Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The quality of Chinese food in my area has been on the rise so maybe it's like a balance thing & because our Chinese food is getting better it has to get worse somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

those crispy noodles w a lil of everythin are still p good imo

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Clockwerk posted:

One of the two places we would get chinese food from was ran by an old asian man with a chin mole that had 2 hairs protruding down past his chest. The food owned, the hair owned, I'm sad that place is gone now.

That place had to be legit because that is some old school Chinese superstition. It's supposed to be good luck not to cut those mole hairs.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
We have a Cantonese style restaurant that sells a small selection of half assed New York style dishes but is local famous for their Cantonese dishes. Only it's incredibly hard to guess what is going to taste good & what is going to taste terrible like there's no in between it's either delicious or traumatic and all the menu items are roughly translated with vague names & if the only person who speaks English isn't working that night you should never try something new. Also, if you dine in you have to look at deli cases full of pig heads.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Just go to Panda Express...it's better than a lot of the chinese restaurants I've been to, and it's sure as hell gonna be consistent

Panda express is garbage food for garbage people. Do not eat there, unless you're a fat midwesterner with no proper sense of taste.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

i really like water chestnuts and idk if that's "allowed" or not. it just seems that they're good at soaking up whatever background flavors are present and gathering it in a delicious crispy puck of what i assume is starch. They're really good and make me happy.
them are good

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

BLARGHLE posted:

Panda express is garbage food for garbage people. Do not eat there, unless you're a fat midwesterner with no proper sense of taste.

the other guy is right, it's better than most local chinese places

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Out of the three local chinese places in my area, one got closed on a health violation over a year ago and never opened back up, one has changed its name 3 times in the past 3 years and has now reinvented itself as a bad sushi place, while the third has changed its name only once recently but just sucks. Also if you get there at 3:01 for the lunch special, no dice. I stopped eating chinese a little while ago.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
If you don't have dim sum where you are you're missing out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Secks Cauldron posted:

I would kill for some American Chinese food - chicken chow mein, wonton soup, good eggrolls. All I've had in the past several years has been Thai and Japanese and I'm really sick of those.

i occasionally get some cravings for a good greasy noodly chowmein and wonton soup because yea, pad * dishes and curries get olde, but then i get them and i'm always disapointed so :shrug:

SD87
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

the other guy is right, it's better than most local chinese places

Pretty much this. It's all the same anyways but at least with panda you know it is a chain restaurant and they have to care about sanitation rules. Chinese people really don't give a poo poo about leaving food out all day and other things like that. Funny thing though I have been working in a chinese restaurant far too long and have never gotten sick from any of the food maybe my body is used to it idk.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
korean food is loving hard times please recommend dishes other than kimchi soup and that thing where you cook your own loving bacon in a restaurant

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Bobcats posted:

korean food is loving hard times please recommend dishes other than kimchi soup and that thing where you cook your own loving bacon in a restaurant
dolsot bibimbap can be really good

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i love me some big ol eggrolls

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

actually the last good chinese food I had was from a japanese restaurant

which was prolly owned by a korean

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Maybe OP its because you live in a lovely part of the US where Applebees is the de-facto bar/resturant/town hall.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Timid posted:

which was prolly owned by a korean
as far as I could tell it was all white people working there

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

a hole-y ghost posted:

as far as I could tell it was all white people working there

was everything served with a side of mayo?

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
the only time I get chinese is for breakfast. the Chinese cruller with hot sweet soy milk is the poo poo

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
my family has owned a Chinese restaurant for about 20 years now and i can honestly say the majority of the clientele care more about stuffing their faces with as much food :10bux: can buy than taste. A lot of places would rather cater to that bunch because it means less work and more profit. A bunch of new Chinese places sprung up around us and the majority of them either cook their food ahead of time and place it in a steam table where it sits all day and/or use really poor quality food. I found out the owner of one place nearby will buy almost-spoiled vegetables at a discount price to put in fried rice.

Restaurants that use fresh good-quality ingredients and make everything to order definitely have to charge more, which causes incessant bitching in 50% of the customers, who will likely then travel down the road to the lovely buffet place. My family's restaurant still hand-makes everything like spring rolls and wontons and such, but really it doesn't seem to be worth the effort and extra work if half of the customers don't give a poo poo. So it's not surprising more and more places are willing to sacrifice quality just to stay in business.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jake Snake posted:

my family has owned a Chinese restaurant for about 20 years now and i can honestly say the majority of the clientele care more about stuffing their faces with as much food :10bux: can buy than taste. A lot of places would rather cater to that bunch because it means less work and more profit. A bunch of new Chinese places sprung up around us and the majority of them either cook their food ahead of time and place it in a steam table where it sits all day and/or use really poor quality food. I found out the owner of one place nearby will buy almost-spoiled vegetables at a discount price to put in fried rice.

Restaurants that use fresh good-quality ingredients and make everything to order definitely have to charge more, which causes incessant bitching in 50% of the customers, who will likely then travel down the road to the lovely buffet place. My family's restaurant still hand-makes everything like spring rolls and wontons and such, but really it doesn't seem to be worth the effort and extra work if half of the customers don't give a poo poo. So it's not surprising more and more places are willing to sacrifice quality just to stay in business.

God bless capitalism

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jake Snake posted:

A bunch of new Chinese places sprung up around us and the majority of them either cook their food ahead of time and place it in a steam table where it sits all day and/or use really poor quality food.

yeah buffets are like owning a mint

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
America has Chinese food? Weird to think of people eating Chinese food with their hands.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm a weirdo vegetarian and chinese places never have anything decent that's not vegetarian and they're the only asian food restaurant where that applies, that's my chinese food story

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm a weirdo vegetarian and chinese places never have anything decent that's not vegetarian and they're the only asian food restaurant where that applies, that's my chinese food story
I used to go out with a vegetarian girl who would just scarf down 500 plates of egg foo young in that situation

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

yeah my girlfriend is vegetarian and doesnt like chinese for that reason. though we did find a pretty decent place that had vegetarian with replacement faux-meat and it was pretty good, about 90% the same at least. but at the end of the day it was still chinese food and we agreed we'd rather just being pad si-ew/thai or some indian buffets.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 31, 2014

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

When I hit up my local "do whatever to keep costs down" delivery place my ability to get tofu substituted into a dish depends on who im talking to on the phone. Though eventually I gave up and just stuck to the General Tsofu option and ordering online because I have to repeat my address like a million times via phone.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
I live in the Midwest, where Chinese food is cooked by Mexicans.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Stormfang1502 posted:

I live in the Midwest, where Chinese food is cooked by Mexicans.

In Minnesota, it's the Hmong, close enough I guess.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I miss chinese food. The last time I had it I got nuclear food poisoning; flops sweats, shivering in bed for a week, firehose diarrhea, and explosive puking, and I lost about 10 pounds by the end of that week. Now I can't even look at chinese food without getting queasy.

Thank god I can still do mexican.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
real chinese food is eating scorpions and cats so ill stick with my bastardized american version full of msg and cat

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
When I was a teenager, there was this small Chinese take out place I would go to with friends. The guy that owned it paid highschool students under the table to work part time, but he usually worked by himself. One day the owner came up to us and said "I go deliver order. Watch shop please." and left us alone in the restaurant for like 15 minutes.

The food was pretty lovely, but he was cool. :unsmith:

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
There's only 4 states where you can get good Chinese food.

NY, CA, Hawaii, and Washington (only in Seattle)

Chinese food sucks balls in the rest of America because there are hardly any asians around or they are fobs with no background in cooking trying to imitate chinese food.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Modus Operandi posted:

Chinese food sucks balls in the rest of America because there are hardly any asians

lmao what even in alabama every hole in the wall chinese place has a family of four running it

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
Seriously, what's up with the hot and sour soup situation in the US?.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
dawsonville ga little peking good chinese cheap. well see ya

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fishy Joe posted:

dawsonville ga little peking good chinese cheap. well see ya

Pacific Spice off exit 13 (between Cumming and Alpharetta) is amazing. Lunch specials are cheap.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Modus Operandi posted:

There's only 4 states where you can get good Chinese food.

NY, CA, Hawaii, and Washington (only in Seattle)

Chinese food sucks balls in the rest of America because there are hardly any asians around or they are fobs with no background in cooking trying to imitate chinese food.

You are dumb as hell. hth

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

Shut the gently caress up about thai food everyone knows thai food owns... boiling hot pho (with tendon)

Pho is vietnamese you silly twat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

wow you caught me

• Locked thread