Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

quote:

PRESS RELEASE - PACIFIC CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING
09/01/14 - SACRAMENTO, CA

Pictured: Donald Warren, schmuck New Owner

After years of financial uncertainty and controversial decisions, it appears that there is finally the funding to bring Pacific Championship Wrestling back to television on the entirety of the west coast. The investors are a group of businesspeople from all along the west coast, promising big changes in one of the more turbulent territories of the recent past. While most of the investors wish not to be named, the primary owner and operator of the new Pacific Championship Wrestling will be Donald Warren, Seattle native, entrepreneur and big fan of professional wrestling. “I remember watching PCW as a kid, back in the heyday of the territory. We want to bring wrestling back to the west coast, something people will want to watch. Excitement and action are our goals.” He has hired a few older hands to help him run the place, names that were popular in the past but don’t have the ability to still do their jobs inside the ring.

Mr. Warren also mentioned that while he plans to take a hands on role with the day-to-day operations, he hasn’t said whether he’s likely to take a role on-camera. Rumors say that he was planning on being an authority figure, wanting to lead on-screen as well as off. Given some of his known eccentricities, neither of the choices would surprise most people. He has mentioned that he wants to bring a new face to PCW when they restart TV tapings, but no further details have been released.

To celebrate the new TV tapings, PCW has done a revamping of their roster to hopefully bring in new fans and interest in the new product. “We hope this new generation of PCW will increase our visibility, and help us establish ourselves as a power in the west”, Warren says, as he plans on finalizing the first show in the near future.

quote:

411MANIA.COM - SOME GUY TALKING ABOUT WRESTLING

Here’s the problem with this PCW buyout: Warren is a giant money mark, and he’s probably going to book himself into some kind of authority position. We can at least hope he doesn’t get into any actual matches: The guy’s pushing 60 and doesn’t look like he can run half a mile, much less take a bump. Hopefully, some of the new performers help keep him out of the ring, or at the very least, keep him from getting himself too badly hurt.

Plus, everyone knows that PCW lost most of their roster to the midwest and western Canadian territories. This was going to be their only shot at bouncing back, getting some solid new workers and changing the stale product. I’m worried that given some of the big money involvement, that these people will be trying to push for some weird nostalgia nonsense. Worse, some of the older wrestlers brought in to help book may not be willing to put over or work with the new talent. This could turn into a disaster really quickly.

quote:

RANDOM YOUTUBE CLIP OF SOME MARK

Oh, this’ll be awesome! Screw (extended bleeping noise), I’m spending my Thursday nights with PCW!

OOC Notes:

What game is this? Don’t you mean Wild World Wrestling?

It’s a new Powered by the Apocalypse game called World Wide Wrestling (currently being kickstarted at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ndpaoletta/world-wide-wrestling-rpg-pro-wrestling-action-dram ), following pro wrestlers both inside and outside the ring as they try to cut out a place in the wrestling world for themselves. The playtest documents are found at http://ndpdesign.com/playtest. The rules have a lot in common with other PbtA games, but has distinctive parts in terms of Audience scores (how popular the wrestler is, used for advances), Heat scores (how well two wrestlers work together, used in a lot of moves for working together) and Momentum (how well your wrestler’s been going, used to add to dice rolls 1 for 1). However, experience with the system or similar systems isn’t required.

What sort of wrestling are you aiming for?

Right now, I’m thinking of a modern indie concept but with a heavy focus on factions and on keeping things in action. Think a mix between the wrestling of PWG and the groupings of a CHIKARA, put into a world where there are still territories and competition in the wrestling marketplace. This will be tweaked based on participation, ideas, etc. But I’d prefer something like that as it makes booking a little easier and is something I can write NPCs for easier than other basic storylines.

The rest, however, isn't set in stone. Names, gimmicks, stories, etc are going to be based on which gimmicks show

What if I’m not a huge wrestling fan? Not big on PbtA?

Here’s the great thing about writing wrestling rather than real-life: You don’t have to be a huge fan, just enough of a fan of the idea of the kayfabe drama usually gets solved by violence, and that the backstage drama usually gets solved by political nonsense. Plus, with the power of google, you don’t even need to know much about wrestling to write a match. Just look on youtube and the SA Forums’ very own Wrestling GIF thread for ideas.

If you’re not big on PbtA, this may be a bigger problem, but if you’re a fan of wrestling, trying a system that doesn’t treat the in-ring stuff as the major component could be a nice change of pace. Plus, it’s simple enough that it won’t take much effort to get the basics down, and it should be fluid for most things.

So, how should I app for this game?

Pick one of the Gimmicks from the beta and write up a full character. Note that WWW does have the One Gimmick Limit, so if everyone tries to pick the same few Gimmicks, it’ll limit the options. Note that Gimmick is different than gimmick. Two guys can be big, nasty brawlers, but only one of them gets to be the Monster. I may mess with this once I’ve poked the wheels a bit, but it does make things easier.

Try to give at least one solid hook for a kayfabe storyline and another for a shoot storyline. Give this person a reason to both be involved in the show and keep on trying to stay on the show despite whatever terrible stuff may happen. If I have to pick people (doubtful but still possible), bonus points will be given to apps with more visual elements along with meshing well from a storyline point of view. On top of that, bonus for those who add something to the wrestling organization
For those of you not as familiar with modern indie wrestling, there are no men’s/women’s divisions for the most part. Everyone wrestles everyone, although generally the feuds are based on wrestlers with similar size if they involve wrestlers of different genders. I’ll generally be sticking with this general concept, unless there’s some direct input to push this one way or another.

Along with your character, write up at least one other person for the game. This can be another wrestler, a manager, a commentator, etc. I don’t expect much for these, just a few sentences and a picture. These NPCs will flavor the show, and mostly function as ways to push the various storylines along.

Questions? Ask in this thread, and hopefully I'll be able to answer. Recruitment's going to be at least a week, maybe longer if people need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Having run a pickup game of WWW with some new to rpg wrestling fans, I definitely want to get in on the player side of things. Quick question: On the scale of gimmick gimmickry where does the PCW fall between say Ring of Honor and The Most Illegal Move In The History Of Wrestling?

Also, how are you planning on handling the Announcer with the PbP format?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm suddenly very tempted to make a Jobber for this. Are you cool with a jobber? :v:

Oddly enough, trying to think of a good story for a guy who is meant to be rather unremarkable is kind of hard! Sounds like PCW is only just restarting after a period of hiatus? Or was it just rather miniscule in market presence for the last few years (decade+?).

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
I'd like to app an Anti-Hero for this, thinking his gimmick will be an ex-military guy (think equal parts John Cena and The Shield) whose "classified past" could come back to haunt him in the ring!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The chance to pbp a strung-out adrenaline junkie with, ahem, a need for speed?

Heh.

Yeah, I wanna draft up a Wasted. Just looks like too much drat fun. I'll probably have something for ya tomorrow.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Oh hell yes I want in on this. Will probably pick High-Flyer or Golden Boy.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

Having run a pickup game of WWW with some new to rpg wrestling fans, I definitely want to get in on the player side of things. Quick question: On the scale of gimmick gimmickry where does the PCW fall between say Ring of Honor and The Most Illegal Move In The History Of Wrestling?

Also, how are you planning on handling the Announcer with the PbP format?

Gimmick is slightly past the midpoint towards dance-offs. Let's say that Tallest Wrestler Alive should be the highest level of gimmickery that should be seen as repeat gimmickery.

As far as the announcer goes, I'll play it by ear, but it'll probably be just something I'll assign to each match. Depends on what people come up with for an announce team, etc.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm suddenly very tempted to make a Jobber for this. Are you cool with a jobber? :v:

Oddly enough, trying to think of a good story for a guy who is meant to be rather unremarkable is kind of hard! Sounds like PCW is only just restarting after a period of hiatus? Or was it just rather miniscule in market presence for the last few years (decade+?).

PCW had no television presence, and usually had shows once a month that were best described as "Maybe worth the 5 bucks you paid for a seat". The talent were generic and mediocre on their best days.

EDIT: Also, I mentioned PWG a lot, but completely forgot how indie-flippy it can get. So, while it's still modern-style indie wrestling, it's not only about flips and high-risk. Probably some more of the ROH influence of heavy-looking strikes and moves, mixed in with sensible selling of moves.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 31, 2014

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Working on a BigfootWILD MAN themed Monster. Big hairy guy with crazy eyes, does a lot of bearhugs, tossing dudes around like they weigh nothing and making weird noises. Assuming it wouldn't be too out there; I'll try to have something up to give a better idea of that sooner or later.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Currently working on a Veteran who used to do PCW when he was fresh and went on to make a name for himself in the world of Japanese Pro Wrestling. A little bit of that original Hunter Hearst Helmsley/Damien Sandow aristocratic intellectual with a gimmick of 'educating' younger wrestlers in the finer points of sports entertainment. He's also brought along a young up-and-comer who may have some issues about how PCW is looking to repackage them...

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Currently working on a Veteran who used to do PCW when he was fresh and went on to make a name for himself in the world of Japanese Pro Wrestling. A little bit of that original Hunter Hearst Helmsley/Damien Sandow aristocratic intellectual with a gimmick of 'educating' younger wrestlers in the finer points of sports entertainment. He's also brought along a young up-and-comer who may have some issues about how PCW is looking to repackage them...

Speaking of which, my Golden Boy is actulaly a businessman from JPW who got assaulted backstage during an outburst by one of their heels who didn't understand who they were supposed to beat on. A few months later, the same guy was challenged to a match against a new opponent: the same guy, who trained like crazy in that time to get back at him. People went wild for a 30-something year old japanese businessman kicking the crap out of a dude twice his weight.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let's all just be transplants from the Japan circuit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, as a Jobber, I figure my guy will just be some guy who never managed to make gain any popularity and bounced between a few circuits and/or personas and eventually just resigned himself to an unremarkable career. He's a technically skilled performer, but just never grabbed fan attention for some reason. With PWC having a big revitalization thanks to new ownership however, maybe he sees this as another chance. Not that anyone is gonna pay attention to a no-name like him with this noteworthy talent being brought in. :v:

One idea I've had is that for the previous PWC (or maybe a previous circuit) he's pulled double duty using a masked persona and unmasked as a referee.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've never done one of these before. I was writing up my story of a bright, beautiful life gone to drugs and pro wrestling but it feels long. How long is too long?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

Let's all just be transplants from the Japan circuit.

Other than this (which I know is not a serious idea), most of the ideas are sounding fun. Pulling double duty as a jobber sounds downright normal, monsters gonna monster as long as he isn't literally Bigfoot or Giant Gonzalez, an adrenaline junkie would fit into any west coast org, the ex-military one sounds like a fun guy to build a story around.

I'd say there's another pretty good wrestling continent in Europe if you want a person from Elsewhere(tm), and don't want to double down on Japan.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, on further brainstorming I'm getting less Bigfoot and more wild guy who does what he wants (beat people up) for reasons I'll need to figure out. Or maybe I'll just try and figure out a Manager. The only wrestling I'm familiar with is WWE and that's pretty thin, mostly NXT and the occasional main event thing so this should be interesting to figure out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm serious by the way. I'm coming up on 2000 words and kind of almost there, but I don't wanna be a Meinberg and I really don't know the etiquette on these things.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm serious by the way. I'm coming up on 2000 words and kind of almost there, but I don't wanna be a Meinberg and I really don't know the etiquette on these things.

If things are too extreme/silly/etc, we can hopefully tweak things enough to fit into the tone of the story. But the general idea of an addict what does crazy things in the ring is pretty much a staple of pro wrestling in general.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
So it looks like the High Flyer is still unclaimed? I still have a character concept from the some time someone tried to recruit for a wrestling RPG here. It's El Bávaro, a luchadore with a Bavarian gimmick, complete with brass music as entrance theme, lederhosen ring gear, and yodeling.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'd be interested to do an app for this. Was thinking of doing a Technician as an ex-MMA guy that, to put it bluntly, never really amounted to much in the MMA circuit so he's trying his hand at wrestling (after doing some training of course, I do realise the skillset is different). Could have the gimmick that he pretends, during his matches, to use Actual MMA Techniques™ thus hurting his opponents too much (in a kayfabe way of course). Thoughts?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Tekopo posted:

I'd be interested to do an app for this. Was thinking of doing a Technician as an ex-MMA guy that, to put it bluntly, never really amounted to much in the MMA circuit so he's trying his hand at wrestling (after doing some training of course, I do realise the skillset is different). Could have the gimmick that he pretends, during his matches, to use Actual MMA Techniques™ thus hurting his opponents too much (in a kayfabe way of course). Thoughts?

Considering that the complications with the Technician's Finishing Move include "Oops, accidentally used an actual factual submission hold instead" that sounds like a great gimmick.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Just make sure you use the objectively best entrance theme of a MMA/Prograps crossover wrestler for your character!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Since I'm on IRC anyways, I've made a channel for any questions/concerns/etc. Find me on #wrestlemans on the irc.synirc.net server that all the SA folks use.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Marcus "The Ranger" Riker

Kayfabe Bio: Marcus Riker is a mysterious man, one whose past is shrouded by words like "classified" and "redacted." Having joined the military at a young age, he spent years as a special forces operator before being discharged for punching his commanding officer for reasons the government STILL won't disclose to PCW! Now, he brings his considerable combative skills and commanding demeanor to world of sports entertainment in the PCW, wrestling for truth, justice, and the good old Red, White, and Blue! But what black-barred secrets in his decorated past will come to haunt him in the ring? No one knows!

Shoot Concept: Someone high up in PCW is screwing over the talent, and even going so far as to ask them to work as muscle out of the ring! Riker knows a thing or two about people issuing morally repugnant orders, and he's gonna make it known to the PCW, the fans, and the whole drat world if he needs to!

Reality: Marcus Riker was Special Forces - Marine Force Recon. For a while. Until he ended his tour and got sent home to little fanfare. No one cared about a returning soldier in a war that no one even wanted. Finding work was hard - construction crews were full of felons and kids, factories only promoted from within, and nothing he could do would pan out for longer than a week. Until a friend got him into an audition with the PCW, and his ticket to a better life came. Now, he wrestles, not just for the paycheck, but to show other veterans that they can come back to a better country. They can come back home. And if he left the show, it would be betraying the ideals he stood up for. So the show will go on, for as long as Marcus Riker's body can hold him in that ring.

pre:
Marcus Riker

Hailing From: Brooklyn, New York
Entrance: Silent and Serious

Look: Like an ex-military guy.  Close-cropped (but outside of regs)
 hair, a lot of vaguely military/patriotic ink, a big lantern jaw 
and some stubble, maybe a couple of scars, and some very fierce eyes.

Stats:
Look 0
Work 0
Power -2
Real +1

Starting Role: Babyface

Moves:
Finishing Move:  When you’re booked to win a match, 
roll 2d6. On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. Choose 
whether you gain +1 Audience, or whether your opponent 
does. On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Chose: you 
win clean, and you both gain +1 Momentum, or win via 
countout, disqualification or interference, and gain +1 
Heat with your opponent. On a botch, choose: you lose 
-1 Audience (but get the win) or you’re screwed out of 
victory by an authority figure.

Rules?  What Rules?:   When you break the rules in a 
match, roll +Look. On a 10+, you get away with it and the 
you get to book the finish of the match on the fly (this 
overrides Creative’s booking). On a 7-9, pick 1: you get 
away with it and gain +1 Momentum, or you don’t and gain 
+1 Heat with your opponent. On a botch you get DQed 
and lose the match (this overrides Creative’s booking).

Anything You Need To Do To Win:  You can use both the Babyface 
and Heel moves.
NPC: Konohiro "The World Warrior" Yamazaki

Konohiro Yamazaki's gimmick is being a wrestler obsessed with beating the strongest warriors in the world. He claims to have taken down Mossad agents, MI6 spies, and even the Thuggee cults of India. Now, he's got his sights set on the American commando, Marcus Riker.

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 2, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Richard "The Surgeon" Royston

Kayfabe Bio: No one quite knows how Royston actually managed to get into the promotion, but rumors go that he was invited directly by Warren in order to 'deal with' any other wrestlers that stepped over the line. An ex-MMA fighter, he was known for his BJJ skills when he was still fighting within that circuit and its clear that he'll make use of those skills in order to set straight anyone that management and PCW considers a threat.

Shoot Concept: Royston has attacked a particular Face backstage just prior to his match, letting his Heel opponent win when Management didn't call off the match! Royston got barely a slap on the wrist for it, so its clear that Management is in cahoots with the Heel in order to make him win the championship.

Reality: Royston is an MMA fighter that never really got very far in the MMA circuit: although he is a more than capable BJJ fighter, his standing game suffered and thus his record was less than stellar. Ambitious enough to want to make it big at least somewhere, Royston retrained into professional wrestling and had some success with the local circuit in England, but was never really known outside it. Seeking opportunities within the USA in order to reach a wider audience, Royston booked with the PCW in order to get set up and hopefully become a well-known wrestling figure.

pre:
Richard Royston

Gimmick: Technician
Hailing From: Manchester, United Kingdom
Entrance: Loud and Overblown

Look: Uses most of the standard gear that he used when he 
was doing MMA in order to boost his image as an 'outsider' 
to wrestling.

Stats:
Look -2
Work +2
Power +1
Real -1

Starting Role: Heel

Moves:
FINISHING MOVE: When you’re booked to win a match, 
roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. Choose 
whether you or your opponent gains +1 Audience. On a 
7-9, they make you work for it. Choose: they counter and 
you have to slap a real submission hold on them, gain +2 
Momentum; they no-sell your finish and you have to hit 
them with it again, gain +1 Heat with them. On a botch, 
pick one: it’s sloppy, lose -1 Audience and win the match; 
you go overboard or really crank in a hold, you injure your 
opponent, and end the match in a no contest.

TECHNICAL EXPERT: +1 Work

VERSATILE: You can use the opposite Role move of 
anyone you’re squaring off with (in or out of the ring). 
If you’re facing a Babyface, you can use the Heel Move, 
and if you’re facing a Heel, you can use the Babyface 
Move. If you’re facing an Advanced Role, you use your 
normal Role Move. (this represents the fact that he can
pop when management make him strike a wayward Heel).
Moves: Most of the moves are relatively standard, but are added additional mystique by the announcers thanks to Royston's 'MMA Training'.
The Operating Table (Finishing Move): The Operating Table is a relatively simple straight armbar that Royston uses as his finishing submission hold, with Royston extending the arm sideways with his feet over the chest of the opponent.

Anesthesia: A standing rear naked choke.

Surgical Cut: A spinning side slam in which Royston does the throat cut gesture before sending the opponent to the ropes and then performing the spinning side slam as the opponent comes back.

'MMA Punches': A standard flurry of punches/slaps delivered to the opponent while he is on the corner. Usually embellished with BS about Royston 'knowing where to hit' or 'delivering crippling MMA blows'.

Jaw Cracker: A superkick delivered with some embellishment to make it look like an MMA move.

NPC Mike Stanton

Stanton is the classic Heel commentator and almost always will take the side of the bad guys/management during a broadcast. He has been known to get in a few fights within the ring as well.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 4, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kevin "Skyhawk" Culshaw

updated, see a few posts down

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 3, 2014

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Tempted to make a Regal-style Technician/Hardcore Gimmick. Will move to Hardcore/Veteran if Tepoko wants dibs on the Technician.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

N. Joseph "The Viper" Young

Kayfabe: His fall from grace as a prominent collegiate wrestler plunged him into depths unknown. He's seen things, man. He's been there, and you have no loving idea what it's like, do you? No, you don't. Entering the promotion a shadow of his former self, the Viper seeks redemption, even though at this point he's a bit of a joke. He's mocked for everything from being too skinny to being an ugly pretty-boy. A good "Go back to Utah!" is especially well-known to get under his skin.

Shoot: Oh, he's still on drugs. Mostly meth, but far be it from him to turn down...well, basically anything. The promotion doesn't mind the authentic flavor to his character...except, of course, when he forgets and/or flat-out ignores the script.

Reality: This nice young Mormon from Provo was an amazing wrestler in high school, earning him an athletic scholarship to attend Stanford. He was a strong member of their team, but maintaining his academics took him down the road of adderall, to cocaine, and then meth when he couldn't afford the coke anymore. It didn't take him long after that to get kicked off the team, losing his scholarship and being forced to leave school. Ever since then he's spent most of his time strung out in a den in Oakland. A friend dared him to audition for the PCW and, although his physique isn't what it once was, he still remembers the moves. The meth gives a manic edge to his personality which the PCW found intriguing.

NPC

Shaena Connor

Shaena leads the PCW dance troupe, providing nice, family-friendly entertainment before the night gets underway and in between matches. She's beautiful, but the rest of the troupe knows she's not the best among them. The question of how she got her position is the subject of great speculation.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

Tempted to make a Regal-style Technician/Hardcore Gimmick. Will move to Hardcore/Veteran if Tepoko wants dibs on the Technician.
Is it possible to do crossover gimmicks? There seem to be rules for transitioning from one to another but not having two at once.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Tekopo posted:

Is it possible to do crossover gimmicks? There seem to be rules for transitioning from one to another but not having two at once.

I more meant those were the gimmicks I would consider choosing (1 of either Technician or Hardcore/1 of Hardcore/Veteran if you wanted technician).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'll wait to hear what thelazyblank thinks of my current concept first, I do have some other ideas for other Gimmicks if my concept for the Technician doesn't pan out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well there is always the extra gimmicks the kickstarter will have, eventually.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Alright, so I'm liking what I see so far in the big picture sense. I'm gonna wait a few days to get all the apps before making any yes or no answers to anything, as a lot of stuff ends up depending on the characters that are in the game. I'm trying not to put too much concrete info out there, so I don't end up with "But you said!" responses since I haven't seen everyone's full characters.

As far as people who haven't app'd yet, I'd suggest not trying to double up on Gimmicks since this game uses Apoc World's Only 1 Of Each Gimmick rule. I'm not going to do first come, first serve though. If there's more than I'm comfortable running with (which we're approaching right now), I'll be picking based on fit to the others.

Also, to help you figure out some of your character stuff (and to help me with picks if needed), I'll be trying to work on interview prompts and real-life prompts so I get a better idea of what's going on with your character.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kevin "Skyhawk" Culshaw
Jobber

Kayfabe Bio:

Skyhawk made his PCW debut in late 2012 fighting against Howitzer. Despite a few initial successes this competitor has largely gotten lost in the shuffle, rarely wins, and almost never features in the top half of the card. - 321PIN.com Wrestler Profile Entry

only thing cool about this guy is the mask mostly because it looks silly - Metroman64, Youtube Comment

Man, PCW has been pretty hit or miss lately, but watching Thunderbolt take that skylark guy apart tonight was awesome. - N. Hendricks, PCW Facebook comment

Shoot Concept: After years of doing the job, Kevin is hoping the PCW revitalization might be his ticket to those 15 minutes he's always seemed to miss out on. But as the new management started in bringing more and more noteworthy talent, it became clear this would be no easy task. If only he could get people's attention. Maybe he can even convince them he doesn't need another stupid mask...

Reality: In a career spanning almost 7 years Kevin has bounced between both identities and circuits, never succeeding in grabbing attention. While a technically skilled performer, Kevin has never hit it big due to a lack of management support, interesting identity, and a willingness to put the team ahead of himself. The last 4 years Kevin has even worked as both a masked wrestler and a referee (especially for "rough" matches), with half of that being spent at PCW. Despite his lack of notable success, Kevin loves wrestling and is excited to be part of the rebuilding of PCW and frequently takes on additional backstage duties to help out.

(Possible) Past Identities:
The Ninja
Highwayman
Red Dragon
Warlock
Referee Ataru Hashida
Referee Kevin Culson

quote:

Skyhawk (Kevin Culshaw)

Hailing from: Santa Monica, California

Entrance: Strangely Sympathetic

Look: Bare chested, blue pants, black boots and wristbands, Bird-like blue mask.

Stats:

Look: -2
Power: +0
Real: -1
Work: +2

Moves:
- Do The Job
- Career Wrestler
- Multitalented

Kayfabe: Wrestling Moves

Signature move: Skybolt (Running Dropkick, typical leads into it from an Irish Whip)
Signature move: Flashhawk (Backflip kick or Pelé kick)

Howard "Howitzer" Reynolds

Nicknamed "Howitzer" for his hometown of Rock Island, Illinois (home of Rock Island Arsenal, manufacturer of artillery pieces) and for his preference for flashy turnbuckle leaping attacks, including his signature "FFE" pointed elbow drop. Howard Reynolds was one of PCW's biggest (and few) draws prior to the recent buyout. In the past he's straddled the line between Face and Heel, but how he reacts to the change in management is anyone's guess. - WorldWideWrestlingFan.com

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 8, 2014

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Goro "Chief" Ryotsu

Kayfabe Bio: PCW has been looking to branch out for quite some time, and obviously, reached to other circuits to get it moving. JPW, the Japanese wrestling circuit, had been going on for decades now, was contacted, and asked to invest in this. during one of the monthhly events. The Chief was one of those investors, whom had a vested interest in seeing what the west could do with an art they'd pretty much perfected (although none of them had actually wrestled, unlike most of the management in western divisions). In a bout of confusion, one of the heels at the time, during a scene wherein he was supposed to beat on a technician showing his anger towards losing the last match, found the wrong man that day. Several injuries and a month later, the management had him booked for a "special" match against a mystery opponent: Chief Ryotsu, who had been training day in and day out for this. In a long but ultimately satisfying match, he proved to be a wrestler with a ton of heart and limited skill, outlasting his opponent and, with a powerful maneuver to turn the tides, put him down for the three-count. Ryotsu, happy as a lark, was given the green light to join as a proper wrestler starting with the very next showing, ready to show off his...unique, if lovable, style of wrestling.

Shoot Concept: The Chief has a habit of thinking he's got an easy challenge ahead of him, and will often place stipulations and challenges for himself for each match. For the management, these range from simple things like "I will defeat my opponent at the eight minute mark" to "how are we going to make this work", such as "I will lift him (a super-heavyweight) up off the ground!" While it's good for fan reactions since he doesn't always succeed, when he's booked to succeed and the management's at a loss for how to make his words come true, all sorts of chaos can emerge.

Reality: Goro was just a man who watched wrestling day-to-day and picked up a few things while keeping in relatively good shape. His injuries were real alright, but his match and ensuing victory were both an apology and an attempt by PCW to appease JPW (and avoid subsequent bankrupting court cases). It was supposed to be a one-off match, but he enjoyed his little moment in the sun so much that he wanted to be signed on for more matches. The JPW proposed the following: you keep letting this guy win fights, and provide promotions for JPW, and we'll drop everything. Needless to say, not everyone is happy that Goro has a free ride to a net positive win-loss record.

Moves and Finishers:
Finisher: Seal of Approval (Fireman's Carry Powerslam, can be used as a catch/counter finisher)
Finisher: Sayonara (Giant Swing)
Signature: Kacho Kicks (Repeated low or mid kicks followed by a Shining Apprentice, used on standing or kneeling opponent)
Signature: Letter Opener (Spear)
Signature: Stamper (Mushroom Stomp)

code:
Chief Ryotsu (Goro Ryotsu), Golden Boy
Hailing From: Osaka, Japan
Entrance: Classic and Impressive
Look: Green business suit, white undershirt and orange tie, white headband

Stats:

Look: 2
Power: 0
Real: -2
Work: 0

Moves:
Finishing Move
Dynasty Scion
I Am The Future
NPC

Smilin' Sammy G
Sammy here is an infamous member of the business. He's the only manager who'll accept absolutely anyone, so even if you're a loser who couldn't wrestle his way out of a paper bag, you come to him and he'll set you right. Of course, this comes at several prices, not the least of which being that he's notorious for his backdoor dealings and finding new ways to sneak advantages into the ring. Still, for some people, having someone backing them is better than nothing, and not everyone's willing to walk the straight and narrow path to main event status.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 4, 2014

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Alright, while I'm re-reading these, I realized there were a few small things missing that'll help me figure things out:

1) The Gimmick of the character, not to be confused with the gimmick. I figured them all out, but having them on the sheet somewhere would make things easier. I believe, so far, we've got:

-Chief Ryotsu, Golden Boy
-Skyhawk, Jobber
-Viper, Wasted
-Royston, Technician
-Riker, Anti-Hero

If this isn't right, bring it to my attention, either in thread or in PM. Still accepting more apps.

2) Finishers and movesets. While finishers aren't as important given the diversity of the concepts so far, having some uniqueness in your movesets is somewhat important. Think of the character's Five Moves of Doom, if you have to, and what moves would be in there.

And finally, I'm gonna work in some kayfabe interview prompts for those five above. Try to keep it relatively short, this isn't a Raw Opening Segment I'm looking for here, just a basic wrestling 101-style promo.

EDIT:

All prompts are going to be given by a generic interviewer for now, but we'll fill in that spot as things go.

Chief Ryotsu, the crowd seems to be happy with most of your matches due to your gung-ho nature. However, the crowd could be heard getting antsy during your last match against the one they call The Howitzer, Howard Reynolds. Was it a clash of styles, were you focused on getting the win rather than worrying about the crowd? What happened out there?

Skyhawk, despite your very terrible win-loss record, they said they're going to give everyone a chance at winning the big PCW Heavyweight Title. How will you make your mark, given the fact that no one expects you to get very close to that goal? Are you hoping for a battle royal, where you can sneak in, or do you want to show people that you are the real deal and deserve your spot here?

Viper, you've only been seen a couple times on the west coast recently, and everyone has been saying that you've got a big upside, but that you're just as likely to hurt yourself as you are to pin your opponent. How do you respond to this? Do you plan on slowing down anytime soon, maybe returning to a more traditional style?

Royston, you're trying to become another member of the short list of crossover talent to go from the octagon to the squared circle. However, you don't seem to be trying to make very many friends. There was an incident during some of the pre-shows where you nearly broke another competitor's arm, and some say it was intentional and uncalled for. What do you have to say about that?

Riker, we know you support the troops and that you try to avoid politics. However, the management, as it is, seems to have it out for you. Hiring people that work closely with them from all over the world. Do you think it's personal or aimed at you in any way, or are they just assembling strong talent with this new cash influx?

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 4, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've updated my post with my Gimmick and some sample moves.

thelazyblank posted:

Royston, you're trying to become another member of the short list of crossover talent to go from the octagon to the squared circle. However, you don't seem to be trying to make very many friends. There was an incident during some of the pre-shows where you nearly broke another competitor's arm, and some say it was intentional and uncalled for. What do you have to say about that?
"I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to compete and show to these so-called wrestlers and wrestling fans what REAL fighting is! As for my pre-show with the Tornado, well, he had been mouthing off a lot, saying this and that about the management and how they were screwing him over. If there is one thing I can't stand, is disloyalty to your superiors. And if anyone steps over the line, be sure that I'll be coming for YOU." *points at camera as he says the last line*

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 4, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

thelazyblank posted:

Viper, you've only been seen a couple times on the west coast recently, and everyone has been saying that you've got a big upside, but that you're just as likely to hurt yourself as you are to pin your opponent. How do you respond to this? Do you plan on slowing down anytime soon, maybe returning to a more traditional style?

"I've been training hard, harder than anybody I'm up against. I don't know how to train in any way other than the 'traditional' way, so that's what you can expect to see from me. I can't imagine I'll get hurt in the ring, but I can't say the same thing for my opponents.

As for slowing down? I can't slow down. I'm the VIPER, and anybody coming up against me will fall into my traps and find themselves on the floor faster than they can say uncle."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

thelazyblank posted:

Chief Ryotsu, the crowd seems to be happy with most of your matches due to your gung-ho nature. However, the crowd could be heard getting antsy during your last match against the one they call The Howitzer, Howard Reynolds. Was it a clash of styles, were you focused on getting the win rather than worrying about the crowd? What happened out there?

"Ah, you see, that was a first for me. I managed to succeed and fail at a challenge at the same time. As you know, my challenge was to 'Catch the FFE'. He got on the ropes and leapt just as I got up, and I did catch him. But then, uwah! He countered my counter and dragged me down face-first into his knees! I wasn't expecting that, and neither were my fans. Closest win I've had to date, that's for sure."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sorry I haven't gotten around to make a proper submission yet. I should get to it until Saturday, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

thelazyblank posted:

Skyhawk, despite your very terrible win-loss record, they said they're going to give everyone a chance at winning the big PCW Heavyweight Title. How will you make your mark, given the fact that no one expects you to get very close to that goal? Are you hoping for a battle royal, where you can sneak in, or do you want to show people that you are the real deal and deserve your spot here?

Skyhawk does a pretty good (but not perfect) job of not outwardly cringing at the mention of his mediocrity.

"Uhhh... Well, as always I am keeping an optimistic viewpoint. You're only truly defeated if you give up for good, and I have no intention of throwing in the towel. I've been practicing and training diligently the last few months... The change in management represents a new beginning for PCW as it aspires to greater things and to be better than it once was. I've got the same mindset, and all I need is a few good opportunities to prove myself, just like PCW, to all the new people who will be watching on TV.

And as for 'sneaking in', well... Whats the use in in becoming top dog through trickery if you just get knocked aside a minute later in an honest fight? Its pointless."

• Locked thread