Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it?
Yes
No
Plape
View Results

• Locked thread
cynic
Jan 19, 2004

No poo poo I genuinely had this guy doing some groundkeeping for me earlier this year. If anything he was shorter, more muscular, and about 30 years older. And his accent was worse and he chainsmoked. My wife asked if he was thirsty and he asked for beer, but we only had english beer so he passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scotland also has the highest number of redheads in the world, with 40% of population carrying the recessive red hair gene

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
Why don't we ask the scottish people what they want? did anyone ever think of that??

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

chaosbreather posted:

the telephone, the postage stamp, television, colour television, radar, radio, incandescent light bulbs, ATMs, sherlock holmes, peter pan, robert louis stephenson, logarithms, electromagnetism, proxima centauri, the horsehead nebula, the higgs boson, oil refineries, seismometers, tractor beams, pedal bicycles, car tyres, ultrasound, MRI, radiation therapy, penicillin, typhoid fever vaccine, lawnmowers, lime cordial, the pinkertons, the lunar cal

pretty much everything
i think scotland will do pretty good regardless

sounds like a lie and also gay

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
It will be awesome whent the Scots discover they have to pay for poo poo like roads and suddenly being part of the UK isn't such a bad idea.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

spud posted:

I'm wondering how the UK will cope with the lost Alcohol and Cigarette revenue. Each Scottish person apparently consumes twice his own weight in Buckfast each year.

We can still get the cunts on import duty.

I hope they all vote yes so in 5 year time i can laugh at them over the boarder because they ended up with a lower standard of living than North Korea.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The scottish accent is literally the worst loving accent in this the whole of this gay loving earth.

If it means they'll go away then yes, please yes.

Also where is Goku?

Bro scotts are awesome.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

These are scots and scotland post independence

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
what will stop the scottish from just looting the new UK like vikings.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Medium Cool posted:

Why don't we ask the scottish people what they want? did anyone ever think of that??

True Scotsmen here. AMA.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

True Scotsmen here. AMA.

what is scottish to you?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

TOILETLORD posted:

what is scottish to you?

i'm sorry, i'm a bit drunk right now. cab you repeat the question?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

favorite alcohol brands, what are yours, tell me how much you love the british.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Unhinged Vulcan posted:

bobby gillespie

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?
the minute scotland becomes independent the imf is gonna start slamming its big black cock up its rear end and the whole population will be begging to be rejoin their nancy english brothers.

you heard it here first here folks, by forums dot somethingawful dot com user filipo corridoni

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Filippo Corridoni posted:

the minute scotland becomes independent the imf is gonna start slamming its big black cock up its rear end and the whole population will be begging to be rejoin their nancy english brothers.

you heard it here first here folks, by forums dot somethingawful dot com user filipo corridoni

they will just move to a non fiat alcohol backed currency. break from the IMF.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I like to identify as British rather than English (because everybody hates the English), but personally I'd like to see Scotland go independent and I know a lot of people in England who feel the same way. I think if the referendum was expanded to the whole of the UK, the result would be overwhelmingly in favour of Scotland leaving. My uncle is praying for it, so he never has to deal with the Scottish railway system in his job.

So from an Englishman: Go for it, Scotland! Don't want to be a part of the UK? Fine, we won't stop you from leaving. Just don't expect to keep the UK's currency or economic stability.

Edit: Want to see an example of how Scotland fares on its own? Look at their professional sports teams.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 31, 2014

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
I've never understood the currency argument. If they vote for independence and decide to keep using the pound or a new currency with its value pinned to the pound, what the gently caress can anyone do about it?

"Stop using our money it's not your money now it's our money stop using it."

"No."

That's the entirety of that conversation.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Plucky Brit posted:

I like to identify as British rather than English (because everybody hates the English), but personally I'd like to see Scotland go independent and I know a lot of people in England who feel the same way. I think if the referendum was expanded to the whole of the UK, the result would be overwhelmingly in favour of Scotland leaving. My uncle is praying for it, so he never has to deal with the Scottish railway system in his job.

So from an Englishman: Go for it, Scotland! Don't want to be a part of the UK? Fine, we won't stop you from leaving. Just don't expect to keep the UK's currency or economic stability.

Edit: Want to see an example of how Scotland fares on its own? Look at their professional sports teams.

i would love to see all these opinions posted in the thread on this topic in D&D :newlol:

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Kirk Johnson posted:

I've never understood the currency argument. If they vote for independence and decide to keep using the pound or a new currency with its value pinned to the pound, what the gently caress can anyone do about it?

"No."

it's always good to run a country off a currency you have absolutely 0 control over

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
Why are the SNP people all named after fish?

Alex Salmon, Nicola Sturgeon etc.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Kirk Johnson posted:

"No."

They will probably run out of Forex to stabilise/control the "Scottish Mirror pound" really quick.
Like Scotland says "The Scottish pound is worth 1 GBP" and the market go "No it isn't i'll give 0.8 GBP for one", what is Scotland going to do for people that need to do business with foreign companies with their devalued Scottish pounds? Unless Scotland literally backs their Scottish pounds with British pounds.
Then congratulations i guess, you spent a shitload of money and antagonised your largest trading partner so you can have your own "currency" but still can't control your own monetary policy.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

NihilismNow posted:

They will probably run out of Forex to stabilise/control the "Scottish Mirror pound" really quick.
Like Scotland says "The Scottish pound is worth 1 GBP" and the market go "No it isn't i'll give 0.8 GBP for one", what is Scotland going to do for people that need to do business with foreign companies with their devalued Scottish pounds? Unless Scotland literally backs their Scottish pounds with British pounds.
Then congratulations i guess, you spent a shitload of money and antagonised your largest trading partner so you can have your own "currency" but still can't control your own monetary policy.

instead of wasting money printing or minting a new currency they should just assign a value to the bottle caps of locally made beer/liquor.

ColdReaches
Oct 12, 2013

Place : Detroit
Date : 4031 A.D.

TOILETLORD posted:

instead of wasting money printing or minting a new currency they should just assign a value to the bottle caps of locally made beer/liquor.

I'd vote this guy in for a senate seat or whatever they call it there.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TOILETLORD posted:

what will stop the scottish from just looting the new UK like vikings.

an off-licence just outside carlisle

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah because they'll be pro gun and then lots of guns will go into Britain

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Independence is a terrible idea economically but an amazing chance to watch Scotland tell off England and then get hosed when the remaining UK tells them they can't use the pound and can veto their joining of the EU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Mycroft Holmes posted:

counterpoint: margret thatcher

Also remember that you will doom the remaining UK to only Conservative governments for the foreseeable future. It's excellent schadenfreude, but the Scots will realize they'll border Thatcherville 2.0 and will have to rebuild Hadrian's Wall to protect themselves.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Is there any past election where the winning party would change if the Scottish vote was removed form the equation?

go look.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Hi.

Yes.

naem
May 29, 2011

Can't they just use the euro?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

a big reason why scottish independence is popular is the tories gutting the NHS and trying to privatize it

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sorry i meant privatise

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

naem posted:

Can't they just use the euro?
So the united kingdom's seperationists unite with the european union's currency's area?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

THS posted:

a big reason why scottish independence is popular is the tories gutting the NHS and trying to privatize it

I don't know if the maths works out, but when you consider the transfer payments to Scotland/higher rates of diabetes and heart disease, the NHS in the rest of the UK might suddenly become a lot more affordable.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

well at least catalonia is like 65% pro-independence and is going to have a referendum in three months, despite the spanish government declaring the referendum illegal and that it will not recognize the results. more exciting possibilities there than this poo poo

Good. gently caress separatists. How can there be a proper nation when anyone with a trailer park can go off and live in their own filth.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
voted yes bc gently caress living in a country where Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson aren't immediately told to gently caress off the nearest cliff edge. Salmond's a tosser and the SNP are only marginally to the left of Labour but I'll take them over most of the Westminster set any day

No will probably win though and we'll be dragged along with the rest of the UK into frothing xenophobic irrelevance so v:shobon:v

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
the UK sucks and im glad its going to be dead and terrible, regardless of how the vote goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol the bbc has been trying to get farage into parliament for years now. he's probably the most frequent pol on air.

• Locked thread