Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Winey's vineyards are in Crisillyir, but he spoke with a Risuri accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

LightWarden posted:

Sounds like some history checks are in order at least to start with this.

Also, Bran needs to write Leone Quital's name on a bullet.

Unfortunately I can't make vendetta bullets until level 5, but I suppose I could do it just so I can make the eventual joke about there being a bullet out there with his name on it :v:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Ah, right.

I wonder if this ties into the other conspiracy thing in the prophecy the Duchess spoke about.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

What's the Black Serail?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Really Pants posted:

In AOV346, the peak now known as Cauldron Hill was taken over by a coven of witches who called themselves the Black Serail. For decades they terrorized the countryside with unspeakable magics from the Dominion, the demon empire that was destroyed by Triegenes and his followers a thousand years ago. The Serail was destroyed by King Lorcan and Gianna di Enzyo in AOV399, but Cauldron Hill remains unclean to this day.

Unspeakable magics such as Lympha.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Next part of it is also interesting:

Really Pants posted:

An entire book of the Nonateuch is devoted to parables of his life, but the true history of Triegenes remains one of his Hierarchy's most closely guarded secrets. Cha does recall one other book, quietly borrowed from a stockpile of banned literature: a copied diary of the godhand Gianna di Enzyo, chronicling the siege of Cauldron Hill. It was a terrible war; between their power to traverse the Bleak Gate through secret portals of rusted iron, and a maze of tunnels dug into the mountain itself, the witches of the Black Serail were able to bypass the blockade and wreak havoc among the populace almost at their leisure. The regiments, recruited from the common folk to supplement the small numbers of the Royal Marines, were wholly unprepared for the enemies they faced: phantoms and abominations that defied description, some massive enough to shake the earth even from the other side of the veil.

Dama Gianna does make mention of a "demon oil:" the distilled essence of the Bleak Gate itself, used by the Serail as a weapon and as fuel for their unholy rituals. The godhand was loath to detail the properties of this blasphemous substance, even in private; she says only that if people have died near a patch of the oil, then it must not be burned at all costs.

Anything here sound relevant to recent events?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Oh hey, totally forgot about this lead.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. A combination of working too much and not having much to contribute to the current situation. But I'm still here if ya'll need me.

Really Pants posted:

I have some more character questions for some of you. I don't need any answers right away, I'll just forget if I don't ask now.

whoda thunkit: Tell me about Keegan's old regiment.

As the Fourth Yerasol War dragged on, it became evident that even with the civil regiments in full readiness, the kingdom simply did not have the numbers in arms to stand against the legions of the Republic. In response, King Aodhan drafted the Repatriated Service Act. Prisoners of the Crown who had demonstrated good behavior and sound mind would be permitted to volunteer for military service, and work off a generous portion of their debts to society.

The repatriate regiments utterly failed to live up to the king's ideals. Desperate for anything that could turn the war effort around, the Admiralty turned a blind eye to repat soldiers living and working in conditions that would have been deemed unfit for stray dogs. A few overseers delighted in sending repats right into the maw of Danoran guns, boasting that no matter which side died, it would be a win for Risur. There were even rumors of prisoners being forced to volunteer in droves, or being allowed to serve even though their crimes had been violent and heinous.

Was Keegan's navy life that brutal, or was it relatively decent--at least, as decent as warfare will ever allow? What was the name of his regiment?

Keegan was brought in late in the war, drafted in lieu of being thrown in jail for thievery. The ship he served on was crewed mostly by other criminals who'd been recruited from similar circumstances. At this point in the war all of the good ships were either crewed with more honorable veterans or at the bottom of the ocean so his ship The Melody (nicknamed Malady) was a wreck that stayed afloat on a mix of patchwork repairs and pure spite. The men he served with were rough but they all understood that the only way they were surviving this war was by relying upon each other and the overseer was mostly concerned with drinking himself to death before the enemy could have the honor. Keegan was spared much of the more hazardous work below deck due to having exceptional sealegs, so much of his time was spent on the deck running back and forth with ammunition for gunners and supplies for those doing emergency repairs. He spent a lot of time dodging bullets and being pelted by the elements but was always happy not to stuck in the engine room constantly breathing in smoke or being scorched by squirting oils and flying embers.

Coming in near the end he wasn't involved in very many skirmishes but his ship would be a part of the vanguard for a couple of battles and its survival was attributed more to luck than skill. All things considered though, upon speaking with other veterans, Keegan realizes that it could've been much worse. He remembers those he served with fondly even if many of them returned to lives of crime after being discharged. Those that perished he uses as focuses for the energy within him, especially in battle. His Ki focus are the medals he earned saving those he could. He keeps the medals in an inside pocket of his shirt, close to his heart although he rarely brings them out for others to see the weight of them is a constant reminder of how fleating life is and how much you have to push to survive in this world.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Whew! So! I think that covers everything!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Ok, unless someone objects soon, we're going to talk to the boss.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So are psionics a known thing in this world? Because so far a lot of arrows are pointing at psionics.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Psionics are known, if little known, and they do frustrate the established definition of magic by making no measurable perturbations in the thaumic field, but Leone Quital's magneto powers were very obviously magical to F.R.E.D. He just didn't show any ability to sense metal.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 9, 2015

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

LightWarden posted:

Ok, here's just about everyone we've spoken to since the investigation started.

-Delft
-Sgt. Deborah Macon
-Lebrix
-The witnesses
-Hostel staff
-Officer Hockworthy
-Bozley
-Dr. Camp
-Professor Kindleton
-Cillian Creed
-Cigarette Smoking Man
-Mayor Reed MacBannin
-Nilasa's Ghost
-Macon's Watchmen
----------PARTY SPLIT (So most of these guys wouldn't have the chance to hit all of us)--------
-Bran's contact at the Silver Heart Lodge
-Heward Sechim
-Derek Goodson
-Travis Starter
-Renard
-Morena
-Ex-Captain Darius Stern
-Danisca & Blander (except these two; we talked to them with the six of us present)
-Officer Donnerschritt
---------END PARTY SPLIT------
-Duke King & associates
-Deorn
-Scaglietti
-Coast Guard
-Choke worker
-Random children
-Kell thugs
-More Kell thugs
-Dr. von Recklinghausen

Most of these names probably can be discarded, but here they are.

So we've narrowed the field to more than 23 people.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some more questions:

Androc: Tell me about Haldain's magic.

To say there as many different ways to wield magic as there are stars in the sky, would be a gross understatement. A simple phrase like "casting a light spell" can encompass thousands, millions of different processes. One mage might have exhaustively studied the Hermetic Theorems of Solomon, learning the words and gestures that resonate in the mana around him to produce illumination. Another might venerate the local light spirits in prayer to earn their favor and service. Another may have struck a bargain with an inscrutable lord of the Dreaming, trading away the ability to wiggle her ears in exchange for the ability to glow. Still another might know the language of photons, and tell filthy jokes to make them flush with embarrassment.

What is the nature of Haldain's arcane might? He seems to possess a great deal of knowledge that may be...well, shady. Is it taboo among the eladrin or the Unseen Court? Does he have a patron who gives him power? If so, does his patron ever expect favors? Is his aging natural for an eladrin, or a by-product of his magic?

Harthacnut: Tell me about the thing in Bran's face.

What is its deal?

That's...that's all of it. For now, at least. I want to read what you planned for it before I ask anything more detailed.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 19, 2015

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Power brought no peace to the rulers of Elfaivir. Even as the world seemed to fall to its knees before them, paranoia drove them to desperation as they sought greater and greater power, regardless of the cost in coin or lives. Far from the eyes of their citizenry, they developed plans for a terrible weapon which would ensure Eladrin dominance forevermore. Haldain is a component of that weapon.

At the time, Haldain was a promising young agent of the empire; he was chosen for participation in the project due to both his unwavering patriotism and his innate magical properties. Haldain was a sorceror, gifted since birth with an exceptional personal upwelling of the energies which drive all magic. This was the base material necessary. The most brilliant magicians and scholars of Elfaivir then performed surgery on the contours of Haldain's soul. As a sound of the perfect pitch will shatter glass, so Haldain himself is now tuned to resonate with something other. Even to those that created him, the source of Haldain's power was debated; a place beneath even the Bleak Gate, the shadows cast by the light of first creation, the darkness of the place between stars. Regardless, Haldain is a living conduit of that power, and it is its influence that grants him both his auspiciously long lifespan and his prowess in combat.

The amount of raw power that Haldain wields is not particularly exceptional, though his methods are peculiar to say the least. Similar to many wizards and sorcerors, Haldain channels power through carefully constructed spells; sigils, signs, and seals, inscribed on the underlying firmament of his being. A more experienced caster would find his handiwork error-ridden to outright nonsensical; lines of power flow in the wrong direction, familiar glyphs are inverted, impenetrable formulae are scrawled in the syntactic structure of prayer. These spells, powered by Haldain's mutilated soul, manifest an unseen, annihilating force tinged with terrible hunger.

There are few, if any, left alive who could successfully identify Haldain's power and he intends to keep it that way. Whatever Haldain may know about Elfaivir's plans for him- about the other pieces of a weapon that would dwarf the great malice- he intends to take to his grave.

...Let me know if I need to dial it back a bit. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So it was a secret project? Was it developed in response to the Danoran crusades, or in some other time for other reasons? Why was it not completed?

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

It was absolutely a secret project, kicked into overdrive by intelligence from Danor. The two countries were engaged in an arms race; Danor won with the great malice. The ensuing chaos and instability scuttled the project.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

It's a spirit, as you've probably guessed. Growing up in the High Bayou, Bran is aware of the spirits, his family totem etc. (hint: it's the raven :v:, and pays them his respects in accordance with the Old Faith, but has no experience in dealing with them answering back. As such their attempts to communicate have so far manifested as little more than indecipherable lights and minor phenomena. Having left behind the people who could actually teach him to deal with it, the spirit's been trapped for years with someone who, as far as it understands, ignores or resists its guidance.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why is it attached to Bran? Why can't it leave?

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

'Trapped' was the wrong word for me to have used, that's my bad. Traditionally, Bran's family have asked the raven to guide and protect their children at a ceremony after birth, and in Bran's case, he's actually had a minor spirit answer, bonding to him as a guardian/guide, so the two are linked, even if Bran doesn't know it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Really Pants posted:

LightWarden: Tell me about Takara's family.

Many of the orcs of Ber count themselves with great pride as part of a clan, with allegiance to a chieftain. Does Takara have a clan? If so, do they have high or low standing in the great council of clans, the Baturrillo? Is Takara a first-generation half-orc, or does she have half-orcish ancestors? Have humans or orcs ever tried to give her trouble for her mixed heritage? Is there a reason why Takara doesn't have or use a surname or clan name?

Years ago Valerio Durante was born to the Durante clan, a relatively average clan by orc standards save for their enthusiastic study of battle and conflict in many forms. As the third child of his family there wasn't much expected of him so as he grew he decided to follow the traditions of his ancestors and set off into the world to make something of himself. Already skilled with his hammer and possessing a good head for battle, Valerio's adventures drew the attention of a wealthy Danor industrialist who was aiding Bruse's modernization efforts. Out of gratitude for the young orc's services the industrialist helped him enroll in one of the top war academies of Danor. An outsider among the native students, Valerio found common cause among students such as the Elfaivaran skirmisher Shaurya Varrier, the Risuri warrior Mariana Taylor, and the Danoran oddity Céleste Berger. As the years passed, their studies continued and their relationships deepened, Valerio realized that he was developing strong feeling for the daring and skillful Risuri... and that he wasn't the only one with this affliction. Valerio wouldn't back down, so they decided to settle the matter as true warrior scholars through a winner-takes-all duel; Mariana won. After graduation Mariana returned to Risur with her family in tow, and they worked as teachers for those who sought them out. While they relied on the patronage of the wealthy, they still would offer lessons to poorer students in exchange for service, be it to the family or the community. Years passed, students flocked to learn from them, Takara Nithya Amarante Taylor-Durante and her siblings were born and things were going fairly well, so the family eventually decided to take advantage of the opportunities involved in the development of Ber.

Mariana's parents never approved of her bohemian lifestyle nor the people she chose to share it, and they parted on poor terms, so Takara hasn't much contact with her mother's side of the family and doesn't usually use her human surname while in Risur. Valerio's parents had similar mixed feelings about his choice in partners but they eventually grew to respect Mariana's strength and skill as a warrior. Growing up with her family and the assortment of students, scholars and odd adventurers that drifted in and out of their lives gave Takara a pretty cosmopolitan approach towards things like race, love and kinship but things don't really work out quite so much once she gets away from home. Even in Ber as a child she'd catch flak from other orcs for being what amounts to a smaller, scrawnier orc, and that was in addition to the pre-existing ideas about orcs possessed by other races of Ber (and to be fair, it's not like orcs didn't talk poo poo right back). In Risur it's not much better, since there are people will see her as either an orc or a tainted half-breed and assume the worse, which isn't really helped by the fact that her job can involve a fair amount of violence and most people wind up more concerned about the fact that she dislocated someone's arm rather than the precision and technique she used to do it. In Ber her family used to move around every so often to work at a new school and thus rarely got too deep into local politics, but they frequently shared space with scholars, artists and philosophers, letting them talk and/or punch it out in true panoply/Guerro fashion. They're often considered oddities in the community, but are usually at least tolerated by most, and respected by those with interests in martial skill, learning, exchange, or foreign ideas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Good stuff. I was just about to ask you again.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I hadn't forgotten, I was working on it while I figured things out.

Harthacnut, since your aspect stances are at-will I don't think there's anything stopping you from picking a stance and roaming around with it active (the Pouncing Lynx stance in particular basically requires you to have it in play at the start of the fight for the initiative bonus). Assuming there are no long-turn side effects I'd recommend keeping your Seeking Falcon aspect up when not in battle, since it provides a bonus to speed while wandering around and a bonus to Perception, which not only boosts your radar abilities but also your initiative at the start of the fight since you're a wood elf. You can always switch to another stance at the start of your turn as normal (or switch gears ahead of time if there's a fight coming up and you want to preserve your minor action).

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

If Really Pants is cool with it, I wouldn't say no to even more perception

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sure, it's all within the rules.

LightWarden posted:

Assuming there are no long-turn side effects

If power bonuses persist for longer than three hours, discontinue use and consult a healer.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

I might have the patch over the wrong eye

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, but with a score of 20 after the power bonus is factored in you still gave us good information that told us what's going on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

whoda thunkit where you at

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you see anything that looks like a car or a glass-and-concrete office building in your overhead view of Flint, it's because you have been cursed by Cauldron Hill and your head is about to explode.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 27, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

One day I hope to find out why Orokos is so determined to gently caress Bran on initiative rolls. Does it just think Sense Threat is OP?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Bran does have his power bonus to Perception from his stance though, so it's +2 higher. Not that it matters in this case.

Going to need knowledge checks to figure out which thing we need to slam first and/or if we need to throw the sunrod away. There's a lot of weird statuses floating around right now and I'd rather we not figure this out the hard way.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Perception check might also help.

Right now my first instinct is to gun for the hag and drag her back to Keegan so he can finish her off.

Also of note is that Jones is standing three squares away from what could be a 140 foot drop.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

Hey, at least having Sense Threat means I didn't end up down with Nevard like I would have normally with that roll :unsmith:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Ok, hag is down to 13 HP and is granting CA due to being prone, so Keegan can finish her off with at-will one blow, might be harder for FRED or Haldain.

Could still use a Religion check if these guys are undead, or an Arcana check if these guys are spirits in order to figure out what they do. In particular I'm not liking the look of Jones' water aura or the lionsnake's snapping fangs against such a tightly packed party, but I think Bran could take care of that guy.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Don't forget Bran's +4 bonus damage from Cha.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
I'm not going to be able to post until sometime tomorrow afternoon. If you want to move the scene along before, Pants, then you can take my turn or delay it whatever works for you.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Keegan can use Lion's Den move technique to shift one square SW to M17, gaining a +1 power bonus to defenses, then attack the Hag with CA from the prone, so it'd be either 1d20+7+2+1 vs. 17 Reflex for Lion's Den attack technique, or 1d20+10+2+1 vs. 19 AC for an MBA. MBA is slightly more accurate but Lion's Den will also let him autodamage any creature that ends up in an adjacent square, and after Cha's bonus damage and Keegan's flurry (plus ki focus expertise vs. bloodied enemies) any hit by Keegan will be enough to finish off the hag.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

LightWarden posted:

Don't forget Bran's +4 bonus damage from Cha.

Yes, please do not forget my buffs! They are literally what I am built around! Or I will be sad. And possible rebuild as an Invoker.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

I thought the buff only applied to people who were adjacent when you used the power, I moved next to you hoping I could get in on the buffing next turn :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Yeah, no problem, I think this was more of a general reminder. Sorry for the confusion. At least Nevard has his buff when he does... something.

Speaking of: what can he do?

• Locked thread