Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I've got a 2010 Fusion that's coming up on 5 years and 60k miles. Great car, no major issues at all so far. Only thing I've had to do outside of regular oil changes is new brakes a couple months back and I'll need new tires before winter. If I could do it over again I'd probably get the 6 cylinder for more rear end, but it gets the job done as is. We do a mix of city and highway driving and get around 30 mpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Gonna echo the Subaru recommendations, plus the Genesis coupe. The Genesis has more room than you could ever need up front, with the obvious catch that there's not much room for the so-called "back seats" or trunk. Very nice car, though, and the 3.8 Track is tight as gently caress.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Godholio posted:

Ah, so you're the one.

Granted it has been in the body shop twice. Both times cause of getting hit while parked.

But outside of oil, brakes, tires and getting keys made it hasn't been in the shop at all.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Gonna echo the Subaru recommendations, plus the Genesis coupe. The Genesis has more room than you could ever need up front, with the obvious catch that there's not much room for the so-called "back seats" or trunk. Very nice car, though, and the 3.8 Track is tight as gently caress.

I have a 3.8 R-Spec, and the backseats are reserved for random poo poo and insurance purposes. You might be able to slam a childseat back there if you were lucky.

So much fun though :unsmigghh:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Godholio posted:

I don't think I know anyone who's bought a VW in the last 10 years that hasn't regretted it within 6 months or so because they're steaming piles of poo poo.

What the gently caress. Did they buy MK4s? I've had a Mk5 (2006) and currently own a Mk6 (2010) GTI, and neither are steaming piles of poo poo. The only reason I don't still have the MK5 is it was in an accident.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Whelp, Plates are off the Scion. It's officially not mine anymore. :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Somebody else's hands are going to be all over her from now on.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Somebody else is going to be inside her very soon. It's gonna be a long ride.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I bet that motherfucker's name is Jody, too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Carteret posted:

I bet that motherfucker's name is Jody, too.

I bet he's a nice guy and a good listener to odd engine noises who changes the oil and rotates the tires regularly.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mad Dragon posted:

What the gently caress. Did they buy MK4s? I've had a Mk5 (2006) and currently own a Mk6 (2010) GTI, and neither are steaming piles of poo poo. The only reason I don't still have the MK5 is it was in an accident.
01 Passat about to be put out to pasture at 125k with close to 4k put into repairs. Never again

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mad Dragon posted:

An 05 or 06, an 08, and a 10 are the ones I can think of. All Passats and Jettas. I think they were all gas but its been a while.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The only problem I had with my Mk3 was the plastic(:psyduck:) chain guides that wore out on the VR6 that would have cost more to fix than the value of the car. Rattled like a bitch, but was completely drive-able. I sold it to some dumbass kid who ended up wrapping it around a telephone pole before the chain failed.

I miss the sound a VR6 makes with a nice exhaust :smith:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You know what's better than cars?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

sun burn?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Vanity plates?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that car is by far the most attractive and valuable thing in the photo

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Godholio posted:

An 05 or 06, an 08, and a 10 are the ones I can think of. All Passats and Jettas. I think they were all gas but its been a while.
Booooring. Probably non-turbos. GTI is where it's at, son. My next car will probably be the GTD, though. VW diesels are practically indestructible.

Carteret posted:

I miss the sound a VR6 makes with a nice exhaust :smith:

How about a VR6 with no exhaust? I SAID H never mind. Just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbc6-Rw4kYo

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Mad Dragon posted:

Booooring. Probably non-turbos. GTI is where it's at, son. My next car will probably be the GTD, though. VW diesels are practically indestructible.

How about a VR6 with no exhaust? I SAID H never mind. Just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbc6-Rw4kYo

lmao 151 lb/ft

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

lmao doesn't understand how a dyno works.

Also can't read. It was 161.9 to the wheels. A stock VR6 made 172hp/173lbft at the flywheel.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 6, 2014

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you get a subaru, avoid the 2.5s up til '04 or something, the head gasket issues they get cost $2000 to fix. I liked everything else about the car, though. AWD is the best for the week we have snow on the ground, but garbage for gas mileage.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

VR6 with ITBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InyyGpAIj2g

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

If you get a subaru, avoid the 2.5s up til '04 or something, the head gasket issues they get cost $2000 to fix. I liked everything else about the car, though. AWD is the best for the week we have snow on the ground, but garbage for gas mileage.

I've got an 09 2.5 and its been solid. Gets hotter than a bitch in direct sunlight though and the gas mileage isn't the greatest, but its AWD and will drive through anything within reason.

Also, its just miserable outside right now. Dunno how yall live in the SE.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Wife has a 2000 jetta, worked great, decided yesterday to just not start. Cranks and cranks, but nuthin. gently caress!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

That poo poo is never not old. The very idea/concept of the VR6 is an example of when german engineering works out for the best.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
roommates' '02 Passat sedan cost him a head, head gasket, water pump, radiator, ecm. then someone stole his keys, and he wound up shelling out over $2k to have the back left door switch replaced, after all the unnecessary repairs were made so he could use his valet key. fun fact, if your door locks stop working, you can disarm the immobilizer without a keyfob, apparently. The door switch tripped me up, ten minutes on google, and I was telling the dealership what was wrong with it. they have the most incompetent service techs, and if you can't so much as give the car a solid look over for other interconnecting faults then you're just a parts changer. I've yet to meet a VW dealer tech that knew how to troubleshoot.

girlfriends' '04 Passat sedan so far, head, gasket, water pump, coolant flange, it's a magnet for bad parkers and has been hit twice in the past few months, then backed into once by me. it's the mazda curse without the mazda.

a friend and former co-worker had an '07 Passat wagon tubro. Head, gasket, exhaust manifold, turbo, ecu x2, abs poo poo the bed. he got lucky, bought it used but the dealer gave him a 1 year/12k mile bumper-to-bumper and this poo poo all unfolded 8 months and 10k miles into it. AND they still tried to charge him.

this is a VW branded dealership, not some poo poo-box buy here pay here lot. loving. garbage.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My Audi is pushing eight years old and the only non-scheduled-maintenance repair has been a window regulator that went bad. I haven't broke 40k miles though, and I still wouldn't recommend a Volkswagen product or probably buy another one.

If you're bitching that a 10+ year old car that probably has six-figure mileage needs non-trivial work, or that your total ownership cost for an aging vehicle isn't nothing, you're being silly. This is one hell of an enlisted conversation about cars, too

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Toot toot its time for a boat ride

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Mad Dragon posted:

lmao doesn't understand how a dyno works.

Also can't read. It was 161.9 to the wheels. A stock VR6 made 172hp/173lbft at the flywheel.

which on a fwd car would work out to be about 150-160lb/ft after drivetrain loss. not my fault whatever ghetto dyno that was on has the worst display software I've ever seen and they barely focused on numbers anyway

but for real thats some weak rear end numbers even for stock

edit: the itbs are cool though

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I recorded that in 2006 with a 640x480 camera. :shrug:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Toot toot its time for a boat ride

I can understand the appeal of this car

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GRID Autosport is 50% off on Steam this weekend for you petrolheads

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

My Audi is pushing eight years old and the only non-scheduled-maintenance repair has been a window regulator that went bad. I haven't broke 40k miles though, and I still wouldn't recommend a Volkswagen product or probably buy another one.

If you're bitching that a 10+ year old car that probably has six-figure mileage needs non-trivial work, or that your total ownership cost for an aging vehicle isn't nothing, you're being silly. This is one hell of an enlisted conversation about cars, too

My Impala had 60,000 miles on it and needed a transmission and steering linkage rebuild. It was 12 years old but gently caress me I expected to just be replacing seals and belts with that kind of mileage on it. God drat thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can understand the appeal of this car

Thanks. Just bought it today. Having a suspension that can handle a speed bump without making my back cry is incredible.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Thanks. Just bought it today. Having a suspension that can handle a speed bump without making my back cry is incredible.

Yeah whatever dude, put some 24s on that fucker

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So I sold my iPhone 5S and have been using a hand-me-down Nokia.

Windows Phone 8.1 isn't terrible. Who knew?

Fake edit: Almost certainly getting the new iPhone but this is surprisingly nice.

I've got two friends who have Windows Phones and they're 100% more useful than Android.

That being said

krispykremessuck posted:

no imessage? garbage

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
"Hello everyone! First off, I do not go by my given name Katelyn. My name is Dominic and my pronouns are they and them."

Online classes are awesome because I can straight up ignore anything this person posts.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

cite GiP in one of your gay college posts

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Just post "kill yourself" and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mike-o posted:

Just post "kill yourself" and be done with it.

• Locked thread