Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Every time I get Chinese takeout lately it just keeps getting worse, and it's from different establishments, too.

It's not even consistent dishes anymore. Like, one time, my wife ordered beef with broccoli and I got cashew chicken. It was just chicken in the same broccoli and sauce that my wife's beef came in. There weren't even any cashews!

Just yesterday, we went to a different place and we got shrimp with lobster sauce. It was served in the large soup container and was the consistency of soup. Come on.

Also, egg rolls. Egg rolls used to look like this:

(ok not that fancy, but size wise)

and now every single goddamn place is charging a loving BUCK FIFTY for ONE of these things:

I even order interesting things off the menu like Mei Fun and whatever else and it's still all poo poo. I'm getting sick of this, locally owned American Chinese non-chain restaurants. Real sick of it.

P.S. don't even get me loving STARTED on the hot and sour soup situation GODDAMN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Cook your own food pussy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i only like general tso's

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
No joke most places buy their egg rolls from bulk resellers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
TBH it's all about Thai food and Indian now.
Thai is the new chinese food for most americans for something "exotic" but not really; and Indian is the new thai food when they want something "alternatively exotic"

so most chinese places are trying to cut as much costs as possible to compete and it's mostly just dingy as gently caress shady places that actually don't have good food but caters to 60 year old chinese couples that don't venture out. no one i know ever goes "oh yay lets go out for chinese food!" nowadays--it's always thai/vietnamese/indian/ramen

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 30, 2014

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sysco has bitchin' deals on frozen spring rolls these days. And yeah, Thai food is where it's at now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Actually I noticed the same thing op

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

American Chinese food is absolutely disgusting and I won't eat it anymore. I use to eat it all the time when growing up, but now it's just, ehhhhh. No thanks. And its expensive as poo poo for what is basically the equivalent of eating trash out of a dumpster or any fast food place.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I said come in! posted:

American Chinese food is absolutely disgusting and I won't eat it anymore. I use to eat it all the time when growing up, but now it's just, ehhhhh. No thanks. And its expensive as poo poo for what is basically the equivalent of eating trash out of a dumpster or any fast food place.

all food is dumpster trash

the only way you get real food is to only eat the things you grow and kill yourself

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
What are you talking about Singapore noodles own

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Cook your own food pussy.

I actually cook 90% or so of the meals we eat. Sometimes I like to get take out and watch a baseball game or something, sue me.

Smoking Crow posted:

i only like general tso's

whoa, new av?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

I said come in! posted:

Yea pretty much. I had some in Chinatown a couple weeks ago so it was 'authentic' and it was pretty decent but i was just thinking i'd rather have something else for the same price. Chinese takeout was really popular in the 80s and 90s so most of us prolly grew up with white parents that would buy broccoli beef, orange/sesamme/tsao chicken, etc but most of us (including our parents) moved on to better stuff with a broader range of flavors but still plattable to our lovely american tongues (like pad thai, chicken tikka masala, etc)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Big Beef City posted:

whoa, new av?

ive had it for a month

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al Cowens posted:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Al Cowens posted:

They are SUPPOSED to own. My problem with this is that lovely chinese places are making them not own by loving them up so goddamn bad. I love 'em when they're done right.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I was goign to say something but then I realized I haven't gotten chinese takeout in years and the only really good chinese restaurant within miles closed down years ago

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

ive had it for a month

lmao I thought you were Crow Jane, my bad. I don't even know who the gently caress you are. I'm sorry.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

actually the last good chinese food I had was from a japanese restaurant which is pretty lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My friend keeps trying to get us to drive like 60 goddamn miles out to this little podunk town because there's a thai place there that he basically breaks down in tears over, and google reviews back it up, but every time I think of doing it I pussy out because we've got like 3 thai places and couple killer indian places here even in my shithole city that own pretty good.

Kinda wanna make that drive though because he's religious about it.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
i'm permanently tired of all chinese food except shrimp toast. i could never hate shrimp toast

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Egg Foo Young is the poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i'll see your chinese food and raise you:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Singapore chow mei fun?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Xaris posted:

i'll see your chinese food and raise you:

Thai is really good too I love it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Shut the gently caress up about thai food everyone knows thai food owns and you were the first person who ever ate it and know it inside and out and you wrap thick rice noodles around your dick and turn it into a mummy before dipping it in boiling hot pho (with tendon) and only you can order "just make it as hot as you'd eat it" from the guy because it's you. You're the one who knows a thing and no one else can appreciate it forever like you can.

This thread is about lovely chinese take out, now get the gently caress out.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Raptor1033 posted:

Singapore chow mei fun?

Is the business. My favorite place for it is Chinese (I think) owned but the actual cooking seems to be down by people of Central American descent.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

best chinese is schizishwan or however those spicy bastards spell it.

mapaul tofu and double fried pork belly with capsicum please right the gently caress now.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

fuckin love indian food goddamn

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

best chinese is schizishwan or however those spicy bastards spell it.

mapaul tofu and double fried pork belly with capsicum please right the gently caress now.
yeah the restaurant that was near me that closed down a few years ago was szechuan. i miss it so much :qq:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

THS posted:

fuckin love indian food goddamn

Me too! All those corn, bean, and squash combinations! Mmm Mmm! The Three Sisters, I call 'em. I love injun food too!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Me too! All those corn, bean, and squash combinations! Mmm Mmm! The Three Sisters, I call 'em. I love injun food too!
buffalo stewed with chokecherries on frybread.... mmm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Big Beef City posted:

Shut the gently caress up about thai food everyone knows thai food owns and you were the first person who ever ate it and know it inside and out and you wrap thick rice noodles around your dick and turn it into a mummy before dipping it in boiling hot pho (with tendon) and only you can order "just make it as hot as you'd eat it" from the guy because it's you. You're the one who knows a thing and no one else can appreciate it forever like you can.

This thread is about lovely chinese take out, now get the gently caress out.

have you... heard.. about chicken tikka masala? its the best kept secret. but yea everyone knows it owns, just saying thats why chinese food has gotten really shity. no one eats it anymore because they've move on to things that arent' just grease and noodles

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Can I ask a question?

I like Szechuan dishes. When I order them, I pronounce it "Shesh-wan" is that even close to what I should be saying? I guess I kinda put a really soft (eh) in there like "Shesh-(eh)wan", but it's barely distinguishable.

Is that anyway near right? DOes literally anyone on earth know this?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Xaris posted:

have you... heard.. about chicken tikka masala? its the best kept secret. but yea everyone knows it owns, just saying thats why chinese food has gotten really shity. no one eats it anymore because they've move on to things that arent' just grease and noodles

That's stupid though, I mean it's not like McDonalds looks out and sees Burger King has better chicken nuggets and just says "Well gently caress this" and starts making them from cardboard.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've never known a place that makes bad duck, so just eat duck all the time OP.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Can I ask a question?

I like Szechuan dishes. When I order them, I pronounce it "Shesh-wan" is that even close to what I should be saying? I guess I kinda put a really soft (eh) in there like "Shesh-(eh)wan", but it's barely distinguishable.

Is that anyway near right? DOes literally anyone on earth know this?
it's two syllables and the fitrst one sounds like a sneering Australian saying "sir" and the second is pretty much just "chwan," try to think of someone saying "don't you wanna" fast and pick out that middle part

e: sorry that my explanation is obtuse but it's really hard to find analogues :qq:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 30, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Big Beef City posted:

That's stupid though, I mean it's not like McDonalds looks out and sees Burger King has better chicken nuggets and just says "Well gently caress this" and starts making them from cardboard.

i think part of is nostalgia--if you tried the same dish you had long ago, it was probably pretty bad compared to other things you've since ate. you just have a more expanded palette now. another part is that these aren't mega chains exactly, they're usually a small mom n pop shop that either said gently caress it and just caters to the same 60 year ye olde couples that come in. it's probably a lot cheaper to buy a lot of frozen product from some distributor to compete instead of having a lot of produce and everything else on hand that will just spoil to make things like springrolls and such since it's not a lot of turnover

most of the places that are still around have been in business for like 30 years and have cheap rear end rent or own the place with a small dedicated customerbase that doesn't give a gently caress either. mostly places are on the way out and i havent seen a new chinese place open up in years.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 30, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

a hole-y ghost posted:

it's two syllables and the fitrst one sounds like a sneering Australian saying "sir" and the second is pretty much just "chwan," try to think of someone saying "don't you wanna" fast and pick out that middle part

e: sorry that my explanation is obtuse but it's really hard to find analogues :qq:

Why is it anglicized as 'Sz' then rather than 'Sr'

Like Sriracha, I get that, it's a sharp "suree" sound, so if I say "suree""chwan", that's correct? Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

Why is it anglicized as 'Sz' then rather than 'Sr'
i have no idea. the alternate way of spelling it is Sichuan. it's like some Hungarian came in to spell it for us or something

and no there's no real "r" sound in it

e: yeah sorry for the confusion I said that because the "i" in sichuan sounds like the "i" in the way australians say sir. I couldn't really think of any other examples of that sound in english

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 30, 2014

• Locked thread