Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If I were making this OP, I would have purposely included stories about both the guy criticizing israel, and another professor who was removed from tenure for racism or something like that. That way we could more easily separate out the meta-level discussion of "should tenure track professors be free to speak as they wish" from the object level "is this guy anti-semitic? you decide...." stuff that isn't nearly as interesting.

Jefrrey, as interesting as your suggestion is, it's wrong as a matter of fact. He wasn't hired as tenure track, he was hired as tenured faculty since he already had tenure at his old school. The other discussion to have (rather than whether his comments were anti-semitic) is unfortunately whether or not he was really "hired" or still pending formal approval, which is just boring discussion about legal details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

boring discussion about legal details.

Hey now, things are starting to pick up!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Jefrrey, as interesting as your suggestion is, it's wrong as a matter of fact. He wasn't hired as tenure track, he was hired as tenured faculty since he already had tenure at his old school. The other discussion to have (rather than whether his comments were anti-semitic) is unfortunately whether or not he was really "hired" or still pending formal approval, which is just boring discussion about legal details.

Hmm my one typo where I wrote track instead of just tenure isn't my point - the interesting question to me is "in what scenarios is it okay to remove a tenured professor for making inflammatory speech" and I don't think it has an obvious answer. I'm interested in the ethics not the legality - as you said the latter is quite boring. In my mind, removing a professor for criticizing Israel is the same as removing one for criticizing multiculturalism, and we shouldn't do either. I want to hear from both people who disagree and think they're both reasonable situations to remove a professor, and people who think the scenarios are fundamentally rather than cosmetically different.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The obvious answer is "Never." Because the academic point of Tenure is to allow even controversial academic opinion to be expressed without pressure from the school or its fundees.

If Hitler is alive and saying "gas the jews" as a tenured professor, then he gets to keep saying it until he actually tries to do it. The damage of punishing awful tenured professors for Wrongthought vastly outweighs the benefit of no longer having a racist professor.

As an example: If a precedent is set for radical professors losing tenure and being fired is established, exactly what stops a professor from being fired for saying "wages are too low, junior professors are treated like dogshit, colleges are wasting money students cant afford on rich-kid luxuries. If I were in your place I'd learn a trade and wait for tuition to collapse"?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 13, 2015

• Locked thread