Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j78X5LluM5U

Goon Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonlethalleague

Lethal League is a competitive multiplayer game where you hit a baseball back and forth. You might have seen it as a flash game that was making the rounds last year. The developers have taken the concept from the prototype fleshed them out into a fully fledged game with new mechanics, multiple characters, and multiple modes including four player free-for-alls. It also has a fun artsyle and a fantastic soundtrack, both of which are reminiscent of Jet Set Radio. There's also a single player challenge mode akin to Super Smash Bros' classic mode, complete with unique final boss. Unlike most indie multiplayer focused games, Lethal League has online multiplayer powered by GGPO, meaning unlike most indie games you don't need real life friends to enjoy it (:smith:), and because it uses GGPO the netcode is actually competent. Sorry Nidhogg.

Gameplay

Okay, so obviously just saying you hit a ball back and forth is oversimplifying things, so let's delve a bit deeper into the gameplay. Every time you hit the ball its speed goes up, giving you less time to react. Each hit also increases the hitlag when hitting the ball, indicated by the colored bars filling up near the bottom of the screen, so the timing for returning the ball isn't the same every single hit. Most shots speed the ball up by a set amount, but power shots (done by hiting downwards while in the air) double the speed of the ball, making speed growth exponential. The ball bounces around the stage after being hit, and if you get hit by the ball you get knocked out. Each hit of the ball also "tags" it with that player's color, making them safe from the ball. The player who last tagged the ball can continue to hit the ball though, so if you just focus on avoiding getting hit the other player will likely continue to up the ball's speed while you panic.

Characters

Lethal League has five characters, and each of them have a few differentiating factors. First off each character hits the ball at different angles for their upward and power swings. Like Divekick, a lot of Lethal League is just about learning the different angles to each character. Each character also has a unique movement ability and a special move. Special moves are activated by tapping the swing button a second time when connecting with the ball, except for Latch whose special can only be activated in the air and is activated by double-tapping the jump button.

Raptor
Raptor's special move is to instant hit the ball in any chosen direction, which can be activated during the hitlag of a swing to throw off opponents. His special movement ability is a wall jump, giving him a second jump only when against either wall.

Switch
Switch's special is a kickflip, which gives the ball a radically different path than his other swings and is extremely hard to track. His special movement ability is to ride across walls and ceilings with his skateboard by jumping towards them.

Candyman
Candyman's special allows him to make the ball wrap around the screen Pac-Man style, which can trip up players expecting the ball to bounce off the wall instead. His special movement ability is to slow his fall after a jump by holding the button down.

Sonata
Sonata's special lets her control the path of the ball off of its next few bounces, and also speeds up or slows down the ball to a specific speed during those bounces. Her special movement ability is a double jump.

Latch
Latch's special allows him to swallow the ball and then spit it back out. The ball can be spat out at any of the angles of his swings. His special movement ability is to cling to and climb up and down walls.

Lethal League is $13.99 on Steam, or you can split a two pack with somebody for $21.99 or a four pack for $39.99. Despite the simple premise the game has a lot of depth and is a hell of a lot of fun, and a high recommendation if you've enjoyed games like Divekick, Nidhogg, and Samurai Gunn. Also the soundtrack is just a straight up folder labeled music with some WAV files in it. Just saying.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I've never made a topic for a game before, so hopefully I did an okay job. Did I write too much about the gameplay? I feel like I might have over-explained the concept. Also let's get some matches going, I haven't been able to find a four player match using just matchmaking.

Edit: Went ahead and condensed the gameplay section a bit.

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 29, 2014

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This sounds awesome but I'm hesitant to buy it because I don't have anyone to play with locally (none of my friends give a poo poo) and I hear the match making is deserted :(

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

fadam posted:

This sounds awesome but I'm hesitant to buy it because I don't have anyone to play with locally (none of my friends give a poo poo) and I hear the match making is deserted :(

I've been able to find plenty of matches in matchmaking for 1v1, but free for all seems pretty dead based on the handful of times I tried searching for matches there. On top of requiring more players free for all also restricts you to players within your region unless you're doing a private match, which makes finding players tough.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Correction!

Raptor's special can re-aim the ball in any direction, including behind your original swing! Very tricky, and very good for cheaping out the shadow match in Raptor's challenge mode.

That's something else you should mention, to maybe interest people who think the multiplayer is dead. There's a single-player challenge mode that plays a lot like Smash Bros. Classic mode (that is, round 1 of you vs. Raptor, round 2 of you vs. Switch, Round three of you and Switch vs. Raptor and Sonata, etc.) hidden away under "Extra" in the menu. There's even a unique boss at the end! (It kicked my butt.) The difficulty is pretty much like facing the CPU opponent in the flash prototype, so really hard with bouts of dumb luck carrying you through.

I don't know if you knew, since you said you cut down the gameplay section a bit, but something I think new players might like to know is that a neutral swing (even in mid-air) can be charged to give more speed to the ball on hit, without adding 1 for a normal swing or doubling for the smash hit. Just let go of the arrows and hold down the button.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Wait doesn't Super Smash Bros. have pong in it now?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Correction!

Raptor's special can re-aim the ball in any direction, including behind your original swing! Very tricky, and very good for cheaping out the shadow match in Raptor's challenge mode.

That's something else you should mention, to maybe interest people who think the multiplayer is dead. There's a single-player challenge mode that plays a lot like Smash Bros. Classic mode (that is, round 1 of you vs. Raptor, round 2 of you vs. Switch, Round three of you and Switch vs. Raptor and Sonata, etc.) hidden away under "Extra" in the menu. There's even a unique boss at the end! (It kicked my butt.) The difficulty is pretty much like facing the CPU opponent in the flash prototype, so really hard with bouts of dumb luck carrying you through.

I don't know if you knew, since you said you cut down the gameplay section a bit, but something I think new players might like to know is that a neutral swing (even in mid-air) can be charged to give more speed to the ball on hit, without adding 1 for a normal swing or doubling for the smash hit. Just let go of the arrows and hold down the button.

Thanks for the correction regarding Raptor's special, updated the OP with that and also worked in a mention of single player. I actually find the final boss to be kind of a pushover, I have more trouble with the score and 1v2 matches.

When I was writing the OP I originally had a section just about the different types of swings, but removed it before I even posted the original version of the thread. I though describing every single mechanic would make people stop reading the OP halfway through.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
With regards to the boss, it's more that it was my first time facing him, I had no continues left, and he kept using his special without having a full bar, the cheat. Caught me off guard too many times. I haven't gotten back to him yet.

And fair enough on the swing overload.

Average Bear posted:

Wait doesn't Super Smash Bros. have pong in it now?

Color TV Game 15, actually. Yes, it has pong, this is a different pong though.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
A patch this morning tweaked a bunch of things and also improved matchmaking to speed it up dramatically. Was able to get into some four player free for all matches for the first time with the new matchmaking.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
This is actually really good at teaching people the most important thing in fighting games, stay the gently caress calm and don't do any moves you don't need to.
I just beat a guy doing nothing but standing in one spot, bunting the ball and passing it back to him horizontally, jumping if I need to but never moving.
I hope he keeps what I said in mind.

Feel free to add me for games, I'm EU but never really had a problem with netplay lag in ggpo with people as far as australia.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crimor/

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 30, 2014

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

This game is amazing fun. The trailer doesn't do it justice.

Sunk five hours into it and didn't really have trouble finding players, though I did end up rematching the same guy over and over for about an hour. Hopefully I can rope some friends in for some local co-op.

Also I don't know what this GGPO thing is but wow it works. I really cannot tell the difference between playing online and the offline challenge mode.

Worth the price tag I'd say.

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!
Should we do a SA tournament perhaps?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Just got this, and I was immediately hooked. Picked up Candyman as my main and I've perfected my bunt-cheese strat on my serves.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I just made a group for us if we want to use it for organizing matches.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonlethalleague

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 1, 2014

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Super Dude posted:

I just made a group for us if we want to use it for organizing matches.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonlethalleague

I went ahead and added this to the OP. Had meant to make one myself while writing the OP but forgot.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
This game is the most fun I have had in a long, long time. Everybody should play this poo poo, right now. All random, always. :colbert:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Switch's special move has an interesting use case. If you hit the jump key while in mid-air he'll start the kick flip and automatically re-direct the ball if the board comes in contact with it for the duration of the maneuver.

I've yet to run into someone online who can reliably react to a mid-air possession swap once the ball starts going ludicrous speed.

Parrying:
While you're in hit-stun (the build up after hitting a ball going at high speed,) you can hit the bunt button, this will drain your super-meter (minimum of 1 box) to put up a shield around the ball, about 2 ball widths in radius for a few frames. If your opponent attempts to hit the ball they will 'clash' with the shield and be pushed back, pretty much guaranteeing a knockout at high speed.

This is primarily used as a counter to people attempting to camp your hit-stun and get their hit in right as you release.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Has anybody else had trouble finding matches lately?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

BabelFish posted:

Parrying:
While you're in hit-stun (the build up after hitting a ball going at high speed,) you can hit the bunt button, this will drain your super-meter (minimum of 1 box) to put up a shield around the ball, about 2 ball widths in radius for a few frames. If your opponent attempts to hit the ball they will 'clash' with the shield and be pushed back, pretty much guaranteeing a knockout at high speed.

This is primarily used as a counter to people attempting to camp your hit-stun and get their hit in right as you release.
I usually feel bad doing this against players who obviously just don't understand what is happening and then leave in frustration. I did have one stick around long enough to figure it out and start using it themselves. That was cool.

The lack of any kind of explicit communication channel between yourself and other players is quite funny. Many people seem to have settled on a simple system of different wiggles by utilizing the crouch and direction buttons.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I still can't figure out how to properly manipulate most of the ultimates.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

curiousCat posted:

I still can't figure out how to properly manipulate most of the ultimates.
The specials are all really simple. In summary...

Raptor:
- Activated by swinging during hit lag
- Hold a direction to send the ball in that direction
- You can also walljump

Latch:
- Hold a direction when the ball is released to send it in that direction
- Bunt to spit the ball up in the air
- You can also climb up the walls

Candyman:
- Hold a direction to send the ball in that direction. It will travel through the first surface it hits

Sonata:
- When the ball is released, it will follow whatever directions you press until it hits a surface
- You can also double jump

Switch:
- Activated by holding jump while in the air
- Land on top of the ball
- You can also skate up the walls and across the ceiling

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Is Pong in it?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

new character is in now, and you can do 4 player FFA in quickmatch too.

The new character is really fun for me, his up hit goes like /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ and is really great for catching people off guard.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Dice is weird as heck.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Holy poo poo this guy gets excited, the audio is amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpjTBP3BM74&t=100s

Trochanter fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 13, 2014

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
This game is fantastic and needs more attention.

Bunting: http://gfycat.com/LeadingImpoliteAchillestang

Warning GIANT gif.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Characters

Lethal League has five characters, and each of them have a few differentiating factors. First off each character hits the ball at different angles for their upward and power swings. Like Divekick, a lot of Lethal League is just about learning the different angles to each character. Each character also has a unique movement ability and a special move. Special moves are activated by tapping the swing button a second time when connecting with the ball, except for Latch whose special can only be activated in the air and

that's switch, latch can swallow the ball for a short amount of time.

also, this is p. much the most fun game to play while having a few beers w/ friends since smash bros melee.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

BabelFish posted:

Switch's special move has an interesting use case. If you hit the jump key while in mid-air he'll start the kick flip and automatically re-direct the ball if the board comes in contact with it for the duration of the maneuver.

I've yet to run into someone online who can reliably react to a mid-air possession swap once the ball starts going ludicrous speed.

switch is basically the hard counter to candymans bullshit special :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Only just today did I notice this game finally released. I loved the browser version and used to check the blog religiously, but eventually kinda forgot about it. Holy goddamn poo poo is this game amazing, and I'm sad this thread doesn't see more action. Has there been much word from the devs on ongoing development? New characters, stages, music, etc?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

A new stage and character was released a little while ago, no idea if he's working on more, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This game is on steam sale right now. I haven't picked it up yet since I don't know if my friends will actually play it (due to game fatigue, it definitely seems like a thing they'd enjoy), but other people might be interested.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Been waiting for this game to go on sale and it is just as fun it looks. It's hilarious going from a high speed rally to screwing up at the lowest speed.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
This game is so fuckin rad.

But does anyone have any advice on how to handle Latch? Once he grabs the ball with his hold, he just spits it straight forward and it moves way too fast for me to actually bunt/hit back. Is there some sort of trick to this? I figure Raptor or the Robot could probably hang on a wall, but I play mostly Candyman, and I just get wrecked by it.

In 1v1 Matchmaking, my last 7 games have been against Latch. Goddamn Gators, ruinin everything.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

jsr v2.0 posted:

This game is so fuckin rad.

But does anyone have any advice on how to handle Latch? Once he grabs the ball with his hold, he just spits it straight forward and it moves way too fast for me to actually bunt/hit back. Is there some sort of trick to this? I figure Raptor or the Robot could probably hang on a wall, but I play mostly Candyman, and I just get wrecked by it.

In 1v1 Matchmaking, my last 7 games have been against Latch. Goddamn Gators, ruinin everything.

Latch cannot parry when using his little ball spitting dealy, so if you just stand right in his face and swing at the right moment, he has no counter aside from hoping that it takes long enough for for him to regain control. He spits the ball out when the bars on the bottom of the screen charge all the way, and is stuck for around half a second or so.

Be aware that he can also spit it in a few other directions, and he can also bunt it from instead of shooting it, which is also pretty easy to punish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

The funniest counter to latch is to play switch and use your special to just hover over him when he swallows the ball

• Locked thread