Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Every one of my Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes has said "gently caress this, Fridays are optional and I don't intend to choose that option so if you show up, have fun alone". Semester full of three day weekends is going to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Victor Vermis posted:

Wow, they were able to get the guy that wrote the book for the class?

Or the guy who taught the class picked his own book.

One of my profs wrote the textbook for his class and it loving sucks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Victor Vermis posted:

Wow, they were able to get the guy that wrote the book for the class?

God damnit am I missing a blatant troll here?

It was a very broad class since it covered earliest history/civilizations to about 1500-ish. So a little about a lot. It wasn't a traditional text book. It was fairly small and was more pages covering a very small time period with historical significance and little bullet points and factoids with bits about the Roman emperor at the time (if applicable) on that page.

I have it at home I'll have to dig it up.

-edit Welp :argh:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 4, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Jarmak posted:

Or the guy who taught the class picked his own book.

One of my profs wrote the textbook for his class and it loving sucks.

:thejoke:

I actually haven't had one of those yet but I understand they're pretty common and often it's a scummy move by the professor to push books.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

:thejoke:

I actually haven't had one of those yet but I understand they're pretty common and often it's a scummy move by the professor to push books.

I haven't seen a whole lot of that but you have to be careful about required book lists whether the professor's written them or not. I've bought a few books that never ended up being used for the class. You can usually go a week or two without buying any of the books to feel it out.

Also definitely look up the "International Edition" for everything on the list. They're usually softcover, black and white editions of textbooks intended for sale in poorer countries and they come with a sticker that says "Not for sale in the US" (lol gently caress you). You can save a ton of money buying those, but keep in mind that engineering textbooks will have everything translated to metric units instead of imperial.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

On that note the older versions are usually just fine. Only problem is the page numbering or chapter order might be different. My anatomy and physiology book was $300 or some bullshit but the previous version was $30 and was the exact same poo poo as far as I could tell :shrug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I haven't used anything but metric for scientific applications. Outside of civil engineering or construction related poo poo you're going to see metric in STEM.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Also just torrenting PDF versions of textbooks has saved me a few hundred dollars

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I haven't used anything but metric for scientific applications. Outside of civil engineering or construction related poo poo you're going to see metric in STEM.

all of my aerospace textbooks favored imperial (loving lbm and lbf is retarded), but stuff that isn't tied to a century or more of US manufacturing legacy is going to use metric. one of the things i'm grateful for with my degree is that i'm pretty proficient in both.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 4, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Also just torrenting PDF versions of textbooks has saved me a few hundred dollars

I wish this was a more widespread thing when I was in school. :(

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

More like SI. :smug:

Also certain fields use cgs.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I wish this was a more widespread thing when I was in school. :(

I still wish it were more widespread. I've only been able to torrent like 2 books.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Can't you "rent" most books on a tablet? Or is that not even worthwhile or what?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Christoff posted:

Can't you "rent" most books on a tablet? Or is that not even worthwhile or what?

No it's a scam with retarded pricing

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

RichieHimself posted:

Yeah, it's totally a great idea to follow up 4+ years of being miserable doing something you hate with another 4 years of being miserable doing something you hate.

If you like science or math or need to make fat stacks when you graduate, then by all means do some STEM poo poo. If you hate math or science (like many of us do) then tell STEM to suck your stem and learn about history or playing with rocks or get a rhetoric degree and live your dream writing erotic fiction about your co-ed roommates.

If the mere fact that something is hard makes you miserable, give up on life. If you aren't pathetic, it should be just the opposite. Tons of people hate math simply because they are bad at it, and so they never bother to get good at it. With the exception of pure humanities majors like English or Philosophy, there are very few courses of study where higher degrees of math won't make you objectively better at your job - especially things like business, economics and social science. So instead of getting drunk 4 nights a week, take Calc II instead of capping out at "Calculus Concepts for Business" and show people that you ain't no punk bitch.

EDIT: For books, I like to buy one edition back and then download the pdf off pirate bay. The old editions are under $40 usually and the major differences are they shuffle around the questions just as a 'gently caress you.' I read out of the textbook and liberally underline, make margin notes and highlight. Then I do assignments out of the PDF text. The real fucker is some companies are now making specific versions of the texts for one specific school. My microbiology text says "Special Edition for the University of Pennsylvania" and doesn't look anything on the inside like the regular version of the text.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 4, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One of my profs teaches a couple of classes this year where they use his books. He gets $4 in royalties per copy. He ranted about wishing he could give each of us the $4 back but that might have been a clever way for him to say that he got $4 from all of us and there's nothing we can do.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
for gently caress sake

this goddamn private school that my gfs cousin (who is staying with us from china) is going to didnt give us the list of textbooks until today. does the school have them? oh gently caress no you have to find them on your own. school started 2 days ago and oops guess what since everyone just got this info poo poo is sold out or listed at loving crazy rear end prices like this :

oh and im pretty sure this school cost like 25k per year, and they did this same bullshit last year as well with the books

edit : oops my bad! the school actually cost $28,500 for a year

ded fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 4, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ded posted:

for gently caress sake

this goddamn private school that my gfs cousin (who is staying with us from china) is going to didnt give us the list of textbooks until today. does the school have them? oh gently caress no you have to find them on your own. school started 2 days ago and oops guess what since everyone just got this info poo poo is sold out or listed at loving crazy rear end prices like this :

oh and im pretty sure this school cost like 25k per year, and they did this same bullshit last year as well with the books

edit : oops my bad! the school actually cost $28,500 for a year

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/viewitem.php?item=precalc

Looks like you can buy it direct.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

One of my profs teaches a couple of classes this year where they use his books. He gets $4 in royalties per copy. He ranted about wishing he could give each of us the $4 back but that might have been a clever way for him to say that he got $4 from all of us and there's nothing we can do.

Unless the class was incredibly complex or super specific I fail to see the point in buying books.

It wasn't until grad school that when "recommended reading material" actually became useful because the information was pertinent to actual research and allowed you to have a quick go to reference since half of that poo poo isn't on google/pub med/proquest anywhere.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I'm not dealing with undergrad here. I have to buy all my books. The VA pays for them so I don't give a gently caress, honestly.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ya ordered that. $59.26 with fastest shipping but who cares his family can loving afford it they are rich as balls.

this is 9th grade btw

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I'm not dealing with undergrad here. I have to buy all my books. The VA pays for them so I don't give a gently caress, honestly.

Might as well buy all of the books and throw in some quantum physics while you're at it to decorate a nice book shelf.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My freshman English professor is loving awesome. Dude was all like "Yeah, I could make you buy a reader for our course, but gently caress that Imma just link the articles directly. I made printoffs of the chapters we are doing for fiction available in the library. You should.....nt but could make copies of those at the printer two aisles down... I mean violating copywrite for 90 year old fiction is bad... But it would be literally easier to do that than wait at the book store line. "

Dude is god damned legit and took the 4 extra hours to save each of his students 40ish$. I wish I could care about anything as much as he cares about students.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

I wish I could care about anything

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Started another school year last week. Got lots of money from state and federal grants. Also found all my books online or I rented them for cheap. Going to be an easy semester taking two computer science theory courses, multivariable calc, a technical writing class, and astronomy as a science elective. Also been 90 degree weather so its been nothing but cut off and booty shorts everywhere.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TheQuietWilds posted:

If school is easy you're doing it wrong. You're wasting money if you aren't taking the best science and math courses you can. If you're breezing through, keep adding upper division technical courses (math, stats, hard science, comp sci, etc) until it is hard. Don't gently caress off and act like you didn't trade a good portion of your youth, and probably a significant portion of your life expectancy, for a second chance to not be dipshit, jesus. There's seriously no excuse for not understand how the world works at this point, and how it works is that people who have skills that are in demand get to set the terms of their employment and people who don't get to grovel. If you spend out your GI bill and don't pack in every actually employable skill, you should stab yourself in the face repeatedly.

lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pretty much.

Take some fun poo poo along with the hard stuff. I kept taking classes with this one history teacher because she was awesome. Do I have any practical use for "History of Medicine and Magic"? Hell no, but chatting up all the crazy poo poo the greeks and egyptians thought was medicine makes for entertaining small talk at parties.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

i just went to trade school, still leeching them benni's tho

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

That's the whole point of electives.

We had two "electives" during nursing school, it was highly recommended we did one of the summer nursing school electives but wasn't required. I think a few people did some scuba diving course and I ended up in some fundamentals of television broadcasting poo poo. Didn't learn much except broadcasters wear a ton of make-up.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

TheQuietWilds posted:

If the mere fact that something is hard makes you miserable, give up on life. If you aren't pathetic, it should be just the opposite. Tons of people hate math simply because they are bad at it, and so they never bother to get good at it. With the exception of pure humanities majors like English or Philosophy, there are very few courses of study where higher degrees of math won't make you objectively better at your job - especially things like business, economics and social science. So instead of getting drunk 4 nights a week, take Calc II instead of capping out at "Calculus Concepts for Business" and show people that you ain't no punk bitch.

Actually it is the opposite for me, I enjoy things that are hard :gay:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ugh, got a ticket for getting stuck in an intersection in heavy traffic behind a FedEx truck when the light turned red. Asshat cop was standing right there and goes, "you just ran a red light, what's up with that?" gently caress you, that's bullshit and you know it.

Meet me in court, piggy, and read up on NYS vehicle and traffic law before you do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You're not supposed to stop in the intersection, so you're probably boned. That said, it's NYC...you HAVE to do that to get through any intersection. I've never seen or heard of them trying to enforce that in the city.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Does anybody read the "DON'T BLOCK THE BOX" signs in NYC?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Were you going straight or trying to make a left?

Red light tickets are loving expensive

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It wasn't in NYC and I did clear the intersection; I was stopped briefly, but the truck scooched up enough for me to get out. That's when he flagged me down. In retrospect, he probably thought I was trying to sneak through behind the truck. There were two cops there gigging people for dumb poo poo.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Taking some War and Society class as an elective and thought it was going to be some dumb sociology poo poo. Instead I just get to learn about the time Julius Caesar hosed up a bunch of Gauls and scared the poo poo out of all of Germania. Wish I took this class last semester apparently he did a whole thing on Persia vs the Greeks

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Also, just heard someone say "nice fedora" with no trace of sarcasm or irony.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Also, just heard someone say "nice fedora" with no trace of sarcasm or irony.

How hard was it to stifle your urge to kill?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVOgPzXm7g

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Carteret posted:

How hard was it to stifle your urge to kill?

That would've been impolite so he just said, "Thank you, good sir."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

Godholio posted:

That would've been impolite so he just said, "Thank you, good sir."

lmbo

• Locked thread