Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
U-10 and Option A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
U-36 and Option A, please.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Sign me up for U-13 and Option A.

Really happy you are doing a Let's Play for this. I have my eye on this game for a long time, but the $100+ price tag has put me off. Looking forward to serving till 1943.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

U-35 and Option A (if it hasn't been taken already, otherwise any remaining VIIB will do).

sureaboutthatthing
Oct 15, 2013
I'd like U-57 and option A.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I volunteer for U-58 and I guess option B. We don't want to be hanging around in port all day during these happy times!

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
Shame Surcouf is on the other side of the war. While there's events and even some options to grab French subs the Surcouf as far as I can tell is excluded. I dug up my box and I am currently reading up on it to remember all the fun options and possibilities. I considered seeing if we could grab surcouf again a priority.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
U-31 and Option A

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Rogue Norwegian posted:

Shame Surcouf is on the other side of the war. While there's events and even some options to grab French subs the Surcouf as far as I can tell is excluded. I dug up my box and I am currently reading up on it to remember all the fun options and possibilities. I considered seeing if we could grab surcouf again a priority.

We can possibly sink it if that is any consolation.

The reasoning behind Surcouf is that historically escaped before the Germans took France.

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011

Xenocides posted:

We can possibly sink it if that is any consolation.

And deny Zombie Napoleon his glory?

I'm torn between "No Never!" and "Rather tempting."

We're grabbing the prototype endgame sub for april 1943 right? An XXI looks awfully tempting. (Optional rule releasing one of the very late war subs early as field testing prototype). At least assuming we get that far without losing all the files or interest or whatever the LP curse choose to target.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Signing up for a Boat

I forgot to update last night but here we are with what is still left:

Available Boats

Type IIB

This is an improvement on the IIA. An increase in submerged speed made it a little more deadly. The only change from the Type A in game is an increase in attack to 2. We have more of these than any other class and we get a few more as we go on. They run from 7 to 24 in the numbering scheme. These were finished in 1935-36. 20 were built and we have 16. I think we get more but I think someone were permanent training boats.

We also have one with a distinguished skipper. These represent historically skilled skippers at the start of the war (and include their name). Others can be created for impressive feats and a few appear automatically when a ship returns from a refit.

U-14

U-15

U-16

U-17

U-18

U-19

U-20

U-21

U-22

U-24

Type VIIA

The first iteration of the workhorse Type VII class that was the primary workhorse of the war. For those who have seen the excellent German movie/miniseries Das Boot that was a Type VII (though it was a Type VIIC). Attack, defense, tactical ability, and range are all improved over the Type II. These are the boats we will use against the French coast and the west coast of the UK because they can go further than the Type II coastal boats. 10 were built (all finished in 1936-37) and we start with all of them. It also has a deck gun which is a big help in the early war.

U-32

U-34

Down to the last few. 2 VIIA and 8 IIB boats left.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Rogue Norwegian posted:

And deny Zombie Napoleon his glory?

I'm torn between "No Never!" and "Rather tempting."

We're grabbing the prototype endgame sub for april 1943 right? An XXI looks awfully tempting. (Optional rule releasing one of the very late war subs early as field testing prototype). At least assuming we get that far without losing all the files or interest or whatever the LP curse choose to target.

Yeah, I may cheat and just throw all of them in at the end to go out in a blaze of glory. The game effect would be minimal but it would be fun.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Stick me into U34 and I also vote A.

I hope this thread will be as good as the US one!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Sign me up for U-32 and option C.

I hope I can claim the first kill again. :getin: I'm also hoping my ship isn't suddenly claimed by Valkyries this time around.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 31, 2014

Nikias
May 6, 2008
Sign me up for U-19 and I vote for option A.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I'm pleased to report my U-26 is quite famous in pulp cinema.

Hatches widened to fit the Ark of the Covenant should make our readiness rating higher, thanks to easier replenishment!

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Sign me up for U-17 and option C

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'll take U-15 along with option B.

Hopefully we can avoid getting rammed this time around

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 31, 2014

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'd like to call dibs on the next available Type IX. If necessary, I'll putz around in a Type II until then.

And Option A, because to hell with His Fatness.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Okay, we are down to just Type IIb boats.

Still out there are:

U-20, U-21, U-22, U-24

Then we can get on with the sinking.

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 1, 2014

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

The Sandman posted:

I'd like to call dibs on the next available Type IX. If necessary, I'll putz around in a Type II until then.

Threw you in a comfy dugout canoe masquerading as a U-boat. These boats will be pulled from service in 1940 (I think) and you can upgrade then.

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Sign me up for U-24 and Option A.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I went to check for errata about something and found out they made an expansion and no one told me. I was excited to see Volume II and be able to play the entire war but that is not what it involves. :(

Ordered it anyways. Not sure if we will integrate. I guess the idea is that once the war started the Germans decided to focus less on the Type VII and instead built a lot more U-cruisers.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
Reporting for duty aboard the U-20, and voting for the not very sinister sounds option A.

This should be fun.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

U-22 and B, please.

Preid
May 22, 2014
Umm... U-33 was already taken.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
I'd Like U-21 please, and a vote for a

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Preid posted:

He meant 22, but it's moot, Jaguars took 22; everything's captained now.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Preid posted:

Yeah, I think I hit 33 instead of 22 on the keypad. Sorry. Fixed.

And we are good to go. Looks like we are going to try to wrest some planes from the Luftwaffe.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

I finished building all the templates, set up the board, and will start running the game tomorrow. As I am doing month long turns it may take a while. I hope to finish tomorrow but if not I will work on it and get the first update out sometime in the coming week. Thanks for your patience. Enjoy not laboring on Labor Day unless you have to labor on Labor Day in which case go on strike or something.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
If there are any boats left, I would like to sign up, otherwise I'll grab the next available boat.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Wikipedia posted:

On 28 October 1940 U-32, under the command of Hans Jenisch, sank the 42,348-ton liner Empress of Britain, which had been previously damaged by German bombs. Empress was the largest ship sunk by a U-boat.[3]

:catstare:

Looks like I have fairly big shoes to fill.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'd like to sign up for a non-Type-II boat once one becomes available.

Also voting Option A, because lolGöring.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

DagPenge posted:

If there are any boats left, I would like to sign up, otherwise I'll grab the next available boat.

Lynneth posted:

I'd like to sign up for a non-Type-II boat once one becomes available.

Also voting Option A, because lolGöring.

We are full. I am not doing a waiting list for this LP. Stay tuned though. After every turn is posted I will post new boats entering service and ask for volunteers.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Just looked up U-9 and discovered she doesn't sink until 1944! And was moderately successful for a Type IIB.

Hopefully some of that good luck can rub off on this U-9.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

U-22's Day in the sun was torpedoing this ship:

HMS Exmouth

Two months later she disappeared without a trace somewhere in the Skagerrak. Everyone on both ships died. U-boot war was vicious as hell :(

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
U-41 sank in 1940 barely doing anything. I sorta took her because that way I have an easy time exceeding expectations. That and because it was one of my big ship killers in my game where I stripped the RN of carrier support by early 1940.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

U-7 was mostly a school boat, sunk two ships, almost seemed like it was going to make it through the war, then sank in 1944 during an exercise malfunction. Clearly, this is the right boat for me. "Alright, slow and steady wins the race, the war is nearly over, we can make it thro- poo poo".

Preid
May 22, 2014
U-33 Lived fast and died young, credited for sinking ten ships on just three patrols, she was scuttled while laying mines off of Scotland in 1940 after being depth charged by a British minesweeper. It is also noted that three enigma rotors were captured from this boat, including two which were only used by the Kriegsmarine and totally unknown to allied intelligence at the time.

So long as I can avoid dieing of minesweeper induced hypothermia early in the war my boat might do better than Hans-Wilhelm von Dresky did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
U-27 was the first submarine to ever sink another sub, the HMS E3, then sank a seaplane carrier, an armed merchant cruiser, and three miscellaneous cargo/passenger ships then was lost with all hands to a q-ship.

I doubt I'll pull of the historic landmark feat, but the rest sounds doable enough.

• Locked thread