Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceslice
May 20, 2005

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

C-17 was pretty drat comfortable compared to some of the bullshit I've had to sleep in / on / around. Sleeping bag on the ramp and I'd be out like a light. :3: Beats a drat cot through novelty alone.

I was asleep so fast I never had a chance to regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

C-17 was pretty drat comfortable compared to some of the bullshit I've had to sleep in / on / around. Sleeping bag on the ramp and I'd be out like a light. :3: Beats a drat cot through novelty alone.

C17 sleeping is the best. Ruined my commercial flying experience forever.

Pillow, 3 inch thick sleeping mat, sleeping bag, and junk food for the trip for a kick rear end flight.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

PRIVATE JOKER! WHY ARE YOU NOT PUMMELLING PRIVATE PYLE FOR HAVING SUCH A GAY-rear end PILLOW?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Man that's half the fun. Walking through the barracks on drill weekend the bunks were done up in all kinds of poo poo, including spongebob sheets.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Actually, now that I think about it, that would be pretty cool.

No more OD Green US ARMY wool blankets, no more lumpy rear end pillows that the last guy who had them probably hosed nightly before turning it in on the weekly laundry turn-in, no more rough rear end abrasive sand-paper-esque sheets.

Just Spongebob sheets, a nice down comfortor, and some decent pillows.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Spongebob print woobie would be the motherfuckin poo poo

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My AIT company had a competition during health and welfare inspections to see who could have the gayest bedding/pillows. Only winner I can clearly remember from that many years ago was the full-body Twilight pillow, though there was some stiff (heh) competition from the Princess Peach pink-on-pink sheet set. Surprisingly in an intel weenie company nobody was brave (read: socially inept) enough to go for My Little Pony.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

SumYungGui posted:

My AIT company had a competition during health and welfare inspections to see who could have the gayest bedding/pillows. Only winner I can clearly remember from that many years ago was the full-body Twilight pillow, though there was some stiff (heh) competition from the Princess Peach pink-on-pink sheet set. Surprisingly in an intel weenie company nobody was brave (read: socially inept) enough to go for My Little Pony.

Wow, there were guys that were doing that back in '08. Glad to see the tradition's still alive.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

SumYungGui posted:

Don't worry, I had to do some room inspections when I was there (hooray for student leadership...) and there was a room with MLP decorations in it. Coffee cup, screensaver, and a poster. Sigh.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Never understand how the military could simultaneously be "gently caress them faggots" and "I can be more gay than you."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Cole posted:

Never understand how the military could simultaneously be "gently caress them faggots" and "I can be more gay than you."
You're trying to make sense of something that doesn't make sense.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
because if we let the gays in then they would outgay us (infantry (before DADT was repealed))
guess my old infantry buddies have a lot of competition now on who can look at the most dick

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Mike-o posted:

because if we let the gays in then they would outgay us (infantry (before DADT was repealed))
guess my old infantry buddies have a lot of competition now on who can look at the most dick

Confirmed. The infantry is the most homoerotic of all.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

zombie303 posted:

Confirmed. The infantry is the most homoerotic of all.

I think they just call it 'erotic', now

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Women allowed in Ranger School now?

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20140912/NEWS/309120058/Women-invited-apply-Ranger-School

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
a whole new meaning for ranger panties

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

:commissar:

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Mike-o posted:

Gay chicken post-wide champ '09 :dong:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Go ahead and apply.

As long as the standards aren't changed, who cares if the snake eater is sporting tits and an axe wound.

Not like it'll make the 75th any dumber.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Imagine the tears if a female team ever won Best Ranger.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

There's no reason women can't do pull-ups if the military would just stop assuming that women are physically incapable of doing it and start holding them to that standard. It has recently become a topic of discussion in the Marines now that they are letting women candidates through the infantry course, and there are plenty of anecdotes supporting that, with enough actual physical training, women could easily pass pullups. For the better, too, since it would mean you would get women infantrymen that are actually strong enough to be useful and not just army girl-strong. Making it difficult for women to pass isn't a bad thing and I don't think the people at TRADOC trying to make the PT test "fair" (read: easier for women in combat arms roles) is a very good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtqW2SYYxP0

Would rather have that Ridley-looking lady than some twig that can flexed arm hang for 2 minutes or whatever.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 15, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
The women in the Polish infantry were like 80s East Germany levels of jacked. They looked more fit than 80% of US soldiers that I saw.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

There's no reason women can't do pull-ups if the military would just stop assuming that women are physically incapable of doing it and start holding them to that standard. It has recently become a topic of discussion in the Marines now that they are letting women candidates through the infantry course, and there are plenty of anecdotes supporting that, with enough actual physical training, women could easily pass pullups. For the better, too, since it would mean you would get women infantrymen that are actually strong enough to be useful and not just army girl-strong. Making it difficult for women to pass isn't a bad thing and I don't think the people at TRADOC trying to make the PT test "fair" (read: easier for women in combat arms roles) is a very good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtqW2SYYxP0

Would rather have that Ridley-looking lady than some twig that can flexed arm hang for 2 minutes or whatever.

Exactly. The standards have to be the same regardless of gender if you are going for gender equality.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
BUT THATS MISOGYNY!!!1 :byodood:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
http://youtu.be/WcebgKvAoh0?list=PLAX8JHUJcFR2gh_WG3YJBITuO-tODVCcJ

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

:roflolmao:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Loving the fantastic advice they give in that video. "Tweet about it" because that is a solution to anything, at all.

The video description is a gem too, "This video contains RAPE! If you dont like rape, or wish to not be affiliated with rape at the level of not even seeing the word rape, then, uh... don't read this sentence and watch the video. Sexist game dev pigs gonna sexism."

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

http://m.ky3.com/news/fort-leonard-wood-officer-faces-27-sexual-assault-charges/21050474_28034564

We need more sharp training.

quote:

The charges against Sanchez include that he:

forced lower-ranking soldiers to have sexual relations with him;
told lower-ranking soldiers that they would be kicked out of the Army if they didn't have sex with him;
threatened to hurt soldiers who didn't have sex with him;
improperly touched soldiers "with the intent to gratify his own sexual desires;"
violated military regulations by engaging in sexual relations with soldiers under his command;
sexually harassed a fellow drill sergeant with provocative comments; and
harassed lower-ranking soldiers with provocative comments.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is clearly a junior enlisted problem.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Do IET soldiers get a SHARP class upon entry? I can't remember but I don't think I ever did. You'd think that would be a day 0 requirement, telling Joe that DS Biggus Dickus can't gently caress you under threat of chaptering you out and if you report them nothing ill will come of it.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Justin Tyme posted:

Do IET soldiers get a SHARP class upon entry? I can't remember but I don't think I ever did. You'd think that would be a day 0 requirement, telling Joe that DS Biggus Dickus can't gently caress you under threat of chaptering you out and if you report them nothing ill will come of it.

My first week was almost entirely SHARP/EO/Everything in the Army classes and the whole company getting smoked for someone falling asleep in one of these classes.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Justin Tyme posted:

Nimmy's experience mirrors my own. Basic had the deluge of Army Classes at the start, then a SHARP skit thing later on. During AIT, I know I had at least 6 SHARP briefings by bored Platoon Sergeants and an all-day long thing about "Consentacles" and being a "Blocktopus."

It's a super important topic, but holy poo poo Army, you're not very good at getting the point across.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is a Staff Sergeant even at all involved in chaptering people out of the Army?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Mustang posted:

Is a Staff Sergeant even at all involved in chaptering people out of the Army?

Yep. If they're in charge of dude's squad, section, or even strapping on the big britches and holding down PSG, it'll be them initiating it unless it's coming down from the CO/1SG.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Coming back from premob training.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You're mobilizing? You poor loving bastard. Kill yourself now and save yourself a year of torment and despair.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah, I'm a bench (extra) for an MPAD going to GTMO (i laughed, too). Kinda hoping somebody breaks a leg, but for now I'm staying. Got two weeks worth of pay, though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The day my trunk stopped looking like that was awesome.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have all this multicam poo poo that's utterly useless. Maybe I should sell it on eBay to questionable individuals from Central Asia so I can afford the next payment on my sweet GT-500 that I financed at 27%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I sold all my MARPAT poo poo to some paintballing teenagers for almost 2K in 08. Only old USMC poo poo I still have is the EGA I got at graduation and eye-pro that I use when I have to edge my yard. Feels good

• Locked thread