Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Does anybody have the Abbott Mission accomplished img? TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Paging cartoon
Comment on this http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/superannuation-the-coalition-helps-the-workers-20140902-10bfmg.html

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Tommofork posted:

Anyone have full access to the Australian?

Wanna read the rest of this shitshow.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...x-1227046979565

quote:

TAXPAYER funds would be used to buy struggling companies and pour cash into risky new ventures under a revolutionary industry plan being pursued by Clive Palmer in a new inquiry backed by the federal government.

Amid questions over the fin­ances of his private companies, the Palmer United Party leader has secured Coalition support to ­investigate radical ideas such as government loans and debt guarantees to businesses in strife. The details of the plan, obtained by The Australian, include emergency fin­ancial help for industries in crisis so that private companies could use public cash to buy new equipment. Central to the concept is a new government bank, the Australia Fund, that could issue loans to companies and assume control of a business in trouble so it could be rescued with grants or guarantees backed by taxpayers.

Dubbed the “Palmer Fund” by some and the “Slush Puppy” by others, the proposal flouts advice from the Productivity Commission against increasing grants to companies that should be able to survive without handouts. But it could shape debate on industry aid at a time when there are questions over the finances of Mr Palmer’s prize asset, Queensland Nickel, and concerns about the decline of his hotel business, the Palmer Coolum Resort.

Mr Palmer denied any conflict of interest in his political man­oeuvres this week, despite the fact his operations were likely to gain from his surprise decision to vote for the repeal of the mining tax.

The scrapping of the mining tax could increase the value of Mr Palmer’s coal assets and the associated delay to superannuation increases would ease payroll pressures on his companies, just as with other employers.

A key feature of the new inquiry is a study into changes to bankruptcy law that would make it easier for companies to trade their way out of trouble, using an approach such as the Chapter 11 provisions in the US.

Tony Abbott has hardened his language on industry assistance this year after turning down pleas to help Ford, Holden, Toyota, SPC Ardmona and Qantas, which wanted a debt guarantee.

“You can’t subsidise your way to prosperity,” the Prime Minister told the Liberal Party federal council in June. Yet the government has backed the inquiry to explore Mr Palmer’s financing plan and report next June on whether to set up the new fund.

The government will back the joint select committee after PUP senator Glenn Lazarus moves in the upper house to establish the inquiry under terms of reference circulated to some late yesterday.

There was no government offer to create the fund and ­Coalition senators could use the exercise to reject some of Mr Palmer’s proposals.

Support for the inquiry is one of the assurances in a letter from ­Finance Minister Mathias Cormann to Mr Palmer on Tuesday to ensure PUP voted to repeal the mining tax.

The details were not disclosed and appear certain to trigger doubts among Liberal and Labor senators when the motion is formally moved today.

The terms of reference stipulate the fund could offer “emergency or ongoing financial relief” to industry and “act as a guarantor for all or part of a loan or proposed loan” to an individual business. The fund could “purchase all or part of an existing loan to a business” or “assume control of such a business” to leave government officials in charge of private enterprises.

A separate inquiry will be set up to examine government responses to natural disasters as another condition of the PUP support for the mining tax repeal.

The Australia Fund will be examined by a joint select committee of both houses of parliament, with Mr Palmer as one of its members along with representatives from Labor and Liberal and possibly the Greens.

Queensland Nickel, which runs a refinery in Townsville, lost an estimated $58 million in 2012 and refused to pay its carbon tax bill for more than six months. Mr Palmer has rejected arguments that voters should know the state of his financial affairs. This week Mr Palmer rejected the proposition he had any conflict of interest in the outcome on the mining tax, which he personally arranged with Senator Cormann.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
GhostWhoVotes ‏@GhostWhoVotes 5m
#ReachTEL Poll Seat of Ashgrove Primaries: Newman LNP 36.6 (-2.5) Kate Jones ALP 51.1 (+3.6) #qldpol #auspol

GhostWhoVotes ‏@GhostWhoVotes 6m
#ReachTEL Poll Seat of Ashgrove 2PP: Newman LNP 42 (-2) Kate Jones ALP 58 (+2) #qldpol #auspol

How long till next QLD election?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

adamantium|wang posted:

60 Minutes is interviewing James Ashby, claiming revelations that will rock the government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7PspJmiZs

I'm curious as to why they're showing Roy alongside Brough, Abbott and Pyne though.

Here's a good recap from AIMN http://theaimn.com/new-ashby-scandal-rock-abbott-government/

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
The Ashby poo poo: From Courier Mail

quote:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...p-peter-slipper

QUEENSLAND Liberal MP Mal Brough was the mysterious “Jackie’’ who organised a lawyer for former Speaker Peter Slipper’s staffer weeks before he lodged the sexual harassment case that threatened to bring down the Gillard government.

James Ashby makes the allegations in a tell-all interview tonight on 60 Minutes which is billed as containing allegations of a “secret plot that will rock the Abbott Government”.

Channel 9 has refused to disclose whether Mr Ashby was paid for the interview.

Questioned by Liz Hayes, Mr Ashby confirms that Mr Brough is the mystery female called Jackie he referred to in text messages with another staffer, Karen Doane.

In the text messages, Mr Ashby says that “Jackie’’ was an influential figure who helped organise a lawyer for him and could help the pair get new jobs.

“Jackie was Mal Brough,’’ Mr Ashby says. “I’d received a phone message … one day and it said ‘contact Jackie’ and I rung the number, didn’t register with me who it was and a woman answered the phone and I said ‘Oh hi, is Jackie there’ and she said ‘I’ll put him on,’’ Mr Ashby said.

“And before I knew it, Mal Brough picked up the phone. He just kept the name … There’s been plenty of names thrown about, but the reality was it was always Mal Brough.”

Mr Brough has previously admitted bringing LNP supporter David Russell QC, to a meeting with Mr Ashby, who advised him he “might have a case for sexual harassment’’ against Mr Slipper.

Mr Brough, who was interviewed for the program, said he had no idea he was “Jackie’’ in the text messages.

“I’m Jackie? That explains why no one ever knew who Jackie was,’’ he said yesterday.

“The only lawyer I organised was David (Russell QC) who met him once,’’ Mr Brough said.

Mr Ashby also claims that Mr Slipper ordered him not to use his real name in taxis.

“I remember the very first time we caught a cab, I said ‘where are we off to, Peter?’ and afterwards when we got out, he said to me to never call him Peter Slipper or his real name any time we travel in cabs.”

Education Minister Christopher Pyne, who emailed Mr Ashby after drinks in the Speaker’s office, will also feature in the 60 Minutes investigation.

FULL INTERVIEW WILL SCREEN ON CHANNEL 9 AT 8PM

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

gently caress you Tony Abbott Bill Shorten

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Frogmanv2 posted:

In another brilliant move, the ALP is not contesting the by election in the seat of Vasse.

These figures don't look too appealing for them. After preferences,ouch
http://www.abc.net.au/elections/wa/2013/guide/vass.htm

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Last week there was an online poll for The Drum on the ABC website. It was spread liberally by many Greens and Labor supporters on #auspol Twitter for maximum attention.

The poll asked: How do you rate Tony Abbott’s first year as Prime Minister?

It was 4% pro Abbott after some 6000 votes, then suddenly there was about a huge influx of pro-Abbott votes, in the region of 5000 or so in about an hour, that figure kept increasing for some time after.

#auspol people spread it even more to break the bots increase. It went back to a more respectable 65% 'bad' to 34% 'good' after 24,500 votes when the bots stopped.

Someone wrote to The Drum and asked them to explain/amend the results or to take away the fraudulent bot votes. They actually did and this was the result.

Overall bad 91%
Overall good 7%
Somewhere in the middle 1%
Undecided 0%

They took away some 9000 bot votes.
An online poll obviously doesn't say much, most of the people who saw the poll got it from Twitter & I think Twitter is largely a progressive platform. But I guess what it does say, is that the pro-Liberals groups can't even allow an online poll to make them look bad.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Can I just remind a few people that the 2003 Iraq war killed probably over 200,000 people. This led to tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of further deaths from injury, malnutrition, daily sectarian violence & suicide bombings and all the other awful things that proceed a bloody war.

This was after the West and the UNSC imposed extraordinarily harsh sanctions on the country in the early 1990's, which also killed more than 500,000 children alone from malnutrition.

After the West had pitted Iraq against Iran in another long brutal war in the 80's.

Which was preceded by decades of Western interference, hegemony and colonisation.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Abbott: "Coalition of the Concerned"

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Goodbye, beard. I loved you so. May your leave of absence bring me the security and personal safety I so sincerely hope for.

Man I'm white as can be (loving French-Swedish & German parents) and I get stopped all the drat time across Europe because of my beard. Happens especially in the UK. Hell I even got stopped and searched in Bosnia and Croatia a couple months ago.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

CrazyTolradi posted:

Are you a troll, or just dense? How about I go and urinate all over something you care deeply about (i.e have immense cultural and spiritual connection to), then spray paint over it and see exactly how you reacte.

How long have you been reading the auspol threads? Shux is one of the most ambivalent trolls to grace auspol.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Roy Morgan Poll Time: Abbott’s decision to ‘send in the troops’ fails to secure poll bounce: Young Australians comprehensively reject the Abbot Government

Greens are also up 1.5% after the weeks warmongering

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
oj beaten

Ler fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 25, 2014

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Someone said it a while ago, Scott Morrison see's every asylum seeker death as potential for more votes.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
I'd like not to start any more poo poo that will invite IWC for obvious reasons. Here is a new SBS article on the kid the police shot, who we now know was only 17.

quote:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/09/26/shot-terror-suspect-was-troubled-and-needed-guidance-says-afghan-ambassador

Mr Andisha says Abdul Numan Haider’s family is shocked at the incident which led to his death and the he was a troubled young man who needed help and support but fell prey to extremists who took advantage of him.

The teenager, who would have turned 18 next February, was shot dead after stabbing two police officers outside a police station at Endeavour Hills, in outer Melbourne. Police had asked him to come in, concerned at his recent activities and links to people with extremist views. His passport had been cancelled.

An extended version of the interview will be available here after the 6.30pm World News Broadcast.

Abdul Numan Haider was the youngest of three sons. His two older brothers are studying at university.

His father had studied in Australia in the 1970s and moved back to Afghanistan after graduating from the University of Adelaide. When civil unrest grew in his home country, the father returned with wife and his young family, under the sponsorship of friends, living first in Adelaide and then in Melbourne.

Mr Andisha says Numan Haider had joined up with people who had extremist ideas – with which his family had no connection – at a time when he was struggling.

“It seems that this man was disturbed, disillusioned, and he needed more help, guidance, counselling, a helping hand to help him out through this difficult, time, phase, period in his life and to be another ordinary person,” the ambassador says.

He says he believes some disillusioned young people are being attracted to the organisation calling itself Islamic State because it offers what he calls “a five-star jihad” which runs a sophisticated media campaign and offers access to the trappings of modern life .

“It attracts younger people and it basically has more facilities for them, they can take their families”, he says.
That’s in contrast with life among the Taliban and al Qaeda who lived in tribal compounds and caves in the wilderness.

“It's nothing that a youngster from Manchester, or from Sydney, could endure, being in the caves, every time you have drones over you and intelligence agencies around you.. it was very difficult, it was a very hard-core fight. But on the contrast, being in Syria and Iraq they have much better facilities, the infrastructure is better, you have electricity, you have access to fast food.”

The ambassador says the Afghan community in Australia is as concerned about recent incidents involving expatriate Afghans as the rest of the community.

“We distance ourselves from this, we denounce this activity, we want to live in peace and harmony and bring up our children in a multicultural society. We are looking for a better future for our children.”

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Also it appears that a goon was responsible for threatening kids at that Islamic school
https://twitter.com/mina_ysf/status/515419701619331074

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Kerrin Binnie ‏@kerrinbinnie 4m4 minutes ago
The Senate has voted to set up an inquiry into the Newman Government. Govt Senators not happy. Y 30 N 27 #auspol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
This Guardian link: http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/sep/30/abbott-cabinet-meets-ahead-of-iraq-deployment-politics-live

Has all the relevant updates. Apparently the Libs are "furious" :D

• Locked thread