Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/01/video-bob-melvin-calls-the-athletics-play-embarrassing-pathetic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

1987 - Williamsport (Eastern League) Bills catcher Dave Bresnahan introduces a new wrinkle to baseball, the hidden potato. With a Reading runner, Rick Rudblad, on third base, Bresnahan returns from a time out with a shaved potato hidden in his mitt. On the next pitch he throws the potato wildly on a pickoff attempt. When the runner trots home, Bresnahan tags him out with the real ball. The umpire, unamused, rules the runner safe, gives the catcher an error, and fines him $50. He is released the following day.
One of my all-time favorites :allears:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

danny f'n descalso and peter f'n kozma both in the lineup today lol

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

danny f'n descalso and peter f'n kozma both in the lineup today lol

Kozma got a hit yesterday. That proves he's back! Just look at his season stats--he's batting .500! That's impressive. So of course he gets the call. In fact, with stats like that, one wonders why they've kept him down in the minors all season. I mean his stats there are... hang on, looking it up... now...

... oh my. Well, this is either a stupid move, or a stupid move that will happen to work out, making Matheny look like a genius.

I'm not surprised to see Descalso in the lineup; with Wong inexplicably injured and Descalso on quite a tear (for him, at any rate), that doesn't shock me.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The kids from Jackie Robinson West are at Wrigley today. :allears:

Hopefully the Cubs can quickly forget yesterday's game and go back to playing the spoilers.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Ugh, back to back ground ball singles to start the game.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
gently caress you Jon Jay :argh:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Cole Hamels is going to throw a 175 pitch no-hitter.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I think I like this Lambo fellow :cool:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Soler is unstoppable. :stare:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Cole Hamels is going to throw a 175 pitch no-hitter.

No, no, Ryno'd draw the line at 160.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I think I like this Lambo fellow :cool:

God I really hope he sorta figures stuff out this time around.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Hamels with a no hitter through 6 innings

And 107 pitches

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

No, no, Ryno'd draw the line at 160.

The announcers are acting like Sandberg wouldn't let Hamels pitch until his arm literally falls off and is forced to pitch right-handed.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Aramis never did poo poo like that when he was a Cub. :mad:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
baseball is literally the dumbest sport

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Ambassador of Funk posted:

The announcers are acting like Sandberg wouldn't let Hamels pitch until his arm literally falls off and is forced to pitch right-handed.

Apparently they are actually going to sit him down?

e: or not

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Hard to argue with that result.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
WELLY :woop:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

The Merry Marauder posted:

Apparently they are actually going to sit him down?

e: or not

Sandberg decides to care about Hamel's now?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
brewers are a loving sham (like we all knew)

i'm super excited to watch them place 4th every year for the next decade though!

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
lol mets just happened

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, I'd give every last dollar in my checking account to have a decent audio feed of the crowd at the Tigers game today when Verlander comes to the mound.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I like combo no hitter attempts because it encourages teamwork and participation.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
5 double plays in 5 innings

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

No hit orgy still intact going into the 9th.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I like combo no hitter attempts because Kenny Giles is awesome.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

A ménage no trios if you will.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Don't Run on Russ.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Gonna be real sad when Russ signs somewhere else this offseason :(

Just back a bus full of money with RUSSBUS written on it to his house and tell him he can keep the bus too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Soler! :woop:

Either a triple or a double + error.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Soler just got drilled by a foul ball. :ohdear:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Just checking into the PHI-ATL game to see a RBIBB. How long have the Braves been this bad or is it just today?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Man on third with nobody out. Cubs fail to score. :doh:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Cutch!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Andrew

Futchen

McCutchen

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Cutch :cool:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Alright here we go. Hamels, Diekman, and Giles with Papelbon trying to finish it off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Angels trolling the Detroit/Cleveland game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

454 feet on that. Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread