Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Fusion Reagent Expulsion Device, F.R.E.D. (Work in Progress)

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7177

A mad Tiefling scientist created wonders in her secluded den; semi-sentient creations littered the floor around her, performing minor duties as instructed. She had many constructs around her, such as the Biotic Utility and Harvesting Device (“BUHD”), the Propulsion Assistant Device (“PAD”, or Paddy), and, unfortunately for her, the highly experimental Fusion Reagent Expulsion Device (“FRED”)

Intended mainly as a power source, the Tiefling created FRED while infusing him with (what she hoped) was an inexhaustible source of heat and energy: the near unreachable Infernal Planes, via the Infernal Combustion Engine (ICE). In that, she attained partial success: although it was… unreliable, her creation was able to produce a reaction that produced great heat through effort. As an interesting side-effect, the device also produced a level of shielding from extreme reactions, though this, too, had drawbacks, as the shielding sometimes took time to switch from project to project.
All was going well, until one day, F.R.E.D. was heating up an unstable crystalline energy reserve, when he was jostled from behind by Paddy. Unfortunately, this sparked a secondary reaction: namely, an explosion. Centered on the Giant Magic Crystal Battery. That was currently full of infernal power.

Boom.

F.R.E.D., of particularly sturdy make, managed to survive, but his ICE was damaged, preventing him from utilizing his infernal powers. F.R.E.D. was smarter than he appeared, however, and is working on restoring the engine to its full capacity (which might take, oh, 10 levels).

F.R.E.D. traveled for a time, not really running into civilization (I mean, come on, you find a town randomly when you’ve lived all your life in, basically, a cave), until he came across a small group of Eladrin. After some initial awkwardness and sword waving, F.R.E.D. managed to convince the group that he meant them no harm. He told them he had lost everything, and was just trying to make the best of things, which resonated with the Vekeshi. F.R.E.D. told them his tale, and asked for help in learning what the world… well, was.

Obviously, these Eladrin were Vekeshi, because that’s how narratives work. They taught him that the laboratory accident wasn’t just a tragedy, but a new beginning. They helped him discover the entities that he had contact with via his malfunctioning ICE. They even taught him a bit of magic, here and there. And throughout his travels, F.R.E.D. came to see things their way more than just a little. Still, time passed, and F.R.E.D. parted ways with the group, but he certainly had a soft spot for them.

They dropped him off near Risur, where he immediately stuck out like a sore thumb. But, sooner or later, if you’re big enough, someone will ask you to do some enforcement. Fortunately, it was a member of the RHC, rather than, say, Some Criminal.

He’s still a bit clueless at time, socially, but he’s picking up things quickly. Still, better for him to work on a team. A solo investigator type he is not.

Theme: Vekeshi Mystic. I'm not sure how to get it in the character builder.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Theme: Vekeshi Mystic. I'm not sure how to get it in the character builder.

We'll just have to settle for theme stuff in the combat blocks, once the game is started.

You could take War Wizard's Expertise for the bonus with arcane blade attacks, and an added -5 penalty to friendly fire.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Presenting Unit 9, warforged fighter.

Before it fell, the empire of Elfaivar was home to many wonders – among them, the ‘living machines’ of Aramil Kiirstacia. The earliest were wooden frameworks surrounding a core of living plant material, fed by alchemical reservoirs and bound with a limited intellect, but over time the artificier’s creations grew more and more complex. When the time came to send his machines to war with the humans they were steel-clad automata, fully intelligent and capable of independent growth and learning. Their freedom from mortal weaknesses like sustenance, breathing, rest or fear made them terrifying opponents – but not unbeatable ones.

As the eladrin were driven back, the pieces of what had once been Unit 9 were shipped back to Risur for study. When the finest minds of 1 OV were unable to duplicate Aramil's arcane engineering, the bits were sold off to independent collectors - and later, researchers. Unit 9's head ended up as one of the founding artefacts in the Soames Collection, an assortment of 'interesting and educational' bits and pieces gathered by the Soames family over the years to act as talking points for their guests, study objects for scholars, and occasional displays for the education of the general public.

Ophelia Soames, the most recent scion of the dynasty, nearly had a heart attack when the head's single eye lit up and it began to speak. The self-repair capabilities of Aramil's creation were greater than anyone had anticipated, even if it took centuries for it to become fully active once again.

However, Unit 9 had been listening the whole time and considering what it had learned. One of the drawbacks of creating an intelligent weapon was, it turned out, that given sufficient time and persuasion it could be convinced of the merits of other causes - and Unit 9 had decided that rather than try to fight a war that had been lost half a millenium ago its purpose was justice.

Enter the RHC.

A lot of money changed hands re-acquiring what parts of Unit 9 that the RHC could find, and some time and engineering went into repairing them to the point that his self-repair mechanisms could take control once again. Unit 9 is a shadow of what he once was, but he has a new life and a body to go with it - and the RHC have a distinctive, bullet-resistant, functionally immortal enforcer on the payroll.

e: f, b?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

potatocubed posted:

You've got two feats too many. Also look into the Essentials Axe Expertise feat, which has the attack bonus and an added reroll of a single 1 in your damage dice.

What's Unit 9's theme?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Really Pants posted:

You've got two feats too many. Also look into the Essentials Axe Expertise feat, which has the attack bonus and an added reroll of a single 1 in your damage dice.

What's Unit 9's theme?

Martial Scientist. I thought I'd added that in the notes but I'm far from an expert with the character builder.

Those two feats are skill training to get the training in History that comes with the theme and Linguist to get the bonus language (Primordial) that all PCs get. I wasn't sure how to edit it directly.

I'll look into the axe expertise feat.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
SPECIAL STUFF FOR F.R.E.D.

The package turns out to be a mechanical arm, with I.C.E. interface ports and a magnetic sheath that holds a long shard of unknown crystal. Someone has carefully tied a decorative gift ribbon around it. The crystal has a sharp edge and exceptional hardness, and hums with energy when plugged into F.R.E.D.'s systems. F.R.E.D. finds he can use it to counter close-quarters attacks, or project forceful blasts of thought at a distance.

Psycho-Thaumic Pylon
Level 4 Arms Slot--840 gp
Weapon: Rapier(Light Blade, +3 proficiency, 1d8 damage)
Critical: +1d8 damage
Special: Only a Faulkner Construct may use this item.
Enhancement: +1 to attack and damage rolls
Properties:
The Pylon is a component item, and requires five minutes to attach to your arm before it becomes usable. Once attached, the pylon crystal may be deployed or retracted as a minor action. While deployed, it occupies one of your hands and may be used as a weapon or implement. The Pylon cannot be disarmed, nor can it be removed completely unless you are willing or unconscious.
When a creature under your Warlock's Curse makes a melee attack against you, deal damage to the creature equal to your enhancement bonus.
Power(At-Will): Standard Action. As the warlock's Eyes of the Vestige power, except that you may choose a creature within 5 squares of the target to receive your Warlock's Curse or Curse damage, and you gain a +1 bonus to your Warlock's Curse damage for the attack.

Canary in a Coal Mine
Level 3 Neck Slot--680gp
Enhancement: +1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property: You gain a +5 bonus to all defenses until the end of your first turn in an encounter, as well as any surprise round.
Daily Power(Minor Action): You gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your next turn.

Really Pants posted:

We'll just have to settle for theme stuff in the combat blocks, once the game is started.

You could take War Wizard's Expertise for the bonus with arcane blade attacks, and an added -5 penalty to friendly fire.

I'm not as familiar with Dragon Magazine stuff, but yeah, good call. I'll switch it over.

potatocubed posted:

Warforged buddies~

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 11, 2015

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Are you okay with hybrids?

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Any idea how to add extra feats to the offline builder? The house rules option is just replacing my previous feat selection instead of giving me additional ones.

Also am I correct in assuming speed loader + eldritch fusillade expertise will stack and allow me to load a firearm as a minor?

Korhal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 1, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

potatocubed posted:

Martial Scientist. I thought I'd added that in the notes but I'm far from an expert with the character builder.

Those two feats are skill training to get the training in History that comes with the theme and Linguist to get the bonus language (Primordial) that all PCs get. I wasn't sure how to edit it directly.

Alright, my bad. I didn't even notice that bit about free Primordial in the language sidebar. I'll add it to the OP.

frankenfreak posted:

Are you okay with hybrids?

Hybrids are fine.

Korhal posted:

Any idea how to add extra feats to the offline builder? The house rules option is just replacing my previous feat selection instead of giving me additional ones.

Also am I correct in assuming speed loader + eldritch fusillade expertise will stack and allow me to load a firearm as a minor?

For extra feats in the legacy builder, left-click the little yellow house down where it says "Feat Choice Checklist--X choices to make." And yes, those two feats would make guns load minor. You do need Crossbow Caster first, though.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
Seb Vishailthan, Human Wizard/Spirit Mystic.

The Vishailthan family's always been rumored to have some eladrin blood. Its not something Seb Vishailthan ever worried too much about, not as a child, not as a beginning student finding all things arcane naturally easy, and not even when a trickster warlock later claimed to be a devotee of the Great Hunt couldn't touch Seb with any of her curses or spells, no matter how hard she tried.

Three months after the warlock's attack, when the full-moon conjunction pulled Seb naked into one of the oldest and most dark-crumbling corners of the Feywild... Seb started worrying.

He's not able to say much, really, about how he got back out again. Dodging trees with snake-head branches, and pleading in an unknown tongue before a tribunal of antler-helmed magistrates, and claiming a bluefire orb called the Heart of the Unborn Court, and being chased endlessly by a shadowy something across a barren mire beneath the light of a million pinprick emerald stars. Matre D'kurku, the dour old dwarf who'd been on the Homeland Constabulary as long as Seb could remember, apparently managed to follow him into the Feywild and aided his escape, and Seb figures he owes her and the rest of the Constabulary one. She refuses to tell Seb anything more about the Feywild than he already knows, though, claiming that he'll remember the rest as it's safe to do so.

Seb's personality is best described as 'erratic'. Most of the time he's boisterous, pleasure-seeking, and laid-back, not worried about focused perfection if a lazier 'good enough' will do. Hit one of his few triggers, though - menaces from the Feywild, abuse of arcane magic, or threatening his life or the health of those near and dear to him - and Seb can get nasty, driven and unhealthily relentless. Fortunately, it's not an attitude he can keep up for long.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
My urge to do a technologist artificer is getting... complicated. It seems like you can get the ability to put a million different summons/conjuration/etc out on the board at once. (Maybe I should go multiclass Shaman and roll with a little army, like a Shadowrun rigger.) I'm assuming any of these powers that place proxies for launching attacks will all draw from the same pool of ammunition? The rules seem to treat it as if your character were standing in that square for purposes of the attack.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

gently caress ammunition tracking, except for grenades. As long as you have a suitable pack of ammo on your person, you can use ranged weapon powers.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Sorry, I meant for reloading purposes. I fire my shotgun once, then have to spend an action before my little shotgun turret would be able to fire with a weapon at-will. It seems a tad goofy, but easy enough to hand wave with fluff. Also the alternative would be tracking reloading and available rounds for several different things at once, which is tedious.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes, if your Technologist pet was using a gun, you would need actions to command it to reload.

If you were willing to forgo the High Crit/Brutal 2 for your pet's attack, you could just say it's shooting energy darts or something with no reloads necessary.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 1, 2014

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
In light of someone else applying with a swordmage/warlock hybrid and pre-empting me, I think I'll go with the fungus based dwarven druid! Quick question, Pants: Is it okay to reskin various powers to be more fungus based, eg. changing damage types where they wouldn't fit. For example, the fire hawk at-will doesn't make much sense for my character's style of druidism. Would having it be the result of particularly aggressive spores or something and changing the damage type to either untyped or poison be acceptable? I'm guessing poison would be preferred since otherwise I'd be circumventing fire resistant enemies with no real opportunity cost, but it's up to you.

Without further ado, the actual character. Theme is Eschatologist (Not all of dwarf culture failed to rub off on Adrik, he's about as fatalist as the rest of them, though he takes a slightly more positive and less final approach to it. Endings beget beginnings, etc.), couldn't find a way to stick it on the character sheet (I'm afraid I'm lacking a good image, but I'll try to hunt down something):

Adrik Tarn, Protector Druid

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7181

From the get-go, Adrik was an oddity among dwarves. He wasn't very strong and he wasn't interesting in smithing or mining; he didn't pay any attention during history lessons. His parents were nearly tearing the beards off with frustration.

Luckily, he did have a surprising knack for determining tunnel stability and a downright uncanny ability to sense out promising ore veins. He may have been a failure at most things dwarven, but at least he was useful.

Unfortunately, these budding druidic talents would soon take a bend towards the decidedly less helpful when Adrik one day stumbled upon a small settlement of myconoids while scouting out a potential tunnel route. After an awkward initial scare on both sides, he soon befriended the odd but good natured fungoid people. It was here that he fully began to develop his druidic abilities under the tutelage of the myconoid druid who led the small settlement he had discovered.

Concerned that the myconoids may simply be cleared out as 'pests' by his fellow dwarves, Adrik helped conceal the settlement. When it was eventually discovered anyways, he helped them evade the ensuing extermination attempts.

Suspecting that he was in some way aiding their fungus problem but lacking any concrete proof, the dwarven leadership decided to send Adrik off with a recommendation to join the Royal Constables. While he was leery about leaving, he hardly had any real choice in the matter. The Myconoids have still managed to evade extermination since Adrik left, knowledge he'd find rather heartening to know.

While he may not have had any real choice about joining the Royal Constables, Adrik does take his duty seriously. He's started to feel like he has something to prove ever since he discovered other druids thought his particular style of druidism was weird. The ability to hone in on any nearby corpses thanks to sensing the decomposition process has proved a handy if disconcerting talent.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 1, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Reskin all you like, but no mechanical changes. Ain't no rule says a spore can't play basketball explode in flames.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Reape, Technologist Hobgoblin Artificer

Backstory to be posted once I finish fleshing it out. I also took the linguist feat solely to add Primordial to language list as an earlier poster suggested. Still deciding what to spend the rest of my gold on but wanted to make sure it was ok mechanically first. Steampunk mecha is too much fun to not do.

Edit: Whoops, technologist is the theme. Will find some way to get it onto the sheet if I can.

Korhal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 1, 2014

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Reskin all you like, but no mechanical changes. Ain't no rule says a spore can't play basketball explode in flames.

That's true. I was being close-minded. I am totally ok with exploding fungus.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Is there a feat like Melee Training but for, like, grenades?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm afraid not. It doesn't look like Warlocks or Swordmages get any ranged weapon powers, either.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
"I make a basic melee attack with the grenade."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

As long as you've got enough surges left :v:

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Do firearms require a separate weapon proficiency, or are we assuming that the ability to use crossbows is taking care of that?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crossbows.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

This picture is amazing and I'm stealing it for my collection.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Faral the Elf Rogue Gunsmith

Backstory to come when I'm not completely out of it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

potatocubed posted:

This picture is amazing and I'm stealing it for my collection.

It's a Magic: The Gathering card. They're a treasure trove of fantastic artwork, generally.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Bran Owain - Elf Hunter and Gunsmith

Bran comes from the High Bayou, in the south of Risur. Born in an isolated village, Bran was brought up according to elven traditions, and as a believer in the Old Faith. He honed his skills as a trapper in the swamps, but unable to find the meaning in life he wanted, he took to selling his services to neighbouring settlements, hunting dangerous animals, and eventually branching out into tracking down wanted men, few though they were. However, his reputation was ruined after a botched capture lead to the death of his bounty.

Shamed by his failure, Bran left the High Bayou, and drifted for a time before finding his way to the city of Flint. The city was unlike anything Bran had experienced, busy, dirty and full of industry, and the culture shock was immense, so Bran set about trying to fit in as best he could, and volunteered his services to the Flint police force, hoping to find some use for his skills.

It was during this time that Bran was first exposed to the gun, and he found himself fascinated by them. Used to the traditional elven bow, the firearm was something of a revelation, the way its parts moved, the combination of advanced alchemy and technology... Bran committed himself to mastering this new contraption, and combining it with his traditional abilities.

But even with his tinkering to occupy him, after several years of service Bran found himself restless and frustrated. Used to stalking the wilds, hunting great beasts, spending his time instead rounding up drunkards in cramped alleyways was maddening. So, Bran put in his application to the Royal Homeland Constabulary, hoping for a chance to track more meaningful and challenging quarry, and a chance to roam again.

Harthacnut fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 3, 2014

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Beriah Vered, Deva Paladin w/ Yerasol Veteran Theme

"Today we face a being that has transcended the mortal coil, men, but she's not the only one who has, or who will! If we win today, we transcend myth and legend, and take our place as heroes, gods! We demonstrate our valor not only to the world, but to every living being in the generations after us! Today...is OUR DAY!"

It was rousing, inspiring even, the general's thundering battlecry, but Beriah Vered was trying to focus on remembering all of his training. Before him stood a battleline of hardened Eladrin warriors, armor shining like the rays of the sun, led by a goddess with radiance to match. Her swords hung at her side, and even from the distance they stood, he could feel her gaze, her power. This was ridiculous, he thought; who in their right mind would possibly try to fight divinity?

Then the order to charge was given, and he did it anyway. The battle was pitched, fighting, screaming, dying; what was it all for? Power? Glory? Vindication? It didn't really matter now that they were here, in the thick of it. After an eternity, he heard a sound he'd thought he'd never hear; the death gnash of a divine being. Srasama was run through, and from her there came bright light, a coronic supernova like no one on that battlefield had ever seen. The light engulfed Beriah, and he thought he was done for...

--

"Captain, the Danorian dogs are just off the port bow. Warships, looks like; they're ready for a fight." The first mate states, peering through his eyeglass at the masts of their hated foe, the dregs of Danor. Pirate scum, they wouldn't take Risurian islands without a fight.

"Well, so are we." Captain Beriah Vered replies. He descends the decks of his ship, the S.S. Rebirth, armor clinking as his commands shouted louder. "Hard to starboard, man those cannons, don't let me catch you sleeping on those sails! We've got dogs on our port, and we're ready to put them back in the kennel!" The men scream their assent, his loyal crew to the end. From lowly deck-swab, Beriah worked his way up to captain of a warship in the Fourth Yerasol War.

But this time, they'd have to be loyal to the bitter end, it seems. The Danorian ships couldn't stand the Rebirth's superior firepower, but they were surrounded; outgunned, and out of time. The Rebirth splintered, men leaping to their deaths in the ocean, to drowning, whatever monsters lurked in the deep, let alone what would happen to them in the Danorian ships picked them up. Captain Beriah Vered stayed with his ship, even as it capsized and found its home in the icy depths. As water flooded the chamber he was in, he closed his eyes. Maybe they'll remember me as a hero, he thought; maybe I'll end up in a story or a song. Maybe, the afterlife will take me back...

--

The afterlife would have to wait. "Ah, he's awake. Look at that discoloration of his skin; no wonder he kept that armor on all the time..." Beriah could barely make out voices.

"Come on, Niles, he's a decorated war hero. Obviously, his lifetimes of experience are from his racial heritage; a deva shouldn't have to disguise themselves in full plate!" Another voice replies.

"But maybe one who doesn't want to remember who he was, one who needs to hide behind a metal mask, does..." By now, Beriah was upright, awake, rubbing his head with his mighty blue hand. His first question, "How long was I out? Where's my ship? What happened to the Danorians...?" Was more like a multitude of questions.

"The Danorians? Ah, he's been out since the war, I see." The voice he recognized as Niles spoke first. "Listen, Captain...Vered was it? It's been...well, it's been seven years."

"Seven years?" He can only parrot incredulously.

"Right, the war's over, Captain, but we still need your expertise." The other voice explained. "Someone with your loyalty and experience, someone who's been gone for long enough to remain just outside of the public eye...yes, the Royal Homeland Constabulary needs your help, Captain."

It was a lot to take in, but it wasn't the first time Beriah Vered had to wake up as someone new, somewhere else, in a different time. He nodded at the two...doctors? Scientists? Whoever they were, they seemed to represent his former homeland of Risur, and if they needed his help, he would answer the call...

I'll edit the stuff onto the sheet when I can, for sure, but I just wanted to write a bunch of words first...the tl;dr is that he was there at the end of the Second Victory, fought in the Fourth Yerasol War, got to captain, and now he's in the present day helping the RHC. Hopefully that's not too implausible, considering he's a deva, but I can obviously adjust stuff as I need to or as requested. 4e is cool, steampunk is kind of cool, so they're probably two great tastes that go great together, right? :v:

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 2, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Are dragonmark feats allowed?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Androc posted:

Are dragonmark feats allowed?

Not yet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thinking of making an Ioun/whatever other knowledge god serving Avenger who seeks to halt anyone who would halt the progress of Flint. Would that be acceptable as a member of the Guard?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sure.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sander, Drow Avenger with Martial Scientist theme

Eighteen years ago, an empty ship was found on the shore of Sid Minos. Inside, were four dead bodies of a strange race of black-skinned Eladrin, with only a living baby still suckling on the breast of his deceased mother. While those who found him were divided on whether to kill this cursed child or to raise it as a miracle baby, the Hieratch who ruled the island decided: Whether the child would be good of evil it was impossible to know, but if they raised him into the path of justice, then they could see the true character of the baby.

And thus, Sander was raised on a small monastery on the island. Taught on the basics of the Clergy dogma, he also has shown a natural talent for combat, which convinced the friars to send him to one of the many military academies in the city once he was twelve, and there the basics of the mysterious sword art of the Avengers, one of the militant orders that fought against the deep terrors inside the tunnels. After years of training, the young dark Eladrin was now a full fledged warrior, and while he still lacked real experience in battle, his staunch devotion to the faith convinced most of those who distrusted him.

Yet Sander still had a lingering doubt in his heart. During his entire life, he never met someone who looked like him, and still felt like a stranger on a strange land. The whisperings of something stirring at Risur gave him the chance he was waiting for, and he petitioned to leave Sid Minos to work alongside the Royal Constabulary as a guest warrior, although the strange technology on Flint still makes him somewhat uncomfortable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unarmored Agility would give you +2 to AC.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Unarmored Agility would give you +2 to AC.

Argh!

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Matías Castaneda Delatorré, disgraced scholar and pistol saint

The son of a famed Berian general, Matías' future in the martial sciences could have been guaranteed on family name alone. He was, however, an exceptionally gifted student with a flair for direct combat drills and a frankly shocking propensity towards violence that caused more than one instructor to write concerned letters to the administration. Minor issues aside, Matías was expected to finish his thesis on close-quarters firearms combat successfully. None of his instructors expected him to pursue higher academia, with more than a few darkly muttering that he'd probably be happier performing involuntary surgery at bayonet-point in some godforsaken trench somewhere.

That isn't quite what happened.

At a slower rate than most could notice, education changed Matías. After a life-changing encounter with a fellow student, his questions began to grow broader and broader; no longer satisfied with the how of violence, he wanted to know the why. Though his institution was the most prestigious in all of Ber, its few sociologically-focused professors rarely went beyond the itnricacies of psychological warfare and propaganda. It was, at its heart, dedicated to the production of skilled but ultimately unthinking soldiers. Matías' thesis unabashedly called it out as such, with particular attention to how specific policies furthered racial division between Ber's various factions. To put it lightly, his defense did not go well, and after refusing to recant Matías was summarily expelled.

Intent on continuing his education on his own terms, Matías set off on a journey to study violence in all its forms. In a Danorian back street, he drew and fired in defense of an unarmed civilian set upon by criminals; his gun was unloaded, but the shot rang true. As Matías pursues his research, a new power has awoken in him. For now, he serves with the Royal Homeland Constabulary. But the pieces begin to come together, and Matías scents something like thunder on the distant horizon.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Bharhash the Axe, (Formerly) Retired Warlord and Executore dola Liberta

(It's kind of annoying to find a green dragonborn that doesn't look bad or just like a palette-swapped red one, so have a lizardman)

Bharhash Nadarr was born in what would become Ber 57 years ago. He was a freshly anointed adult, a warrior of his small clutch, when the news came from the great cities that another warlord with dreams of conquest had proclaimed himself ruler of their lands. Bharhash expected that the visiting patrol would attempt to force his clutch into service, an effort he'd seen driven off before. He was surprised when they instead extended a hand in friendship, with an open offer - an offer instead of a demand! - for the able-bodied dragonborn among them to lend their blades to the Executores dola Liberta, a new organization dedicated to protecting the freedom of those unable to claim it for themselves. Bharhash, while hardly a moral opponent to the practice of slavery, joined in a bid to safeguard his own freedom, and that of his clutch.

Over the decades, Bharhash's position as an Enforcer revealed abuses of power that his clutch could never have imagined. The creation of a nation brought predators far more insidious than the ones that only struck with fang and talon, and he began to relish the opportunity to bring the worst offenders to heel with sanctioned violence. He rose through the organization swiftly, a natural leader of his fellows, equally as skilled at ordering the disparate tribes of beastmen as he was at cracking skulls. He began to grow bolder with his punishments, dragging nobles and merchants the Enforcers ignored out of fear or pragmatism into their town's square and crippling them with a few well placed axe blows as he roared their sins to the crowds.

Bharhash finally bit off more than he could chew when he beheaded a Clergy priest in a haze of fury after the Clergyman was found to be deliberately fostering racist intentions among the tribes, seeking to use them against each other to weaken Ber's opposition to the faith. The priest was sadly less of a rogue element than Bharhash believed, and he awoke one night to find an assassin slipping into his room through the window. A brief, frenzied fight drove off the assassin, but left him hobbled. His weak leg was the official reason for his dismissal from the Enforcers, but he knew quite well it was the zeal that rankled too many nobles that truly lost him his post.

Natural draconic resilience, modern medical treatment, and a few years' light labor turned a lifelong disability into a bum knee that aches before rainstorms, but Bharhash knew better than to try to enlist anywhere in Ber again. The Clergy may have largely forgotten about him, but bureaucracy never forgets a slight. Not content to spend the rest of his life tossing drunks out of taverns, he enlisted in the Royal Homeland Constabulatory of Risur, seeking to protect the weak once more, no matter which nation they call home.

(Docker's a more appropriate Leader theme for Bharhash than Skygazer, so I assume he's made a name for himself in Flint with his "war stories." I'm not too experienced with 4e, but I've played a bit of it before, so I'm not a total newcomer to the system.)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Because I'm the kind of guy who can't settle on anything, I've got a question to ask. The book says you can make bayonets with daggers and guns to basically be wielding both at the same time. Can I bayonet a wand with with a gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Really Pants posted:

You're also allowed to have bayonets, weeaboo gunblades, and other firearm/melee weapon combos, within reason. No Greataxe/Target Pistols, for example, unless your explanation is funny. You could also have a firearm/implement, refluffed as energy crystals or thaumic channeling rails or whatever. Please make a note of any combined weapons in your submissions, and remember that the firearm half and melee/implement half are still treated as separate items with separate enchantments.

Pretty sure that means yes, and the mental image it conjures is slaying me. GUN, WAND. GUNWAND.

• Locked thread