Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.
Tanner McEvoy and our total absence of anybody to catch his lovely passes are going to murder my liver this season. Then Joel Stave can put his clown shoes act on and help out too :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Hed posted:

Mizzou's WRs need work.

This was a cool play:

I kind of believe in Murphy after seeing that sideline catch that was called back but woof no one else could get separation from a FCS secondary

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Your 2014 Texas Longhorns

The Good
- David Ash Bitch is back. There is some obvious rust and issues between him and the o-line but that's to be expected.
- Johnathan Gray moved like he did pre-Achilles tear. The 'lightning' portion of our 2-prong rushing attack showed the moves that let him score approximately 9 million touchdowns in high school.
- Malcolm Brown showed he is more than willing to be the battering ram that Bergeron was last year
- Our receivers went out there and not only caught passes but weren't afraid. John Harris had an early drop but afterwards became a goddamn machine.
- The defense that held Oregon to 1 TD and 3 FGs got better and smarter. Simple open field plays that were 15 yard gains last year became no gains. The defense stuck to their assignments and made tackles. They didn't do stupid things and go out their trying to lay down the boom. Our pass rush, as usual, is going to murder teams with questionable o-line play

The Bad
- David Ash Bitch is back. His arm strength still limits him to 40 yards and he still shows a tendency to overthrow a receiver by 5 yards. It's pretty obvious at this point Ash is never going to be a 'great' QB and we're going to need to rely on the running game to back people off and cover up his inadequacies.
- The o-line could be in serious trouble. iirc going into last night our line had a total of 42 career starts, 39 of which were center Espinosa, who later went out with a high-ankle sprain. Afterwards we had all the expected issues of QB/center exchange and line inexperience, culminating in a fumble in our own endzone recovered by UNT. Luckily Ash showed comfort in throwing outside the pocket which might be required if he wants to remember what his favorite foods are.

The Ugly
- The chances of David Ash getting vegetable'd this season are insanely high especially with our inexperienced line.

The Wacky
- On a 3rd and 4 we accidentally had only 10 on defense. Bedford blitz'd with 6 and we got to the QB before he could hit his open man in the flat.

Overall we can't take much away from this game since we enjoy a hilariously large advantage in ability but it was good to see us not make 6 million stupid mistakes on defense

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Farking Bastage posted:

My wife and I have a MSU (cow major)student staying with us for a semester to take a class from FAMU that MSU didn't offer. There are several cowbells in my house now. I don't know how to feel about that. We share a mutual gently caress Auburn sentiment so that's alright, I guess.

You are definitely alright with me.

It is admittedly hard to appreciate the cowbell til you are ringing it at a game.

facebook jihad posted:

I'm crankdatbatman with a new name.

This is a Toxx avatar that will change when the NFL season starts next week (thank god)

Ah, gotcha, wondered why I hadn't seen you around in awhile.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

berzerker posted:

Ahh yes, UVA just managed to lose a game they mostly dominated by unbelievably stupid play calling.

mikelondon.txt

Our defense actually looked really good for the most part. Fewer penalties than last year is a big plus. But still: turnovers, special teams looked bad.

We have 6 win talent with 2 win coaching. With slight improvement overall and a good defense... Maybe we'll be competitive this year? We're still running Steve Fairchild's Shortest Passing Plays Ever, so gently caress me gently with a cactus.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

CrumFUNist! posted:

Oregon's defense is still having problems making easy tackles on runners. They will lose to Michigan State because of this.

Yeah, that was really disappointing to see. Still racking up unnecessary penalties too.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

You are definitely alright with me.

It is admittedly hard to appreciate the cowbell til you are ringing it at a game.

Ah, gotcha, wondered why I hadn't seen you around in awhile.

I was quickly educated about GTHTSUN :)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

computer parts posted:

So, A&M did pretty well. I was worried about how the offense would fare but it seems like Sumlin has it under control. The number of WRs we have is amazing and I can see his strategy now. Our defense still needs some work but I think basically all of them are freshmen and the one dude that wasn't was responsible for those two quick touchdowns by SCAR.

It's going to be really scary (in a good way) watching this team in a year or two.

This is more or less how I feel. Our offensive production is staying strong it looks like and our defensive is still weak but I believe will be somewhat better. I think the latter will allow us to overcome those close losses we had in the past few years.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Ya'll had some busts, but were still a hell of a lot better on defense than you have been.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

go3 posted:

Your 2014 Texas Longhorns

The Good
- David Ash Bitch is back. There is some obvious rust and issues between him and the o-line but that's to be expected.
- Johnathan Gray moved like he did pre-Achilles tear. The 'lightning' portion of our 2-prong rushing attack showed the moves that let him score approximately 9 million touchdowns in high school.
- Malcolm Brown showed he is more than willing to be the battering ram that Bergeron was last year
- Our receivers went out there and not only caught passes but weren't afraid. John Harris had an early drop but afterwards became a goddamn machine.
- The defense that held Oregon to 1 TD and 3 FGs got better and smarter. Simple open field plays that were 15 yard gains last year became no gains. The defense stuck to their assignments and made tackles. They didn't do stupid things and go out their trying to lay down the boom. Our pass rush, as usual, is going to murder teams with questionable o-line play

The Bad
- David Ash Bitch is back. His arm strength still limits him to 40 yards and he still shows a tendency to overthrow a receiver by 5 yards. It's pretty obvious at this point Ash is never going to be a 'great' QB and we're going to need to rely on the running game to back people off and cover up his inadequacies.
- The o-line could be in serious trouble. iirc going into last night our line had a total of 42 career starts, 39 of which were center Espinosa, who later went out with a high-ankle sprain. Afterwards we had all the expected issues of QB/center exchange and line inexperience, culminating in a fumble in our own endzone recovered by UNT. Luckily Ash showed comfort in throwing outside the pocket which might be required if he wants to remember what his favorite foods are.

The Ugly
- The chances of David Ash getting vegetable'd this season are insanely high especially with our inexperienced line.

The Wacky
- On a 3rd and 4 we accidentally had only 10 on defense. Bedford blitz'd with 6 and we got to the QB before he could hit his open man in the flat.

Overall we can't take much away from this game since we enjoy a hilariously large advantage in ability but it was good to see us not make 6 million stupid mistakes on defense

Counterpoint: ESPN said that Ash took two big hits and kept getting up proving that he's tough, and that he's not only healed from the unhealable concussion but also became immune.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
So Michigan State didn't need a trillion defensive touchdowns to beat an FCS team. Oregon here we come!

But seriously, it wasn't exactly a revelation in any way shape or form. We crushed a team we were absolutely supposed to crush, Connor Cook looked good but did stuff that an actual defense could pounce on, and it's still unclear how much of a step back the D really took.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even realize that game got suspended... Rain, I take it?

Lightning or something. We received the kickoff nearly 3hrs after scheduled kick, returned it to their 14, and then we ran no more plays.

What a cocktease.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Notre Dame had 80 punt return yards yesterday.

They only had 100 in all of 2013.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor apparently wearing Black/Green/Black to open McLane today.

Wasn't sure at first, but it's growing on me. We'll see how I feel when I actually see it on the field.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Oklahoma destroyed a team they were supposed to destroy. Nothing else much to take from this week

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Oh yeah, and LSU managed to continue their ongoing streak of the worst commercials in higher education. I'm pretty sure this one was shot by a student with a camcorder about 12 hours before the assignment was due.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I posted this in the tail end of the other thread, but I'll put it here because I still can't understand it:

I wondered why they even bothered to line up, I had no idea who Hageman was. He made it easily though, so there's at least FG potential this year. It looks like Ol' Seamus is sticking around for kickoff duties though.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Maximum UF hilarity scenario:

Florida chooses not to make up the game against Idaho.

Goes 5-6.

Not bowl eligible.

Thunder sounds suspiciously like laughter.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Knightmere posted:

I wondered why they even bothered to line up, I had no idea who Hageman was. He made it easily though, so there's at least FG potential this year. It looks like Ol' Seamus is sticking around for kickoff duties though.

I like having a player named Seamus McMorrow.

It doesn't read like a real name

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

Oh yeah, and LSU managed to continue their ongoing streak of the worst commercials in higher education. I'm pretty sure this one was shot by a student with a camcorder about 12 hours before the assignment was due.

I remember one a few years ago touting that '90s one-hit wonder alt-rock band Better Than Ezra went there. Even though it was like one line in the commercial, that's a seriously pathetic namedrop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji0pyRmSnTY

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Maximum UF hilarity scenario:

Florida chooses not to make up the game against Idaho.

Goes 5-6.

Not bowl eligible.

Thunder sounds suspiciously like laughter.

I wish you guys still had old liverspots cruising around on his rascal so I could make fun of you.

I am a shell of my former self. :smith:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan avoided humiliation for once in its recent history.

They now travel to Notre Dame for Cripple Fight 2014.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I don't like this new trend of Alabama defenses getting exposed by running plays and quick passes. Filling gaps and covering receivers is football 101.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Fluffdaddy posted:

I don't like this new trend of Alabama defenses getting exposed by running plays and quick passes. Filling gaps and covering receivers is football 101.

Welcome to my life last year.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Les Miles at LSU currently has a winning record when down in the fourth quarter. He is, of course, the only coach to have that distinction.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

:getin:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I take it all back. College football owns.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

LeeMajors posted:

I wish you guys still had old liverspots cruising around on his rascal so I could make fun of you.

I am a shell of my former self. :smith:

Like 5 years ago UF was dominating everyone and FSU was "just one play away" going 7-6 and losing in the Nut Bowl. The Wheel turns and turns again.

I expect UF to be good again very soon, but I just don't know about this year. When I see Will Muschamp on the sidelines I get the same feeling I did every time I saw Steve Ballmer pitch a product or service: Something's not right here, and it looks like his mom cuts his hair.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT looks oddly good. D is going to get run on a bit but pass D can make up for that. O is unbelievably young(all points but 6 came from freshmen including the kicker) but it's the most offensive talent VT's had in awhile.

There's going to be growing pains offensively and defensively but I'm uh, optimistic about the team and the future. It's weird.

Also Michael Brewer looks like he's going to own bones.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
Washington Huskies

The Good
- John Ross is legit - he had a 40 yard KO return, 20 yard TD run and 91 yard TD catch in pretty quick succession.
- Technically it counts as a win
- No Turnovers
- Most people were asleep by the time the game finished, so few people saw us look mostly incompetent.
- No new injuries

The Bad
- Jeff Lindquist got the start at QB and couldn't hit water falling out of a boat. Outside of one good throw for a 91 yard TD, he was 9/25 for 71 yards. And I'm amazed he had that much - he looked just about as bad as I've ever seen a UW QB look.
- Senior heavy OL couldn't get a consistent run game going against Hawaii
- Front 7 - which was supposed to be the strength of the defense - couldn't stop Hawaii's 250 pound slow as poo poo RB from gaining 4-5 yards every time he got the ball
- Super young secondary looked and played like they were super young. I was really excited for Jermanie Kelly, he had some of the worst tackling I've ever seen
- Hawaii ran something like 27 plays in the first quarter to UW's five
- Our punt returner constantly didn't field punts so they would bounce an extra 20 yards downfield
- If Norm Chow hadn't called a WR reverse pass on 4th down on our 9 yard line we would probably have lost this game

The Ugly
- Got outplayed in all three phases by Hawaii
- Seriously, if we don't get better fast Stanford and Oregon are both going to beat us by 60 points

The Wacky
- It was a sign of things to come when on 3rd and long one of our DEs tipped a pass at the line - and it bounced directly into a Hawaii WR's hands for a first down.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Florida should have just played Idaho today in an empty stadium.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Thoguh posted:

I take it all back. College football owns.

Did he murder that dude while collecting the fumble. That's amazing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Well, Rice was like a kid on a scissor lift against Notre Dame, as everyone suspected would happen. I wasn't expecting us to not have any secondary to speak of (something Notre Dame figured out midway through the 2nd quarter and used to blow the game open), and the team looked sort of discombobulated in general. A&M is going to drop 70 on us. And then we start our conference schedule and could very easily win 8 games anyway.

I was at a bar watching it with some other alumni, and apparently we chose one of the few bars in San Francisco with Shiner Bock on tap, so that's what we all ordered of course. Around the third quarter the bar staff finally put two and two together. (Mostly because they'd had that keg for awhile and it stood out when one group was suddenly ordering a lot of it.)

Also, watching Les Miles' voodoo curse in action never gets old.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Like 5 years ago UF was dominating everyone and FSU was "just one play away" going 7-6 and losing in the Nut Bowl. The Wheel turns and turns again.

I expect UF to be good again very soon, but I just don't know about this year. When I see Will Muschamp on the sidelines I get the same feeling I did every time I saw Steve Ballmer pitch a product or service: Something's not right here, and it looks like his mom cuts his hair.

Oh for sure.

I remember when you guys were struggling and I felt sorry for you and wished you were good again. Spoke too soon. :ohdear:

Now you're awesome and I hate you again, but we are terrible.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A&M obviously looked really good. I'm not too worried about the big plays yet, because that sort of thing should be readily correctible. It is, naturally, impossible to separate "Is South Carolina bad" from "Is A&M good" after one game, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Cal has already equaled our win total from last year! That's... something!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LeeMajors posted:

Oh for sure.

I remember when you guys were struggling and I felt sorry for you and wished you were good again. Spoke too soon. :ohdear:

Now you're awesome and I hate you again, but we are terrible.

There's room on the Charlie Strong bandwagon if you renounce the 2008 title to Texas

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

go3 posted:

There's room on the Charlie Strong bandwagon if you renounce the 2008 title to Texas

This will never happen. UF was the best team in the country, loving deal with it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
USC

The good:
Our offense looked really loving good
Our defense looked really loving good outside of 2 drives (hopefully it doesn't mean we will have problems with running QBs)
A lot of freshmen played and looked like juniors out there (both of our starting guards are true freshman)
Holy poo poo, we have so much WR depth

The bad:
Need to work on ball security, we had fumbles on consecutive drives, and lost the ball after stepping out of bounds on another occasion
Those two defensive series in the second quarter kind of sucked
Andre Heidari still can't kick for distance, water wet, etc

The weird:
Never seen a team rotate offensive lineman like they were defensive lineman before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

So Michigan State didn't need a trillion defensive touchdowns to beat an FCS team. Oregon here we come!

But seriously, it wasn't exactly a revelation in any way shape or form. We crushed a team we were absolutely supposed to crush, Connor Cook looked good but did stuff that an actual defense could pounce on, and it's still unclear how much of a step back the D really took.

They played pretty soft coverage but I want to get excited about Cook.

Defensive on the other hand looked shaky early in the secondary, but I'm hoping we can just adjust that out. Oregon scares me, but if the o-line holds up, Cook stays in form, and our defense makes a few tweaks we may win.

• Locked thread