Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm a lurker. I've never played a tabletop game in my life. Last month, the nerd herd at work was talking about D&D and I got curious and bought the 5e PHB. How hard is it to just get into games over the internet? Should I read the book from cover to cover?

I've been reading about Dungeon World and that seems to be a little more my speed but seems to be more of a game you have to play with a group in person. Most of the time, it's impossible for me to schedule something like that.

I've run a Dungeon World game online and it works great. For any sort of online gaming, my first choice is always Roll20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I want to run Paranoia for my regular TTRPG group but I'm pretty confused as to what rulebooks to get - can anyone let me know what basic books I should get? I've never played it but everything I've ready about it makes it sound like really good fun.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Another lurker post here.

krushgroove posted:

I want to run Paranoia for my regular TTRPG group but I'm pretty confused as to what rulebooks to get - can anyone let me know what basic books I should get? I've never played it but everything I've ready about it makes it sound like really good fun.

All you really need to run a basic game of Paranoia is the Troubleshooters rulebook. The Internal Security and High Programmers books might be nice, but Troubleshooters is the classic game that everyone knows* and loves.

*Not that any players are actually allowed to show their knowledge of the rules, which is good since you'll probably want to ignore most of them anyhow. :v:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I'm a lurker. I've never played a tabletop game in my life. Last month, the nerd herd at work was talking about D&D and I got curious and bought the 5e PHB. How hard is it to just get into games over the internet? Should I read the book from cover to cover?

I've been reading about Dungeon World and that seems to be a little more my speed but seems to be more of a game you have to play with a group in person. Most of the time, it's impossible for me to schedule something like that.

I would try Dungeon World before D&D if you've never played a ttrpg before. D&D has a lot of mechanics and underlying math plus a whole glossary of status conditions to know and spells and it can get burdensome fast if you're not into that sort of thing. DW is very free-form and easy to get into, especially for people new to ttrpgs in my experience. It's also free.

That said, if you like the structure of a system that has a lot of defined elements and such, go ahead with D&D 4e or 5e since you already got the book. 5e has a serious problem with balance wrt the player classes, but it can be made to work.

As far as online gaming, Play by Post is what you're most likely to find. Playing over skype or something is pretty fun though and isn't hard, just need to find people to play with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

I would try Dungeon World before D&D if you've never played a ttrpg before. D&D has a lot of mechanics and underlying math plus a whole glossary of status conditions to know and spells and it can get burdensome fast if you're not into that sort of thing. DW is very free-form and easy to get into, especially for people new to ttrpgs in my experience. It's also free.

On top of that, the GM's agenda, principles, and moves are all pretty much "GMing best practices" and will actually teach you how to run games better than D&D will.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

On top of that, 5e is horseshit. Play Dungeon World.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Idea of the hour: A game of The Quiet Year, played as a comedy, set in the Metroid universe. The players control a Space Pirate research facility. Scarcities include radioactive mutagens and barely-contained murderous wildlife.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

Idea of the hour: A game of The Quiet Year, played as a comedy, set in the Metroid universe. The players control a Space Pirate research facility. Scarcities include radioactive mutagens and barely-contained murderous wildlife.

And instead of the Frost Shepherds, there is the Hunter. I can see this working.

I usually lurk, but here I am posting! Currently playing an IRL Dungeon World game set in Carcosa, (very) slowly reading Chuubo's in prep to run that in a few weeks. I've been reading/playing Jenna Moran's games since Nobilis 1, and Chuubo's is still a lot to take in...

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Quarex posted:

Yesssssss ..... yessssssssssss

Where would you be coming in from? We should clearly start seriously analyzing this possibility. If I trained in it would be from Plattsburgh, New York, to Chicago ... unless it was from Washington D.C. to Chicago instead but that assumes a lot.

I'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and don't really know anything about train routes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NuclearPotato posted:

Another lurker post here.

All you really need to run a basic game of Paranoia is the Troubleshooters rulebook. The Internal Security and High Programmers books might be nice, but Troubleshooters is the classic game that everyone knows* and loves.

*Not that any players are actually allowed to show their knowledge of the rules, which is good since you'll probably want to ignore most of them anyhow. :v:

Thanks for that - unfortunately that book goes for £100-400, which is just preposterous. Is there nothing else (apart from :files:) that lets me get playing?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Evil Mastermind posted:

On top of that, the GM's agenda, principles, and moves are all pretty much "GMing best practices" and will actually teach you how to run games better than D&D will.

I just got the Warhammer Fantasy RPG a couple weeks ago and I was very pleasantly surprised by the GM book. The first 60 or so pages are just "here's how to actually run this dumb thing" and utilizing the various pieces of the game. It was awesome and got me pumped.

We played our last session yesterday and it went really well. My players got about halfway through the intro adventure (character creation took a lot longer than I thought it would) and were having a blast. :3:

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

I would try Dungeon World before D&D...

...As far as online gaming, Play by Post is what you're most likely to find. Playing over skype or something is pretty fun though and isn't hard, just need to find people to play with.

Cool. Thanks. I'm going to try to hunt down a physical rulebook for Dungeon World(hate reading on a monitor) and wait for a game to pop up.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Cool. Thanks. I'm going to try to hunt down a physical rulebook for Dungeon World(hate reading on a monitor) and wait for a game to pop up.

You can get a PDF + Print bundle from Indie Press Revolution for $25.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spincut posted:

I just got the Warhammer Fantasy RPG a couple weeks ago and I was very pleasantly surprised by the GM book. The first 60 or so pages are just "here's how to actually run this dumb thing" and utilizing the various pieces of the game. It was awesome and got me pumped.

We played our last session yesterday and it went really well. My players got about halfway through the intro adventure (character creation took a lot longer than I thought it would) and were having a blast. :3:

You mean the big 3rd edition box? I bought that ages ago and haven't read it or even punched out the counters or anything yet. :(

(And despite that I still found myself wanting to buy the supplements when it was announced the line was ending, "just in case".)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Evil Mastermind posted:

You mean the big 3rd edition box? I bought that ages ago and haven't read it or even punched out the counters or anything yet. :(

(And despite that I still found myself wanting to buy the supplements when it was announced the line was ending, "just in case".)
I'm way ahead of you. I actually read the books. :v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah. I've been meaning to pick it up for a while and finally did once FFG announced they were ending the line. Found it on eBay for $70 or so shipped. It's really a great package and the physical components help streamline the game a lot. I'm really enjoying it so far.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Spincut posted:

You can get a PDF + Print bundle from Indie Press Revolution for $25.

Plus $13 shipping. That's madness!

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

You're better off going to an FLGS, really. No shipping.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh, didn't get that far. Yeah, that's crazy. Hit up a local store instead, then (although Sage just posted on Twitter saying he has to get a new printing ready, so not sure if stock is scarce right now).

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I think that the high shipping price is an error, and if you contact IPR, they'll lower it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

One Last Job looks pretty awesome and everyone should check it out.

Makes me want to run a WW2 Commando Team themed one-shot. Lots of potential inspiration too, from The Guns of Navarone to Kelly's Heroes. :allears:

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Loki_XLII posted:

I think that the high shipping price is an error, and if you contact IPR, they'll lower it.

No, that sounds about right. Last time I used them they charged $12 shipping on a $13 book (a 32 page book at that).

You basically only use IPR for super obscure/limited-run books your local game store can't or won't stock.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm recruiting for a One Last Job game

So even if you don't want to play, you should take a look.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Firestorm Armada: Worth a buy, or should you just stick with old BFG stuff?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

WAR FOOT posted:

Firestorm Armada: Worth a buy, or should you just stick with old BFG stuff?

I think BFG rules are better but if you want stuff that doesn't cost a fortune and is available now then FA is, well, available now. Apparently they did a 2nd edition of the rules and improved it but i've not seen that.

Which reminds me I should decide whether i'll play BFG again and see about selling everything while it's still going for silly money.

My gaming group has talked about doing Gen Con next year but the whole 'random chance for the hotel' is pretty discouraging, particularly if you're flying in as well.

And in other random poo poo, I'm thinking about putting up a One Ring thread as the old one seems to have died (and C7s forums have that clique-ism that a lot of gaming company forums fall into where a handful of people dominate and dictate the style of 'what's acceptable'). Not sure if there's enough interest though given the old thread fell into disuse.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

PST posted:

And in other random poo poo, I'm thinking about putting up a One Ring thread as the old one seems to have died (and C7s forums have that clique-ism that a lot of gaming company forums fall into where a handful of people dominate and dictate the style of 'what's acceptable'). Not sure if there's enough interest though given the old thread fell into disuse.

I'm curious about the One Ring - I like what I hear about its style and pacing, but I'm utterly uninterested in Middle Earth and I wonder how easy it is to divorce mechanics from setting.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

potatocubed posted:

I'm curious about the One Ring - I like what I hear about its style and pacing, but I'm utterly uninterested in Middle Earth and I wonder how easy it is to divorce mechanics from setting.

You certainly could, and I think you could reskin it into a reasonable Star Wars game with hope being light side and shadow being dark side points. The rules are very much aimed at ME though, actually a specific style of ME (it does the Hobbit better than Lord of the Rings) and the designer's biases and 'stuff he worked on before' are clearly present. I use a lot of house rules to deal with that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PST posted:

The rules are very much aimed at ME though, actually a specific style of ME (it does the Hobbit better than Lord of the Rings) and the designer's biases and 'stuff he worked on before' are clearly present. I use a lot of house rules to deal with that.

I'm curious about this bit, because I can certainly reflavor the world I'm playing in. Are you saying it's better at doing 'going off on an adventure' rather than 'epic quest to defeat the worlds one true evil'?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

ImpactVector posted:

I did just hit the MN renaissance fair yesterday though (which is something like the 3rd largest in the country) and bought a sweet cavalier's hat to finish my costume. Now I just have to come up with a way to keep the cats from destroying the feathers.

Ooh I used to go to that when I still lived in Minnesota a million years ago now. I remember it being a lot of fun! I think I saw one of Puke & Snot's last performances before the old Snot died.

There are even still some pictures of me dressed up for it around on Facebook I think. I looked like a complete asshat, to no one's surprise, but I think that's sort of the point.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

gently caress yak men -- every campaign setting needs at least one designated 'always evil' group to murder

Froghammer posted:

To be fair the yakfolk were complete dicks

How can I be expected to post in the face of these attitudes? :cry:

I really only popped in to maybe get some suggestions for a game I plan to run for my group (would that be the GM advice thread for that?), but then got distracted by the August contest thread. This subforum is alarmingly creative. One Last Job looks really cool, definitely gonna be following the thread.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Guess which oft-delayed wuxia/wild-west RPG just lost its print publisher (Cubicle 7)?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

Guess which oft-delayed wuxia/wild-west RPG just lost its print publisher (Cubicle 7)?

I'm surprised it took this long to happen, given that he sort of threw C7 under the bus for Icons Team-Up not being available as hardcopy.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm sure GMS has the money to print and ship all the physical copies and backer stretch rewards he has promised.

He's a gaming industry professional, after all.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a remind that when GMS announced that not only was nobody was going to get the print copies of ITU they preordered, but they also weren't going to get refunds (instead getting Adamant store credit), he told people not to get all "RPGNet angry" about it.

Industry. Professional.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

Industry. Professional.
Just ask him!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Why is Far West interesting again, and why is Skarka more interesting than any other failed heartbreaking kickstarter? Honest question; I've kinda got him mixed up in my head with the pundit guy and other people like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

Why is Far West interesting again, and why is Skarka more interesting than any other failed heartbreaking kickstarter? Honest question; I've kinda got him mixed up in my head with the pundit guy and other people like that.

Mainly because 3 years ago (when Far West first appeared) he wasn't as bad as he is now in terms of interacting with people. Nowadays, though, it's a whole different story.

It's not just that FW is three years late and is pretty much the TRPG equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever, it's not just his terrible behavior on social media, it's not just how badly he treats customers/backers/people who give him money for product, it's not just how he blames everyone and everything else for his mistakes and delays, and it's not just how any bad news about his work always comes out from other people instead of himself.

It's how he's a perfect storm of all of the above.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

FMguru posted:

It's also missed another 'it will be out by x date' deadline. Which is what, 20? 30?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Davin Valkri posted:

He's been in the industry for a while, and has a fairly extensive portfolio, going back at least to Hong Kong Action Theater! from Event Horizon Productions. I don't think anyone would care anywhere near as much about the Far West Kickstarter fiasco if he weren't so insanely combative and hostile. At this point cooler heads would at the very least be apologizing for the delay, and quite possibly have issued refunds, and even a scammer who intended to run off with the money would be quieter and less ragey about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

PST posted:

I think BFG rules are better but if you want stuff that doesn't cost a fortune and is available now then FA is, well, available now. Apparently they did a 2nd edition of the rules and improved it but i've not seen that.

Which reminds me I should decide whether i'll play BFG again and see about selling everything while it's still going for silly money.

FSA had some pretty nice looking ships.

The rules felt a little bare-bones, at least compared to the weird crazy poo poo you'll find in BFG.

Easy to play, though.

• Locked thread