Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

R. Mute posted:

how can you tell when somebody is trolling and when somebody isn't?

Well if they disagree with you that's it.

It's like obscenity, you know it when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Wolfsheim posted:

You're not really talking about banning liquorchat or whatever though, you're talking about a guy who posts about US politics in the thread about US politics. Granted, that posting is deliberately incendiary and probably not earnest, but it's not really off-topic either.

I'm not telling Amergin to post here. Read the thread, dude!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Kudos I guess for getting everyone to shut up in uspol at least for the moment

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
How is having a specific space just have your bullshit addressed at much greater length than normal anything but a troll's wet dream? Why are you positively reinforcing someone deliberately being an rear end in a top hat?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

make Amergin mod or IK

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Not to be pendantic, but doesn't formal debating explicitly involve being assigned positions on issues randomly, often forcing you to argue for positions that are in direct opposition to your own personal beliefs? Really seems as though it's just keeping the Debate in Debate and Discussion.

Spatula City posted:

That said, Amergin is not a troll in the traditional sense, and you all are tremendously dense for not seeing the distinction. He's a Devil's Advocate. That's pretty much exactly how he's described himself. He wants to challenge our assumptions, see how we respond to opinions we strenuously agree with. When we just scream about him being a troll, and try to shoo him into a quarantine zone, we make ourselves look like pricks. He is a true debater. Hell, dude was probably in Debate Club or something in high school. He's a mercenary trying on arguments as an intellectual exercise. This is not to praise him, or defend him as some kind of hero, but only to clarify what he actually is, for the benefit of the nattering nabobs.

yeah except this would involve you know actually defending his positions and you know, debating, which is not a thing he does.
editĆ you loving morons

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Jimbozig posted:

We are constantly hearing that it's good to reply to low-effort trolls spouting talking points because it's good practice for real life. Great! I'm so glad you find it edifying. This comes up so often that it regularly derails threads. And we get literally dozens of posts every day replying to trolls and arguing about trolls in just one notable thread alone. There is obviously enough interest in this topic to sustain its own thread. This is that thread. Edify yourselves and each other here.

If you find yourself replying to one of Amergin's posts, STOP. Don't click Post. Instead, ctrl-A, ctrl-C, and then paste it here in this thread. Now you and others can argue with the trolls here!

This thread isn't just for Amergin. If there's a troll in the UKPol or AusPol or any other thread that always derails things, argue with them here. Everyone who isn't interested in that poo poo will thank you.

One more thing: this is D&D, not helldump. So keep it civil and don't flame the trolls. After all, if you scare them away then you wouldn't be able to fill this thread with your supremely enlightening responses that will help us all reply to the trolls in our own lives.

If you need some tinder to start this fire, you can begin by explaining to Amergin why race is an issue and why solutions to poverty that do not address race are doomed to fail.

You just made a thread commemorating Amgergin. What the gently caress are you smoking?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HalfHazard posted:

make Amergin mod or IK

this but unironically

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Way to go OP, you managed to get everyone who complains about people talking to Amergin to quarantine themselves to this thread.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this but unironically

gently caress I was going to say that.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this but unironically

this, also unironically

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

Way to go OP, you managed to get everyone who complains about people talking to Amergin to quarantine themselves to this thread.

Isn't that the point? The problem isn't people replying to Amergin, it's people complaining about people replying to Amergin.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Seriousposting in this thread against my better judgment.

For everyone that's said they like having Amergin around, what is it exactly that you feel he contributes that was missing here? Conservative arguments aren't particularly hard to come by elsewhere. Really, they're unavoidable pretty much everywhere but here. That's kind of what I liked about D&D, that people generally took for granted that right-wing talking points were bullshit and would discuss nuances of different leftist approaches to policy instead of just trying to shout that poo poo down all the time.

This is the forum where everyone says "don't touch the poop," so what's so special about someone that decided to bring it home with him to smear on the walls?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It was noted then that, for a long time now, there have been left-wing intellectuals and right-wing intellectuals. I would like to give you formulas for them that, however categorical they may appear at first sight, might nevertheless help to illuminate the way. "Fool" (sot) or, if you like, "simpleton" (demeuré) - quite a nice term for which I have a certain fondness - these words only express approximately a certain something for which the English language and its lterature seem to me to offer a more helpful signifier - I will come back to this later. A traidtion that begins with Chaucer, but which reaches its full dvelopment in the theater of the Elizabethan period is, in effect, centered on the term 'fool'.

The 'fool' is an innocent, a simpleton, but truths issue from his mouth that are not simply tolerated but adopted, by virtue of the fact that this 'fool' is sometimes clothed in the insignia of the jester. And in my view it is a similar happy shadow, a similar fundamental 'foolery,' that accounts for the importance of the left-wing intellectual.

And I contrast this with the designation for that which the same tradition furnishes a strictly contemporary term, a term that is used in conjunction with the former, namely, 'knave' - if we have the time, I will show you the texts, which are numerous and unambigious.

At a certain level of its usage 'knave' may be translated into French as valet, but 'knave' goes further. He's not a cynic with the element of heroism implied by that attitude. He is, to be precise, what Stendhal called an 'unmitigated scoundrel.' That is to say, no more than your Mr. Everyman, but your Mr. Everyman with a greater strength of character.

Everyone knows that a certain way of presenting himself, which constitutes part of the ideology of the ring-wing intellectual, is precisely to play the role of what he is in fact, namely, a 'knave'. In other words, he doesn't retreat from the consequences of what is called realism; that is, when required, he admits he's a crook.

Amergin is the Knave we deserve.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Trabisnikof posted:

It was noted then that, for a long time now, there have been left-wing intellectuals and right-wing intellectuals. I would like to give you formulas for them that, however categorical they may appear at first sight, might nevertheless help to illuminate the way. "Fool" (sot) or, if you like, "simpleton" (demeuré) - quite a nice term for which I have a certain fondness - these words only express approximately a certain something for which the English language and its lterature seem to me to offer a more helpful signifier - I will come back to this later. A traidtion that begins with Chaucer, but which reaches its full dvelopment in the theater of the Elizabethan period is, in effect, centered on the term 'fool'.

The 'fool' is an innocent, a simpleton, but truths issue from his mouth that are not simply tolerated but adopted, by virtue of the fact that this 'fool' is sometimes clothed in the insignia of the jester. And in my view it is a similar happy shadow, a similar fundamental 'foolery,' that accounts for the importance of the left-wing intellectual.

And I contrast this with the designation for that which the same tradition furnishes a strictly contemporary term, a term that is used in conjunction with the former, namely, 'knave' - if we have the time, I will show you the texts, which are numerous and unambigious.

At a certain level of its usage 'knave' may be translated into French as valet, but 'knave' goes further. He's not a cynic with the element of heroism implied by that attitude. He is, to be precise, what Stendhal called an 'unmitigated scoundrel.' That is to say, no more than your Mr. Everyman, but your Mr. Everyman with a greater strength of character.

Everyone knows that a certain way of presenting himself, which constitutes part of the ideology of the ring-wing intellectual, is precisely to play the role of what he is in fact, namely, a 'knave'. In other words, he doesn't retreat from the consequences of what is called realism; that is, when required, he admits he's a crook.

Amergin is the Knave we deserve.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i dont know if you guys have ever viewed a real debate but there is none of this fury and anger when respected dudes are on stage. just enjoy the debate and discussion civilly regardless of views. you gotta hear the other views. its the other views that make your views the views they are

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Video Viddy Games posted:

i dont know if you guys have ever viewed a real debate but there is none of this fury and anger when respected dudes are on stage. just enjoy the debate and discussion civilly regardless of views. you gotta hear the other views. its the other views that make your views the views they are

I think you might have missed out on exciting new developements in debate technology, comrade.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

what a bunch of tard babies

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Not to be pendantic, but doesn't formal debating explicitly involve being assigned positions on issues randomly, often forcing you to argue for positions that are in direct opposition to your own personal beliefs? Really seems as though it's just keeping the Debate in Debate and Discussion.

Debates involve moderation and actually defending your topic. Amergin would make a loving awful debater, because his entire shtick is to poo poo and run with the most porous argument he can C&P off Facebook.

Bring back LF, because the only correct way to respond to Amergin is to emptyquote him without comment.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Debates involve moderation and actually defending your topic. Amergin would make a loving awful debater, because his entire shtick is to poo poo and run with the most porous argument he can C&P off Facebook.

Bring back LF, because the only correct way to respond to Amergin is to emptyquote him without comment.

Man some people just can't stop living in the past. LF's dead, baby. LF's dead.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

KoldPT posted:

I like tbp

Thank you my friend

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I like saying 'bring back LF' because it brings out the 3 or 4 posters who appear like clockwork whenever you mention it, in order to nurse a years old grudge.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

I like saying 'bring back LF' because it brings out the 3 or 4 posters who appear like clockwork whenever you mention it, in order to nurse a years old grudge.

Peace to those who fell in the line of posting.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
can we be called Concerned Trolls instead of Concern Trolls? its more accurate

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
gently caress Micheal Brown. I'd have shot him myself if I'd been given the chance. Cigars don't come cheap. Also, nuke the Middle East and waterboard people. Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same. Vote Ron Paul. I love Boondock Saints and Fight Club.

Am I doing this right?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress Micheal Brown. I'd have shot him myself if I'd been given the chance. Cigars don't come cheap. Also, nuke the Middle East and waterboard people. Democrats and Republicans are exactly the same. Vote Ron Paul. I love Boondock Saints and Fight Club.

Am I doing this right?

You forgot to call Nixon the last liberal president.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

You forgot to call Nixon the last liberal president.

I assumed that was a given.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Occupy did nothing wrong.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Helldump. Bring back Helldump.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Zeitgueist posted:

Occupy did nothing wrong.

It's what they didn't do (have a coherent message) that was the problem. Also, I think Obama lost some points with Independents with his decision to casual Friday the presser today. If he can't respect the office then I don't know how he expects people to respect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
This is, I think, a bad thread.

• Locked thread