bows") > top_ranged_skill / 3 then
            if name:find("arrow") then return true end
         end
         if you.skill("Crossbows") > top_ranged_skill / 3 then
            if name:find("bolt") then return true end
         end
      end
   end

if pickup_snakable then
      if sp["Sticks to Snakes"] and it.snakable then
        if name:find("arrow") then
           return true
        end
     end
  end

if pickup_sandblast then
     if sp["Sandblast"] then
        if name:find("stone") then 
           return true
        end
     end
  end

return false
end

add_autopickup_func(ammo_pickup)
}

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LogicNinja posted:

I've found it. The Worst Vault.

It's an Abyss Vault... full of Abyssal Rune mimics.

Maybe one of them is real better check.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Razzled posted:

So I kind of tend to die right around having completed L8 pretty much every time now. What can I do to improve here? I've kind of just been clearing Dungeon until I find the Lair, then clear the Lair, then I do one of the mini dungeons inside the Lair and then I promptly die. How do you know if you're ready to take on stuff in new areas? Should I be going back to the dungeon to grind a little more XP on easier monsters?

My morgues: http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.15/players/razzle.html

Save the lair branches until later. A common route is Dungeon until lair, lair to the bottom, dungeon until orc, orc to the bottom, dungeon to 15, then the lair branches (not slime!).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Once I had a jelly vault on L:2 that poo poo was not cool.

I was able to kill enough of them and then run to my stash to save it but that's scary stuff, folk wisdom isn't always correct. :(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

This, but with a MR-ignoring polymorph effect on all non player monsters. Allies become hostile & armed with distortion weapons/abyssal claws.

Giant spores polymorphing you sounds like a pretty funny idea actually. I think monster polymorph is underused now that it doesn't just mutate you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I always thought a cool orb run effect would be parts of floors being corrupted and having abyssal enemies, like the abyss is leaking into the dungeon without the orb's presence. Would also nerf the "dig out paths between stairs" thing that I don't know if anyone actually does.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

This thing I saw was this, but who knows:

minmay posted:

yes it does, monster attack delay with a weapon is (10+[base delay])/2
so a monster attacking with a bardiche has an attack delay of 15 and one with a spear has an attack delay of 10 or 11 randomly

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Davzz posted:

Exponential damage increase for particularly high values of strength which favors the big races.

Or is that too arbitary?

More advantages for being big in general... I would like to see a new race that's designed as an easy Large race, really. Somewhere around Minotaur power level.

Doesn't troll kind of fit this bill? I mean it has it's own strange food thing but they are pretty simple as far as crawl races go. They don't have the crazy aptitudes of minotaurs but they have crazy damage instead.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Davzz posted:

Trolls sort of peter out after the early game in my opinion, compared to how invincible a Minotaur (and Gargoyles but Gargs are just nuts) can get.

They're not terrible and still average out to I think "medium" level difficulty through the course of a game. I think Trolls in the late-game need a bit of finesse to play though that might not seem obvious to newbies like still training up certain support spells with their terrible apts.

The only really "easy mode" Trolls would be Large Rock turrets.

Yeah they definitely fall off more than minotaurs due to aptitudes, but I think they are still very winnable by new players for 3 runes, the early game is the hardest part and they pretty much beat that for free once you know the enemy types.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't like it because it kills your EV and spell failure and the AC/resists often don't really make up for that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm guessing that for hobgoblins it is just pillar dancing, early adders seem like dice rolls. I mean you do get a number of turns to weaken them or run away if they are at the edge of LOS but yeah. *shines the_glow signal*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 5, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

More armour skill is always better, make your armour choice based on your strength and armour/dodging aptitude ratios, and your armour/dodging skill allocation on your armour choice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Razzled posted:

Oh dang, I thought it was the bee knees for armors. All excited for nothing :[

It's the highest AC armour but AC isn't the be-all, end-all, EV is important too. It's better to have both, and GDA kind of kills that. Heavier armour also slows down unarmed attacks so I definitely wouldn't use the heaviest armour on a UC character.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can guarantee Trog by picking Be(Ely is also a starting option), but godspeed if you try Lugonu, that's a pretty tough sounding challenge.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Stoat posted:

What is required, and what is nice for slime? I've never done more than 3 runes (two lair + vaults) but I would like to try for 5 (those 3, abyss and slime) at the least.

Me right now, I have rCorr amulet available.

You should probably turn off weapon skill and train dodging, at least until you have a different weapon. 4 EV is really low and once you hit the magic breakpoint for plate, you should get a lot with 28 dex. AC will get degraded by corrosion while EV won't, so it's extra-important to have both in slime. rMut would be nice to have as a swap but you can live without it, just manage line of fire around shining eyes. rC+++ would be a boon but you should be fine with rC++, the last pip doesn't do that much.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

I haven't figured this out yet, but I've found when the magic happens is usually around 21 to 23 dodging skill.

I think it's lower than that - in plate it was definitely good around 16 last time I played. The whole formula is...complicated, I don't have a concrete one, it depends on aevp which depends on armour skill and strength, along with what armour you are wearing. There is a program here which doesn't have the armour skill effect or shield/barding effects, but calculates it other than that.
http://bpaste.net/show/ae9ohtdTwEJDXUds6P2I

I realize this isn't exactly enlightening but:

learndb posted:

dodging
If your dex is over 24, set it to 14+10*log2(1+(dex-14)/10). Then your base EV is 10 + size_factor + (7 + dodging * new_dex) / (20 - size_factor). Then subtract your aevp and asp, then if the result is over 30, set it to 10+20*log2(1+(result-10)/20). Then apply randarts, rings, and merfolk/tengu bonuses. Go stepdowns!

aevp
Adjusted body armour evasion penalty. Affects spell success, melee accuracy. Its value is [(2/5) * er^2 / (str+3)] * [45 - armour_skill]/45.

Size factor is -2 for Og, Tr, Na, Ce; +2 for Ha, Ko; +4 for Sp; 0 for others

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Prism posted:

I'm not sure how to use that program or that formula!
Yeah if I did I would have done it for you. :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Prism posted:

Total transparency if you can remember all your math classes from a decade or more ago.

computers can do the math part for you :)

The moral of the story is train dodging and get dexterity because they multiply by each other in the formula (at least until dexterity is 24) and multiplying makes numbers bigger faster.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've made excel sheets before to work out the practical effects of skill levels using the various formulas.
Someone should make a master sheet with all the various equations on there.

There's one for dodging skill but it didn't have encumbrance in it, just dexterity and dodging skill, so I didn't bother linking it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Class homework: How much EV will he have if he switches to the scale mail?

I think you should switch to the scale mail. Turn off shields for sure if you're going to use an executioner's axe, probably turn off fighting and throwing for now as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 8, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Deep Dwarves are very resilient and having to adjust to not being able to regenerate health can be really good training. They take more patience, but they can be really devastating.

I played DDBe which felt like a cheap workaround. It is definitely helpful to learn how to minimize damage, though you can play a little looser than Makhleb as long as you stay in branches with corpses. My piety was looking thin trying to do crypt. They are definitely super-strong though, rDamage is nice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Enemies with holy wrath weapons doing tons of damage to demonspawn/undead seems worse than distortion - at least the abyss is cool and flavorful, 300% bonus damage or whatever ridiculous factor it is on a goblin with a dagger means you lost at species selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

kaschei posted:

It's 75% on average and no, no it doesn't.

Protip: try not to get hit by enemies with glowing weapons as any race

You're right of course, I guess I don't know how bad it is in the midgame on since I've never gotten that far with a demonspawn/mummy. I should try and make my rcfile give me a --more-- prompt on seeing an enemy with a glowing weapon, I think that would help. I can't find the mantis page discussing it, I guess the max extra damage is 150%? That's still insane, even when compared to the 50% for flaming brands that mummies get while vulnerable.

• Locked thread