Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it?
Yes
No
Plape
View Results

• Locked thread
Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Just have a North vs. South civil war in the UK and settle this once and for all.

I mean the US did and the north and south get along splendidly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

General Bort posted:

England should leave the EU then they can suck everyone's dick even more

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Who cares, does anyone even think about Scotland at all during a normal day? Do they contribute anything at all even?

Scotland is kinda like Hungary or Albania, you wouldnt miss them if they suddenly didnt exist.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I very occasionally think about Scotland but only because I had a great holiday with my pretty lady in Edinburgh and the whiskey was good

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't give a rat's rear end OP. Same with the rest of the world.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Can we trade Quebec for Scotland?
It'll work out, the proximity to actual France would maybe get the acadians to realize how poo poo they are.
Scotts already like Canada, they keep coming here.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Seeing how "UK" and "England" generally are considered exchangeable over here, I look forward for the news about Scotland leaving England.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
26 + 6 = 1

gently caress the queen.

Parallax Scroll posted:

yes gently caress england

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

if scotland leaves are they still going to call the uk the uk. seems kinda embarassing when its not really united anymore.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
They can't even grasp the basic concept of a sausage how can they be expected to govern their own country?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
england has threatened scotland by taking away the bbc if they leave and we all know how addicted euros are to bbc

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The scottish accent is literally the worst loving accent in this the whole of this gay loving earth.

If it means they'll go away then yes, please yes.

Also where is Goku?

Brummie? Scouse?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

do they still have the d&d thread where scottish marxists claim that independence will lead to a glorious marxist future because scotland votes marginally to the left of southern england, even though there's no indication that this is likely based on the last century of scottish electoral polling and the current SNP plan for scotland post-independence is literally to turn it into a corporate tax haven

because i enjoyed that thread a lot

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wow i never would have guessed d&d was full of idiot marxists whoops tautology

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

do they still have the d&d thread where scottish marxists claim that independence will lead to a glorious marxist future because scotland votes marginally to the left of southern england, even though there's no indication that this is likely based on the last century of scottish electoral polling and the current SNP plan for scotland post-independence is literally to turn it into a corporate tax haven

because i enjoyed that thread a lot

No is going to win pretty overwhelmingly, and Better Together did a real terrible job overall.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Nonsense posted:

No is going to win pretty overwhelmingly, and Better Together did a real terrible job overall.

of course it is

the thread was like 80% comprised of people just trying to explain why none of the polls actually counted and celebrating 1-point swings in their favour

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

well at least catalonia is like 65% pro-independence and is going to have a referendum in three months, despite the spanish government declaring the referendum illegal and that it will not recognize the results. more exciting possibilities there than this poo poo

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
No. Imagine when a scotsman goes abroad and he tells everyone "I'm scottish" and everyone says "oh, like english but shitter". If scotland is in the UK he can just say "I'm british" and noone is any the wiser

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Teddles posted:

No. Imagine when a scotsman goes abroad and he tells everyone "I'm from scotland" and everyone says "oh, like england but shitter". If scotland is in the UK he can just say "I'm british" and noone is any the wiser

Actual edit: I'm just gonna leave this

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Teddles posted:

No. Imagine when a scotsman goes abroad and he tells everyone "I'm scottish" and everyone says "oh, like english but shitter". If scotland is in the UK he can just say "I'm british" and noone is any the wiser

he'll still know, though

he'll still know

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Scotland is a pissant little country, and if it goes independent it's going to be torn a new rear end in a top hat by the banks, businesses, the EU and everyone else.

At least the UK as a whole has existing relations, reputation and some genuine military and economic strength. Scotland will be starting from nothing, hoping in vain that their homegrown politicians will be better than westminister politicians (they won't), that they can fund a country on tourism and oil alone (you can't), and that 'everything will just fall into place' with business (who will leave in droves), the EU (who don't give a poo poo), credit rating (junk bonds ahoy) the pound (heh), and that their massive underestimates for the cost of forming a whole new country and all the institutions involved in that won't be TOO bad.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

cynic posted:

Scotland is a pissant little country, and if it goes independent it's going to be torn a new rear end in a top hat by the banks, businesses, the EU and everyone else.

At least the UK as a whole has existing relations, reputation and some genuine military and economic strength. Scotland will be starting from nothing, hoping in vain that their homegrown politicians will be better than westminister politicians (they won't), that they can fund a country on tourism and oil alone (you can't), and that 'everything will just fall into place' with business (who will leave in droves), the EU (who don't give a poo poo), credit rating (junk bonds ahoy) the pound (heh), and that their massive underestimates for the cost of forming a whole new country and all the institutions involved in that won't be TOO bad.

all they have to do is go a little american get a ton of guns, and make themselves a bigger tax haven than ireland.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
scotland becoming independent will leave them without a nuclear deterrent and thus powerless to resist england's militarised tax collection brigades

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

if scotland leaves are they still going to call the uk the uk. seems kinda embarassing when its not really united anymore.
It's still united with wales and the part of ireland which explodes every 10 years.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Crewmine posted:

scotland becoming independent will leave them without a nuclear deterrent and thus powerless to resist england's militarised tax collection brigades

They can nuke away, Aberdeen won't get much more radioactive than it already is, and Glasgows not going become any less of a litter-strewn wasteland.

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

No more Scottish pounds?? :argh:

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The scottish accent is literally the worst loving accent in this the whole of this gay loving earth.

Depends on what part of the country they're from. East and north? Lilting, mildly effeminate sounding and gay. West coast and Glasgow? Unintelligible and intimidating to English people by dint of them believing all Glaswegians are drunkards on the verge of lurching into extreme violence at any minute.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm wondering how the UK will cope with the lost Alcohol and Cigarette revenue. Each Scottish person apparently consumes twice his own weight in Buckfast each year.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Kuromyneko posted:

No more Scottish pounds?? :argh:

sco'ish poonds

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

TOILETLORD posted:

all they have to do is go a little american get a ton of guns, and make themselves a bigger tax haven than ireland.

If they have a working healthcare system with unfettered access to all guns imaginable I think they could take in quite a few americans.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
i was on the train to glasgow today and the wedgie in the other seat was telling his pal about a "sang-d-witch" he was eating by somehow only talking through his nose.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Parallax Scroll posted:

yes gently caress england

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
dude whats scotland ever done
gave the world a few good bands but poo poo never done nothing else for iuts

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
the enlightenment

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

RavenKrows posted:

If they have a working healthcare system with unfettered access to all guns imaginable I think they could take in quite a few americans.

51st state, then we got someone close on hand to watch the UK.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

jarvis cocker posted:

the telephone, the postage stamp, television, colour television, radar, radio, incandescent light bulbs, ATMs, sherlock holmes, peter pan, robert louis stephenson, logarithms, electromagnetism, proxima centauri, the horsehead nebula, the higgs boson, oil refineries, seismometers, tractor beams, pedal bicycles, car tyres, ultrasound, MRI, radiation therapy, penicillin, typhoid fever vaccine, lawnmowers, lime cordial, the pinkertons, the lunar calendar

pretty much everything
i think scotland will do pretty good regardless

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Sean Connery has vowed not to act again until Scotland is free, so I guess I am for independence.

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

jarvis cocker posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Clerk_Maxwell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watt

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

chaosbreather posted:

the telephone, the postage stamp, television, colour television, radar, radio, incandescent light bulbs, ATMs, sherlock holmes, peter pan, robert louis stephenson, logarithms, electromagnetism, proxima centauri, the horsehead nebula, the higgs boson, oil refineries, seismometers, tractor beams, pedal bicycles, car tyres, ultrasound, MRI, radiation therapy, penicillin, typhoid fever vaccine, lawnmowers, lime cordial, the pinkertons, the lunar calendar

pretty much everything
i think scotland will do pretty good regardless

they are like those moths that have a face pattern on their wings to fool predators, except they fool everyone with an alcohol based defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

• Locked thread