Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Cool, I picked it up after listening to One Shot Podcast play it, and I was a bit curious if it naturally bent a bit less serious or if it was just falling prey to the tendency of One Shot to be goofy as hell.
There's also the slight problem that OS doesn't always play with the rules as written, which would be fine if they weren't presenting a system for the first time and trying to sell people on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's also the slight problem that OS doesn't always play with the rules as written, which would be fine if they weren't presenting a system for the first time and trying to sell people on it.

Yeah, I picked that up real quick once I had the PDF up in front of me. On the other hand, that does sort of work because who's ever really played a new game for the first time rules as written?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, I picked that up real quick once I had the PDF up in front of me. On the other hand, that does sort of work because who's ever really played a new game for the first time rules as written?
Well, it can be problematic if I'm listening to see how a game I haven't seen before works, then I get the game and go "wait, this isn't like what they were doing".

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

One Last Job sounds fantastic.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I may throw up a pick up game later tonight to test drive it, if anybody's down!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'd love to, but I don't really have the time to play an RPG on a work night. Maybe some other time!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Quarex posted:

How many of you can I bribe to attend Gen-Con 2015?

How big is the bribe?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

DigitalRaven posted:

One of these years I will go to GenCon. When I can get organised enough to save up for the loving plane fare. And route via Dublin to avoid the hideous immigration bullshit. And arrange a hotel room. And set aside enough for a ticket. And set aside two weeks off when I don't have urgent deadlines to cover the con and the jet-lag. How Brookshaw manages it every year is beyond me.
Just become friends with https://www.youtube.com/user/87nellybelle/ as it seems like she has some sort of magical way to make flying from Dublin every year a reasonable decision instead of putting her into bankruptcy proceedings. Though she could be some sort of Irish Nerd Double-Agent, not sure. And of course you would still have to get to Dublin. Wait, what hideous immigration bullshit are you even talking about? I am interested as your best friend and also as an immigration officer.

thespaceinvader posted:

How big is the bribe?
;)

I would almost certainly pay for food and drinks at our traditional pre-convention Wednesday night Goonzone throwdown for anyone who actually came as a result of me prodding. So really just some VALUE ADDED to the decision to actually go, not so much "buying your plane ticket." Though I am the sort of person who would do that if I accidentally became independently wealthy.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Esser-Z posted:

oh my gosh this so much

Also after looking at the blurb on the site I kind of want to try and run HARD-LIVING HARD-COURTING TWO-FISTED REGENCY CRIME PRINCESSES because holy poo poo why wouldn't i

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Ningyou posted:

oh my gosh this so much

Also after looking at the blurb on the site I kind of want to try and run HARD-LIVING HARD-COURTING TWO-FISTED REGENCY CRIME PRINCESSES because holy poo poo why wouldn't i

I would so play that.

EDIT: I may try to make gencon next year. Depends on some stuff that's up in the air right now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Quarex posted:

How many of you can I bribe to attend Gen-Con 2015?

Unless something unexpected happens I will be at Gencon next year probably with (part of) a booth.

Quarex posted:

We are your friends, Evil Mastermind. Every one of us. Also be a badass and take a cheaper mode of transportation like I did. Not that I really recommend being on a train for nearly 24 hours normally.

Wonder how hard it would be to setup a "goon train" to Gencon like the PAX guys do. Everyone meets the same train along it's route and plays games for the entire ride.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ningyou posted:

oh my gosh this so much

Dibs on the Yakuza Princess! :cheeky:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Dibs on the Yakuza Princess! :cheeky:

B-but... That's... that's not a handsome man...

I'd be down for a goontrain, if there's one connecting Northwest Ohio to Gencon. I mean, worst case I can drive a state over, but the train'd be more fun.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Esser-Z posted:

B-but... That's... that's not a handsome man...

Have you never heard of crossdressing before? :cheeky: :cheeky:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So do I have to be a Patreon supporter to listen to Six Feats Under or is there a free way to listen to it?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

So do I have to be a Patreon supporter to listen to Six Feats Under or is there a free way to listen to it?

There is a free way - by following their thread here on SA.

The Breakfast Cult session, specifically, is not up yet, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I actually already had it bookmarked, though I've never gotten around to listening to it, I was just wondering if SFU was on some separate channel from LP13A.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Esser-Z posted:

EDIT: I may try to make gencon next year. Depends on some stuff that's up in the air right now.
Time to land that stuff.

Bucnasti posted:

Unless something unexpected happens I will be at Gencon next year probably with (part of) a booth.
Ooo, part of a booth! Awesome. We should keep tabs on what percentage of the exhibit hall floor has Goons involved. It had to have been at least like 1% this year! :( Still it is always fun seeing how many people are actually working at/running booths.

Bucnasti posted:

Wonder how hard it would be to setup a "goon train" to Gencon like the PAX guys do. Everyone meets the same train along it's route and plays games for the entire ride.
I love the sound of the Goon Train, though given how much weirder getting to Indianapolis by train is than getting to Boston, it would be a bit awkward (you have to take a bus from Chicago as the last leg[!] or of course have buddies to drive you in like I did). Plus I would be surprised if more than a couple of Goons would be coming from any given direction/on any particular train line. Tragedy.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Quarex posted:

Just become friends with https://www.youtube.com/user/87nellybelle/ as it seems like she has some sort of magical way to make flying from Dublin every year a reasonable decision instead of putting her into bankruptcy proceedings. Though she could be some sort of Irish Nerd Double-Agent, not sure. And of course you would still have to get to Dublin. Wait, what hideous immigration bullshit are you even talking about? I am interested as your best friend and also as an immigration officer.

Edinburgh to Dublin's easy. The last few times I've gone through immigration on American soil, it's taken far too long. The 11 hour LHR - SAN flight a couple of years ago had us in immigration for four hours. That was part of the reason for going direct to SAN rather than changing in the US, most layovers are an hour, two hours at most. I've only just got on connecting flights (from JFK and DWI) with less than ten minutes to spare because of it, and my boss has missed connecting flights entirely due to immigration delays.

Next year's probably out -- I'm going to be in the USA for LISA anyway, and I think that's going to stretch my tolerance for transatlantic travel for a while. Maybe 2016. If things go well.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

quote:

Lurkers Should Post

well okay

Mr. Maltose posted:

Just to repost my question because it was two posts before August Thread closed: Any impressions people have on One Last Job?

It's pretty good. A while back my group had two less people than usual so we held off on doing the planned game for that week and ran concurrent oneshots of Our Last Best Hope and One Last Job doing a custom scenario (the Collector Base run from Mass Effect 2). It's intuitive enough that if somebody's played an RPG before they can pick it up really easily, plus there's not that much to keep track of - stats are fairly minimal and most of the backstory is just kinda bullshitted as you go. People had fun.

I think I liked our run on OLBH more because by default it's a much more tense game (it's a given that almost everyone will die) and it really came down to the wire at the end with some cool action, but OLJ is more character driven so if you like being mechanically required to banter at people and generally take things less seriously then you'll like it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Waffleman_ posted:

I actually already had it bookmarked, though I've never gotten around to listening to it, I was just wondering if SFU was on some separate channel from LP13A.

It's the umbrella name for our whole thing, the 13A campaign, Medibot's D&D game, and all the specials and side-games. Once our web designer actually does the thing he's named for the structure will be a lot more obvious.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I'm a lurker. I've never played a tabletop game in my life. Last month, the nerd herd at work was talking about D&D and I got curious and bought the 5e PHB. How hard is it to just get into games over the internet? Should I read the book from cover to cover?

I've been reading about Dungeon World and that seems to be a little more my speed but seems to be more of a game you have to play with a group in person. Most of the time, it's impossible for me to schedule something like that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm a lurker. I've never played a tabletop game in my life. Last month, the nerd herd at work was talking about D&D and I got curious and bought the 5e PHB. How hard is it to just get into games over the internet? Should I read the book from cover to cover?

I've been reading about Dungeon World and that seems to be a little more my speed but seems to be more of a game you have to play with a group in person. Most of the time, it's impossible for me to schedule something like that.
Don't read the book from cover to cover, it's not necessary. It's generally easier to learn a new system in person, but there's no reason you can't play online. I don't know how well D&D runs online, but there are people here who do it.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

The Flying Milton posted:

Dungeon World and other Powered by the Apocalypse games (that's the system Dungeon World is based off of) play pretty well over the Internet. You'd be okay doing them through text chat, voice chat, or forum play by post. The mechanics focusing on narratively-triggered "moves", and the overall player-led style of play makes them pretty well suited to that last one, too.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

So I'm back from PAX and it has made me realize I really need more boardgames in my life.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Well, given the current board game renaissance, now's the perfect time to get into them.

(buy vlaada)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reene posted:

So I'm back from PAX and it has made me realize I really need more boardgames in my life.

The OP of the board game thread has a useful link to where people interested in getting into the hobby might want to get started: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493657&pagenumber=275#post413994681

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Goon Train sounds rad, and I was probably going to avoid air travel anyway to cut down on costs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I live less than 3 hours from Indianapolis, I have a brother who lives there, and he's got a nice house he barely lives in since his work sends him everywhere all the time.

My excuses are: I have two kids, and $1,500/month on day care means I have no money.

Maybe when the older hits kindergarten, I'll be able to go again. 2016. :smith:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I am the lurker, and thus I shall post.

So, I played Ladies and Gentlemen with some friends who came in town this week, and I read an online rule summary beforehand. The rule summary was not only inaccurate, but completely made up the entire Ladies' half of the game.

My friends were looking at me like I was crazy.

I showed them, though. I was the prettiest princess at the ball!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Reene posted:

Hey, my buddy who just got back from PAX said that he doubled his boardgame collection! And considering this is a guy who I met originally as "my wife's frat guy friend who wants to join the police," I was more than a little confused and delighted to hear how into board games he was. NERD HOBBIES WILL OVERCOME

Loki_XLII posted:

Goon Train sounds rad, and I was probably going to avoid air travel anyway to cut down on costs.
Yesssssss ..... yessssssssssss

Where would you be coming in from? We should clearly start seriously analyzing this possibility. If I trained in it would be from Plattsburgh, New York, to Chicago ... unless it was from Washington D.C. to Chicago instead but that assumes a lot.

You in Cincinnati, Bucnasti? Or are you a big WKRP fan? Thematically that seems appropriate

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Capfalcon posted:

I am the lurker, and thus I shall post.

So, I played Ladies and Gentlemen with some friends who came in town this week, and I read an online rule summary beforehand. The rule summary was not only inaccurate, but completely made up the entire Ladies' half of the game.

My friends were looking at me like I was crazy.

I showed them, though. I was the prettiest princess at the ball!

I too am a lurker!

My friends love playing ladies and gentlemen. It gets so crazy when there are 8 or 9 people and we just really try to screw everybody on our side of the table up.

It isn't that fair when me and one of my friends pair up since I can usually have money to buy every pretty thing he wants forever. I think when we have been together we have only lost once.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Quarex posted:

Though I am the sort of person who would do that if I accidentally became independently wealthy.

Let me know when that happens, because it's probably the only way we're coming over from Australia, much as I'd like to come one of these years.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
I am a lurker and I am posting.

This week I'm hoping to have the opening character gen and town creation for my World of Dew group. We're going with an 1860s setting in a made-up port city, so the idea is that we'll be exploring in the build up towards the civil war conflicts and see if/how their lives play into it. Should be fun, I hope!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've been able to play more board games than usual lately (i.e.; actually play board games) during this lull in 13th Age Tales. It was a nice change of pace and I actually got to play some of the game I own finally!

I also got to play Sentinels of the Universe, which is really fun.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been lurking Tekopo's wargaming thread for a while now, but on a whim I read the GURPS game of the month OP and something just clicked: you can play a PnP RPG that doesn't drown itself in rules!

... and then I went back and looked for more beginner-type stuff because GURPS itself is still really crunchy (ha! jargon!) which was when I discovered stuff like Microlite20, Dungeon World and FATE and despite the fact that I've only GM'd a single 3-hour session over IRC and really no guarantees that I'll have anything close to a regular group to play with, I'm already reading through a dozen different TG threads and thinking about buying a Chessex Pound o' Dice and oh-god what am I getting myself into.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

gradenko_2000 posted:

no guarantees that I'll have anything close to a regular group to play with, I'm already reading through a dozen different TG threads and thinking about buying a Chessex Pound o' Dice and oh-god what am I getting myself into.
One of us! One of us!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's already too late. The swinification process is already underway.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been lurking Tekopo's wargaming thread for a while now, but on a whim I read the GURPS game of the month OP and something just clicked: you can play a PnP RPG that doesn't drown itself in rules!

... and then I went back and looked for more beginner-type stuff because GURPS itself is still really crunchy (ha! jargon!) which was when I discovered stuff like Microlite20, Dungeon World and FATE and despite the fact that I've only GM'd a single 3-hour session over IRC and really no guarantees that I'll have anything close to a regular group to play with, I'm already reading through a dozen different TG threads and thinking about buying a Chessex Pound o' Dice and oh-god what am I getting myself into.

One year from now you'll be looking at a bookshelf groaning with books (or a 1gb folder of pdfs), while painting up some 1813 French soldiers and be wondering why you never did this before.

Esser-Z posted:

I just got it, and yeah, I think I may be putting up a PBP thread later.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
It's me, I'm the lurker.

I've not done GenCon before, but some college buddies and I used to do Origins each year back before adult life kicked in. All this con-chat is giving me the itch to try to plan some kind of nostalgia trip, but most of the group is either super busy or crushed by student loan debt.

I did just hit the MN renaissance fair yesterday though (which is something like the 3rd largest in the country) and bought a sweet cavalier's hat to finish my costume. Now I just have to come up with a way to keep the cats from destroying the feathers.

• Locked thread