Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
This sounds quite interesting. I'm currently mulling over two ideas, which do you think would fit better in your game?

1. Eladrin Hybrid Warlock (Fey Pact)/Swordmage (Aegis of Assault). Mechanically, the two classes actually mesh pretty well and Eladrin can pull off a dual int/cha build. Also, I really like teleporting.

Story-wise, I figure he's partly a diplomat. Relations between the Eladrin and most everyone else are notably pretty bad. Having someone in the Royal Constables who does a good job could be a big boon towards fixing that. His race's reputation is riding on him not messing up, so he takes the job pretty seriously.

2. Dwarf Protector Druid. Mechanically, I think protector druids are pretty neat and difficult terrain can be rather handy. I like the idea of having a more plants and spellcasting focused druid over the shapeshifting sort.

Story-wise he's something of a pariah among other dwarves for having befriended the various fungi (particularly I'm thinking of myconoids) that tend to plague their mining operations. He was sent off with a recommendation by the dwarven higher-ups to keep him out of the way. Maybe the Royal Constables will have a use for his weird fungus magic, maybe not. At least he's out of their beards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

In light of someone else applying with a swordmage/warlock hybrid and pre-empting me, I think I'll go with the fungus based dwarven druid! Quick question, Pants: Is it okay to reskin various powers to be more fungus based, eg. changing damage types where they wouldn't fit. For example, the fire hawk at-will doesn't make much sense for my character's style of druidism. Would having it be the result of particularly aggressive spores or something and changing the damage type to either untyped or poison be acceptable? I'm guessing poison would be preferred since otherwise I'd be circumventing fire resistant enemies with no real opportunity cost, but it's up to you.

Without further ado, the actual character. Theme is Eschatologist (Not all of dwarf culture failed to rub off on Adrik, he's about as fatalist as the rest of them, though he takes a slightly more positive and less final approach to it. Endings beget beginnings, etc.), couldn't find a way to stick it on the character sheet (I'm afraid I'm lacking a good image, but I'll try to hunt down something):

Adrik Tarn, Protector Druid

http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7181

From the get-go, Adrik was an oddity among dwarves. He wasn't very strong and he wasn't interesting in smithing or mining; he didn't pay any attention during history lessons. His parents were nearly tearing the beards off with frustration.

Luckily, he did have a surprising knack for determining tunnel stability and a downright uncanny ability to sense out promising ore veins. He may have been a failure at most things dwarven, but at least he was useful.

Unfortunately, these budding druidic talents would soon take a bend towards the decidedly less helpful when Adrik one day stumbled upon a small settlement of myconoids while scouting out a potential tunnel route. After an awkward initial scare on both sides, he soon befriended the odd but good natured fungoid people. It was here that he fully began to develop his druidic abilities under the tutelage of the myconoid druid who led the small settlement he had discovered.

Concerned that the myconoids may simply be cleared out as 'pests' by his fellow dwarves, Adrik helped conceal the settlement. When it was eventually discovered anyways, he helped them evade the ensuing extermination attempts.

Suspecting that he was in some way aiding their fungus problem but lacking any concrete proof, the dwarven leadership decided to send Adrik off with a recommendation to join the Royal Constables. While he was leery about leaving, he hardly had any real choice in the matter. The Myconoids have still managed to evade extermination since Adrik left, knowledge he'd find rather heartening to know.

While he may not have had any real choice about joining the Royal Constables, Adrik does take his duty seriously. He's started to feel like he has something to prove ever since he discovered other druids thought his particular style of druidism was weird. The ability to hone in on any nearby corpses thanks to sensing the decomposition process has proved a handy if disconcerting talent.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 1, 2014

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Reskin all you like, but no mechanical changes. Ain't no rule says a spore can't play basketball explode in flames.

That's true. I was being close-minded. I am totally ok with exploding fungus.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

potatocubed posted:

This picture is amazing and I'm stealing it for my collection.

It's a Magic: The Gathering card. They're a treasure trove of fantastic artwork, generally.

• Locked thread