Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah and the fleet upgrade might be the one single most annoying issue.

And late game with bigger and sprawling cities, the fact that you can't build road over rail and that cities do not expand over rail really does drive me nuts, too. It makes for tedious activity to bulldoze and build small patches all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Overwined posted:

While their progress is still very slow, they at least acknowledge future plans in a vague sort of way.
They did that a month ago. And then didn't communicate anything specific. Has there been a "replace vehicle instantly"-patch, or are we still stuck with managing aging vehicles one by one? With one viewporting menu per bought item?

[Edit]
Just read the last few posts more carefully. The answer seems to be "yes, we're still stuck with it".

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 5, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

Build 4519 (October 17)

-Optimized navigation performance (the game runs more fluently when changing the camera)
-Optimized rendering performance (the game runs more fluently in general)
-Optimized simulation performance (there are less and shorter freezes / lags due to simulation tasks like town growth)
-Optimized line manager performance (the game runs fast now also when the line manager window is open)
-Optimized track builder performance (eliminated a freeze after constructing tracks)
-Optimized fog and far plane
-Optimized storage size of large truck cargo station (more storage size now)
-Optimized user interface date format
-Optimized mouse cursor
-Added signal animation (animate old signals and show red / green for modern signals)
-Added load game progress bar
-Added several level of detail models for vehicles
-Added support for Windows XP 64 Bit
-Fixed land use layer z-fighting
-Fixer buildings level of detail when zoomed in (detailed facades are now shown consistently)
-Fixed a crash which occurred in rare cases when cargo items did not find their destination
-Fixed music player (store current song title / position in save game)
-Fixed pause state (store pause state in save game)
-Fixed a track builder bug (it was not possible to build parallel tracks in some cases)
-Fixed vehicle loading time (loading time was sometimes calculated incorrectly)
-Fixed a bug where cargo items disappeared at stations
-Fixed a train station bug (paths of arriving people were not correct)
-Fixed train station last platform model
-Performance boost and a large list of improvements

After two weeks of hard work we are excited to release a major game update.
Most important, the update (build 4519) brings the long awaited performance boost. Navigation, rendering, simulation and line manager performance have been significantly improved. The game now runs more fluently and big lags are history. However, note that the first view still needs some processing time, but as soon as a region has been explored the game runs fast.

In addition to that, there is a large list of improvements and bug fixes. For instance, railway signals are now animated, the main menu shows a progress bar when loading a save game, and buildings now show detailed facades consistently when zoomed in. As always, many improvements have been motivated by community requests.
You may wonder what we do next. Still there is a large to-do list. One top priority issue is way points or at least line track selection at stations. Also, track construction should be more convenient. In addition there is a list of details like e.g. make cars waiting at railroad crossings. There will also be more performance optimization (especially for very large scenes) and finally, we also want to implement the widely requested vehicle auto replacement feature.

You can be sure that we continue to listen to the community and improve the game, and we are confident to present a next game update soon.
Thanks for your continuing interest in Train Fever!

This will be enough for me to head back into again.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

patchnotes

I might give it another go this weekend too.

E: Okay this is pretty great. Much, much better performance just zooming and panning across a fresh medium-sized map. Looking very good!

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 17, 2014

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Apparently they are planning on updating track selection so you can actually select which platform the train will stop at.

I just hope they finally figure out how to build a road over a railway track without the game getting all confused!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Apparently they are planning on updating track selection so you can actually select which platform the train will stop at.

I just hope they finally figure out how to build a road over a railway track without the game getting all confused!

I also hope they figure out a way to make bridge building cause less insanity.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
e: sorry, wrong thread

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh, cool. It is in fact possible to tunnel under the rivers. (Though I'm not sure why you'd want to.)

Also the best part of the train track upgrade tool is that it lets you upgrade the track through stations to high speed, instead of it being stuck at low speed track forever.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Are there other companies you compete with?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Back To 99 posted:

Are there other companies you compete with?

No, the only kind of goals are some achievements, that don't reset between games.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The new patch added some fixes, a new bus and waypoints and the ability to select the platform the train arrives to.

I enjoyed them and it makes route planning much better.

http://www.train-fever.com/2014/11/less-traffic-jams-a-new-bus-and-waypoints/

quote:

Build 4625 (November 12)

Fixed a crash that occurred when a line was assigned to a vehicle
Build 4619 (November 12)

Added waypoint feature
Added a new bus (MAN SL 192)
Improved traffic simulation (less jams)
Improved modding support for custom signals and waypoints
Removed dependency on OpenGL extension GL_ARB_timer_query
Build 4587 (October 31)

Fixed train signal lights rendering (when anti-aliasing is disabled)
Fixed bus lanes rendering (when anti-aliasing is disabled)
Fixed a music player crash
Fixed a crash which occurred when an industry was not able to send a cargo item to its destination (because a street was removed just before)
Fixed line manager multi delete click bug
Fixed a crash which occurred when bulldozing bus or train stations
Fixed 100% achievement unlock problem (removed special achievement so that all players can reach 100% now)
Fixed a random crash on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
Fixed a selection rendering crash on AMD Radeon 3xxx/4xxx graphics cards
Fixed a bug on Intel graphics cards which caused the sky to be rendered in black
Fixed a bug on Intel graphics cards which caused the scene to be rendered completely in fog
Fixed several random crashes on Intel graphics cards with old drivers
Improved Lua script robustness (important for modding, script files get verified now)
Improved Lua script syntax error handling (important for modding , message boxes are displayed)
Improved Lua script semantic error handling (important for modding , message boxes are displayed)
Improved run-time modding error handling (important for modding , message boxes are displayed)
Improved selection rendering performance on Mac OS X
Improved sky box textures
Added level of detail models for building cranes
Added level of detail models for vehicles (MAN 19.304, 40 Tons Truck, Mercedes-Benz O 6600, Aboag, Volvo 5000, Saurer Tüscher)
Added 4K resolution to main menu graphic settings
Added Italian translation

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The game is 40% off on Steam right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any sign of them ever adding the ability to make crossings or build roads over tracks?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Baronjutter posted:

Any sign of them ever adding the ability to make crossings or build roads over tracks?

Okay, to build roads over tracks, you build the tracks first and then lay the road down flat across the section of track. You won't be able to confirm it yet. Use the N and M keys to raise and lower the midpoint of your proposed road section. Eventually if the game thinks it's a good enough idea, you'll get a confirmable bridge across your tracks or tunnel underneath. Maybe.

I don't know why this isn't documented clearly. I also don't know why this doesn't work for track over road.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is it possible to make crossovers and such? I'm trying to double track a line but I can't figure out how to connect the two lines.

Also it would be nice that if I'm building under a bridge I've already built that it would be smart enough to move the bridge piers instead of making me go around them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

When you have proper parallel track, you can make a crossover from one to the other just by dragging from one track to the other.
However, there is no way to cross one rail track with another without making a pair of switches, or a bridge or tunnel.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does there have to be space between the tracks for that to work, or can they be directly next to each other? They're touching, and if I click on one and drag to the other, nothing happens.

Also, how does freight work? I've got an iron ore mine producing "26/50" whatever that means, and my train has been there for months and it only has 3 units.

E: No, nevermind about the connecting tracks, I just wasn't dragging enough length. Still no idea how freight works.

E2: And I think I solved my cargo problem as well, I need to move cargo where it wants to go, not where I want it to go. Time to start a new game I guess.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 21, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've got a passenger train station that I want to delete so that I can plop another one there in the same spot with more platforms. Every time I click it I get a 'Vehicle is using it' error, even if there is no train on it. I've tried sending all trains to their depots and deleting all the track around the station itself so that it was unreachable but nothing works. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something obvious?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Goetta posted:

I've got a passenger train station that I want to delete so that I can plop another one there in the same spot with more platforms. Every time I click it I get a 'Vehicle is using it' error, even if there is no train on it. I've tried sending all trains to their depots and deleting all the track around the station itself so that it was unreachable but nothing works. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something obvious?

Did you join it with any nearby bus stops? That could potentially be a problem. Failing this, it's probably a bug.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The bus stop was the problem, thanks.

I've been really enjoying this game. I don't know if it is because I got in after the performance patch but I've had no problems with the game on a older machine with like 40 lines going.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Goetta posted:

I've been really enjoying this game. I don't know if it is because I got in after the performance patch but I've had no problems with the game on a older machine with like 40 lines going.

The patch really really helped. Before it, my 3570k and 660ti struggled despite the SSD, but now everything is baby butt smooth.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Still runs like a dog for me in the late game. Nothing shits me quite as much as an indie title that won't let me force AFR2. There's something infuriating about watching 2 of your 3 cards idling.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
OK still don't get freight. I understand that freight naturally moves from point A to point B, and the best I can do is just replicate that with my vehicles. But it's really lame that trucks make way more sense economically than trains for freight until they get enormous.

Also if everything on the map is stuck at 0 production how am I supposed to get anywhere with that?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All cities accept goods, specifically the industrial buildings do. Make a route from a goods-producing industry to somewhere near the industrial district of a city and start moving goods to there. If the goods-producing industry doesn't have a way to get raw materials, you'll also have to make a route for that.
That will bootstrap the chain.

Sometimes, just building new roads to create shorter links between industries and towns will be enough to make the industries send out their products "by foot".

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
In my experience there is a bit of a lag when takes setting up a route from the input to the factory then the factory to the city before everything kicks off. The game probably calculates when it is feasible to produce every so often, so I've had a factory sit there for like a few minutes all ready to go because it suddenly lurches to life.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Industry is pretty easy to get running but very expensive at first. You have to basically build all your infrastructure at once, there is very little ramping up. First you need to build a line from the resource building to the industry, find two that are fairly close. It doesn't matter if there's already a road, it doesn't matter if it's producing or not, it will be. So let's say you've got a line that's bringing oil to a refinery, you put a train on it, you tell it to just go (never tell it to wait till full) and it just runs back and forth doing nothing but draining your money. It isn't doing poo poo because the refinery needs a connection to a city. The industries in the game are fairly smart. An oil well won't produce any oil if it doesn't have a customer (refinery) wanting to buy oil, and a refinery won't buy any oil if it doesn't have customers to sell its goods to (factories).

Once you have a train going from an oil well to a refinery, then from the refinery to a city you will see production very quickly ramp up. Eventually though it will stop, but why? The city you linked to doesn't need any more goods. This is where things can get a bit more lovely. A single refinery/smelter/whatever produces way more goods than a single city could ever use, and a single goods train needs to move a lot of goods to turn a profit. So, you end up having to make your goods train hit multiple cities. The problem with train fever though is scale. The cities never get big enough to use the most expensive passenger trains, nor do they ever get big enough to demand enough goods. 1-2 industries can feed every city on a map. The other problem is that service frequency is VERY important, this is why telling a vehicle to wait until its full will kill you. This is why trucks are often always better because they have a high service frequency.

If towns produced more passengers and demanded more goods everything would work out a lot better, but for the most part you'll only want to use trains to deliver raw materials to factories, then trucks.

I did make a good amount of money on a cargo line by having a factory in one corner of the map feeding 3 adjacent towns via truck, then a freight train moving the goods to the other side of the map to another town, plus a truck line spreading the goods farther from there. But the general problem is that like high speed trains, the cities just never have the demand to justify them.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
That is completely contrary to what I found out when I started experimenting with industry. Production from the final production building was always completely equal to the goods needs of the city or cities it was able to deliver to, minus whatever goods it got from other sources (sometimes it would produce a couple more or a couple less, but I assume that was because of lag.)

Of course, I only used trucks for goods transport, since setting down train lines didn't seem worth it. I assume the issue with train lines could be that with fewer departures, and as the waiting time was entered into the equation, the industry found out that it could not, in fact, deliver within 20 minutes after all, and it would halt production. Note that this is only my assumptions based on the pitfalls I found with passenger lines.

Joda fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 24, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Joda posted:

That is completely contrary to what I found out when I started experimenting with industry. Production from the final production building was always completely equal to the goods needs of the city or cities it was able to deliver to, minus whatever goods it got from other sources (sometimes it would produce a couple more or a couple less, but I assume that was because of lag.)

Isn't that exactly what I said?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
The way I read it you said that industry will produce more goods than any city could consume. I may have misunderstood you.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know it is a gameplay mechanic but it is funny how there are these factories and mines ready to go but the employees are glumly sitting around waiting for some benevolent transportation god to send them some oil or something.

Or the poor guys slowly walking beams of steel towards some factory.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Joda posted:

The way I read it you said that industry will produce more goods than any city could consume. I may have misunderstood you.

Ah right I meant that a single industry CAN produce more goods than a single city could ever consume, so if you want your industries to keep upgrading you'll have to feed the goods to multiple cities, which cargo trains are bad for :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just downloaded the new patch on Steam. There's two places where there are supposed to be links to guides. No guides. Oh well maybe one day they will fix it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Here are the patch notes for your inconvenience.

quote:

Release notes
Please find below release notes for each game version published on Steam.

Build 4820 (December 17)
Added vehicle auto replace function
Added train depot open and close doors animations
Added Steam guides to main menu and to welcome window
Added advanced car traffic simulation (cars now “see” the current street speed and traffic jams)
Added town AI which prevents the player from bulldozing major street connections
Improved loading speed of vehicles (dependent on number of doors now)
Improved construction tools (colliding obstacles are now highlighted)
Improved track builder usability
Improved street builder usability
Improved verification of model files (animation and event names are now verified)
Improved industry selection sound effect metadata (effects are now stored in model file)
Improved vehicle balancing (lowered TFV price and running costs)
Improved people and car consistency when modifying streets
Improved bus and tram stations (more space for passengers now)
Fixed cannot-delete-railway-track-bug
Fixed several track builder bugs
Fixed several street builder bugs
Fixed people selection when waiting at stations
Fixed achievement unlocking (unlock only if save game user id matches current user id)
Fixed several minor issues
:toot:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Poil posted:

Here are the patch notes for your inconvenience.

:toot:

Thanks. I might actually have another go at it now. That is if I can pry myself away from farming for a minute.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
You have to have the Steam overlay turned on for the guides to work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Added town AI which prevents the player from bulldozing major street connections
The local authority. The arch-nemesis from Transport Tycoon is back. Argh!

(This is a really bad time for them to drop a patch, when KSP just went Beta.)

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Performance is still dogshit in late game. I have to wonder if they even tried any optimizations, I honestly can't tell. The in-place vehicle replacement feature is nifty and should have been there in the first place, but... you can only specify one consist/vehicle per line. If you like mixing and matching consists to increase variety, it seems you're poo poo out of luck. Maybe it's something they will add somewhere down the line. For now I'm going back to plowing.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

nielsm posted:

The local authority. The arch-nemesis from Transport Tycoon is back. Argh!

(This is a really bad time for them to drop a patch, when KSP just went Beta.)

Guess you didnt bribe them enough :smug:

What is KSP?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Ineptitude posted:

What is KSP?

Gonna assume it's Kerbal Space Program. I saw it getting updated. There's just not enough hours in the day any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

What is KSP?

Kerbal Space Program. The best way to explode rockets, and maybe learn you some actual science.

I do hope that "city prevents important roads from being demolished" thing won't make it near impossible to upgrade some roads. I've definitely had some cases where I had to rearrange things to make it work.

• Locked thread