Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

R. Mute posted:

how can you tell when somebody is trolling and when somebody isn't?

Don't troll me bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

R. Mute posted:

how can you tell when somebody is trolling and when somebody isn't?

Great question. When someone states openly multiple times that their responses in a given thread are a conscious attempt to troll others by pretending to believe things they don't and take positions they don't have, that's usually a decent clue. This is often buttressed by said person being actually probated for announcing this, which actually happened last month. So thanks for helping me articulate why this shouldn't even be a topic for discussion!

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 28, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Great question. When someone states openly multiple times that their responses in a given thread are a conscious attempt to troll others by pretending to believe things they don't and take positions they don't have, that's usually a decent clue. This is often buttressed by said person being actually probated for announcing this, which actually happened last month. So thanks for helping me articulate why this shouldn't even be a topic for discussion!
did he put a time-frame on the trolling? maybe he's stopped. how can you know?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah I mean how can you know if someone is a racist if they don't begin every sentence with "I am a racist"? I mean how can you be sure???

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah I mean how can you know if someone is a racist if they don't begin every sentence with "I am a racist"? I mean how can you be sure???

Can you quote your replies to R. Mute to another thread? I'm trying to read responses to Amergin and you responding to Mute's trolling and derailing the thread is really annoying.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
This is a thread specifically created for troll responses so your false equivalence is a big swing and a miss.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Unzip and Attack posted:

This is a thread specifically created for troll responses so your false equivalence is a big swing and a miss.
are you just trolling us now? this just seems too oblivious and you do have a big ol' troll stamp on your rap sheet. mods?!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hey, please answer my question as to why Amergin's trolling, which got him probated in July, is now not against the rules? Be specific, thanks.

You know what's funny? I actually checked the rules out (because this is d&d and all) and trolling appears no where in them! There is a lovely post rule here in D&D which allows mods and admins to decide when to probate/ban for bad posting. But thats for them and not you to decide!

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
OP there's a QCS forum how about you make this thread there, maybe you'll get the positive feedback you're looking for..

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You know what's funny? I actually checked the rules out (because this is d&d and all) and trolling appears no where in them! There is a lovely post rule here in D&D which allows mods and admins to decide when to probate/ban for bad posting. But thats for them and not you to decide!

Ah this explains why people get probated for trolling then.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

So ban reasons are forum rules now? According to the leper's colony there is now a forum wide rule against prairie dog racism.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I thought the USPOL thread was a pseudo chat thread anyway. The last times I was in there there was a ton of posts about violent revenge fantasies and excessive drinking, surely that's as trollish as anything the Amergin fellow has said.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So ban reasons are forum rules now? According to the leper's colony there is now a forum wide rule against prairie dog racism.

Yes, trolling and prairie dog racism are comparable in terms of how they affect posting quality. You guys are really having to stretch here and it's hilarious.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Unzip and Attack posted:

Not to be pendantic, but doesn't formal debating explicitly involve being assigned positions on issues randomly, often forcing you to argue for positions that are in direct opposition to your own personal beliefs? Really seems as though it's just keeping the Debate in Debate and Discussion.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Posts up! Don't Troll!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

tbp posted:

I thought the USPOL thread was a pseudo chat thread anyway. The last times I was in there there was a ton of posts about violent revenge fantasies and excessive drinking, surely that's as trollish as anything the Amergin fellow has said.

:ssh: it is and the idea that its anything else is a liberal lie :ssh:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes, trolling and prairie dog racism are comparable in terms of how they affect posting quality. You guys are really having to stretch here and it's hilarious.

It actually Isn't.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

nah it's more like the rules are actually written out and you can't arbitrarily add to them just because you don't like someone's posting

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

tbp posted:

No, saying you like a certain mixed drink, while off-topic, is not "as trollish" as someone who says Michael Brown deserved to be shot because he robbed a store, even though they don't believe that, in order to see "what pushes their buttons" to quote this person. Not even close.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
If you go on about how it is trolling and how others should not listen to them and continue to put a lot more effort into it than they have put into it, you have been successfully trolled, the pants have been trolled the heck off of you. The terrorists have won, except it's forums terror and you are the sad crying american liberal talking to foreigners about 9/11 like it's the only bad thing that's ever happened to anyone ever.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 28, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

No, saying you like a certain mixed drink, while off-topic, is not "as trollish" as someone who says Michael Brown deserved to be shot because he robbed a store, even though they don't believe that, in order to see "what pushes their buttons" to quote this person. Not even close.
what if i post that i like mojitos while in reality i'm not all that fond of them?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

it is impossible to not like mojitos so that wouldnt work

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

maybe i'm double-trolling

e: guy that really hates trolls, how do you feel about double-trolling?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

R. Mute posted:

what if i post that i like mojitos while in reality i'm not all that fond of them?

I don't think anyone would really be surprised to hear you sold out for the mojito lobby, whore of babylon

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
The USPol thread is talking about news articles and this thread is full of terrible arguments.

It's too early to declare victory, but so far this thread is everything I hoped it would be. Keep it up, guys! :911: We can do it!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

drat you've trolled us into trolling this thread to death

i am slain

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

If I were a mod and cared about this I'd declare posting about posting in this subforum a 1 month probation offense and if there's an actually serious problem to take it to QCS.

e: that is, posting about posting in a thread that's not about that, I would keep threads like this open. :laugh:

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 28, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Assume nobody is a troll, even if they admit to it. Act with no sense of irony. Feel no shame about "falling for the troll", "feeding the troll", etc. That plays into their hand. The troll does not care if they are outed as a troll. All they care about is attention, and anger. They want negative attention because they're hosed in the head. What would really gently caress with them is if we expressed sympathy for them and asked them to seek therapy. :getin:
You are not smart for determining someone is a troll. You are a moron for playing into their hand.
That said, Amergin is not a troll in the traditional sense, and you all are tremendously dense for not seeing the distinction. He's a Devil's Advocate. That's pretty much exactly how he's described himself. He wants to challenge our assumptions, see how we respond to opinions we strenuously agree with. When we just scream about him being a troll, and try to shoo him into a quarantine zone, we make ourselves look like pricks. He is a true debater. Hell, dude was probably in Debate Club or something in high school. He's a mercenary trying on arguments as an intellectual exercise. This is not to praise him, or defend him as some kind of hero, but only to clarify what he actually is, for the benefit of the nattering nabobs.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
shut down D&D

bring back LF

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

bring back lf on the condition that the only thing they can do is troll d&d

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Going by D&D's rules, the reportable posts are the ones by people who want all the Amergin-responders to shut up, and not Amergin himself nor people responding to him.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If you're such a baby you can't scroll past posts you don't like or aren't interested in maybe you should read a different forum OP :shrug:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Wolfsheim posted:

If you're such a baby you can't scroll past posts you don't like or aren't interested in maybe you should read a different forum OP :shrug:

If you don't think that threads should have topics or that people should try to stick with them then maybe you shouldn't read forums.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

like we had the exact same loving debate over tbp and guess what? Ignoring him and not making a big deal over his posting means he comes around less.

I like tbp

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

seriously though, what are people's favourite mixed drinks?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Someone with lovely opinions may or may not hold them in earnest. If you want to reply to them, cool. If not, also cool.

Posting is not a scarce resource.

Whining about people responding to someone who has opinion shared by a significant portion of the public, in a forum that is literally devoted to arguing, is dumb. That person may be a troll, but who cares?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

shut down D&D

bring back LF

Also this.

Though mocking people for having hilariously stupid opinions is more accepted these days.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jimbozig posted:

If you don't think that threads should have topics or that people should try to stick with them then maybe you shouldn't read forums.

You're not really talking about banning liquorchat or whatever though, you're talking about a guy who posts about US politics in the thread about US politics. Granted, that posting is deliberately incendiary and probably not earnest, but it's not really off-topic either.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
If someone wants to be contrarian in the politics thread, it's on topic.

Maybe they're for real, maybe not. Replying isn't really offtopic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

tbp posted:

We actually had to make a separate thread for that because people wouldn't shut up about how depressed they are and how alcohol is the proper way to deal with it. The system works!

• Locked thread