Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Big Beef City posted:

wow you caught me

It's not exactly a secret that you're an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I was really surprised by how many chinese places there are in mexico. Why are there so many? Where did all these chinese people come from?

then i read the treasure of the sierra madre several years later and i finally understood

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
Is there a way to order real Chinese food at these places? I know big cities like NY and SF have authentic food but I live in a smaller city that has tons of takeout joints but I wanna get access to the secret menu.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Kukash posted:

Is there a way to order real Chinese food at these places? I know big cities like NY and SF have authentic food but I live in a smaller city that has tons of takeout joints but I wanna get access to the secret menu.

tell them you want hongshao rou over white rice.

or you could make it yourself since it's wicked easy

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Kukash posted:

Yeah, speak Chinese.

Edit: ^^^^Guy above me knows how it's done. On both parts. A lot of Chinese food isn't that difficult and cooks really fast.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 31, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Chinese food is the easiest poo poo in the world to make. Nearly every dish is some sort of fried meat, with some fried vegetables with some sugary/spicy sauce on it. Its the fast food of asian cuisine. Learn to make it yourself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It tastes the same everywhere because its all from the same factory in Chinatown. Local differences are really just how well the chef can fry some chicken, but the sauces and directives are all shipped out from central warehouses. Its really an incredible distribution network.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

FogHelmut posted:

It tastes the same everywhere because its all from the same factory in Chinatown. Local differences are really just how well the chef can fry some chicken, but the sauces and directives are all shipped out from central warehouses. Its really an incredible distribution network.

Man, middle America must really suck. I mean like, gently caress. No wonder they still bootleg liquor.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

What sucks is that people are too afraid to eat real Chinese food so we're stuck with "dependable, consistent" American Chinese food, which is usually pretty bland and absolutely terrible for you.

I'm glad I live where I do because I'm very close to a bunch of authentic Western Chinese restaurants (that unfortunately don't deliver), and I can get stuff like Chinese cucumber salad, Chinese okra, (good) mapo tofu, and a rack of lamb covered in middle eastern spices just to name a few things. Three Treasures of the Earth is loving amazing and if my girlfriend weren't deathly allergic to eggplant I would probably make it myself every god drat night.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Verisimilidude posted:

What sucks is that people are too afraid to eat real Chinese food so we're stuck with "dependable, consistent" American Chinese food, which is usually pretty bland and absolutely terrible for you.

I'm glad I live where I do because I'm very close to a bunch of authentic Western Chinese restaurants (that unfortunately don't deliver), and I can get stuff like Chinese cucumber salad, Chinese okra, (good) mapo tofu, and a rack of lamb covered in middle eastern spices just to name a few things. Three Treasures of the Earth is loving amazing and if my girlfriend weren't deathly allergic to eggplant I would probably make it myself every god drat night.

I hear the part of China that borders India has some bomb rear end Indian-Chinese hybrid food that I've never seen in the US. I almost want to deal with all the bullshit that goes with visiting India and mainland China just to see what the fuss is about.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hobohemian posted:

I hear the part of China that borders India has some bomb rear end Indian-Chinese hybrid food that I've never seen in the US. I almost want to deal with all the bullshit that goes with visiting India and mainland China just to see what the fuss is about.

I went to a place in Philly that did this but it was like General Tso's Chicken Tikka Masala or some poo poo.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

rack of lamb in question (called Muslim lamb)

This thing looks like some kind of messy primordial crustacean but it's actually a rack of lamb deep fuckin' fried and then backed with a crust of whole spices that will blow your mind.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
While we're on the subject the wok this way thread in GWS is worth the :10bux: by itself.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

rack of lamb in question (called Muslim lamb)

This thing looks like some kind of messy primordial crustacean but it's actually a rack of lamb deep fuckin' fried and then backed with a crust of whole spices that will blow your mind.

I've had better

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Big Beef City posted:

Every time I get Chinese takeout lately it just keeps getting worse, and it's from different establishments, too.

It's not even consistent dishes anymore. Like, one time, my wife ordered beef with broccoli and I got cashew chicken. It was just chicken in the same broccoli and sauce that my wife's beef came in. There weren't even any cashews!

Just yesterday, we went to a different place and we got shrimp with lobster sauce. It was served in the large soup container and was the consistency of soup. Come on.

Also, egg rolls. Egg rolls used to look like this:

(ok not that fancy, but size wise)

and now every single goddamn place is charging a loving BUCK FIFTY for ONE of these things:

I even order interesting things off the menu like Mei Fun and whatever else and it's still all poo poo. I'm getting sick of this, locally owned American Chinese non-chain restaurants. Real sick of it.

P.S. don't even get me loving STARTED on the hot and sour soup situation GODDAMN

cannot say I disagree with you sir

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Big Beef City posted:

Shut the gently caress up about thai food everyone knows thai food owns and you were the first person who ever ate it and know it inside and out and you wrap thick rice noodles around your dick and turn it into a mummy before dipping it in boiling hot pho (with tendon) and only you can order "just make it as hot as you'd eat it" from the guy because it's you. You're the one who knows a thing and no one else can appreciate it forever like you can.

This thread is about lovely chinese take out, now get the gently caress out.

I miss Pittsburgh, as it's the only place I've had decent polish food. :smith:

But yeah, chinese food? Everything these days tastes like it came hot and fresh from behind a walmart sneeze shield (plucked from the frozen food section at sams club). Cannot recall the last time I had an egg roll that was not akin to gnawing on a garden hose. Places even manage to gently caress up fried rice. FRIED loving RICE!

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 31, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Ok, I'm gonna let you guys in on a little secret that you definitely don't deserve to know. If you are eating at an ethnic restaurant, and it is not filled with people of that ethnicity, you are eating at a bad restaurant.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
i dunno man i have seens lots of mexicans eating in taco bell before and i don't think that is high cuisine.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kukash posted:

i dunno man i have seens lots of mexicans eating in taco bell before and i don't think that is high cuisine.

in town there is literally a taco bell and a genuine mexican takeout place side by side
only whites in the taco bell. the real deal is pretty good and portions are HUGE

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

What's the deal with American Chinese food lately?

Capitalism.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Chonchon posted:

Pho is vietnamese you silly twat

It still tastes like poo poo. I end up ordering rice while my family devours Nguyen poo poo.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

THS posted:

fuckin love indian food goddamn

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

whip posted:

It still tastes like poo poo. I end up ordering rice while my family devours Nguyen poo poo.

this is the wrongest opinion expressed in this thread

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Chonchon posted:

Actually I just hate the sour food from Southeast Asia like prahok and fish sauce. It smells and tastes like hell.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

What the hell kind of Pho joint you eating at? Pho is salty. If you want you can put stuff in it but by itself it's pretty much beef broth with rice noodles.
Is the white rice too much for you too? Maybe you should rinse it first to make sure that no flavor somehow stays behind.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Bugdrvr posted:

What the hell kind of Pho joint you eating at? Pho is salty. If you want you can put stuff in it but by itself it's pretty much beef broth with rice noodles.
Is the white rice too much for you too? Maybe you should rinse it first to make sure that no flavor somehow stays behind.

I think they put garlic or something in it. My diet is steamed rice. My wife is Chinese. Every day is rice and something.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

whip posted:

I think they put garlic or something in it. My diet is steamed rice. My wife is Chinese. Every day is rice and something.

Your being a baby doesn't make things you don't like bad.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 31, 2014

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

whip posted:

Actually I just hate the sour food from Southeast Asia like prahok and fish sauce. It smells and tastes like hell.

Fish sauce isn't sour.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Also you have the palette of a british 3 year old, congrats

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ppl who have picky eating habits are the loving worst

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

THS posted:

fuckin love indian food goddamn

Chonchon posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hobohemian posted:

pretty much every country has its own version of chinese food because chinese people run everywhere (also theyre mostly hated wherever they go but thats a different issue). ive honly had it a few times but indian chinese food is pretty good.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Cream_Filling posted:

pretty much every country has its own version of chinese food because chinese people run everywhere (also theyre mostly hated wherever they go but thats a different issue). ive honly had it a few times but indian chinese food is pretty good.
Yeah I will rep it. Indian Chinese best combo. I just made some curry stir-fry with this last night and can vouch for its effectiveness. Make sure you add a little ginger paste

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
There's a restaurant near me that's a lovely Tex-Mex place run by Chinese people.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

whip posted:

lol

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't think I have ever met somebody in my entire life that does not like Chinese people. It must be a white thing, because Blacks, Latinos, and Asians do not shy away from Chinese places even a tad bit. American Koreans are kind of racist though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

I don't think I have ever met somebody in my entire life that does not like Chinese people. It must be a white thing, because Blacks, Latinos, and Asians do not shy away from Chinese places even a tad bit. American Koreans are kind of racist though.

hes talking about southeast asia, south asia, and oceania

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

hes talking about southeast asia, south asia, and oceania

Yeah, that would make sense. They are like Europe and have indiscriminate hate for everything not native.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hobohemian posted:

Yeah, that would make sense. They are like Europe and have indiscriminate hate for everything not native.

its more complicated than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Hobohemian posted:

a lot of Southeast Asians will eat Chinese food and enjoy Chinese stuff (because it's everywhere in Asia) but resent/dislike Chinese people for a few reasons.

In a lot of countries, like Indonesia, the Phillippines, Vietnam to some extent, and a bunch of others, there is a heavy historical Chinese influence and Chinese people own a lot of the businesses, financial institutions, and have a heavy presence in the media.

Chinese immigrant communities also tend to be very insular, helping fellow Chinese business owners and workers a lot but shutting out others.

This, combined with often poor treatment of workers of non-Chinese descent by Chinese business owners and other people (hiring natives as, say, maids or whatever), as well as the perceived appropriation of local culture by Chinese people, leads to a lot of resentment and anger towards Chinese people in general. Actually, the anti-Chinese sentiment in these areas seems, to me, similar to anti-Semitism. In some countries it's really bad. In Indonesia, for example, there's what is essentially a government-sponsored mob which commonly extorts and kills (well, "disappears") Chinese business owners.

• Locked thread