Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should this card have been canceled?
This poll is closed.
No way the fighters worked and trained too hard 23 27.71%
Yes I am not paying for this 60 72.29%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Yeah, this is all you need to know:

wikipedia on UFC 177 posted:

The event was originally planned to take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, with a Light Heavyweight Championship rematch between the current champion Jon Jones and challenger Alexander Gustafsson targeted as the event headliner. However, that bout was pushed back a month and scheduled to headline UFC 178.

A Bantamweight Championship rematch between current champion T.J. Dillashaw and former champion Renan Barão was expected to headline this show. Their first fight, contested at UFC 173, ended in a fifth round TKO victory for Dillashaw. However, the day of the weigh ins, Barao had to be admitted to the hospital as a result of his attempts to cut weight. Dillashaw will now face UFC newcomer Joe Soto in the main event. Soto's opponent, Anthony Birchak, was removed from the card entirely.

Demetrious Johnson was expected to defend his Flyweight Title against Chris Cariaso in the co-main event. However, on August 12, it was announced that bout would be moved to headline UFC 178 after Jon Jones against Daniel Cormier was delayed due to injury.

As a result of the cancellation of UFC 176, bouts between Danny Castillo vs. Tony Ferguson, Lorenz Larkin vs. Derek Brunson and Bethe Correia vs. Shayna Baszler were rescheduled for this event.

A heavyweight matchup between Ruslan Magomedov and Richard Odoms was official for this event. However, Odoms was forced to withdraw and the match was cancelled.

Justin Edwards was expected to face Yancy Medeiros at the event. However, Edwards pulled out of the event in the days leading up to the event citing an injury and was replaced by newcomer Damon Jackson.

Scott Jorgensen was expected to face Henry Cejudo at the event. However, Cejudo pulled out of the bout on the day of the weigh-in due to complications trying to cut weight.

This card has been so cursed, I have a feeling that it would have been canceled a la 151/176 if Barao had been hurt a week earlier. This is going to cost $44.99 and $54.99 in HD. Despite my personal feelings that the price is totally not warranted, no streams or :files: allowed.

Chat in #mma on synirc.org, someone will post a link to the goonweight thing soon I am sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
~farrrrrrrt~

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
:laffo:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I am going to be watching

i dunno probably a on-demand episode of Shark Tank or something

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I want to go to a buffalo wild wings and act really excited just to confuse them

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Fight Night 50 is UFC 100 compared to this card.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Has Soto ever made Dillashaw cry in the past?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Haahaha I really hosed up that abortion - Dana White, tomorrow.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbG5wexDat4

edit: haha Ramsay Nijem just missed weight by 0.5 lb, this has got to be the most cursed card of all time

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
Is this real life??

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Medeiros and Nijem have missed so far

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

world b lee posted:

Is this real life??

No, this is MMA.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 30, 2014

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i love this, the gayest of sports

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I guess i'll find something else to do tomorrow then :laffo:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

world b lee posted:

Is this real life??

No, this is MMA.
[/url]

Coming in too heavy,
no escape from realityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

No, this is MMA.
[/url]

Coming in too heavy,
no escape from realityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
[/quote]

joe soto dies
too many pies yancyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Don't be scared homie -- TJ Dillashaw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bet this card is going to be sweet or something but I ain't paying money to watch it so I'll never know...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LordPants posted:

I bet this card is going to be sweet or something but I ain't paying money to watch it so I'll never know...

kensei posted:

streams or :files: allowed.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Oh god, please let Joe "One Bad Mofo" Soto win. Anything that lets Joe Warren be a UFC champion via mmath

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

It's gonna be funny seeing the guy challenging for the title doing awkward shadowboxing during the intro highlights because they don't have any footage of him they can show.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
That people are paying money to go yo this makes me feel less bad about being at the ill fated Calgary UFC event.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

NEVER TRUST THE CARDS

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

masato tatanka posted:

NEVER TRUST THE CARDS

But... I was always told to trust in the heart of the cards...

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

It's gonna be funny seeing the guy challenging for the title doing awkward shadowboxing during the intro highlights because they don't have any footage of him they can show.

But like, 15 people at home will ever see that.

I wonder if TJ/Barao 2: The Rematch: Remade will headline that final Brazil card in November.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I know that on other sites they provide all sorts of links to things. I sometimes wonder if SA would be more popular if the NSFW and link forums were allowed here.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
can't wait to see the metro PCS move of the fights: a low 4 digit buyrate

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

bald man shout times turn into bald man on their knees begging you to buy this show. joe needs a new crystal skull bong

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Am I the only one who finds marketing a lopsided beatdown with "Never trust the odds" hilarious? I mean, less so than Dillashaw vs. Soto as a headliner, but still.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

quote:

@arielhelwani: Dana just said to the media that Barao will not get a title shot upon returning.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
I really want to see Dillashaw get his due, but man this whole card has been a fiasco. And even though I didn't think Baroa warranted an immediate rematch, at least there'd be the possibility of another mauling. As it is I think I'll wait til Jones/Cormier before I go in on a PPV.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
This is the first UFC card i'll miss in months and it slips and falls on a pipe harder than Kevin Randleman.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
pro athlete tough guy from the tropics must not be allowed to sweat unsupervised as he may loving die at any time

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

pro athlete tough guy from the tropics must not be allowed to sweat unsupervised as he may loving die at any time

Funny cause it's true

Edit: Everything about this show is entertaining in a way that still isn't worth 50 dollars

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 30, 2014

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

kensei posted:

I know that on other sites they provide all sorts of links to things. I sometimes wonder if SA would be more popular if the NSFW and link forums were allowed here.

Just what I wanna see. Goons talking about titties and illegal poo poo.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

attackmole posted:

Just what I wanna see. Goons talking about titties and illegal poo poo.

agreed

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
renan barao is a MONSTER, he is a DESTROYER, but he needs a responsible adult at all times. if you wanted to design a guy to exploit renan barao's weakness, he would be 12 years old, and thats exactly what tj dillashaw is

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

quote:

@TimKennedyMMA 25m
Is it just me or does "Sick" = probably would've tested positive for PEDs. #UFC177

dang tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
if you leave a house plant unwatered for 48 hours it will be ok. renan barao? *infomercial greyscale hellfog from the universe where it's too hard to use shoes and drawers descends*

• Locked thread