Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I feel like I should probably ask, is it actually appropriate to attempt to use arcana for minor acts of magic like what I just posted or is it intended to only represent abstract knowledge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Assembling magical explosives from scratch wouldn't really be a minor act, but sure.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Point. I guess I just want to know where the line of 'bullshit, that requires a ritual' is.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I just used the appropriate too for the job.

WITH MAGIC

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

God drat it, Eberardo.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
It appears that it's contagious.

Do people get saves when thrown into acid vent spaces?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Cirno, attack roll hits are "equal to the specified defense or higher" (RC pg 214), so you're good.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Thanks for the catch!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Shouldn't Haldain be up here with us? He got an Initiative roll of 18, which is less than Bran's 19, so that should push him up to 20 ahead of the others?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Everyone the roof is clearly cursed by the dice gods

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LightWarden posted:

It appears that it's contagious.

Do people get saves when thrown into acid vent spaces?

Yes.

LightWarden posted:

Shouldn't Haldain be up here with us? He got an Initiative roll of 18, which is less than Bran's 19, so that should push him up to 20 ahead of the others?

Whoops, you're right. I forgot all about Sense Threat. Haldain is also up.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
By all means, continue to bunch up for the fire wizard.

I think the knowledge check required for these guys would be Nature (it is still weird that natural humanoids are identified with that skill).

Also, for FRED and Haldain: Your Armor of Dark Majesty also comes with a daily that lets you put your curse on any one enemy you can see. I'm pretty certain you can use both it and your regular curse in the same turn, since they're two different powers.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Well, that didn't quite go according to plan. F.R.E.D. and Keegan are my only hope for not wasting an action point like a chump.

e: Actually, wait, which group of minions is the third one? It's probably only worth the action point to try and stuff their turn if it's the one on the left.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Group 1 is on the roof. Group 2 is on the left with Valando. Group 3 is on the right.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

...Eh, whatever. Dead minions is dead minions, and spending the action point now means I get to take advantage of the damage next turn.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
This is where Bran landing that shot would have helped, because then he wouldn't have been able to close in.

Anyways, you have APs and dailies, now is the time to use them.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Also, Keegan has 17 HP left and is going to take 17 damage at the start of his turn:

5 from Inferno bolt zone
7 from starting adjacent to Wall of Fire
5 ongoing fire from dragonbreath

So someone is going to have to do something about that.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
That someone might actually be Keegan, he does have Second Chance available as an immediate action.

Edit: And Cloth Armor of Sudden Recovery. This is going to be great, should he survive long enough to use it.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 28, 2015

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
So, I can action point to hit the two minions that are marked, which would allow us to potentially clear the field of minions, or I can mark/curse Valando and start working on threat management. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of dragging Valando through the fire wall, cursing him, marking him, action pointing, hitting him.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

With the admission that I am wildly biased, spending the action point to clear the field immediately shuts down a lot of potential damage that's probably more than what you would get from messing with Valando.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Wall blocks line of sight, so I don't know if you can go after him without AoE.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Wait, is there a way for me to hit both minions?

I could mark Eberardo, get out of the fire, and pop a minion for my turn, with someone else popping the other minion. Save my action point until I can see more people?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
I'd get out of the hotbox before you all burn to death, but that's just me.

My line of thinking is this:

We're dealing with an elite soldier, an elite artillery and a pile of minion artillery (?). Both elites have just used their only APs, one to considerably better use than the other, and I suspect both have used their encounter powers. That said, they're still elites, which means they probably have one or more multiattack options in the form of a standard action "make this attack, followed by this attack" or some form of "gently caress everything" AoE or have minor action abilities to use their dragon breath multiple times per encounter. Daze will shut down the latter option at least, but won't do as much about the former options.

Then we've got the minions. My question is what can they do? They can at least shoot at us, so we can't out-range them very easily, but what does Flame Ward do? I'm almost certain that it allows them to function in fire zones without taking damage, but a big concern is whether or not it also lets them see/move through the wall of fire. If it doesn't, it means that the wall has effectively blocked off our western flank for a round because those guys can't go around it to get at us without facing total concealment if we stick to the northeastern part of the map. If it does, then they can shoot us without total concealment while we can't do the same without using an AoE ability like Cursebite, which we can't use to its fullest effect without those two minions dying, but we can't actually get at the western part of the map with the wall of fire in the way unless Bran used Inevitable Shot at some point to bank around it or kill the cursed minion when he missed the wizard, but I think it's too late for that.

Everything here seems to be some sort of Natural Humanoid, so someone who can make Nature checks to figure out what we're dealing with would be very useful, and maybe an Arcana check could tell us about the wall of fire ability (if the arson minions can bypass it or see through it, and if it's an encounter power or an at-will power for our fire wizard).

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
If I can use my second chance vs the arson bolt that would keep me on my feet (depending on what the minions do before my turn comes) otherwise if Fred's got anything that could heal even 1 hp I should be able to pull out of this with my Armor of Sudden Recovery and a Second Wind. Maybe Action Point to take out some minions on the right.

I'm debating on whether I should try to climb up and help Takara or go after people on the ground. How high is that building?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sechim's roof is 40 feet up, or 8 squares. The back section is 30 feet--6 squares.

You certainly could use Second Chance on one of Valando's attacks if you want.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 29, 2015

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Don't worry about climbing up here just yet.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
So, Keegan uses Second Chance on arson bolt, and if that doesn't work then FRED uses Channeling Shield.

Hmm... out of curiosity, what happens when FRED's cold-powered Armor of Agathys meets things like the wall of fire?

Because I think I have some ideas.

Option 1: FRED fires up his daily and marches east to S23, provoking an OA from a minion, but whatever (he can also curse that minion and thus do 1 point of autodamage thanks to his pylon). His autodamage from the daily kills minions at the start of their turn, spreading the curse to the east flank.

Option 2: FRED is the only member of the party who's not actually adjacent to any square of the wall of fire, so he's only taking 5 damage from the fire zone, putting him at 25 HP. FRED fires up his daily and marches west he has enough THP to just facetank the wall of fire (15 damage vs. 14 THP) in order to end up adjacent to Valando, allowing him to Aegis him and also do autodamage at the start of Valando's turn. He can also AP to use Swordburst to kill that minion, damage Valando and spread some of that curse joy around. But since the Armor of Agathys is a cold-based daily power that coats FRED in ice, maybe walking through the wall can also put out some squares of the firewall, opening a way out so that Keegan can follow up and get close to Valando, hopefully flurrying him in the process. If he can open one of the squares of the firewall, things get a lot more interesting.

Also, someone make some Nature/Arcana checks so we know if the minions can shoot us through the firewall or not, thanks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

F.R.E.D. would need some Arcana checks to make his armor daily suppress the fire.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
hooboy, the dice are fickle. So, how far can FRED throw a halfling?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
So, Gharbad, are you up for the Terminator plan? If you AP into Sword Burst you can still take advantage of Cha's buff bonuses plus your own bonuses from Channeling Shield and potentially smack him for a respectable amount of damage, or you could curse him instead of using your Aegis and then hit him with your Diabolic grasp to keep him next to you- that way if Keegan gets over there and tags him with Flurry of Blows then Valando can't shift and will provoke OAs from the both of you when he moves/makes ranged attacks.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

whoda thunkit posted:

hooboy, the dice are fickle. So, how far can FRED throw a halfling?

Well, if FRED uses his ice armor daily, walks into the wall of flame and then makes an Arcana check to disable some part of it, you can just walk your way through the hole in the wall and then do your thing on Valando.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Really Pants posted:

F.R.E.D. would need some Arcana checks to make his armor daily suppress the fire.

YOLO

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
:woop:

I assume you burned your immediate action on Channeling Shield in order to keep Keegan upright? If so, you got another +4 damage to your sword burst damage roll, plus the other +4 from Cha, for 16 total.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I thought you couldn't use immediate actions until after your first turn came up. If I can do that, then yes, I'll save Keegan I GUESS

Keegan: you may want to go pop the right cursed minion, so that Haldain can explode.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 29, 2015

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Androc, doesn't this trigger your Cursebite?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

LightWarden posted:

Androc, doesn't this trigger your Cursebite?

He wants to wait until both cursed minions are dead, so he can potentially clear the field.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I thought you couldn't use immediate actions until after your first turn came up.

You absolutely can use off-turn actions before your first turn.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I thought you couldn't use immediate actions until after your first turn came up. If I can do that, then yes, I'll save Keegan I GUESS

Nah, it's once per round, so once you actually use one then you can't use another until your turn comes up. If you're surprised/dazed/stunned/dominated then you can't use immediate actions, but that's not the case here. You're good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Moving through the wall spaces takes 3 extra squares of movement. F.R.E.D. would have to provoke an OA from Valando to reach V-15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Also, I miscounted, Fred is at 30 HP, not 25, the autodamage got factored in by Really Pants already at the start of the turn. And he's still got +5 to all defenses until the end of his turn from the amulet we got, so he should be pretty safe from the OA.

• Locked thread