Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Zedd posted:

I have no idea how John de Mol keeps selling you guys television shows.
The dutch original of this was godawful and soon you will hate everything about this show.

You're right.
It is awful, boring, full of lies and scripted drama and still on. I still watch it though, because I have bad taste and it's at a time just after dinner when you sit down with a drink before getting to work on whatever needs doing around the house. From what I understand the Americans don't get this "luxury". They get two episodes a week instead of 5 half hour eps a week.

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah it's kind of interesting from that perspective. It strikes me as similar to early Survivor where people still cared about trying to work together to battle the elements/nature/the game. In those seasons they would even elect tribe leaders (who always were useless and in name only). I have a feeling once the novelty of LETS MAKE OUR OWN KINGDOM dissipates it will be a different show.

I wonder if it will end up like Minecraft. The first bit is the hardest but once you have set up your food source etc. it's just boring.

You've nailed all the problems.
Thanks to the people that they selected who know what to do they will reach a point where everything just sort of runs. They reached that point here in about a month or two. They're currently at the month nine. There is no real survival aspect.
They also can't really make a kingdom or a utopian society since, at least here, the people behind the scenes find utopia to be boring so more conflict is added.

At least you have a real religious nut. We only have a homeless guy who is fanatical, convinced he knows best and hates money, but also believes in live and let live so everyone likes him. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Darth TNT posted:

You've nailed all the problems.
Thanks to the people that they selected who know what to do they will reach a point where everything just sort of runs. They reached that point here in about a month or two. They're currently at the month nine. There is no real survival aspect.

Yeah I can see this happening. They're catching fish in the pond stocked with 400 fish and things are already starting to calm down. I'm going to email production that they should create catastrophes or challenges that take stuff away, to make it more fun.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah I can see this happening. They're catching fish in the pond stocked with 400 fish and things are already starting to calm down. I'm going to email production that they should create catastrophes or challenges that take stuff away, to make it more fun.
God drat it would be great if production was way on top of this. Half way through the year people start going missing, the food gets spoilt, animals die.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

The vet Bri and the guitar guy Chris are gonna gently caress at any moment's notice.
Dude was almost full up her shorts into a fingerbang while they delighted by the waterfall.

For all I know it might have happened.
Turns out I was wrong about this. Chris and Bri were down 2 gently caress at first.
Turns out Bri is a major clinger and might as well be called Chris' shadow because she's always there.
Chris has done nothing around the compound except stroke girls' hair, sleep in a hammock and play the guitar. His skillset is glass blowing but he'd need about $500 seed money to get his business going.

The other night productive laboring men were digging trenches and laying down conduit to get the electricity turned on in the compound while Chris sat on his rear end a few feet away and noodled on the guitar about as long as an encore at a Phish concert. Of course, Bri simply sat by his side and bobbed her head like a good band groupie does.

The tipping point to Chris pumping the brakes on getting some nookie from Bri is the fact that while she was in sequester she was known as the village bicycle between her going at it solo and the various members of FOX production all breaking a piece off in her.

Now, Bri continues her desperate Chris cling campaign especially at night when she's crawling all over him and he simply rolls over on his stomach and Bri practically nuru massages him until she grows tired and goes to sleep.

With the Bri/Chris Bangwatch on timeout or outright bust, Lawyer Guy (Mike) and Polyamourous Dedeker are getting closer and are front runners to pop the first Utopia sex cherry. Dedeker has been going about it slow and steady and just about has Mike completely snared. The thing with Dedeker is the Poly part so the question is who does she lure in next with her sex siren song, another man or a woman?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I can only see the evening feeds so today they used their newly charged cordless phone that can only dial like 7 specific numbers. They now have electricity and phoned for their first food delivery.

Hillbilly Red and Prison Dave squabbled about how funds were distributed because both feel they should be able to control their own equal percentage of the $5,ooo seed money however they wish versus a collective. Red and Dave loaded up on ramen noodles while the bulk spend went for beans and rice staples. Chef Aaron dictated that move since he is a food Nazi.

Red and Dave went and buried/hid their ramen somewhere because they are crazy and in it for themselves. Dave and Red stomped on a bunch of other assorted canned goods (pineapples) to show their disdain for how "their" money is being spent wastefully on things they never intend to use themselves. It's been a broken record argument between Red and Dave v. everyone else for days.

Bella is still crazy and is now trying to get clingy on Josh, the guy they almost evicted on Day 1 because he got sloshy drunk. Everyone has figured out she is imbalanced and are ready to create their own gardens simply because Bella has kooky ideas and demands to get her's started.

Lawyer Guy Mike and Polyamourous Dedeker are still on the clock for first Utopia gently caress and are getting even cozier as the days roll by.

But the most fascinating thing tonight was watching a 4 point buck casually munch on all of the grass and plants and seeds in Bella's garden without a care in the world. Little does lil dude know that hunting season is a green light on Saturday (9/6) and Vex has a California deer hunting bag license and a compound bow.

He hopped majestically over a wooden fence to sweet freedom but he'll be back at some point and he's gonna get an arrow to the knee. Once a deer is plugged the animal lovers like Crazy Bella are going to fly off of the handle... instant drama. UTOPIA!

tl;dr - The deer munching on grass was more interesting than the Derr(ick) running the BB house.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Robnoxious posted:

I can only see the evening feeds so today they used their newly charged cordless phone that can only dial like 7 specific numbers. They now have electricity and phoned for their first food delivery.

Hillbilly Red and Prison Dave squabbled about how funds were distributed because both feel they should be able to control their own equal percentage of the $5,ooo seed money however they wish versus a collective. Red and Dave loaded up on ramen noodles while the bulk spend went for beans and rice staples. Chef Aaron dictated that move since he is a food Nazi.

Red and Dave went and buried/hid their ramen somewhere because they are crazy and in it for themselves. Dave and Red stomped on a bunch of other assorted canned goods (pineapples) to show their disdain for how "their" money is being spent wastefully on things they never intend to use themselves. It's been a broken record argument between Red and Dave v. everyone else for days.

Bella is still crazy and is now trying to get clingy on Josh, the guy they almost evicted on Day 1 because he got sloshy drunk. Everyone has figured out she is imbalanced and are ready to create their own gardens simply because Bella has kooky ideas and demands to get her's started.

Lawyer Guy Mike and Polyamourous Dedeker are still on the clock for first Utopia gently caress and are getting even cozier as the days roll by.

But the most fascinating thing tonight was watching a 4 point buck casually munch on all of the grass and plants and seeds in Bella's garden without a care in the world. Little does lil dude know that hunting season is a green light on Saturday (9/6) and Vex has a California deer hunting bag license and a compound bow.

He hopped majestically over a wooden fence to sweet freedom but he'll be back at some point and he's gonna get an arrow to the knee. Once a deer is plugged the animal lovers like Crazy Bella are going to fly off of the handle... instant drama. UTOPIA!

tl;dr - The deer munching on grass was more interesting than the Derr(ick) running the BB house.

PETA is going to go loving nuts when someone kills a deer on TV, I honestly can't wait for this.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

sbaldrick posted:

PETA is going to go loving nuts when someone kills a deer on TV, I honestly can't wait for this.

And they will act as if no show had ever killed an animal on TV before.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
So two new people are coming into the game on the feeds. According to twitter it's happening in the next couple hours.

This is because one person was missing from the 15 when it started due to breaking the rules. So of these two people they can only keep one and have to pick between them.

This should shake up the ant farm today.

Also Red and Dave have been campaigning constantly to start a separatist group. They've separated their money and used it to buy food like hot dogs and hamburgers and try to bribe the others with them to their side. It's hilarious. They are Murica as it gets.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Spiky Ooze posted:

So two new people are coming into the game on the feeds. According to twitter it's happening in the next couple hours.

This is because one person was missing from the 15 when it started due to breaking the rules. So of these two people they can only keep one and have to pick between them.

This should shake up the ant farm today.

Also Red and Dave have been campaigning constantly to start a separatist group. They've separated their money and used it to buy food like hot dogs and hamburgers and try to bribe the others with them to their side. It's hilarious. They are Murica as it gets.

What's the over/under on how long this trainwreak last, I have 3 episodes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

sbaldrick posted:

It's easier to measure in actual days or weeks, since the show could conceivably end, but have enough footage for another episode or two, or, in reverse, have the televised show be cancelled but still pull in enough revenue online to keep it running for some additional time.

Either way I would say about 2 months tops. Survivor is over in like 40 days, and Big Brother is just about 3 months. I doubt these people can take more than that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Either way I would say about 2 months tops. Survivor is over in like 40 days, and Big Brother is just about 3 months. I doubt these people can take more than that.

How long did/has the original Utopia run for?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

It'll last at least through football season.
FOX will concede that NBC's SNF will dominate the ratings on Sunday night.

The thing is, FOX put up $50mil for the broadcast rights and the concept.
That's a lot of cheddar to eat on a bust.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Robnoxious posted:

It'll last at least through football season.
FOX will concede that NBC's SNF will dominate the ratings on Sunday night.

The thing is, FOX put up $50mil for the broadcast rights and the concept.
That's a lot of cheddar to eat on a bust.

They paid 50mil for this, then I better get a whole bunch of PETA crap when the kill and skin a deer on the live feeds.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

How long did/has the original Utopia run for?

Original Utopia is currently at 9 months. It should end on the 31st of December as it started on the first of January.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Dave (the ex con) just lost his mind screaming at the pregnant woman over stolen bananas. Red told her she could have some and pay them back later or something.

Sounds like Dave's self-evicting now. It would be easy to just let him though because they just brought in two people for the other thing. And because he's probably fairly dangerous. He still talks and acts like he's living inside a jail.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
They put the first five minutes of tonight's episode on YouTube. Spoilers, obviously. http://youtu.be/ImWaJAc-AL8

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
The host guy is a cartoonist who does the strip called Bizzaro, haha.

The Utopia premiere is TONIGHT at 8 pm EST on Fox.

Anyway if you haven't seen any feeds this show is going to be full of surprises.

At this point I don't see enough comments on this particular forum to make another thread though so I'm not going to. (Reality TV-centric forums are way more into this show.) If anyone disagrees and thinks it would be worthwhile to make a spoiler free thread, you're welcome to, and I'll put the spoiler label on this one.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected
Ooh drama. Questioning the amount of bibles going into the crate. Ugh

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I love hatewatching dumb shows so I've been really looking forward to this. I won't be doing live feeds (video rarely works on my computer) but I will be reading updates.

15 minutes in and I think the only person I like is the chili farmer, but he also hasn't said anything yet so.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
this is so silly

e: "I want to structure Utopia like an ant farm"

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Red meditating owns

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Ex-Convict Dave is the best character in this dumb gay cool show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They took Big Brother to its logical point and just cast 15 assholes.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Reading through the thread - if they put this much effort into setting up hidden cameras and having no cameramen, etc. why the gently caress are they intervening so much? Other than to help the animals, they need to just let everyone do what they want. If people want to self evict, make them walk into the woods until they find society or something, it's not that far away.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Trainwreck appointment television...

It only gets worse from here folks.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
These people are going to all kill each other.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

^^^ Red with the compound bow near the lake...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SteveVizsla posted:

Reading through the thread - if they put this much effort into setting up hidden cameras and having no cameramen, etc. why the gently caress are they intervening so much? Other than to help the animals, they need to just let everyone do what they want. If people want to self evict, make them walk into the woods until they find society or something, it's not that far away.

Fox/the production company would be legally liable for anything that happens to them. Any agreements they signed wouldn't hold up in court if something serious happened.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Well yeah but that's no fun.

Has the Pastor never seen a reality show ever? Every single one has been mostly 20-something sexy people looking for fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I kind of hope they all die.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
What the other contestants don't know is that Josh sustained a very severe concussion

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Josh is going to get put in a shallow grave

Spell
Nov 20, 2000

Eat your vegetables or you'll DIE!
If Hex is 6 feet tall, how tall is the drunk contractor?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Joseph fu*bleep for 10 seconds*ed Mary

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Haha wait, that was the first night?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I hate this host

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How long did it take Big Brother to learn not to give people both booze and knives again?

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I hate this host

Ditto. Waiting for him to say "M'lady"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Duey posted:

Ditto. Waiting for him to say "M'lady"

I am waiting for him to start negging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
this is easily one of the worst things i've ever watched, and i watch lots of reality singing competitions and lifetime movies

• Locked thread