Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

demonicon posted:

Germany will most probably try to assume the position of an arbitrator in the upcoming conflict. If you look at the last 200 years we have been mostly very friendly with Russia, being close allies at times and even owing the formation of germany to Alexander's victory over napoleon.

So if there was as third world war to begin, Germany might very well fight on the side of Russia at the end.

Except that time you killed 15 million of them and they partitioned your country for 45 years brutally oppressing about a quarter of the population.

But you are right about Germany betraying Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

demonicon posted:

I wasn't saying I like that.

Also Godwin

I don't think you know what that means.

It is totally relevant in this discussion since WW2 is kind of important in 20th century history which is a lot more relevant in the 21st century than some poo poo that happened 200 years ago.

Even without involving WW2 West Germany was training for nuclear war with Russia for 45 years and East Germany was a Soviet puppet state.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Silvergun1000 posted:

Apparently a lot of extra coal is being imported to Europe due to concerns about this, but I'm not sure if there's enough capacity for the current coal power plants in Europe to make up for it even if enough coal could be delivered. I wonder if this is going to soften attitudes towards fracking / nuclear power.

It really depends on the country. The Netherlands for example is more than self sufficient in gas and has a lot of spare coal capacity, to the point that several coal plants are mothballed (with several new ones under construction :downs: ).
Just one country south Belgium is already looking at possible capacity shortages due to a nuclear plant going down unscheduled. There is not enough capacity on international power lines for the Dutch to make good the Belgian shortfall. Constructing new power lines would take years.

Some countries will be fine, others will be hosed.

E: The UK already gave out permits for widespread fracking,several other European countries are also already pursuing it.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread