Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo BG managed to regress back to the Gregg Brandon days in very short order. Nobody can tackle at loving all. Defensive adjustments? What are those? Also getting physically dominated at the line by a loving Sun Belt (yeah yeah they're CUSA now shut up) team. What the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've had some time to digest the Friday night debacle against WKU. I'm willing to chalk some of it up to a perfect storm of new staff using a very different coaching method (Clawson was very hands-on and usually in the center of every timeout huddle, Babers keeps out of it and it seems like each position meets individually with their respective coaches), first game of the year being on the road, and a whole lot of dropped passes that otherwise would have kept us in it.

That all being said, if they don't completely dominate VMI then there are some serious concerns. Ultimately, the offense is going to be OK. Matt Johnson is still Matt loving Johnson, and the offense did start to click pretty well with the tempo Dino clearly wants (lots of snaps within 11 seconds of the play clock starting). The defense was just a disaster though and it's not as if everyone graduated last year. The underclassmen starting this year had a shitload of playing time last year so this shouldn't be that hard of a transition. I can understand an offense clicking well on quick passes, which WKU did all drat game, but holy hell guys it cannot be that hard to tackle immediately and force 3rd down.

Special teams still looked good. Return game was fine, and holy poo poo our punter has a hell of a leg. Kicker drilled one upright but then bounced back to hit a 52 yarder with no problem so he should be alright as well.

E: MAC credit where credit is due, Miami and Kent looked alright in their losses. Miami's got a ways to go but there's definite improvement from where they were. I forgot Andrew Hendrix transferred there from ND and that's got to help a ton. Full credit to Kent, who had to play not only a conference game, but a game in their division with a new coaching staff and the recent death of their center. They forced some good turnovers and gave themselves a chance against ohio's grind.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 2, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Komet posted:

Rutgers gave up 500 yards passing to Washington State. I can't wait to see what Hack does worth Daesean and Geno. Have to get through Akron first.

Akron is a bit of a tricky team. They shouldn't beat PSU but Bowden has quietly built a very good passing offense there in the last couple years. They still can't really stop anyone to save their lives but they will cause headaches.

E: RED LIGHTNING YALL

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 2, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

vyst posted:

The Rock owns you jabroni.

FINE-LYYYYYY

THE ROCK

HAS COME BACK

TO NE-BRASSSSSSS-KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah pain and gain loving owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i invite all of you who question The Rock's alleged use of PEDs to instead think about where those PEDs actually come from

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Raku posted:

NCAA GDT Week 2: The House That Mack Built

bam

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

@KirkHerbstreit
“@ESPNStatsInfo: Miami (FL): 1-for-24 combined on 3rd down in last 2 meetings with Louisville (Monday and 2013 Russell Athletic Bowl)” Wow!
11:50 PM - 1 Sep 2014

hahahaha jesus

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How the hell is Arizona on the road? Did they and UTSA agree to a home-and-home?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alouicious posted:

who doesn't wanna play in the Alamodome

fair point

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

I think they scheduled a 2-and-1, and this is the 1.

How a program like UTSA even managed to get that against a power-conference team is still a worthwhile question, but it at least makes more sense that way.

OK yeah that sounds more like it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

Les's team is powered by awkward palm clapping

he actually explained that once, I think it was something about either making a louder sound or making sure you didn't somehow hurt your fingers. It was weird Les Miles as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I'm setting it up for a multiply-by-zero joke, but he's light years better than Palmer.

Yeah, you'd nearly trip trying to clear that bar, but I caught a bit of it myself and thought he sounded pretty good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Orgeron wasn't part of the Carroll coaching tree and as such I don't think he ever had a real shot at the job

Yeah, USC has had this drive to put the band back together for years and it's just been a huge mess. I don't fault them for trying but the experiment should have ended years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2014/9/3/6101809/bowling-green-qb-matt-johnson-out-for-season

god

damnit

:suicide:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Oh whoops

Anyways yeah they probably should have at least called Chris Petersen to see if he'd maybe consider leaving his job

to my knowledge they did, but he's not a big spotlight guy, and I think at the time his kid was still being treated in Idaho.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

momtartin posted:

gently caress. There goes our season.
BUT WAIT! It gets better!

William Houston (our RB) has been charged with attempted rape.

Yeah he was suspended from the team over the summer and I think he's been kicked out of the school.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HooverDam posted:

does anyone know anything about UTSA? Do they have a chance at beating UofA? That'd be great. I read they were supposed to have a "big crowd" for the game, but then looked it up and it looks like the Alamo Dome will still only be 55-60% full :( I wonder if they're ever going to build a smaller (30-40K) stadium on campus, that would seemingly make more sense. Though I guess the city of San Antonio is probably desperate to keep that white elephant stadium full of as many events as possible.

I'd imagine it's mostly a track-meet game where UTSA eventually winds up out-gunned.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WBNS-10TV posted:

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Final preparations are underway ahead of the Buckeyes’ first home game of the season on Saturday against Virginia Tech. Fans attending the game at the ‘Shoe can expect to see a few differences on and off the field from a year ago.

One of the first things fans will notice inside the Horseshoe this year is more screaming fans. The Buckeyes took advantage of the off season and added room for 2,600 hundred new seats.

To control the extra fans, game staff members will be ready to resolve problems instantly and will let fans report issues directly to them from their smartphones. Fans can text ‘BRUTUS’ to 69050 and stadium staff or police will respond to your issue. That includes fans who are misbehaving, swearing, inebriated, or who do not sit during game play. Law enforcement officers add that they want fans to report any suspicious activity.

But before fans can enter Ohio Stadium, they have to travel to the game first - and construction in the area could change the route. Lane Avenue will be reduced to one lane between Neil and High Streets. The university is asking fans to reserve Lane Avenue for those with disabilities.

University police are also asking fans to come prepared for the weather. Drink plenty of fluids if it’s hot and bundle up if it’s cold.

If severe weather strikes, the stadium weather plan will be put into place and fans will be notified.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

:laffo: at a text going through at Ohio Stadium during a game

hahaha i wondered about that too

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

RT @APMarkLong: Gators announce season opener vs Idaho won't be made up, declared "no contest"

I didn't know you could even do that :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well i have learned a thing today

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this actually makes me wonder, what happened with schools that were hit by hurricane katrina? I'm thinking places like Tulane, LSU, LA-Tech/Monroe, etc. Did they have to no-contest any games?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Tulane played every game that season. They didn't have real home games but played "home games" in Louisiana.

That's right, didn't they find area high schools or something to use for their games?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

No games were played in New Orleans, it just wasn't possible that season. They played "home games" in Shreveport, Lafayette, Baton Rouge (in Tiger Stadium), Ruston, Monroe, and Mobile, Alabama.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Tulane_Green_Wave_football_team The smallest crowd for a Tulane game that season was in Houston vs Rice.

Wow that's a hell of a job to make it work

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

computer parts posted:

I don't really see the controversy, unless it's just "new thing = bad". Best case scenario ND beats Ohio State twice and that means they're less likely to win the Big 10; worst case scenario Ohio State wins both but that still means Notre Dame loses.

Michigan fans have been going nuts over the ND/UM series ending (although there's no way they don't set it back up for years down the line) saying ND chickened out, etc etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

The best example of that second part is people who thought Byron Leftwich was fast.

and the new york jets thinking Geno Smith was anything but a pocket passer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

This is a pretty lovely example of that though. He didn't run a lot in college beause Holgerson's offense didn't ask him to do it much, but he's fast for a QB and was recruited back when WVU was still running the spread option.

yeah, true. I'd kind of forgotten about that

• Locked thread