Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

http://imgur.com/a/0ktSt

At my company we have people that work from home, and we give them a company issued PC to use (with broadband paid for by us too). This user had to be upgraded due to our lease refresh and we contracted through a local computer company to give her new equipment from us and set it up. This guy has worked with us for several years doing installs like this and told us today he is never going back to this woman's house, even if it means we break our contract with him.

Let's set the stage, shall we? He arrived yesterday and immediately the smell hit him - the employee has 12 cats and the smell is evident from even outside the house. There is no central AC and it was 80+ degrees yesterday. The windows are always shut. He walks in and notices cat poo poo everywhere; The lady is walking around in loving BARE FEET. He unpacks one of the monitors (which has to be attached to the stand after you unpack it) and lays the monitor screen down as we're accustomed to. In the minute or so it took for him to get the stand out, a cat came over and pissed all over the monitor, getting piss inside of the vents and ruining it. The lady gently picks up the cat and shoos it away, not even phasing her.

He finally gets everything set up, and had to take breaks every 5 minutes or so due to the burning in his nose and throat. What you see in the pictures is the old machine that was there less than a year, which is when she got sent to work from home. Corrosive ammonia gas does a hell of a thing to metal I guess. That seems to all be from the air circulating through the power supply and fans. Imagine the lady's lungs? And she has a husband and a son.

We told the supervisor the situation today and had to bag up the PC in a biohazard bag. Thank god I'll be drinking this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
:catstare:

Well, since this is the tech support forum... Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Jesus. :stonk: Yeah I'd probably write that off as a loss myself, the hardware itself could be an electrical / fire hazard if parts are being corroded.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

This may be a good time to acquaint yourself with social services. That kind of squalor would get a kid whisked away faster than you can say toxoplasmosis.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is glorious.

Send the pictures and story to The Register. The world needs to see this.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
These cats are living in extremely poor conditions that is harmful to both their health and the family living there. I strongly suggest you and your company contact social and animal services regarding this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A few years ago when I was doing computer repair a person brought in a machine for troubleshooting, and I determined that cat piss was the root cause of failure.

My sense of smell was basically non-existent at that time, and even I could detect that there was something amiss with the machine. Other people with more functional senses of smell requested that I remove the offending machine from the building.

Still, that machine looked practically pristine compared to the horror that you posted pics of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I can smell that thing from here.

I've seen case fans lock up from being so badly caked with the brown/orange sludge formed from years of smoking but the cat ladies were always the worst.

• Locked thread