Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

It's only been a month since Brown vs Lawler but we went an entire month with barely any significant fun fights and it feels so good to finally have A Jacare match, Overeem match, Hunt match, Gomi match and Cerrone match all in one month. We made it.

Rothwell vs Overeem is going to be the greatest fight in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

I've been talking about this idea for a while and wishing it was a thing for Fight Pass/Fight Night cards on FS1 and it looks like they finally will be

Hopefully they've realized after the UFC176 and 177 debacles that they need to build more stars and I think that doing Bellator like vignettes/biography pieces on lesser known/smaller time fighters is a good start.

Bellator plays like a little clip detailing their lives and poo poo before every fight, even the undercard poo poo and they already do it on The Ultimate Fighter first episode, I think it'd be neat for more fighters to get some semblance of character so it's not just two generic assholes slugging it out

UFC already does this. They do lots of features on the Fight Nights and there's a countdown to the Fox shows that airs on Fox. It's good to do more but it isn't going to make much of a difference since no one watches FS1.

Edit: They definitely need to cut down on the talking head segments. They generally add nothing other than 2 guys pick 1 fighter and the other picks the other. If they aired more features like the one they aired on Costa (before he got thrashed) they'd be better off. You can't do one for everyone though, maybe one or two more? With Bellator I never remember a thing about the fighters because every Russian and Brazilian gets the same translator and all the packages look the same.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 2, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Greg Jackson posted:

They think they need an announcers desk like football but it just dilutes the product

Yuriy mentioned Chael on twitter and without him it really does. He was the only person on those panels who could really sell a fight. Cormier is OK at it, but needs work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Romero posted:

anyone else going to the foxwoods show friday? i got the cheap tickets but im in the front of the cheap area. i hope to see overeem at one of the clubs after if he doesnt cease existing during his fight

hope you all had a great long weekend

I'm going, God has blessed this show with health and heavyweights.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

TJ the bulldog Dillashaw has made a ton of money this year, I bet.

Anyway TJ is basically a lock for Fighter of the Year, right? He's won 3 fights this year, won the belt from a gremlin, saved a card from cancellation unlike the coward Jon Jones who almost cancelled another card, and he set a record with two 5th round stoppages.

The only other contender is Robbie Lawler but he's 2-1, even if those 3 fights were all extremely cool. Cerrone might also be up there depending on how the Alvarez fight goes. Technically we still have 4 more months to go but I don't see how anything else the rest of the year would change things unless Weidman snaps both of Vitor's feet or something.

If Lawler/Hendricks II somehow ends up in 2014 Lawler has a chance (although I think he'll lose that fight) but otherwise it's between Cerrone and Dillashaw right now. I guess I wouldn't count Werdum out either just because there's a chance Cain injures himself, doesn't pull out and Werdum pulls off a shocking upset.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Just saw the card, Ben Rothwell proves that dad strength beats horse strength.

Also Jacare owns but I think Weidman would kill him - by the third round he was really gassed and Mousasi's jab started landing a lot, I think Weidman could do that more easily and maybe stop Jacare early. Also I can't envision Jacare taking Weidman down. He'll still probably get the next title shot though when Vitor pisses hot.

And where did the UH VAI MORRER chants come from, that arena was tiny and I didn't see the green flag flying anywhere.

I didn't hear those chants but there were definitely some Brazilian fans. It was such a small building that I'm sure if there was a group of Brazilians near the cage you'd hear em.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's not like High wasn't getting cut after that loss anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MagicCube posted:

Why in the world would High have been cut after that loss if he hadn't pushed the ref?

My mistake I thought he was 1-3 and not 2-2 in this UFC run.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

I would fire any of my employees that did #1 or #2

Like I don't understand what upside there is to having Thiago Silva on the roster. Nobody knows who he is and he fights irregularly.

That's what's baffling about it. If it were Lauzon or someone you could at least go "I can see why Dana is loyal to him even though it turned out he's an immense shithead/psychopath." Unless Feijao owes Dana a lot of money I don't get this at all. Maybe he loves Thiago for monkey pissing hot after Vera and in the process giving us the gift of Rothwell/Vera?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I would bet money that the "other side" of the story Dana referenced is "she was cheating on him" and he figures that balances out

Either that or somehow he didn't actually do it. I don't believe that since it is so common for authorities to just give up on domestic violence cases at the first chance they get, but it is weird all charges were dropped. He threatened multiple people, in public, while armed, resisted arrest while armed and more, so it's kind of odd all charges would be dropped. Her cooperation shouldn't even be necessary for some of them. So maybe there's something to there being two sides, it just doesn't seem possible. It's also just so, so dumb for UFC to hire him back after the Grispi and War Machine arrests without some genuine proof he's completely innocent that seriously, what are they thinking?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hang on, the charges were dropped? :catstare:

You can read all about it here:

http://deadspin.com/documents-explain-why-prosecutors-dropped-charges-again-1632632330

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

PSP Medical Crew: http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/trt-ban-forces-ufc-headliner-bigfoot-silva-into-surgery

Is this a real thing because I feel like this guy is probably such a medical fuckup that he shouldn't be allowed to fight anymore, but then again he has had some good ones

He said he needed it or he'd die, he was going to sue his doctor then didn't, then claimed he would have gotten liver cancer from the TRT prescription he was given, etc. He also said he needed the steroids he was on after his first failure or he'd die and then didn't fail any steroid tests or get on TRT for years. He's full of poo poo. He might be going into surgery but I doubt it is for the reasons he says.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Maybe he is still cutting fat he gained from having a broken leg.

He could also be planning to cut more weight. If I remember interviews correctly he wasn't cutting crazy amounts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jon Jones regretfully informs the commission that he has an owie and cannot attend.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Centripetal Horse posted:

I was browsing the Hunt/Nelson card on UFC.com. Nelson's fight stats look somewhat less than stellar when they are laid out all in a row.

Significant strikes accuracy: 33.5%
Significant strikes absorbed per minute: 5.02
Takedown accuracy: 18.18%

Is there a resource that lists the average stats for various weight classes?

I wonder how much the strikes absorbed drops if you take out the JDS fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"Yip, very excited."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ariza posted:

If I go to watch this event tomorrow afternoon on Fight Pass, will they spoil the outcome of the fight on the website? I'm not signed up anymore and I don't remember what the main page looks like for members. I'm afraid I'll see "Watch Nelson knock out Hunt" or some such nonsense and I'll lose all desire to watch it.

There will be fight metric data under the video which will spoil things so be careful not to scroll down. The Fight Pass site itself doesn't spoil things (or I haven't noticed any) but if you want to be careful just go there now and grab the URLs for the streams.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

What did Anthony Johnson do?
Google did not explain why he was suspended.

http://m.ufc.com/news/ufc-statement-anthony-johnson

Domestic violence charges.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MacDougall posted:

Setting the over/under at 90 on days until Wanderlei signs with Bellator or One FC.

While I'm sure they'd love to he's still under a UFC contract and is going to be suspended for a long time by the NSAC.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wandy is so far up his own rear end.

Listen up teacher man, I don't like the way you treat my classmate! And to show you, I'm not going to take tomorrows math test! FREE MY NIGGA BARAO!

That or we're seeing CTE destroying his brain faster and faster.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

vainman posted:

Rename PSP to the Mark Hunt Hut immediately

Wrestle Hunt 2000

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

colonel_korn posted:

The number of views on their youtube page for the various countdown specials is pretty telling.

MM/Cariaso: 66K views
Cerrone/Alvarez: 86K views
McGregor/Poirier: 144K views

Love him or hate him, McGregor is definitely a draw.

That video has been up the longest of the three, and it's only been up a day so you really have no idea what kind of exposure it's had on UFC's site and social media compared to the other two. Conor might be the biggest star on the show, but this isn't really evidence.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

I will believe that when the cage door locks behind Nate and not a second before

You are going to feel foolish when he scrambles over the fence.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

Frankie vs Cub Nov 22 main event

Barbosa vs Green semi main too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

-Atom- posted:

did Josh Thomson retire again? because if not, I'd be totally down with that matchup

I'd be down with Josh getting murdered.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I consistently support reality as it happened, am in favor of cheating, and don't like Tim Kennedy. Thus, I feel morally and logically correct in feeling good about what happened.

The correct view on this situation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ewar Woowar posted:

I would like Tim Kennedy to whine so much that the fight became a no contest and then they took away his FotN bonus. Then have a rematch where Yoel Romero beats him up again.

I would also like him to piss hot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bioshuffle posted:

Even if I disagree with you, I am mature enough to understand that people have different opinions. I don't have to resort to flaming to make myself feel better.

Romero is a pants making GBS threads cheater and I am going to laugh when he gets what's coming to him. I'm going to come here to gloat and rub all of your faces in it. Can't wait.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Did you enjoy pants making GBS threads cheater Tim Kennedy getting what was coming to him? I can't wait for Tim to subtweet about it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EmmyOk posted:

Should I know Rick Story better than I do i.e. more than not at all?

You should, he's dumb, strong and a fun wrestle guy. Go watch his crazy arm triangle win over Foster from ages ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Scrapez posted:

But is boxing really bringing in that much more in PPV and gate revenue than UFC events?

If you add together the total fighter payout for this event, it's like what? 1.5 million?

That seems like a drop in the bucket for what the UFC had to be bringing in.

Fighters don't just make what is reported there is a lot more paid to them than what is made public for various reasons.

Floyd is paid so much Showtime can only break even on his fights if they do something like 900,000 buys. It is a very bad comparison. Look at the money the other fighters on the Floyd card made and compare them to the fighters on this card.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Either way the cost of actually broadcasting the event is much more expensive than the venue fee. We don't really know the details of UFC's break even point, but for WWE it was about 70,000 buys (when they were PPV oriented.) UFC pays its talent a much higher portion of their revenue than WWE so their break even point can be much higher (when fighters with PPV points and a high downside fight.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ariza posted:

Is Vitor the person that came closest to beating Jones? I know his fight with Gus was close, but Vitor's armbar was pretty legit from what I remember. Also, wasn't everybody riding the Belfort bus for that fight or was it just me? I hate being so alone in my MMA life.

edit - swingin deafie doesn't count because that was dumb

It was Bonnar, Bonnar came the closest.

• Locked thread