Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Guilty Spork posted:

He's been in the industry for a while, and has a fairly extensive portfolio, going back at least to Hong Kong Action Theater! from Event Horizon Productions. I don't think anyone would care anywhere near as much about the Far West Kickstarter fiasco if he weren't so insanely combative and hostile. At this point cooler heads would at the very least be apologizing for the delay, and quite possibly have issued refunds, and even a scammer who intended to run off with the money would be quieter and less ragey about it.

It "helps" that he can be very self-congratulatory about his own professionalism, and has a bad habit of sneering at people who are better at his job, sometimes in really bizarre ways. (E.g., that "good and friendly service is a sucker's game" stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plague of Hats posted:

It "helps" that he can be very self-congratulatory about his own professionalism, and has a bad habit of sneering at people who are better at his job, sometimes in really bizarre ways. (E.g., that "good and friendly service is a sucker's game" stuff.)

He goes into random threads on G+ to insult people for being "SJWs," too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He goes into random threads on G+ to insult people for being "SJWs," too.
And yet he's up in arms about the people harassing Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, and is on Zoe's and Anita's side in this whole mess.

The only valid moral outrage is Gareth's moral outrage.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’ve already posted it in the TG Deals and Steals thread, but Galaga Galaxian recommended I put it here, too:

I made a two-page game called ¡Viva San Judas! It’s a political satire in the vein of Tropico, in which politicians scramble to build their reputation as their nation lurches from crisis to crisis. It’s designed for one-shot games. Let me know if you like it!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, it seems pretty cool for the size. The rules remind me of Lasers & Feelings which has a similar over/under stat mechanic and works good for the light-heated take on the subject material. Seems like it'd be well suited to play-by-post too since its very back and forth.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

And yet he's up in arms about the people harassing Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, and is on Zoe's and Anita's side in this whole mess.

People usually have complex opinions on things, such as people who are anti-abortion and pro-death penalty and vice-versa.

Karma to Burn
Dec 21, 2012

FMguru posted:

I'm sure GMS has the money to print and ship all the physical copies and backer stretch rewards he has promised.

He's a gaming industry professional, after all.

What else does he have left? He's alienated his paying customers, he's ruined his rep with his FW backers, he couldn't fund another Kickstarter if he had to, and now he looks to have burned bridges with his only major business partner on this godforsaken project. I can't help but feel like all his chips are on this thing now... Hope those karate cowboys were worth it, Gary.

I couldn't even begin to fathom the blistering professionalism it'd take to have spent the production budget on anything but making this damned book. Man, if he thought people'd get RPGnet angry about ICONS Team-Up not getting hard copies...

Captain Foo posted:

GMS theory itt

The thread said to post :shrug:

Karma to Burn fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 4, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Karma to Burn posted:

What else does he have left? He's alienated his paying customers.
Ahem, I think you'll find they were backers - investors, really - and not actually customers, and as such he doesn't owe them the time of frigging day much less an apology. :smug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GMS theory itt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

People usually have complex opinions on things, such as people who are anti-abortion and pro-death penalty and vice-versa.

No, it's not a case of having opposite opinions. He acts like anyone who's angry about something he isn't is just doing it for attention/Social Justice Points/whatever. He's pretty much coined the phrase "Outrage Brigade" to refer to people who get mad at things he doesn't. Or at him.

In lighter news, I got to play Edge of Empire tonight. I really like the die mechanic in that one, although apparently we had insane dice luck and were critting everything in the starter set adventure.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

GMS theory itt

fuckin lmao

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, it's not a case of having opposite opinions. He acts like anyone who's angry about something he isn't is just doing it for attention/Social Justice Points/whatever. He's pretty much coined the phrase "Outrage Brigade" to refer to people who get mad at things he doesn't. Or at him.

In lighter news, I got to play Edge of Empire tonight. I really like the die mechanic in that one, although apparently we had insane dice luck and were critting everything in the starter set adventure.

My "takes unpopular opinions due to enjoyment of getting into Internet slapfights" theory still holds strong.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Who likes getting into internet slapfights? Just watching them is tiring enough.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:shrug:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, about that...

https://twitter.com/GRIMACHU/status/507462599467073536

EDIT: Wait no that's desborough. They're basically the same person, but are not actually, so never mind.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 4, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Desborough actually releases products, we just wish he wouldn't.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Oh god, can we not have the Zoe Quinn discussion in here as well? That poo poo just makes me sad.

IN OTHER NEWS

Apocalypse World: Dark Age is in second playtest and it owns. White Wolf went from being literally dead to getting new second editions of all of its gamelines, editions which are vastly superior and actually completely do a way with a lot of the stuff that made it difficult to play and enjoy the World of Darkness. Dungeon World continues to go strong, with Fellowship, Little Apocalypse and a few others coming out. Urban Shadows got successfully kickstarted. Chuubo's Marvellous Wish Granting Engine came out and was amazing. From what I hear Ryuutama is another new release that's pretty good.

I wasn't even at Gencon but from where I'm sitting it's a great time to be in this hobby. Even if you're a fuckin' grog, D&D5 is out and not terrible from what I hear. What other cool new releases are out/coming out that I haven't heard of?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In their most recent podcast (which you should all listen to!), Ken Hite and Robin Laws argued that we are truly in a new golden age of roleplaying and have been for a while (they cited the booming attendance at GenCon and the changing demographics of the new blood pouring into the hobby, along with Kickstarter solving the problem of the broken three-tier distribution model), and I think they're exactly right.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

In their most recent podcast (which you should all listen to!), Ken Hite and Robin Laws argued that we are truly in a new golden age of roleplaying and have been for a while (they cited the booming attendance at GenCon and the changing demographics of the new blood pouring into the hobby, along with Kickstarter solving the problem of the broken three-tier distribution model), and I think they're exactly right.

What is the three-tier model?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Face, boobs, butt, duh.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain Foo posted:

Publisher, distributor, retail. Honestly it's the guy in the middle who makes all the money.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Wizard, Half-Wizard, Worthless

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FMguru posted:

I don't know in order for it to be a golden age I would expect to see even more differences in genre of games. We are starting to see that occur slowly but I wouldn't call it a golden age right now especially when compared to other hobbies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kwyndig posted:

Publisher, distributor, retail. Honestly it's the guy in the middle who makes all the money.
Yeah. Lots of middlemen, lots of risk that needs to be mediated, that doesn't serve products with niche appeal or small audiences. Kickstarter bypasses that by pre-selling and pre-collecting money from your niche audience.

I just took delivery of my 800-page, $200, 13-pound Guide to Glorantha. This is a product that would never in a million years have made it through the 3-tier system. What game store would order a $200 un-returnable product for a weird, semi-obscure gaming world? What distributor would take a risk on a pallet or six of them (compared to just carrying more Magic cards)? And yet there is an audience that's out there for that product and is willing to pay (the KS raised $260,000), and thanks to the miracle of bypassing the 3-tier system, those people now have their dream product. PDFs and e-publishing are another example of new distribution models bypassing the old system.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I don't know in order for it to be a golden age I would expect to see even more differences in genre of games. We are starting to see that occur slowly but I wouldn't call it a golden age right now especially when compared to other hobbies.
Storygames have an enormous breadth of genres that they addres. My copy of the Dramasystem rules has 30 different playable game settings in it, and the supplement has another 40. The publishers of Fiasco put up 50 different genre playsets for free on their website. The hobby is moving away from its basic "you're a bunch of semi-mercenary ADVENTURERS and you're going on an ADVENTURE" playstyle at a breakneck pace.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FFG just announced a set of post-apocalyptic RPGs, each dealing with a different type of disaster (zombies, aliens, Ragnarok, SkyNet)...

...where you play as yourself, and stat yourself up accordingly. Because that's always worked well in the past.

e: (bolding mine)

quote:

In the majority of roleplaying games, you take on the persona of a fictional character – ranging from a elven thief to a half-orc war-mage to a human soldier, and beyond. The End of the World line changes all of this by inviting you to play as yourself amidst the tumult of the world’s ending! You’ll use your own physical, mental, and social attributes to create yourself as an in-game character, allowing you to come as close as you (safely) can to experiencing the apocalypse first-hand. In addition to your chosen attributes, you can represent yourself more accurately by imagining positive and negative features. For example, you may have the Long-distance Runner positive feature, but you may also cope with the Extremely Nearsighted negative feature. Another character may have the Natural Leader positive feature, but this could be tempered by the Wants Revenge negative feature.

Since you’re playing yourself in every game of The End of the World, your starting gear is also limited to what you can find close at hand when you sit down to play the game. You could start with a cell phone, but how long will it stay charged? Who knows how long the cash in your wallet will be accepted as viable currency in light of the world’s ending? You might want a good shotgun to defend yourself, but that could mean venturing out of your friend’s apartment. Kitchen knives might be your only available weapons for defending yourself against hordes of ravenous zombies or conquering aliens.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 4, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Evil Mastermind posted:

FFG just announced a set of post-apocalyptic RPGs, each dealing with a different type of disaster (zombies, aliens, Ragnarok, SkyNet)...

...where you play as yourself, and stat yourself up accordingly. Because that's always worked well in the past.

Apocalyptic scenarios are pretty uniquely suited to the play-yourself style, especially if there's explicit leeway to play an idealized version of yourself. PYS adds an interesting layer of urgency and group dynamics.

As usual, not playing with terrible gamers means you are a lot less likely to see terrible games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Storygames have an enormous breadth of genres that they addres. My copy of the Dramasystem rules has 30 different playable game settings in it, and the supplement has another 40. The publishers of Fiasco put up 50 different genre playsets for free on their website. The hobby is moving away from its basic "you're a bunch of semi-mercenary ADVENTURERS and you're going on an ADVENTURE" playstyle at a breakneck pace.

Do we have a dedicated thread for these?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

No - in part because a number of them have their own dedicated threads.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, I think it's pretty cool that a big-name company is willing to go off the deep end with their RPG systems instead of playing it safe.

Ah, who am I kidding, they're trying to go after the extremely niche but incredibly lucrative preppers-who-are-RPG-aficionados market.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I guess the end of OGL had something to do with it, since RPGs seem to slowly move away from making everything a D&D copy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zurui posted:

Apocalyptic scenarios are pretty uniquely suited to the play-yourself style, especially if there's explicit leeway to play an idealized version of yourself. PYS adds an interesting layer of urgency and group dynamics.

As usual, not playing with terrible gamers means you are a lot less likely to see terrible games.
It doesn't look like this is a case of playing your idealized self, though. You play you as you are.

There were a bunch of games that tried this back in the late 70's early 80's. They didn't work out so well. I think there was even one where you stated each other up.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's the Indie RPG thread, which hasn't seen use in a while but could stand a bump.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I already had an innovative diceless ruleset that allows you to simulate yourself in a post-apocalyptic situation. All you need is:
  • Several boxes of cigarettes.
  • A t-shirt insulting the leader of a nation with a failed infrastructure.
  • A hat made of money.
Assemble the above components, travel to that nation indicated by the t-shirt, and don't worry. The rules will be taught to you as you play the game.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I already had an innovative diceless ruleset that allows you to simulate yourself in a post-apocalyptic situation. All you need is:
  • Several boxes of cigarettes.
  • A t-shirt insulting the leader of a nation with a failed infrastructure.
  • A hat made of money.
Assemble the above components, travel to that nation indicated by the t-shirt, and don't worry. The rules will be taught to you as you play the game.
Please don't leak playtest documents for Freebase LARP v.2

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FMguru posted:

Please don't leak playtest documents for Freebase LARP v.2

It turns out there have been a lot of them sent out, but they never get playtest reports back.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It turns out there have been a lot of them sent out, but they never get playtest reports back.

It sounds a lot simpler than Morton's List, no pesky tables.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm excited about all of these except the zombie one, to be honest. I'm especially intrigued about the 'Wrath of the Gods' book. Especially okay with this bit in the description page:

quote:

From the first signs of the dawning apocalypse, humanity’s priorities reshuffle dramatically. You and your friends have no chance of stopping the incoming apocalypse – you’re not superheroes after all. The best you can hope for is to survive and protect those close to you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Whew, a real game company is finally releasing the only books I ever felt compelled to write for the hobby. I am free! Free from having to show the world that play-yourself-apocalypse is the best. Well along with play-yourself-fantasy. Or play-yourself-vampires. -robots. -top-chef

(We discussed this in another chat thread? but the hate for play-yourself games mystifies me, as it has been the most guaranteed-fun kind of game for my gaming groups for 20+ years now, and only one of us is a doomsday prepper!)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FMguru posted:

I kind of misspoke because the problem is the is the same thing that Rulebookheavily wrote about a few months ago. Most if not all RPGs kind of imitate genres without any sort of introspection which is really the major issue with D&D too.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Just off the top of my head, problems with the concept:

1) Dunning-Kruger. I mean, come on, everyone overestimates themselves to some extent, but it seems particularly present in nerds. Half of the geeks on the Internet seems to think that when the zombies finally arrive, their spirit animal Vin Diesel will reveal himself and draw out the katana-wielding badass that was within them all along.

2) If everyone stats themselves accurately, we're still all a bunch of fat loving nerds. I would last approximately two days (an optimistic estimate) in an apocalypse before dying of dysentery. How many of the people at your table have actual, useful skills? How many of the people at your table have maxed out points in Internet Browsing?

3) Everyone is going to argue about all of this the entire time and it is going to be awful. Come on.

4) Why would I want to play myself? I play RPGs to get as far away from myself as possible and to do and be interesting things.

I can see the appeal, but I think there are a bunch of problems you need to address. Doing it in a system where things are apparently broken up into the "social, mental, physical" categories also seems like a really bad place to start; play yourself seems like it would work better as a more narrative game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Take a first aid course or something. Maybe do some martial arts. Learn to read a map and go for a hike. Go shoot a gun. Fix your bicycle and go for a ride.

Stop browsing the internet and get out of your house, for gently caress's sake.

• Locked thread