Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

without fail, every time i'm at the park or something, like 80% of people have the seats on their bikes way too low. i'd bet that you do, too. having the seat too low decreases your power output and efficiency significantly - it makes riding harder. it's also more strain on your knees, and less comfortable. to be honest it's baffling that people can't figure this out on their own, but here we are.

there are a few different ways of determining the correct seat height, but basically, your leg should be pretty close to fully extended at the bottom of the stroke.

ignore the crouched over racer stance but look at his legs:

think about it the next time you're going for a bike ride. (heh, gibbis goons going outside for a bike ride.)

you're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i have a padded seat and i don't ride my bike because it makes my taint hurt
also i don't ride because the bike is broken
and im a lazy goon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

A few weeks ago someone asked me when the last time I was on a bike was and I said I must have been about 15 but honestly I was probably 11.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
raise the seat really high so that it goes up your rear end in a top hat and perforates your colon. since you'll be in the ER you won't be on the road while im trying to drive to work

if you dont have health insurance throw your entire bike off your roof. this will most likely prevent it from working correctly and achieving the same goal as above.

note: the health insurance bit is so you dont skip out on your bill and make my taxes go higher

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hey that knee angle doesn't match the yellow line do it over

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Better advice: Buy a loving car.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Get a car or a motorbike you povo

Strict Picnic
Feb 10, 2013

by Ralp
science still hasn't figured out how bikes work. they're like a physical impossibility or something. i'm guessing witchcraft. that's why dogs always freak out when they see one. do your immortal soul a favor and just avoid them altogether.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Curtains: too long.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I drop the seat all the way and push the bars forward so I can pull sick jumps and bunny hops, OP

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
lol yeah hunch over at 90 degree angle for extended periods of time thatll do wonders for your posture IDIOT

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

nice fuckin legs in the op, would

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

you guys joke, but if 3 years from now you hop on a bike and realize the seat is too low, just like that gypsy in gbs prophesied, it will all be worth it

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

oh sweet lemme raise my seat

*blocks traffic until a red light, hops on sidewalk*

namaste

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
take the seat off and sit on the pole for maximum gayness.

whats with the lycra though, are you hoping to lose skin?

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
As long as you don't ride on the street, I don't give a gently caress what your seat looks like. Stay on the sidewalks you weird, poor, bike people.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
bikes are legally vehicles and as the rules of the law indicate you should ride them where the gently caress ever you want

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

SniperWoreConverse posted:

bikes are legally vehicles and as the rules of the law indicate you should ride them where the gently caress ever you want

ive noticed anybody who uses this argument tends to also bitch about how other laws are bullshit. what do you think about marijuana

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's a DEMON WEED form HELL

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Just proving cyclists are the most self-entitled pompous douchebags on the planet.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

So when I hit a bicyclist while doing 20 mph it's just a "fender bender", right? Nothing more than a moving violation, 2 pts and a $60 fine. Same rules, same road.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BigBoss posted:

So when I hit a bicyclist while doing 20 mph it's just a "fender bender", right? Nothing more than a moving violation, 2 pts and a $60 fine. Same rules, same road.

fair's fair dude
also cars can't drive on the sidewalk so neither should bicycles

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i read the the second half of your topic in the voice of the poker legend tony g, as far as bicycles go it seems more expensive and less efficient than mastering human fitness and becoming your own bicycle in all terrain with no lovely factory made parts

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like to put my feet on the ground while seated on the seat and don't care about becoming a lycra-clad human missile/public menace

bike nerds are full of poo poo.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

the lycra unitards are optional but best left to the bike cultists

the optimal seat height, however, is good for everybody, from kids to grandparents to obese goons with asthma

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Hi op. I'm 6'3 and I have to get a stool to get on my bike, is it raised enough?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
get tiny wheels

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Dementedghost posted:

Hi op. I'm 6'3 and I have to get a stool to get on my bike, is it raised enough?

i'm 6'3 too and yes, it is a bit awkward to mount (like your mom) but once you're riding it feels right and good

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
the seat isn't set right until it pushes a bit on your nutbag

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSizePotato posted:

without fail, every time i'm at the park or something, like 80% of people have the seats on their bikes way too low. i'd bet that you do, too. having the seat too low decreases your power output and efficiency significantly - it makes riding harder. it's also more strain on your knees, and less comfortable. to be honest it's baffling that people can't figure this out on their own, but here we are.

there are a few different ways of determining the correct seat height, but basically, your leg should be pretty close to fully extended at the bottom of the stroke.

ignore the crouched over racer stance but look at his legs:

think about it the next time you're going for a bike ride. (heh, gibbis goons going outside for a bike ride.)

you're welcome.

i love it when i see dudes like this try to get off their bikes and walk around, congrats on having the hip mobility of an 80 year old man i guess

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Idiot Kicker posted:

the seat isn't set right until it pushes a bit on your nutbag

my nutbag is really high

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i'm fully extended at the bottom of my stroke :confused:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Another thing you should do is pedal faster, gear down and aim for a steady 90 rpm, thats 3 spins every 2 seconds!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

BULBASAUR posted:

i'm fully extended at the bottom of my stroke :confused:

You've hosed up, that's too high.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Dementedghost posted:

Another thing you should do is pedal faster, gear down and aim for a steady 90 rpm, thats 3 spins every 2 seconds!

No, you gear high so that you feel a lot of strain on your legs, that means you're really working out!

I have my leather Brooks saddle set at the correct height and regularly treat it with Proofide. But thanks anyway for the PSA, op!

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

get a car you retard

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
always assume highest gear, no standing to pedal, items off, final destination

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

BigBoss posted:

As long as you don't ride on the street, I don't give a gently caress what your seat looks like. Stay on the sidewalks you weird, poor, bike people.
Bikes come in real handy when you live in a city with lots of traffic. Get to places faster and cheaper.
You also get more versatility being able to ride on the road, sidewalks, or on off paths.
Lycra wearing bike fetishists are pretty lame though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
sorry not a poor i own a car lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Another cool thing you can do is own a car and a bicycle at the same time! Sometimes, when I lived in the city, I would ride my bike when I felt like it, and drive my car on other occasions! You can even get really crazy and use your car to take your bicycle to new and exciting places! Yeah!

• Locked thread