Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Wow.

Well, at least we didn't get swept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Where in the hell have these Cardinals been?

And Kozma... well, maybe he was just saving it all up for today's game?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

danny f'n descalso and peter f'n kozma both in the lineup today lol

Kozma got a hit yesterday. That proves he's back! Just look at his season stats--he's batting .500! That's impressive. So of course he gets the call. In fact, with stats like that, one wonders why they've kept him down in the minors all season. I mean his stats there are... hang on, looking it up... now...

... oh my. Well, this is either a stupid move, or a stupid move that will happen to work out, making Matheny look like a genius.

I'm not surprised to see Descalso in the lineup; with Wong inexplicably injured and Descalso on quite a tear (for him, at any rate), that doesn't shock me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Well now. I guess Wong ain't so hurt after all.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Scob posted:

rosenthal pitching well? im scared

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Full count... and an E3. I think it was an E3. Should have been an out, and it is in no way Rosenthal's fault.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
The Cardinals are in first place, alone, for the first time all season.

Edit: Earlier today, I bought tickets to tomorrow's game. So if anyone needs another reason to dislike the Cards, just remember that I'll be there in the bleachers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

With a negative run differential.

We'll take it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Right before the Span homer, a pickoff attempt ended with first baseman Gonzales applying a firm tag to Cabrera's nads. Well played.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Does everyone brag about their grounds crews or is it a Royals thing? I mean it's Hudler saying it and he'll praise the moths at the stadium, but it seems like they've done this every year for a long time.

Every time they roll out the tarp at Busch III, whoever is calling the game will make a quick mention of how good the guys out there are, how they practice this, and/or how important they all are. But, that's about it, and a few seconds later, there's a little game analysis, and then they cut to the rain delay crap.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I was at the game tonight, and it was a great game. Pirates fans got to see a few dingers, and Cardinals fans got to see the guy who gave up those homers handle things fairly well, all things considered. That Marte home run landed to my right... drat, he really got a hold of that one.

I also had my eye on the screen that showed the other games in progress, and I was happy to see that the Cubs have continued hitting well, much to the Brewer's chagrin.

I'm as happy as only a guy who's had three $8.25 beers can bee.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

It's sad, but true, that McCarver is probably the best of the TV announcers. and yeah I like the radio crew a lot more, Rooney is solid and who doesn't love a drunk Mike Shannon. I used to think Danny Mac was ok, but Horton has ruined him.

I'm personally not a big fan of McCarver. About half the time, I like him. The other half of the time, I get a little bored listening to Baseball 101, which is something he breaks into more often that I'd like. (Although, he does manage to tell some good old-man baseball stories, so that is a feather in his cap.)

Mostly, I could care less, as long as the game is called with some level of consistency and just the right amount of home team bias for a local broadcast. Dan McLaughlin is good for that. And since he quit the sauce, his face is much less bloated and red. Ricky Horton, though... I really don't like listening to him talk.

But radio is the best. Mike Shannon's gravelly voice sounds like a 200-year-old man drowning under a mile of phlegm, which is to say, he's got pretty much the perfect baseball radio voice.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Get out the brooms!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
But really, even though this was a series sweep, these games were all pretty good. The Cards rallied to take the first two games, and they won the third by scoring the only run of a pitcher's duel in the bottom of the 9th with two outs. And, if the 9th inning had gone the other way today, I don't know if the Cardinals could have won at all.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

William T. Hornaday posted:

Yeah, but if you threw out five random games it probably wouldn't look all that different. Of course poo poo's gonna look a lot better when you cherry pick the data and arbitrarily exclude the most weighty negative data points.

Throwing out a few outliers to present a more accurate description of a trend is nothing new. That said, if you're going to do that, it'd be more fair to also throw out the 5 biggest Cardinal blowouts and then see what the run differential is. But, regardless of that, I think the point being made here is interesting: while the team does have an overall negative run differential, that is due mainly to the team being blown out more than a couple of times. Toss some of them out, and the picture is not just a little different, it's radically different.

Does this prove that but for a few blowouts, the Cardinals are an offensive powerhouse with excellent pitching who should have won 100 games by now? No, of course not. But, that's not the point. The point is that the run differential, as a statistic, isn't very useful in judging a team's worthiness of its W/L record, or in predicting what it's W/L record should be.

Baseball, perhaps more than most other sports, lends itself to occasional blowouts. This year, there have been so many that I believe we're approaching (if not surpassing) a record of position pitchers who have come in to waive the white flag on the pitching mound. Five blowouts can totally flip your run differential, but at the end of the season, those blowouts--which you lost by a total of, say, 50 runs--only cost you 5 losses, and they count as much as five of the 1-run games you lost.

When I look at the Cardinals' run differential and W/L record, it tells me that the team has a relatively weak, possibly streaky offense with good, but inconsistent, pitching. This combination lends itself to many wins by small margins with more than their fair share of blowout losses. And that's pretty much all it tells me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Thesoro posted:

Fielded Incredibly Extremely Lousy Dumb Botched Like A Nincompoop?

Thanks. I was about to ask, and that's as good an explanation as any.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Thank you, Cubs!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I guess Matheny feels sorry for the Brewers, because he's going to start Wacha tonight. He's recovering from shoulder trouble and is on short rest.

That's not exactly a confidence-builder. But at least it's not Masterson.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Wong comes through with a timely RBI.

Is it just me, or does Peralta (Milwaukee's pitcher, not St. Louis' shortstop) look rough tonight?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Top of the 4th, and Wacha has been lifted. Given the fact that he would still be in the middle of a rehab assignment if it weren't September, that's a relief.

Now, to see if the bullpen can handle 6 innings.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Ugh.

And here we go.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

straight up brolic posted:

can't believe the cardinals gave Wacha a 50 pitch rehab start against the Brewers lol

Well, the recovery parade marches on: it's Motte, coming in with one on, one out.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Motte's loading up the bases. Usually, we leave that up to our closers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I bet he's got Derek Lilliquist searching area hospitals, looking for any more injured pitchers who want to pitch in a major league game.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
All these stranded runners... yeah, no way is that coming back to haunt us.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

This game is going to give me a heart attack.

September baseball: the Cardiac Cardinals.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
That was a BALL???

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Holy loving Bourjos!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Oh my gosh.

Did anyone else get worried when they hit the ball to Holliday just now?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Terrible inning by neshek but it works out.

Are you prepared for Trevor time?

I used a mortar and pestle to mash up some aspirin, and I have three little rails on this here mirror... bring it on!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
God drat. The ball hit the lead runner.

Your 2014 St. Louis Cardinals:
Finding New Ways Not To Score(TM).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I figured they'd review this.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Rosey's making it interesting.

Better a walk than a Lucroy RBI, though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Thank God. That was far too exciting.

The defense stole that game. But, no matter what, the Cardinals will leave Milwaukee in 1st place in the NL Central.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Congrats to Rickie Weeks on hitting 1,000 hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Is it normal that I feel a little ashamed of being happy that the Cardinals won this game?

Five runs, four hits. Three loving errors.

• Locked thread