Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

origami posted:

It has been a year since Pettis won the belt and limped off into the sunset

A year this month since Cain/JDS 3 and neither have fought since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah manhoef may be a middleweight but his power denies the laws of physics.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Also I remember bas having some ridiculous theory that hunt was knocked out by hitting his head on manhoefs cup on the way down

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Ben Askren talks a lot of poo poo for a guy who's best win is a split decision over jay hieron.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yuriy posted:

Reem vs Rumble escalating

In all fairness, who knows what Askren makes behind the scenes at OneFC. If he's making more than a UFC champ to beat up Japanese dudes, then that's funny imo

I find that highly unlikely.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah I would bet on cain to win but if there's anybody who has chance to catch him slipping it's werdum.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

CommonShore posted:

My expectation for Cain-Werdum is that it will be a next-generation mma version of Fedor-Nog I.

My point is that fedor-werdum is not outside the realm of possibility.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

If Hunt has figured out kimuras in the last 8 years cain is done for.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

What was the deal with the octagon size at the Bendo vs Dos Anjos event? I remember WEC used a smaller cage but the Bendo/DA cage looked even smaller than that was.

It was the wec size cage. The event in Macau was the same day and used the full size cage. I would think they have more then one but who knows.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

He's definitely gotten better but it's important to remember he is really fast and athletic in addition to hitting hard. Seeing how he does with a really solid technical dude in Mousasi will be really interesting.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Then fell over like a cartoon man. As if he could only fall unconscious once he realised he'd been punched.

One of the key moments in the mysterious transformation of Cub Swanson into a good fighter.

Iirc he got hurt real bad to the body and tried to hold it together, then he got hit in the head and decided he had had enough of this.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Overeem just weighed in at 248 today, how loving big is Weidman really?

I think the angle is screwing it up a bit, I've never met weidman but I've met overeem and he is hilariously broad shouldered. Also weidman looks a little chubby while Alistair is in fight shape. Wouldn't be surprised if Chris is about 230 here.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I've said it before but Thiago Silva has yet to erase all the goodwill he has from me for the Brandon Vera fight, so welcome back buddy.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

For real though I'm at a loss for how charges got dropped, I know some guys who train with Pablo and from what they told me he went outside to calm him down and got threatened too. I know florida is a joke but still.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

yeah, but when i'm half the world away and know nearly no details i shouldn't passionately object to some rear end in a top hat returning to work. i don't only assess peoples characters on criminal convictions you crazy person or convicted felons would be the only assholes

From what I have heard through the grapevine Thiago is usually a great guy but has anger problems. Like I've heard of him flipping the gently caress out and destroying an over matched dude in sparring after he got caught with a hard shot.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Also jacare is a nightmare matchup for weidman.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

intriguing, yeah. nightmare, maybe not. jacare hits hard, but weidmaan can stand and win against lyoto and silva, so we'll assume he isn't threatened by jacare there. weidman's wrestling is a whole shitload better than mousasi's, who jacare had to legitimately work to drop. also, weidman's jits is by all accounts loving excellent.

still it's the fight i want to see most a MW atm

Weidman has very good jiu jitsu but jacare is pretty widely considered one of the absolute greatest of all time.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Nobody listened when I said having a brutal back and forth rivalry with Sergei Kharatonov may not be indicative of being the best heavyweight in the world.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

1st AD posted:

Just saw the card, Ben Rothwell proves that dad strength beats horse strength.

Also Jacare owns but I think Weidman would kill him - by the third round he was really gassed and Mousasi's jab started landing a lot, I think Weidman could do that more easily and maybe stop Jacare early. Also I can't envision Jacare taking Weidman down. He'll still probably get the next title shot though when Vitor pisses hot.

And where did the UH VAI MORRER chants come from, that arena was tiny and I didn't see the green flag flying anywhere.

When did Chris Weidman become superman. He's really good but it's getting s little silly how apparently no one in the world has any chance against him.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Like what from last night or any of jacare's recent fights would make you think Weidman will stop him early?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Then why didn't he get hit a lot when he rushed in against a really good striker

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Plenty of people have a chance against him, and Jacare is one of them. Nobody has a particularly good chance against him, because he is a very, very good fighter who is a bad matchup for most of his division.

Personally, as someone who picked Weidman over Silva the first time, I think that Machida and Jacare are the biggest threats to him at 185, and after that it's a bunch of people with the equivalent of a puncher's chance. I'll be interested to see what he does against other opponents, though.

These are essentially my feelings.

1st AD posted:

I think a tall and rangy striker who can defend takedowns and maintain output/not gas has a good shot against Weidman, especially in a 5 round fight with MMA judging being what it is. Weidman would always have the opportunity to hit someone really hard and/or submit them, however.

So Luke Rockhold?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Well yeah gus and jones would probably be favorites but I was only thinking of current middleweights.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

An important thing everyone is neglecting is that Anderson and machida had to worry about the takedown while jacare doesnt.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Hence Anderson goading to provoke a standing attack in the hopes of finding a counter, getting knocked out from the clinch in their rematch and Machida not being able to use lateral movement because Weidman cut him off?

All of those things highlight the level Weidman's striking is on and none really have to do with his opponents having their hands down out of fear of the takedown.

Weidman feints all the time so you don't know if a punch or the takedown is coming.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Actually, he does.

I think he would welcome it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

MagicCube posted:

Eh, well I just rewatched the first Weidman/Silva and if Weidman plays on the ground like he did against Silva I think Jacare would be able to take advantage of it much better than Silva did. However, it's kind of moot as well because I'm sure Weidman/Longo is smart enough to adjust the gameplan against someone better on the ground than him and not do the same against Jacare.

Weidman wasn't playing at all against silva on the ground, he was trying to finish the fight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

MagicCube posted:

I don't mean playing as in toying around, I meant it like "playing guard" or "playing berimbolo". You do BJJ, you should know what playing means.

Fair enough, I just misunderstood you.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

How does ben askren think he could beat hendricks.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I've long said that I want Askren in the UFC just so I can see his face when he can't get somebody down.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

manyak posted:

My favorite is when a foreign fighter who speaks english as a 2nd/3rd language and just fought for 15 minutes and is exhausted and concussed says something slightly weird and everyone jumps all over it lol. "if i suddenly got put on the spot with a mic in my face on Brazilian TV after just getting beaten up for 15 minutes I bet i would say some really cool and coherent poo poo for sure" - me, goon who only speaks english and cant run 40 yards without getting winded

The best was when Joe Rogan was pushing Anderson for a major life decision seconds after receiving a serious concussion, and while he was visibly trying to process how to handle having the most embarrassing thing in the history of combat sports happen to him.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Novum posted:

Anderson Silva is cool and good and I still like him.

Me too

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Log posted:

:respek:

If most people's leg did that, they would have a panic attack for the rest of their life getting out of bed. I still think Silva's clinch, knees, and hands will fry Diaz in no time.

I think Diaz is tailor made to get highlight reeled.

Snowman_McK posted:

I was in Indonesia when that fight happened, training with a nice traditional martial arts guy. That was the first MMA match he had ever seen. He was absolutely horrified. It was like watching calligraphy done with a man's head as the brush. It was also most definitely kickin' rad

How can you be a martial artist yet be horrified at watching a fight?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know what you would really expect if someone said "hey man, do you want to watch 2 guys locked in a cage have a fist fight?"

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

MagicCube posted:

You never know. You could get a Jacob Volkmann fight that involves very few fists thrown.

The first card I paid actual money for involved Sean Sherk laying on Hermes Franca for 25 minutes and for some reason I stuck around.

Actually that's probably why I love Anderson because he clowned Marqaudt right after that.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Why does everyone read storm front in sas

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Turn left thread noooooooo

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

coconono posted:

Jacare is gonna kick the poo poo out of Weidman. Might still lose because Weidman is traumatized by growing up in Jersey.

Weidman is from Long Island.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Will2Powa posted:

I watch mma and know what the fighters look like. I consider some of the brazillion and hispanic fighters white(like condit or jds) based on what they would pass as and probably be defined as within those communities and I also considered fighters from the caucasus as white. Either way, whites still make a higher proportion when compared to other races. Which does contest the original sentiment that MMA is dominated by minorities. A decent showing of minorities, sure. But not "dominated".

Why do you think about this so much. Why is anyone thinking about this so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It's just momentum at this point they'd cheer for whoever, say a guy who assaulted random people for fun as a youth.

Gus is white and stands quite erect.

• Locked thread