Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

One of these years I will go to GenCon. When I can get organised enough to save up for the loving plane fare. And route via Dublin to avoid the hideous immigration bullshit. And arrange a hotel room. And set aside enough for a ticket. And set aside two weeks off when I don't have urgent deadlines to cover the con and the jet-lag. How Brookshaw manages it every year is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Quarex posted:

Just become friends with https://www.youtube.com/user/87nellybelle/ as it seems like she has some sort of magical way to make flying from Dublin every year a reasonable decision instead of putting her into bankruptcy proceedings. Though she could be some sort of Irish Nerd Double-Agent, not sure. And of course you would still have to get to Dublin. Wait, what hideous immigration bullshit are you even talking about? I am interested as your best friend and also as an immigration officer.

Edinburgh to Dublin's easy. The last few times I've gone through immigration on American soil, it's taken far too long. The 11 hour LHR - SAN flight a couple of years ago had us in immigration for four hours. That was part of the reason for going direct to SAN rather than changing in the US, most layovers are an hour, two hours at most. I've only just got on connecting flights (from JFK and DWI) with less than ten minutes to spare because of it, and my boss has missed connecting flights entirely due to immigration delays.

Next year's probably out -- I'm going to be in the USA for LISA anyway, and I think that's going to stretch my tolerance for transatlantic travel for a while. Maybe 2016. If things go well.

• Locked thread