Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The pastor broke his thumb a few days ago and is having surgery on it. They said it will require 6-8 weeks of recovery time and for obvious sanitary reasons they don't want him recovering at Utopia. He may or may not return after the thumb is healed. He left on good terms with everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
So besides the monthly new utopian, do they plan on throwing more people in whenever someone self evicts/ is thrown out/ is murdered in their sleep by Red? Because at the rate they're going it is just going to be Bella, the pregnant lady's baby and the chicken tractor after a few weeks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So I just watched and dear god almighty, all of these people are insane. Even the ones who don't appear to be completely stupid or crazy don't seem to have any kind of conflict resolution skills or coping mechanisms. Aaron seemed like the most together guy there for awhile and then he just lost his poo poo on Red. Unless dealing with Red just brings that out in everyone. Its bizarre how quick to anger they seem but maybe that's just an editing thing where realistically we just don't see on the show how they spent hours talking to a wall before they got mad.

It also strikes me how no one seems to even really try to reason with Dave but they try with Red, especially Aaron. Its like Aaron thinks if he just explains it right to Red and shows him respect than it might get through but Dave is a hopeless case who just riles Red's worst traits up.

asylum years posted:

It seems like the very first thing you'd want to do is to put some systems in place, like this is how we make decisions or here's some guidelines for how we can have a conversation without screaming over each other. That they can't even do that much is not a good sign at all.

I thought that's what Aaron was going on about with his whole "democracy" rant. It seemed like he recognized the trial as a kangaroo court and that the answer to that is to actually establish some order and rules instead of just winging it, and since they were already pretty much running a democracy they should just hash out the details and get their poo poo together.

But he, like every other person on this show, seemed unable to convey that thought without getting pissed off so it went nowhere. And they're all nut and half of them are apparently separatists, libertarians, preppers, or otherwise "off the grid" folk so there's no hope of getting them on board.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 10, 2014

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
Right. They come close often to making a useful rule or two, but then they get distracted because someone's screaming or someone's literally crying that there are naked breasts sort of nearby and so the circus continues.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Yesterday's rating and overall viewers contracted more than 50% to a 0.9 - Friday's rating won't really tell us anything but next Tuesday's absolutely will. For as much money as this is costing Fox there's no way they're happy with those numbers. I'm not saying it'll be yanked from the schedule right away, but no way does it make it a year.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
With ratings like that, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull it and make it online only.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Yesterday's rating and overall viewers contracted more than 50% to a 0.9 - Friday's rating won't really tell us anything but next Tuesday's absolutely will. For as much money as this is costing Fox there's no way they're happy with those numbers. I'm not saying it'll be yanked from the schedule right away, but no way does it make it a year.

They aren't happy, but I'm hopeful for the show that Fox gives the show a bit of time to find an audience. It's a format that has a bit of a learning curve (The AV Club knocked it for lacking confessional interviews, but I think it's refreshing as hell not to have people on the show giving canned bites about the thing we are currently watching them do). If I had to guess, I'd say the show has until December to right the ship or not.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
poo poo, I might have been right about my episode count.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
So apparently the average American reality TV fan is not self-aware enough to appreciate the sweet ironies of this show. Not all that surprised.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Big Brother needs to get out of the way and finish and then it's possible Utopia could glean some more eyeballs from there.
There will be people that will still want to scratch that itch when BB goes away and Utopia mostly fits that bill.

BB got a 2.3 overnight rating last night so there are still people watching these types of shows.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Another thing to keep in mind is that this show as a lead-in to their Tuesday night comedies is absolutely toxic, and that's exactly what's going to happen next week.

AKA Driver posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say the show has until December to right the ship or not.

October would be optimistic at best tbh

Brocktoon posted:

With ratings like that, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull it and make it online only.

The last time they did that was for "I Wanna Marry Harry" which premiered to a 0.7 and flatlined at a 0.4 - and that was during the summer. IWMH also didn't cost them nearly as much to produce and had a limited run by design. That said, having the show continue online when they could cut their losses would be extremely goofy on their part.

Robnoxious posted:

There will be people that will still want to scratch that itch when BB goes away and Utopia mostly fits that bill.

The Voice and NCIS also aren't airing yet so it doesn't have the competition it's going to have in the Fall season proper.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I hate all reality shows but I actually really enjoyed this (at least one episode, let's see how the rest goes). It doesn't seem as formulated as the others, as putridly treacly, as manipulative. Its like the producers went here be some idiots. Watch them devolve.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
This show should never end.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I actually kind of appreciate that there aren't staged interviews or anything like that, and that so far all the conflict seems to be from bringing a ton of crazy strangers together.

Seriously, a lot of these people seem to have anger management problems / poor coping skills. I know I'm personally rather weak-willed and I'd be breaking down (probably crying) from being in a stressful situation like that myself, but then again I wouldn't put myself on a show like this. But these people just flip out at the drop of a hat like toddlers throwing a tantrum. It's kind of surprising how many of them are so selfish, too. Like yeah, in my personal utopia I'd get everything I want when I want it, or whatever, but this isn't just any one person's 'utopia' -- it's a communal experiment, so you're going to have to learn to work with the team. But people are all like "well I don't want it, why should anyone else get what I don't want!"

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The ramen soup meltdown was unbelievable. Especially when red joined in by stomping on the canned fruit.

Who'd have thought that two homeless guys would be at odds with society?

P.S. How are you guys watching the stream?

Fooz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 10, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Fooz posted:

P.S. How are you guys watching the stream?
Two of the 4 streams are free on the utopiatv.com website.
Sign up for a Free Passport and the 5 minute timelock on the streams are lifted.

The other 2 streams are $5.oo/mo but there are ways around that if you know where to look.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

STAC Goat posted:

So I just watched and dear god almighty, all of these people are insane. Even the ones who don't appear to be completely stupid or crazy don't seem to have any kind of conflict resolution skills or coping mechanisms. Aaron seemed like the most together guy there for awhile and then he just lost his poo poo on Red. Unless dealing with Red just brings that out in everyone. Its bizarre how quick to anger they seem but maybe that's just an editing thing where realistically we just don't see on the show how they spent hours talking to a wall before they got mad.

It also strikes me how no one seems to even really try to reason with Dave but they try with Red, especially Aaron. Its like Aaron thinks if he just explains it right to Red and shows him respect than it might get through but Dave is a hopeless case who just riles Red's worst traits up.

I think a lot of that stems back to the first day. Red was really reasonable at first and got along with everyone. Dave immediately started flying off the handle about the dumbest things without trying to listen to everyone. First impressions are a big deal.

I'm glad they don't have confessionals, those always seem to have a big impact on how cast members interact with others. They do enough shouting and talking on their own. What would Chris even talk about? Has that boy never seen a reality show? There are ALWAYS cameras to catch you having sex, they know at some point people are going to sneak off to the hay loft to bang or scheme. This is the channel that brought the world Paradise Hotel.

Did they provide condoms to the society, or did anyone bring them?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SteveVizsla posted:

Did they provide condoms to the society, or did anyone bring them?
I don't think anyone brought and condoms.
The other night Bri was asking production for birth control.

If none of those women brought along any birth control the guys should best stay away because each of them expect Preggers Amanda is fertile as gently caress.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I thought they weren't allowed to bring people into the compound? Are they talking about doing tour groups through the compound as a way to make money?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I thought they weren't allowed to bring people into the compound? Are they talking about doing tour groups through the compound as a way to make money?

Nah, they can. Lefty the farmer was there for an hour yesterday giving them tips on stuff, and delivery people/nurses/dentists have come in.

It's one of the interesting quirks about it is it's fairly open-ended as far as rules.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

There's a guy there now discussing putting in an irrigation system for their crops.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Robnoxious posted:

I don't think anyone brought and condoms.
The other night Bri was asking production for birth control.

If none of those women brought along any birth control the guys should best stay away because each of them expect Preggers Amanda is fertile as gently caress.

Dumbass, if she hasn't taken it for a few days it isn't going to work now. I hope the show lasts a year just so we can watch her be pregnant by next month and then go through the whole pregnancy, all while Chris freaks out.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The guitar guy brought a jar of condoms, he said it on the stream.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
So, he's probably running out by now?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Wow the stream is great but i'm embarrassed to say that. Everyone's 100x more likeable when you see it, or maybe I've just seen happy bits.

Red's gonna brew so much booze

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Fooz posted:

Wow the stream is great but i'm embarrassed to say that. Everyone's 100x more likeable when you see it, or maybe I've just seen happy bits.

People get into arguments intermittently but mostly everyone looks less crazy because things aren't condensed and edited. UtopiaMadness.com, that site people were mentioning earlier, seems to do a decent job chronicling each day's major events and the occasional blowups.

quote:

Red's gonna brew so much booze

Red was talking about how he grows weed earlier and claimed he had a reality show about it. I pray this is somehow true.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 11, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hcreight posted:

People get into arguments intermittently but mostly everyone looks less crazy because things aren't condensed and edited. UtopiaMadness.com, that site people were mentioning earlier, seems to do a decent job chronicling each day's major events and the occasional blowups.

Red was talking about how he grows weed earlier and claimed he had a reality show about it. I pray this is somehow true.

It is but I forget the channel, someone linked it earlier n this thread

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I'm not surprised at the hot tempered beginnings, they were living on a strict caloric diet leading to low blood sugar and flaring tempers. They also are probably spending more time outside in the heat than the majority of them are used to. With literally very few ways to cool off it's no surprise that things escalate the way they have.

Americans are used to their creature comforts, and few want to make more compromises to the few things they have.

I haven't watched a reality show in a long time, but the live stream and listening to Red babble to himself at 5:30 in the morning while gumming on oatmeal/PB mash was pretty great.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Holy poo poo, Red and Dave anger stomping on cans is the greatest.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

So is this technically a commune?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I just watched the first two episodes of this crazy stupid show. I am pretty sure they are just acting out a Lets Play of The Sims.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/the-blue-grass-boys/videos/chasing-the-weed-growers.htm

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

sleepingbuddha posted:

Holy poo poo, Red and Dave anger stomping on cans is the greatest.

I love how enraged Dave got when someone mentioned Radishes, like that was the straw that broke the camels back

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Also, Dave's reasoning for needing Ramen Soup "We need the flavor packets to season our food"

Dave is great

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

JakeP posted:

I love how enraged Dave got when someone mentioned Radishes, like that was the straw that broke the camels back

I'm pretty sure he didn't know the difference between radishes and horseradish, which makes it all the more funny.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Illuen posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't know the difference between radishes and horseradish, which makes it all the more funny.

Yep lol

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

There's a new guy on the stream to replace Dave.

He brought a big hunk of ribeye with him in his crate and a bunch of them cheered when they saw it. :lol:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

hcreight posted:

There's a new guy on the stream to replace Dave.

He brought a big hunk of ribeye with him in his crate and a bunch of them cheered when they saw it. :lol:

I would, too. :allears:

I think I know what I'm cooking for myself tomorrow night when my girlfriend is out of town.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

hcreight posted:

to replace Dave.

gently caress shows over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but a friend of mine was saying how one contestant was kicked off or something before this even started for trying to bring a cellphone to "look up other contestants on the internet" or some such. True story or no?

• Locked thread