Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Meanwhile at the Bracken Ridge Tavern:

:australia:

What's in 4X Gold that makes it more expensive under the carbon tax but no other beers are :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
If any of you idiots start posting about Q&A I will turn this thread around.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

It um was ah just a ah birdsrike you see. 9 mm sparrows ah the um defence department er um informed me.

If it was one of the new jets they'd probably be pleasantly surprised it took a sparrow to down it rather than a cloud/fly/balloon

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It took Tony Abbott almost a year, and significant concessions, to get a mining magnate to vote to decrease his own tax bill.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

Has anyone seen Alan Jones lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd5OkLvShw

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
given this thread likes talking about dumb student politics, the monash liberal party club facebook is apparently boasting over how they passed a motion supporting the abolition of universal health care.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

It is certainly appropriate that we named a terrible thing after Henry Bolte

This. gently caress Henry Bolte. The Ryan case was a sham and Bolte wanted him killed because the courts blue balled him with an insanity ruling the last time he tried to off someone and he needed some blood to appease the electorate.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Are you confident that the delay in raising the superannuation rate will lead to higher wages?

7% Yes
93% No

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I mean, every employer that I know goes "hey, we decreased costs, I'll pass that onto my employees in the form of a payrise" all the time.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I've got an idea for Peter Martin's next article. Attacks on the minimum wage are actually pro-employee, because if the employer is no longer forced to give a certain minimum wage to their employees, they can pass the savings they make onto their employees in the form of a wage increase.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

froglet posted:

When asked "what do you think of SHY" in an office surrounded by extreme right wingers its probably not advisable to say you like her or agree with her in any meaningful way. As amusing as the idea of pissing my coworkers off seems, I still have to work with them. :smith:

I'm going to try and stick it out for 6 months.

Going by this you should start each day with a heil hitler to ingratiate yourself to your colleagues.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

Why do people dislike SHY? Every time it comes up, people accuse each other of being sexist and we don't get any actual concrete reasons that she's bad.
Personally I find her tone a little grating on facebook, but honestly I prefer it to Scott Ludlam's high and mighty tone anyway, and we all love him.

Does your brain literally just go missing every time someone asks this question and it gets explained that she is a career politician who still pulls student politics bullshit and has worked with bob brown to get around party process leading to shitheads getting elected by her preferencing deals?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Let's start with taking control of the mining and energy production industries.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'd actually be 100% okay with this as long as the government buys ownership. Industry assistance should involve the purchase of stock.

You know it won't be though, it will just be furthering of nationalising losses privatising profits.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

He's saying one of his staff has been conducting a misinformation campaign and warns the DLP's greatest enemies lie inside it. He'll now be sitting as an Independent.

Sounds like there's trouble brewing in the DLP.

goddamn communist infiltration I guarantee it

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Victoria producing the goods today.

Geoff Shaw yesterday gave his apology in parliament. Liberal Premier Dennis Napthine didn't like it, and is moving a vote to expel Shaw, after protecting Shaw from expulsion when Labor put up a vote to do so some months ago. An anonymous Labor leader of the opposition has stated Labor's intent to reverse their position and now vote against expulsion because it now won't trigger a by-election as the November poll date is too soon.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
oh also the last two months have seen the biggest emissions rise in the energy industry for 8 years :toot:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

What it will be is endless handouts and bailouts for mates.

This is why I don't make any extra super contributions. I know it baffled some people last time I brought it up, but I honestly believe that superannuation as we know it will just not be there when I retire.

There will be taxes, fees, national budget emergencies where "we all have to do our part (but only if you were born after 1965)".

It will be like the Detroit bankruptcy, where public employees who had a lifetime of sacrifice in their pension funds suddenly found themselves with large holes where they thought their retirement savings were.

Superannuation, unless you're rich, means 'sacrifice now, so the government has something else to take from you later'.

Except that's not really the same at all, because to do this the government would have to literally do a cyprus style raid on private accounts.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
img-SuicideRateUnderConservativeGovts

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Every day tories are in power in britain costs another two suicides.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's me.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Seagull posted:

All the talk of violently overthrowing tory governments was just a ruse, huh... Tony!

I would've got away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Nibbles! posted:

There's luddite's who cut their chips out and what have you but pretty sure you can't swipe any new machine these days, they all want the chip.

Ohhhh that's why a guy I served today had the chip cut out then.

Usually if the card has the chip originally you can insert it twice and then it will let you swipe the magnetic strip if it fails reading the chip both times, but they won't let you just swipe it straight away.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

But not as problematic as the inner corruption of the LNP, which currently dictates policy for our nation. That's clearly NOT a problem we should be concerned with, at all, ever.

Honestly I find it hard to keep track of which one thing we are allowed to be concerned with at any given time.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Paul Sheehan article trip report: :itwaspoo:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Clusterfuck, b. 2014 Muir, R 2013

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
idk what all thsoe long words mean but i think you'll find the rc says pete garrotted those 4 young diggers with he own hand

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

webmeister posted:

Random question time - I've got a bunch of old DVDs that I've ripped to disc and haven't used in years. I'd like to donate them to charity, but have no idea which charity would be the most appropriate one?

Normally I just take stuff to Vinnies, but I'd rather be a bit more targeted with this.

reported to george brandis for copyright infringement.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Even the article which, as much as I could read was basically just an ad for the service, was paywalled.

Murdoch spreading democracy in the region, but only to those who can afford the subscription costs.

The revolution will not be televised on free-to-air.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

@mpwoodhead posted:

Fiona Nash visits Aboriginal Medical Service & tells them they need a price signal to discourage doctor visits http://t.co/lPirH1dReo

:allears:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Stop the bots

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Ugggggh it's loving student elections this week at campus.

The two main tickets appear to be

Stop Abbotts attack on students, support Palestine, attack discrimination on campus

Vs

Free breakfast, BBQ and beer

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Oh and then there is the RULC because they sure as gently caress aren't putting Liberal on their tshirts

Edit: free Palestine is I believe young greens and free breakfast is young labor

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Haters Objector posted:

When you say conservative economics, do you mean neoliberalism? If so, I don't think neoliberal praxis is even remotely conservative, other than for the fact that self-described "conservatives" promote it. Neoliberalism is a policy of extremism, and gay rights, drug legalisation, and other civil liberties issues are entirely consistent with modern neoliberalism.

eh, I'd argue that the type of shallow minded thinking that leads to neoliberalism isn't consistent with having non-poo poo opinions on gay rights etc. Neoliberalism is all about personal rather than structural explanations for social phenomena and that doesn't mesh with having any understanding whatsoever of disadvantage or the need to address it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

You went to a Kanye West concert and expected anything less than the dregs of society?

Can't someone just go to and enjoy a Kanye West concert without being subjected to disgusting levels of misogyny?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Well it's a Kanye West concert so, unless he's doing an instrumental set, no.

blacksun posted:

Even if it was just you and Kanye I don't think that would be possible.

:thejoke:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Looks like the uni fee and HECS changes won't be going ahead (until Palmer gets some sort of inducement of course).

RMIT Connect(Young Labor) are promising Free Breakfast, going to be hard to top that inducement.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

LordNagash posted:

But.... How can Tony stop the boats now????

He could extend the reasonable processing length by appointing the least competent person he can find as immigration minister?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

LordNagash posted:

Wow, Tony really is on top of stopping the boats!

He is playing 4 dimensional chess and thinking seven moves ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Craig Baumann @ ICAC posted:

I don't see how a recipient of a donation can be corrupted

• Locked thread