Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Davin Valkri posted:

Why is Far West interesting again, and why is Skarka more interesting than any other failed heartbreaking kickstarter? Honest question; I've kinda got him mixed up in my head with the pundit guy and other people like that.
He's been in the industry for a while, and has a fairly extensive portfolio, going back at least to Hong Kong Action Theater! from Event Horizon Productions. I don't think anyone would care anywhere near as much about the Far West Kickstarter fiasco if he weren't so insanely combative and hostile. At this point cooler heads would at the very least be apologizing for the delay, and quite possibly have issued refunds, and even a scammer who intended to run off with the money would be quieter and less ragey about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Reminder, this is explicitly the FEEL OF THE GAME that 5e is trying to gain back.
I hadn't exactly been in the mood for D&D, but when I got dragged into a Pathfinder one-shot, I was really struck by how it felt like D&D just plain contributes less to the fun of the game than many other RPGs do, and even more so at low levels.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

g.txt did get kinda ugly at times, but it could also be fun. The biggest issue I think is that it got so big that we largely mined out most of the grog from the past, even getting into stuff like crazy usenet posts and groggy letters to Dragon Magazine from the 70s. That leaves us with a lot of the guys who think they're in a "culture war," eyeroll-inducing ENWorld posts, and a bit of the stuff where someone turned their DeviantArt fetish into d20 prestige classes, and not nearly as much of the fun-crazy stuff. The current version is kind of vestigial, but probably better for everyone's mental health all the same.

moths posted:

It was pretty rad back when it was a voice calling out the shitbag in this hobby. Nobody's really taken up the slack, and I'm almost certain that's why two grog.txt super-offenders are credited in the year's largest rpg release.
OTOH one of those guys is one of the most obsessive self-googlers in the universe, so hopefully people realizing that mentioning him in any way is a bad idea will lead to him sliding into irrelevance. The most bizarre thing about the whole 5e consultants thing was that it happened at all despite those guys' awfulness being so readily apparent in what they voluntarily put on the internet as the stuff they want everyone to see, with or without the peanut gallery chiming in.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Everything I've ever seen about Ironclaw (and Jadeclaw) suggests to me that it's totally benign and not creepy. Which is cool, really, talking animal people are pretty neat on their own.
I could totally see someone being a huge fan of it and leading to a legendary Cat Piss Man thread post, but the game itself is pretty much just straight-faced and (IIRC) relatively low-magic fantasy with animal people instead of the usual cliche fantasy races. Jadeclaw meanwhile probably did "Asian fantasy" better than a heck of a lot of other Western-made RPGs.

• Locked thread